• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wargame: AirLand Battle |OT| "War is like an OT, it always finds a way."

scr03_zps54d372c0.jpg

cooltext1054171142_zps1861a2b6.png

"It is 1985. Tired of repeated provocations from the United States, the USSR strengthens its military capabilities and rises to the challenge of the confrontation. After several months of growing tension, an incident in the North Sea sparks an escalation. All over the world, Pact and NATO forces are mobilized and set the world on fire. As neither camp dominates the main front in Germany, fate hangs in the balance in Scandinavia..."

750 units. 12 Nations. Two Alliances. One Europe in flames.

~Legend~
(0) System Requirements
(1) Game Overview
(2) Gameplay Details
(3) Deck System
(4) IRISZOOM 3
(5) Dynamic Campaign
(6) Useful Links
(7) Anticipated Questions
(8) Final Comments

(0)System Requirements
Price: $39.99 (United States.) 25% off if you own European Escalation.
Genre: Real time Operational-level Cold War Strategy/Tactics, Turn based campaign
Platform: PC
Developer: Eugen Systems
Publisher: Focus Home Interactive
OS : WINDOWS XP SP3/WINDOWS VISTA SP2/WINDOWS 7/WINDOWS 8
CPU: AMD/INTEL DUAL-CORE 2.5 GHZ
RAM: 1024 MB (XP)/2048 MB (VISTA/7/8)
Video Card: 256 MB, SHADERS 3.0, ATI RADEON X1800 GTO/NVIDIA GEFORCE 7600 GT/INTEL HD 3000 OR HIGHER
HDD: 15 GB
DirectX: 9

(1)Game Overview: What is Wargame?
Wargame: AirLand Battle is a real time strategy game from the folk that brought you Ruse and Act of War and the sequel to Wargame: European Escalation From their site: "Wargame AirLand Battle is the sequel to Wargame European Escalation, the real-time strategy game created by Eugen Systems that completely redefined strategy games in 2012. With its dynamic and tense gameplay that demanded strategic vision and depth, its spectacular and realistic visual experience and its many new features such as the solo campaign, Wargame AirLand Battle is set to take the series to new heights."

(2)Gameplay Details:
NATO and the Warsaw Pact are engaged open warfare. Twelve nations with a total of 750 units all together, are playable.
"Like its predecessor, Wargame AirLand Battle offers an incredibly RTS experience, without sacrificing accessibility."

"Every strategy game player - beginner or expert - will be familiar with the basic gameplay mechanics: unit selection, movement or attack orders, etc. The intuitive controls enable all players to instantly make the most of the many possibilities.
However, to any player wishing to look closely into complex strategies, Wargame AirLand Battle offers many advanced gameplay mechanics for an unparalleled tactical depth."

"Besides taking cover, reconnoitering enemy lines, managing troop morale and other mechanics utilized in Wargame European Escalation, AirLand Battle now enables you to manage supply distribution more accurately, set up smoke barriers, move groups in formation, etc. Thanks to so many gameplay mechanics, master strategists will implement even more elaborate tactics!"

"Wargame applies localized control of damage inflicted to combat units according to the affected area: front, back, flanks, and even on top.
For example, a heavy tank that is equipped with much heavier armor at the front will be more difficult to destroy from the front. Instead, take it by surprise from behind or on the sides. This will allow you to destroy it more easily by targeting its weaker armor.
You can also deal ‘critical' blows by temporarily or permanently damaging certain on-board systems such as the optics, the engine or the fuel tank. You can even hit a vehicle crew, thus making a still-intact unit inoperative."

It's important to note that this game is multiplayer focused. 10 v 10 multiplayer!!

(3)Deck System:
Treat units as cards. Make a deck with units you are comfortable with.
YOU CAN'T EVEN DO THAT IN THE NEW MAGIC THE GATHERING VIDEO GAMES.
"Create an army that fits your game style! Like European Escalation, Wargame AirLand Battle enables you to create your own army ‘Decks' and takes the concept even further by offering several customization levels that help to give your Deck its unique identity
It is always possible to create a mixed Deck including all countries and all unit types, and to earn special bonuses in return for certain sacrifices. For example, ‘national Decks' with 100% units from the same nation will be favored by a balancing system between better-equipped nations and more modest ones. Units called ‘prototypes' or still at an experimental stage at the time of the game, for example, will only be available in a ‘national' Deck."

"An even greater level of customization is now available with the Deck type; it involves selecting only the equipment historically available to a certain group type, such as an airborne unit, a marine infantry unit, etc. For example, in the ‘Tank' category, an American airborne unit will be restricted to airborne tanks such as the Sheridan and the M8 AGS prototype, but in return, it will give you substantial advantages."

Finally, the third level of customization involves the period chosen for your Deck. If a Deck is considered as belonging to 1985 by default, with access to all the necessary equipment for its camp, it is quite possible to create a customized 1980 or 1975 Deck that will have only access to units available at the time. Again, in that case, bonuses bear significant advantages for those bold enough to make that choice!

These 3 customization levels are cumulative, which means you can add up the bonuses granted from each of them. For example, if you create a Marine infantry Deck from 1980 with 100% Russian troops, you will receive very high bonuses, compared to a Deck made up of little bits from all nations on your side. Each customization level is linked to different limitations and bonuses. It is up to you to select your own options and develop daring tactics!"

(4)IRISZOOM 3: Screenshots
Alright, let me just say that this game is beautiful to look at. It looks like an AAA First person shooter graphically speaking. This, combined with the scale achieved, is a sight to behold. IRISZOOM 3 is (obviously) the 3rd generation of the engine. Here is some quotes from the website.
"The 3rd generation of the IRISZOOM engine displays truly impressive contour maps that were directly rendered from satellite images. The huge maps - up to 150km² and simultaneously showing millions of objects - have gained in variety and realism. In an instantaneous transition, the engine's impressive zoom will enable you to dive directly from a satellite view to the heart of battles involving hundreds of units...
Over 750 different units are modeled, their details given particular attention: tanks, combat helicopters, infantry squads, artillery, support vehicles, anti-aircraft batteries, fighters, and other vehicles. Each model is extremely detailed and true to the original vehicles. You can zoom in on each of them to pick out the smallest bolts, or even the pilots inside the cockpit! Air units such as helicopters and planes even have their own flight patterns and move realistically across the battlefield.

The IRISZOOM Engine was also greatly enhanced with new shaders and effects, improved shoreline detail, and overhauled stretches of water as well as upgraded vegetation.
From explosions to lights, firing effects to high-resolution textures, sound effects to image post-processing effects, everything in the engine was overhauled to create ultra-realistic battlefields."

(5)Dynamic Campaign:
"The solo mode of Wargame AirLand Battle offers a vast dynamic campaign where each and every choice you make will have an impact on the unfolding events. Choose your side (NATO or the Warsaw Pact) and fight for Scandinavia! Each of the two sides offers a completely different experience and has its own specific objectives, enabling you to replay the solo campaign from a totally new perspective. Will you lead the NATO forces in an attempt to contain the offensive from the Warsaw Pact, or will you take command of the Soviet forces in order to conquer Scandinavia?

Your victories and your defeats, your success or your failures to meet your objectives, and the whims of fate will impact the political trust from your own side, which needed to obtain reinforcements and other strategic support on the road to victory: new combat groups, missile strikes, intelligence missions, special forces that go deep undercover, tactical nuclear weapons, etc. When two enemy combat groups confront each other on a strategic level, the battle begins!

You are then propelled into tactical view, the aim being to win the battle in real time. Your army consists of Combat Groups that persist throughout the campaign. These are made up of units that gain experience and increase in performance after each battle. However, remember that any loss is permanent! Therefore, do your absolute best to protect your troops, as you might need experienced units later on for a decisive battle. Plan your tactics in the long term: losing ground and sacrificing a few units to neutralize the enemy's anti-aircraft defense could be the prelude to a victorious counter-attack in your next battle.

Different zones of the theater bear different levels of importance. For example, capturing a capital city will have a resounding political impact, but it will not directly affect military operations. On the contrary, taking hold of sea harbors and airports will enable you to intensify deployment and will give you new strategic opportunities. Various combat groups (marines, paratroops, airborne troops or armor…) feature different set-ups and capabilities, hence the tremendous strategic possibilities! War has started... Choose your side and lead your troops to victory!"

(6)Useful Links:
European Escalation OT
Official Website
Facebook page
Twitter

Youtube
Metacritic
Steam Page

(7)Anticipated Questions:
Q: Sell me on this game.
A: Supreme Commander in the late eighties with Total War Campaign Map.
Q: Sounds great! Is there a Steam Group?
A: Click here, friend!
Q: Wargame: AirLand Battle is a dumb name.
A: Blame the United States Government for not naming its conceptual European warwaging doctrine "RIDE DRAGON INTO IRON WALL, SACRIFICE SOVIET ARMY IN THE NAME OF THE DEVIL."
Q: Do you have anymore screens on hand?
A: For your viewing pleasure.

Go, my friends. Go and send thousands of young boys to their digital deaths.
av8sunset_20071114_zpseabbf29a.jpg

Keasar

Great OT, immediately subbed.

Will have plenty of time this weekend to try and fine tune my Nordic NATO forces deck, need to figure out how to cram in more Swedish units into it all apart from the infantry (Svenska Kustjägare representerar!).

Pandemic

Thank fuck, a proper thread to discuss this game, hah.

I'm on the fence about purchasing this game, I can get it for $30 from GMG, which seems cheap. I'm swaying more to the side of purchasing it, but I need more impressions since their are hardly any reviews out for this game, which is odd..

RulkezX

I'm torn about buying this , I have EE but hardly played it ( and wasn't that fussed about what I did play) but this looks great.

Thank fuck, a proper thread to discuss this game, hah.

I'm on the fence about purchasing this game, I can get it for $30 from GMG, which seems cheap. I'm swaying more to the side of purchasing it, but I need more impressions since their are hardly any reviews out for this game, which is odd..

European Escalation has an 81% on Metacritc. This is that game plus planes, plus dynamic campaign, minus awful mini campaign. :p

Gurvon

Neo Member
Nice OT for a great game!

Played my first online battle yesterday (never played EE) and managed to hold my part of the map for quite some time in a very intense 4 vs 4 battle but once those T80's started rolling in supported by multiple Mi-24's and Migs my Swedish battlegroup got properly crushed but goddamn if it wasn't fun.

Btw the tutorials in the game kind of stink, they don't really teach a new player much at all I feel :p

Played my first online battle yesterday (never played EE) and managed to hold my part of the map for quite some time in a very intense 4 vs 4 battle but once those T80's started rolling in supported by multiple Mi-24's and Migs my Swedish battlegroup got properly crushed but goddamn if it wasn't fun.

Btw the tutorials in the game kind of stink, they don't really teach a new player much at all I feel :p

All the more reason to join the Steam Group!!

Keasar

My recommendation is to bolster the Swedish armor with some German tanks, the STRV103B is pretty good defensive tank for its price but some Leopards 1s and 2s should do the trick for a offensive strike. Also some American helicopters and planes are good to have. The rest of the Swedish troops are good enough to use with the infantry being your best troops.

Nickiepoo

Great game this, manages to be a semi-authentic 'realistic' game while still being very much a game.

In other words, you get much of the depth and pace of more hardcore games like Close Combat without having to sacrifice UI, graphics or general user friendliness.

On top of that, the 10v10 battles are intense and awesome.

Jackpot

Banned
Does the AI have difficulty settings this time around?

Is there any story/structure to the campaign or is it like a flight sim's?

Keasar

Does the AI have difficulty settings this time around?

Is there any story/structure to the campaign or is it like a flight sim's?

The AI have 4 difficulties ranging from Easy to Very Hard. As for the story/structure, well, there is no story campaign and the dynamic at most have events telling you what is currently going on around the world and if something will affect you.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Nice OT. I'm still a little reluctant to buy because of some of the AI issues, but I can see myself jumping aboard soon.

SpyGuy239

This is a great game but the learning curve is quite high (for me anyway) high enough that I don't have enough time off from work to master.

I am itching to try out the aircraft though.

I have to say I really really miss World In Conflict....one can only wonder why they don't make the second game? The first has to be one of the best RTSes of all time. Anyone on me with this?

I still play WiC to this day, the Modern Warfare mod with it's missile simulations is amazing!

Llyranor

I love this game. It's a neat little tactical RTS with a bit a wargame realism layer, which resonates with me very intensely. I'm not usually a fan of RTS, but those wargame elements really work well with me.

Nickiepoo

I love this game. It's a neat little tactical RTS with a bit a wargame realism layer, which resonates with me very intensely. I'm not usually a fan of RTS, but those wargame elements really work well with me.

As does the strong customisation element.

Just enjoyed a nice session of multiplayer. One of those terrific online experiences that can offer up the pyrotechnics and hardware hard-on fuel without burning you out at the arse end of the week. Good pace, intelligent design, a very nice follow-up from European Escalation.

Looking forward to more.

I hope the campaign gets a few upgrades, but after a bit of time spent with it, it isn't too bad. Actually really excited to see how it goes in multiplayer, but it's one of those rainy day/family wife and kids elsewhere kind of undertakings.

demolitio

Nice to see this game get an OT. This year is proving to be the year of the RTS for me. I truly have every single type of RTS covered and Company of Heroes 2 will be a great distraction until Rome 2: Total War comes out. :D

If anyone wants to do MP, please add "demolitio2" on Steam.

Good OP, but you forgot to mention the 10v10 MP :p
Added :p
Nice to see this game get an OT. This year is proving to be the year of the RTS for me. I truly have every single type of RTS covered and Company of Heroes 2 will be a great distraction until Rome 2: Total War comes out. :D

If anyone wants to do MP, please add "demolitio2" on Steam.
I'll add ya!

