• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Warcraft' Movie Post-Production |OT| 20 months of...hype? Maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loxley

Aren't they doing some pretty fantastical marketing stuff over there as well?

Yep, the article mentions some of it:

World Of Warcraft has long been popular among the huge Chinese gaming community and the film adaptation had a major marketing push on December 31 at Joycity in Chengdu. There, fans got “the biggest free movie-themed exhibition ever mounted in China.” The Legendary Warcraft Experience featured lifelike character statues, and over 150 props, weapons and costumes from the film. Fans were also able to take part in a virtual reality ride on the back of the mythical Gryphon as it flew over Azeroth.

Loxley

Dat Kirin Tor symbol.

M72xkvD.jpg

TheYanger

Re: Magtheridon - It's not like he was in the games at this point either, it's easy enough to not show him but still fit his influence into the story without having to retcon it later or anything. Unlike the games they have the benefit of foreknowledge about how that plays out too, so it's easy to make it work. I think it'd just be a bizarre thing for anyone not familiar with it to be like "oh by the way here's some giant demon they're drinking the blood of" like...what.

Houndi101

Sounds super nice, fucking marketing don't kill this film I beg you!

Edit I can just see the orc leaders swagger walking to this

carlsojo

What's your dream post-credit scene?

Archimonde putting on a gauntlet and saying he'll do this himself?

*20 years later* and a shot of the Frozen Throne crashing into Northrend?

neorej

ERMYGERD!

I want to see the Orcs chopping wood (and one Orc better say "work, work"), getting attacked by the Night Elves, and Grommash drinking from the blood of Mannoroth.

Next would be Blackrock Clan Orcs saving Zul'jin from an Alliance ambush, and him swearing his alliegance to the Horde.

Sölf

Has anyone of you guys read the novel? Since it seems they really changed quite a bit of the lore (which doesn't bother me, because they always said the movie universe will be it's own thing).

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Sölf;202989643 said:
Has anyone of you guys read the novel? Since it seems they really changed quite a bit of the lore (which doesn't bother me, because they always said the movie universe will be it's own thing).

I'm actually reading Rise of the Horde now. It's quite good, actually. As I understand it, Jones is a major fan of the games, and he is aware of the retcons and changes Blizzard has made over the years to the lore to fit the narrative. He has made some alterations to the lore himself in order to make a better movie, but considering that both him and Rob Kazinsky are avid players and know the lore well (Rob knows it deeply by heart, if the recent Q&A on PAX East was an indication, dude was spitting knowledge like a maniac), I'm confident they will do the property justice.

Edit: Just came across this snippet, don't know if it was known;

Rob was bored at a slow shooting day on Pacific Rim, so he pulled out his laptop to play some WoW.

Rob Kazinsky said:
I was sitting next to Jillian Share from Legendary. I whip out my computer, and WoW pops up, and she's like ‘Are you fucking kidding me?’ And I was like, ‘What do you mean?’ ‘Don’t, don’t, don’t, Rob.’ I'm like, ‘What?’ She said, ‘Don't. You know what you are doing.’ I said, ‘I have no idea. What are you talking about?’ She's like, ‘You know we're making Warcraft.' I was like ‘Fuck!’ Then it was two years of just harassing her, and harassing her, and harassing her.

FeD.nL

The formation of the Silver Hand. Show me Uther, Turalyon, Tirion and Dathrohan becoming paladins.

Finaj

Just over two weeks til opening day in some countries so I sure hope we get some impressions soon lol

Hopefully they're positive. Good impressions are really the only thing that will make this film decently successful in the west given the awful marketing.

CassSept

I'm afraid I wouldn't put too much faith into early impressions, they are mostly made by dedicated fans who sought out a chance to attend preview screenings, even BvS fared well there.

Sölf

I'm actually reading Rise of the Horde now. It's quite good, actually. As I understand it, Jones is a major fan of the games, and he is aware of the retcons and changes Blizzard has made over the years to the lore to fit the narrative. He has made some alterations to the lore himself in order to make a better movie, but considering that both him and Rob Kazinsky are avid players and know the lore well (Rob knows it deeply by heart, if the recent Q&A on PAX East was an indication, dude was spitting knowledge like a maniac), I'm confident they will do the property justice.

I am actually not talking about Rise of the Horde, I read that myself. I meant the new Prequel Novel, Durotan. It is basically a movieverse Rise of the Horde, but the lore does differ. For example, Orgrim Doomhammer is a Frostwolf Orc in the Durotan novel, so he will be in the movie too. It's just a small change, but after reading a review it seems if we really want to enjoy the movie, we should just forget about the lore we know because else we will nitpick every little changed detail instead of enjoying the film, which, in the grand scheme of things, is still telling the Warcraft story, but with quite a few changes which however don't seem to interfer with the bigger story.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Sölf;203090335 said:
I am actually not talking about Rise of the Horde, I read that myself. I meant the new Prequel Novel, Durotan. It is basically a movieverse Rise of the Horde, but the lore does differ. For example, Orgrim Doomhammer is a Frostwolf Orc in the Durotan novel, so he will be in the movie too. It's just a small change, but after reading a review it seems if we really want to enjoy the movie, we should just forget about the lore we know because else we will nitpick every little changed detail instead of enjoying the film, which, in the grand scheme of things, is still telling the Warcraft story, but with quite a few changes which however don't seem to interfer with the bigger story.

Ah, didn't know there was another novel out, one specific to the movie. I'll pick that up later, thanks for the heads up.

I consider every medium to have it's own lore, anyway though. I don't expect Marvel-movies to follow the comics canon, same goes with videogame-adaptations of movies. I'm not too bothered with lore being changed, making Orgrim of the Frostwolf Clan removes the signifigance of Orgrim's and Durotan's friendship, but it's not something that can be shifted to something else in the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom