• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wargame: AirLand Battle |OT| "War is like an OT, it always finds a way."

Icefire1424

Deck-building is so fun...

This...might be an understatement. On the NATO (American) side alone (PACT is similar):

American 1st Light Mechanized Division
American 2nd Heavy Mechanized Division
American 3rd Light Armored Division
American 4th Heavy Armored Division
American 5th Modular Division
American 6th Air Cav Division
American 7th Air Assault Division
American 8th Tactical Division
American 9th Logistics (Engineering) Division
American 10th Motorized Division
American 11th SOCOM Division
American 12th Marine Division

Sad thing is, I want to do the same with a true NATO force, not just American. Modular is the only really "balanced" force, every other Division is pretty specialized. Having a lot of fun with Air Cav and Air Assault lately though.

Llyranor

Heh, Swedish actually seems like a pretty decent balanced deck. The other Scandinavian ones kind of suck, though. I now officially have one deck for every nation on both sides, including one full NATO and one full PACT deck.

Finally got some time again to play tonight. Good fun was had in random 10v10s, did some comp-stomping with a mate and ended up having a few Falklands and Yom Kippur battles with custom decks.

Always scratches that itch.

EDIT: Heh heh. Just saw Sethos' posts in the CoH2 thread. 'Tis true, tis true.

Keasar

I have been trying to convince a friend to get the game but he is unsure if he wants to because of the sparsely populated online mode. He therefore rather go with "the safe card" of Company of Heroes 2.

Its the Firefly effect in action.

I have been trying to convince a friend to get the game but he is unsure if he wants to because of the sparsely populated online mode. He therefore rather go with "the safe card" of Company of Heroes 2.

Its the Firefly effect in action.

That's a shame. Not that CoH2 is a bad alternative, but it's a bit of a known quantity. Wargame is pretty unique in comparison. And there's never a shortage of online games to be found.

I dunno. It's hard not to get frustrated, though...but I figure the big ALB threads, and as Sethos argues, and other MilSims threads are not to be found on GAF. It's more an Armchair General/Wargamer forum discussion.

Chin up!

EDIT: Oh, by the way, latest 3MA podcast did a wonderful show on ALB. http://www.idlethumbs.net/3ma/episodes/wargame-see-deep-think-deeper

Sethos

Banned
That's a shame. Not that CoH2 is a bad alternative, but it's a bit of a known quantity. Wargame is pretty unique in comparison. And there's never a shortage of online games to be found.

wargamewbebw.png

Llyranor

I dunno. It's hard not to get frustrated, though...but I figure the big ALB threads, and as Sethos argues, and other MilSims threads are not to be found on GAF. It's more an Armchair General/Wargamer forum discussion.

I don't even *like* RTS, so I'm completely apathetic to CoH2 (even though I actually liked DoW2 because it didn't actually play like a RTS). Yeah, Wargame is pretty unique.

Haven't checked on ArmchairGeneral recently, but I think some of the feeling on Wargamer is that the game isn't hardcore enough for the grognards :D Or too fast-pacey for some, which is valid (even though it's already much slower-paced than what you'd expect in the genre, just not compared to an actual wargame). There's a pretty sizable active thread on the Somethingawful forums (they even have a general grognard thread, geez).

I don't even *like* RTS, so I'm completely apathetic to CoH2 (even though I actually liked DoW2 because it didn't actually play like a RTS). Yeah, Wargame is pretty unique.

Haven't checked on ArmchairGeneral recently, but I think some of the feeling on Wargamer is that the game isn't hardcore enough for the grognards :D Or too fast-pacey for some, which is valid (even though it's already much slower-paced than what you'd expect in the genre, just not compared to an actual wargame). There's a pretty sizable active thread on the Somethingawful forums (they even have a general grognard thread, geez).

That's a fair call for the grognards. It is always heartwarming to hear Bruce Geryk of 3MA panel fame laud Wargame. He knows his onions and certainly is what you'd call a grognard from way back. A quiet seal of approval.

The Cold War might be over, but damn it if this thread is.

Been really appreciating how vital arty smoke barrages are in co-op and multi. Working with some real masters of the field guns and recon, air and armour can punch savage holes in an enemy line as opponents scramble to reposition hardware.

Haven't had this much fun in multi in ages. 10v10s especially.

I am hoping there is a bit of discount during the summer sale...and free time to learn to play it.

As much as the nitty-gritty might seem overbearing, it's a mechanically easy game to get into. Build a deck based on nation, type, era etc., then see how it all goes in the campaign/skirmish/multi. Multi is actually a great way to learn, especially in 10v10.

Building and refining a UK armoured deck at the moment.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
How is the single player campaign in ALB? My internet vacillates between great and 'no connection' every few hours so I don't think I can participate in the multiplayer component; as I don't want to ruin other peoples experience if I suddenly drop out.

How is the single player campaign in ALB? My internet vacillates between great and 'no connection' every few hours so I don't think I can participate in the multiplayer component; as I don't want to ruin other peoples experience if I suddenly drop out.

It's not bad, truth be told. Eugen have claimed they're going to retool a lot of it and work on making it even better, but as it stands, there's enough meat on the bone.

