• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wargame: AirLand Battle |OT| "War is like an OT, it always finds a way."

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Very scaleable engine, all things considered. Enjoy. Or come back with derogatory comments directed at the bloke who gave you a bum steer.

I was a fan of these guys from the previous title RUSE which was quite done and unfortunately did not get the attention it deserved. Great engine too.

This seems to be ruse on steroids so do think it will be a good time. The current rig is better than my older one which exploded when trying the other wargame title, so hopefully things should be ok this time around...

DrBo42

I was a fan of these guys from the previous title RUSE which was quite done and unfortunately did not get the attention it deserved. Great engine too.

This seems to be ruse on steroids so do think it will be a good time. The current rig is better than my older one which exploded when trying the other wargame title, so hopefully things should be ok this time around...

More or less. I've sunk many more hours in the beta for this than the entire lifetime of RUSE.

Parakeetman

They make interesting comparisons, RUSE and Wargame.

RUSE was basically a really simplified version of what Wargame is right? Or thats what it looks like to me anyways.

More like one is made open for new folks to jump right in and understand and wargame is made for those who wanted a bit more meat on the plate.

Jac_Solar

This engine is truly unique. It'd be incredible if they allowed modding for it at some point. I think 750 unique units is a record for a base game, as well. Probably more than most *modded* games, even. Isn't it?

Codename Panzers Phase Three mod has 1000 units, but I think that includes units with different textures as well. My "Blitzkrieg" Unit Search counts 5048 different units (Counts base game + all the different mods.), but that might include duplicates, different textured units, etc. Total Annihilation and Sudden Strike series have a lot as well. But this is a modern game, with very detailed 3D models.

Sethos

Banned
This engine is truly unique. It'd be incredible if they allowed modding for it at some point. I think 750 unique units is a record for a base game, as well. Probably more than most *modded* games, even. Isn't it?

To be fair, there's a ton of low-quality models and duplicates among them.

Still an impressive count nonetheless.

Jac_Solar

To be fair, there's a ton of low-quality models and duplicates among them.

Still an impressive count nonetheless.

Whaat? Duplicates? But they say;
Over 750 different units are modeled, their details given particular attention: tanks, combat helicopters, infantry squads, artillery, support vehicles, anti-aircraft batteries, fighters, and other vehicles. Each model is extremely detailed and true to the original vehicles. You can zoom in on each of them to pick out the smallest bolts, or even the pilots inside the cockpit! Air units such as helicopters and planes even have their own flight patterns and move realistically across the battlefield.

So they are lying?

Sadly mod tools apparently aren't in the cards. :/

A shame, but for the most part, I'm looking forward to Eugen's support. Their support of European Escalation was great, and didn't cost a dime.

jeez, I'm terrible at this game...

10v10s and tanks with ATGM components - yeah, even old dunger Starships! - are how I got my groove.
I'm still terrible, who am I kidding?!

So they are lying?

No, but some of them are variants, which might have a few bits and pieces different, but the base models are the same. Either way, I reckon the unit models are fantastic.

Sethos

Banned

So they are lying?

As Pylon just said, there's a lot of base models that just got a different way of working, slightly different armament etc. and you could call each and every one a 'different model' but they are basically the same.

Jac_Solar

Ah, yeah, that tends to be the case when they put a number on things. Just thought these developers would have been honest about it, since I'm pretty sure the actual number of models would have been impressive in any case, and because I got the impression that they really cared about the game and users, and have generally seemed genuine about stuff.

Icefire1424

...and because I got the impression that they really cared about the game and users, and have generally seemed genuine about stuff.

Eugen really does. EE had several rounds of DLC, all of which were free, and support for their product is impressive. The community is very active (and at times, VERY vocal on the official Eugen forums), but either way, their attention to their games, and their gamers, is to be commended. I would expect this level of support for ALB as well.

Got a few games in this weekend - some really talented armchair generals out there, and a few, well...notsomuch. Credit where it's due however, was in a 10 vs. 10 match against Nickiepoo, whos NATO forces properly rolled us over. Not sure if I'm more impressed with the strategy utilized for the win, or how he got everyone on that team to cooperate and pull it off. Either way, was a massacre.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So i can play as Argentina?
YOU DONE GOOFED NATO

Might have to buy it. :3
Oh.. its PC only, my pc sucks :(

Be careful, though...unless I'm confused or ignorant - high chance of both - you can't play NATO vs NATO, so the Argies need a bit of a Pact-themed reworking before you can actually have a Falklands battle.

Please tell me I'm wrong. You can definitely do a Yom Kippur battle. Tried that over the weekend and it was great fun.

Keasar

Be careful, though...unless I'm confused or ignorant - high chance of both - you can't play NATO vs NATO, so the Argies need a bit of a Pact-themed reworking before you can actually have a Falklands battle.

Please tell me I'm wrong. You can definitely do a Yom Kippur battle. Tried that over the weekend and it was great fun.

You can actually, if you play on a custom server and select in the "Opposition" menu from Conflict to NATO, then both teams will play as NATO.

Gurvon

Neo Member
I luuuv this game!

Built a Nordic Battlegroup deck and borrowed a german and brittish tank as well as an american attack chopper but otherwise all nordic units and with a pre 1975 limitation for an 80% buff in unit count.
Works really well I must say, completely dominated a 4vs4 game in Dalarna where a 60 person strong elite unit of kustjägare all by themselves held off the initial Pact assault (with t80's and such mind you), many tanks, bmps and infantry groups fell to their fire and when they finally managed to kill off my kustjägare the rest of my army arrived to secure the town, feelt good man ;)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Watched some footage of this on Youtube and I think I might pull the trigger, looks pretty awesome.

Nickiepoo

Works really well I must say, completely dominated a 4vs4 game in Dalarna where a 60 person strong elite unit of kustjägare all by themselves held off the initial Pact assault

Yeah, I love heli rushing these guys at the start of a match.

Got a few games in this weekend - some really talented armchair generals out there, and a few, well...notsomuch. Credit where it's due however, was in a 10 vs. 10 match against Nickiepoo, whos NATO forces properly rolled us over. Not sure if I'm more impressed with the strategy utilized for the win, or how he got everyone on that team to cooperate and pull it off. Either way, was a massacre.

Ha, good fun. Mostly we got lucky, there was almost zero resistance at the first point but then our AAA was slow to follow up our tanks after it was taken, so more attack choppers followed by some ATGMs or extra infantry in the city (which we really had no means of dealing with) could have stalled the attack and forced us to consolidate at the mid-point.

But having said that, your allies probably should probably have just given up that point and fortified the next one along rather than bleeding out with expensive tanks and AA.

Enjoyable though, join us any time (on the right side this time with any luck).

Parakeetman

So must not start up the game or else my whole evening is going to vanish, but all this talk here makes me want to boot that fucker up right now lol

Any of you guys recording your gameplay footage and tossing it up on YT?

How real is the REAL part of this 'RTS'? Can I pause the game and issue commands? Or does everything need to be done in realtime?

Keasar

How real is the REAL part of this 'RTS'? Can I pause the game and issue commands? Or does everything need to be done in realtime?

Everything is in real time apart from the campaign map. So some quick thinking is required even though the pace of the game is much, much slower than most RTS games.

Llyranor

Can't pause in battle, but the pace is indeed much slower than in a typical RTS. You still need to react fast to developments, though.

I currently have 12 decks for US Forces alone, and have plans for many, many more. I may have a problem.
Deck-building is one of the best parts of the game! It is so much fun.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So i have this PC (Dont laugh)
WinXP
AMD Phenom II X4 925
3GB DDR2 (LOL 32 Bit OS)
GeForce 9500 GT

Any chance of this game running at 30fps ?

Parakeetman

Was just about to boot it up now, then got stuck on the initial loading screen after logging in. :/

Am trying to start it again now after force quitting the prog and restarting steam.