If anyone wants to add me, I'm neotyger122 on Steam.

All hail the plucky Brit Land Rover Milan ATGM. I say that after they saved the day on a sector with a crucial corridor.

It's those little moments.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Is the large scale multiplayer drop-in / drop-out? If not, do the teams get rebalanced in some way if people bail?

Llyranor

No drop-in/out, but you get extra points when someone leaves, and they'll even increase the reinforcement numbers you can get per unit.

Pandemic

Perfect, I'm not a big fan of RTS either, but something about it just makes me want to buy it.

Nickiepoo

Is the large scale multiplayer drop-in / drop-out? If not, do the teams get rebalanced in some way if people bail?

Yeah, I actually love it when people on my team leave because I tend to get extra copies of the very limited units like planes and arty which makes a huge difference when trying to overwelm AA or saturate an area with booms.

Your Own Marching Pace, boys. Now to find one of the maps that has at least one Mt. Tumbledown proxy.

Christ, I tell you what, a Falklands expansion wouldn't go astray...the above unit list seems like a close approximation. There's a cold, sleet-driven romance I have about that god-awful engagement.

Victrix

*beard*
I have to say I really really miss World In Conflict....one can only wonder why they don't make the second game? The first has to be one of the best RTSes of all time. Anyone on me with this?

iirc the tech team behind that amazing engine wound up somewhere else...

I want to say maybe Ubisoft on FarCry3? I could be wrong, it's been awhile since I remember hearing about them.

You won't find any disagreement on WiC around these parts. Phenomenal stuff. Preceded by the fantastic Ground Control games, it was just lighting fast, rough and tumble RTT par excellence.

Llyranor

Perfect, I'm not a big fan of RTS either, but something about it just makes me want to buy it.

I usually actually quite dislike the format of the conventional RTS. The whole base-building thing, and having to micro every single action. My problem with them is that the bottleneck (for me) to enact larger plans is my clicks/second, which I could only improve through repetition, but it's not something I enjoy so I've never put in the time to work on that.

Wargame ALB is very much a tactical game/'RTS'. There's no in-battle base building. All you worry about is how you handle your troops, where you put them, which ones you want to bring first, etc. That's why I love the deck-building so much. Awesome customization, and you can think long and hard about what kind of strategy your deck will go for BEFORE playing the game.

Boogdud

Holy crap you aren't kidding. I just picked this up (never played the first one) and I've played plenty of RTS before but there seems to be little if any instruction at all. Even on basic controls and commands. It might as well just throw you on the battlefield and say "ok, now win". Seriously terrible for a completely new player.

So does anyone have a real guide for a true beginner? I couldn't even find a command to rotate the camera, ended up having to go to the steam forums and searching because it's not even in the keybinds menu. Shesus.

Also, there doesn't even appear to be a manual for the game. Man they really hang you out to dry.

Radix

Neo Member
Holy crap you aren't kidding. I just picked this up (never played the first one) and I've played plenty of RTS before but there seems to be little if any instruction at all. Even on basic controls and commands. It might as well just throw you on the battlefield and say "ok, now win". Seriously terrible for a completely new player.

So does anyone have a real guide for a true beginner? I couldn't even find a command to rotate the camera, ended up having to go to the steam forums and searching because it's not even in the keybinds menu. Shesus.

Also, there doesn't even appear to be a manual for the game. Man they really hang you out to dry.
Here is the game manual. It's not the most helpful, but it explains a few mechanics.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
So this game has Pylon's seal of approval yes?

Last time I listened to you on Krater that was pretty awesome so lets hope this gets a big thumbs up too

So this game has Pylon's seal of approval yes?

Last time I listened to you on Krater that was pretty awesome so lets hope this gets a big thumbs up too

It does indeed, but Eugen Systems have been a cause for tumescence since The Gladiators: Galactic Circus Games. Almost a given at this point!

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
lol went and bought it while waiting for a response.

will see how it runs on my rig after work is done.

I was very impressed with the first Wargame, picked it up for $10 on a Steam sale a few months back. Incredible visuals and good attention to detail with about as much historical accuracy as you can get in this kind of game.

Logistical requirements were a bit excessive (tanks can't get 500m without needing more fuel, apparently) and helicopters were overly vulnerable, but I can forgive that for everything else the game does right.

Airland Battle looks awesome, I won't drop $40 on it but as soon as there are some good Steam sales I'll pick it up. Hope the developer does well with this title, there aren't enough of these games around.

Top Bottom