Shame about your internet. But even then, multiplayer games aren't usually very long, so it's not something you'll have to worry about if there's a time restriction.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
It's not bad, truth be told. Eugen have claimed they're going to retool a lot of it and work on making it even better, but as it stands, there's enough meat on the bone.

Shame about your internet. But even then, multiplayer games aren't usually very long, so it's not something you'll have to worry about if there's a time restriction.

Hmm, I'll pick it up then. I was eyeing this when the first trailers dropped, but work and life got in the way.

The problem is inconsistent service not any type of contractual restrictions. The majority of the time it's pretty stable. But every so often, I'm working and I have to reconnect to the vpn or a game kicks me for lost connection. My area is a prime example of why monopolies of internet providers is antithetical to growth in broadband coverage and service level.

Llyranor

Man, I've been playing a lot of this, love it <3 <3

Been trying out some air-heavier decks. Planes are fun! I'm getting better with them now, rather than just throwing them into enemy AA, hehehe.

Nickiepoo

And while he's birding about in the sky I'm SASing all their backline CVs :DDDDD

What's that? Responding with Helos? Elite blowpipe surprise!

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
So is European Escalation pretty much useless at this point?

Icefire1424

So, this is 50% on steam today (well, for a few days, apparently).

Thinking of buying despite no firm Mac release date announced.

Don't think, buy! Thank us later. Knowing Eugen, Mac release date is nigh.

So is European Escalation pretty much useless at this point?

Eh, I wouldn't say "useless" in the sense that there isn't still fun to be had, but if you haven't played either, then I really don't see the need in playing W:EE. Most of the community has since moved on to ALB.

Or did I pretty much just define "useless" further?

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
Well that's pretty much what meant seeing how it's supposed to be multiplayer focused game with not that good of a campaign and there's a new one out. I'll get Airland Battle then.

Llyranor

Yeah, if you're interested in multiplayer, just get ALB and forget EE.

20 bucks for this game is a steal, btw. It's certainly my GOTY second to Rising. Been loving the 10v10, and I've played so much of this.

Icefire1424

My apologies for the bump, but figured the most recent patch warranted attention.

The much requested campaign patch hit late last week, and it's a doozy. Having played both pre and post past, the overall change to mechanics is substantial. Previously, campaign battles typically resulted in draws, with engagements lasting several days and often became a battle of attrition. The initiative and morale changes are most noteworthy, with most battles now ending in a single engagement, and are often significantly more violent, for lack of a better term. AI is more agressive, and battles overall are more satisfying.

The patch also addressed some balancing issues, but the campaign is the star of the show here. I strongly encourage anyone with this game to give the campaign another shot, it's a completely different experience for the better.

Campaign patch notes:

- Avoid battle is now possible anytime, instead of Retreat, as long as you control a nearby sector and you have a road to go there.
BG will avoid the battle and will not be destroyed if it is intercepted while avoiding the battle.
But it will lose - 1 init and -1 morale.

- Routing or retreating allow you to be "covered" by allied BG and not to be destroyed if intercepted. However, one allied BG can only cover one enemy BG at a time. For example, if the retreating BG finds itself intercepted by 2 enemies, and is only covered by one allied in the defending sector, it will be destroyed.

- BG's initiative and morale rules have changed:
Starting points = 500 + 400x Init (instead of 500 + 500x)
Victory points = 500 + 250x Morale (instead of 500 + 500x)
As a consequence, battles are less likely to end up as a Draw.

- Draws now inflict -1 morale (instead of +1 morale) and still -1 initiative as in any battle.
As a consequence, battlegroups will "bleed" after each draw, thus making victory easier to achieve after every combat.

- Income of command zones in the campaign has been largely increased:
* +1pt zones are now worth 2pts
* +3pts reinforcement zones are now worth +5, +4 or +3pts, depending on the number of reincorcements zones in the map (respectively, for 3, 4, 5+ zones).

- R&R will restore +2pts init +1pt morale.

- Many battlegroups have been reinforced with more units, fitting more balanced roles than before. Especially in the AA category which is now more consistent.

- Added a Save game button in strategic view to allow manual saves of the campaign.
This comes right after the Quit fonction added in tactical battles in a previous patch. You should now have a nice flexibility with Save & Quit functions.

Radix

Neo Member
New DLC is set to release today. Sadly, no new 10v10 maps.

Hi,

As you may have guessed last week, ALB's first free DLC is well-advanced and should be released ... on August 1st.

It will bring to you:
- New Conquest mode.
- Co-op mode for the solo campaigns.
- 5 new multiplayer maps.
- 24 new units (12 per side): 6 planes, 7 infantry units, 9 vehicles/tanks, 2 helicopters.

Those new units are being added for two purpose:
- to meet some popular request and/or fill some omissions in the original decks.
- to "buff" NATO individual minor nations, while strengthening "Pact brotherhood" mixed deck.

Therefore, new units won't be necessarily evenly distributed among each alliance ...

Some preview (only the infantry icons are ready yet, therefore we can't tease you with the other

New unit previews can be found here

Keasar

Meh, I am just getting depressed by this game. Everything I do just keep getting hard countered. Attack a town? They got shitloads of choppers. Try using airplanes? They got shitloads of AA. Try using AA? They got SEAD planes.

Nothing I do ever works.

Edit: Nope, that's the forth round in a row where I go negative 1000 points in losses. I just completely suck.

Top Bottom