This a common issue btw?

Hawk269

Sell me on this game PC Gaf. I have been on a RTS kick as of late, but want something a bit different. What game is this compared to the most? How good does it run? Any major balance issues as of yet? How is developer support so far?

eznark

Banned
17 hours. This game is amazing and I feel like I have barely touched anything in it. Skirmished are so much damned fun. I have yet to touch the decks or the multiplayer.

Parakeetman

Sell me on this game PC Gaf. I have been on a RTS kick as of late, but want something a bit different. What game is this compared to the most? How good does it run? Any major balance issues as of yet? How is developer support so far?

Closest thing would be RUSE made by the same guys.

Id highly suggest watching tut vids before trying to jump in since its a bit overwhelming otherwise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYg9lTEWN0w

Pt 1-3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIfc2yLQArE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5mVs7VC0r4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9V_n_JqUb8

---

Just messed around with SP cool stuff, just seems that the problem for me is trying to log in which hangs at loading for whatever the reason.

Icefire1424

...and developer support is nothing less than amazing. All DLC on European Escalation (ALB's predecessor) was free, and released regularly, which included new maps, new modes, and the like. The community is extremely active, and the developer actually takes feedback from the community for support and updates.

Despite what you may read on the official Eugen forums, the game is fairly balanced, although the two factions play differently. NATO needs to embrace combined arms tactics and the "Airland Battle" Doctrine if it hopes to win, while the PACT are generally less specialized, and rely more on brute strength (either in sheer number or more powerful armor) to win. Understanding the strength of your forces and costomizing your decks to cater to your particular style is one of the biggest draws to the game. This is not like every other RTS out there where you will be able to build any unit your faction offers - the decision of what units you will be bringing to bear is probably the most significant contributor to you winning or losing the game.

And finally, it's a good time to get in. There are a lot of rookies out there still learning the ropes, so it should be easy to get into a game with other players more or less your skill level. Mess around in Skirmish or the campaign to learn the general mechanics, then jump into some multiplayer games - that's when it gets REALLY fun.

Anyone been scraping off the bombastic ichor of E3 with a touch of ALB? Let's not allow fine wine to be overshadowed by drunken teens showering the crowd with cheap mixers.

Icefire1424

Not enough people in this thread playing with us!

I do seem to miss you guys pretty much ALL the time. And found out I was on the other side of the world from another guy I've played with previously, so there's that.

...still playing though. Life tends to get in the way, so get my fix by playing a Skirmish or two when I have a free moment. Sad to say my rig is beginning to show it's age however, Processor can't keep up with the 10 vs 10 games or large scale skirmishes...*sigh.

Icefire1424

Definitely one of my weaker areas. Need to dedicate more resources for scouting.

Also helps from a defensive standpoint. Many units can fire past their visual range, so having Recon slightly ahead of the front will allow your AT / AA / SAM units to fire earlier, often before OPFOR has a chance to close and engage. Also, Artillery benefits from Recon in that having a spotter allows for "Corrected" fire, giving them a smaller targeting reticule and making them more effective at saturizing a location with artillery.

Icefire1424

Any good war stories out there? Been so bogged down with life as of late that my time in game has suffered. Did have one interesting Skirmish last week I thought would be cool to mention.

So anyways, whenever I do get a chance to play lately, it's been creating, customizing and testing out some specialized decks that I want to bring into some online battles. I've had this American "Air Cav" Division I've been waiting to try out, which is pretty unique as all the Infantry units are Airlifted - figured this would be a good deck for rapid deployment / containment duties.

Played one of the more urban maps (whichever one has a pretty large "city" in the center) and deployed somewhere in the ballpark of 20-25 mixed infantry units in Hueys, with some Air Superiority fighters for support. At launch I directed all the Hueys to the far edge of the city (facing the enemy), with a Recon chopper scouting for aircraft and my own fighters in reserve to engage if needed. As the Hueys neared their Forward Deployment Area, caught the leading edge of the OPFOR's force, which was comprised of mixed infantry in assorted BMP's, Tungusta's and a few T-55's and T-62's mixed in.

Huey's started taking fire from the AA / SAM units as they were unloading troops, suffered a few casualties before the infantry even made it on the ground. The ones that did touchdown however, opened up from the cover of the buildings immediately to devastating effect. ATGM engaged the BMP's and tanks, who were immediately overwhelmed and began to panic, while the Soviet Infantry that had disembarked was getting torn up by my entrenched troops. Lacking artillery support, I reserved enough CP to call in a Nighthawk for some surgical strikes on concentrated targets - which was now hitting OPFOR infantry that had made it into buildings for cover and was engaging my troops.

True to Soviet Doctrine, the attacks continued in mass with waves of Mechanized units being thrown into the grinder. Although my infantry was able to cause a hell of a lot of damage, it wasn't too long before their ammo had depleted, heavy casualties were sustained, and a tactical retreat needed to be initiated. Not wanting to lose the city my first wave of Air Cav had worked so hard to establish, I began ferrying in waves of Light Riflemen to support the retreating troops. I figured at close range, the reduced range and accuracy of their AT would be nullified due to the close combat conditions. My assumption was correct - the sheer volume of AT rocket fire was enough to slow the Armored / Mechanized Assault, allowing more Air Cav to be flown in to support the flanks and widen the front. As an added bonus, my supporting aircraft was able to achieve air superiority, as the OPFOR was clearly dedicated to spending their CP's on their massed infantry, so I was able to send in near constant F-16 strafing runs in to weaken the entrenched troops, with the occasional F-117 strike on high value targets.

The combined arms attacks finally started to wear down the OPFOR, and for the first time in the battle my infantry began taking back ground. Almost reminiscent of some of the great battles of WW2 Eastern Front, fighting went from house to house, before the city was completely retaken. Stalingrad revisited. Remaining OPFOR was mopped up, and a few strafing runs in their only remaining zone left and it was over. 6K worth of Soviets KIA, mostly Mechanized and Armored. The American Air Cav had been bloodied, and battle tested...and performed flawlessly.

Walshicus

I've discovered I can't play offensively. The first ten games or so I've played have been with my "usual" group of friends, where we've had delegation of labour ingrained upon us from years of gaming. Friend A is always calling the shots and running recon, friend B always heavily involved in offensives and I'm always managing the defensive positions we take.

Once I'm in an urban area it takes a lot to get me out of it...

But yeah, tried to play without this group and run my own offensives and got wiped out every time.

Nickiepoo

Once I'm in an urban area it takes a lot to get me out of it...

But yeah, tried to play without this group and run my own offensives and got wiped out every time.

These are general rules for this game, yeah. Doing well on the offencive without a 3 to 1 point advantage takes significant skill.

Llyranor

Man, I really need to use smokes. I keep forgetting it exists.

And I just realized the Polish had napalm planes. NAPALM NAPALM NAPALM

Deck-building is so fun. Right now I have a NATO 1980 deck (balanced, with American napalm planes :D ), a balanced French deck (lacks MANPAD, tank armor is a bit lacking), an armored British deck (AA is a bit weak, though), an air power American deck (no tanks :0), an infantry/artillery mechanized Canadian deck (this really is for forest-clearing, otherwise it might be a bit weak, and the arty doesn't seem that good either), and a semi-balanced (I guess with a bit of an armored and anti-tank focus, though no arty) West German deck.

On the PACT side, I have a PACT 1980 deck (balanced with Polish napalm planes NAPALM NAPALM), a balanced Czech deck (with some emphasis on helo), an armored Soviet deck, an infantry East German deck (which may kind of suck, and no arty), an AA mechanized Polish deck (Promets as AA infantry transports are great and cheap, and NAPALM PLANES NAPALM NAPALM). I find the Polish might be the best lesser PACT nation, with their specialized units. The Czech can be pretty good/balanced, but seem to lack anything they excel in.

Top Bottom