• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War 2 |OT| FOR THE EMPEROR!!

Daigoro

Lyphen said:
And then there's people who care more about the game than achievements, and didn't like how shitty GFWL matchmaking is.

and then there's the people who have had zero problems with GFWL and can have it all, without the bitching and moaning.

Gowans

K.Jack said:
We should do a new thread, for Retribution. I'll start working on an OP now.

There's so much to cover with a Warhammer 40k game, it'll take some time.

Look forward to it, loved the last two but especially how they combined their multi.

Whats going to happen this time?

Lumine

Sorry for digging up an older thread, but this seems the most recent one and I got a quick question..

So I'm about to start with Chaos Rising. I bought it a few months ago, but never got around to playing it. Mainly because I haven't finished DOW2 vanilla yet. I'm at the very last mission though. At least I think it is, but I got a couple of sidequests/missions left to do as well. So I'm wondering what's worth doing at this point:

Should I just start with Chaos Rising on a new character? Or should I go back and do the last mission so I can import my vanilla character into Chaos Rising? Or, another option, should I go back and also do the optional missions? I think there's some neat terminator armour and other loot to get from those. I haven't played DoW2 in a while so it might be fun to do those optional missions either way, but if I can't carry those items to chaos rising with me or if they're obsolete very quickly I think I'd rather skip them so I can start with Chaos Rising as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance guys. :)

Dynoro

Lumine said:
Sorry for digging up an older thread, but this seems the most recent one and I got a quick question..

So I'm about to start with Chaos Rising. I bought it a few months ago, but never got around to playing it. Mainly because I haven't finished DOW2 vanilla yet. I'm at the very last mission though. At least I think it is, but I got a couple of sidequests/missions left to do as well. So I'm wondering what's worth doing at this point:

Should I just start with Chaos Rising on a new character? Or should I go back and do the last mission so I can import my vanilla character into Chaos Rising? Or, another option, should I go back and also do the optional missions? I think there's some neat terminator armour and other loot to get from those. I haven't played DoW2 in a while so it might be fun to do those optional missions either way, but if I can't carry those items to chaos rising with me or if they're obsolete very quickly I think I'd rather skip them so I can start with Chaos Rising as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance guys. :)
Finish vanilla and get the terminator armour then import your guy into Chaos Rising - it will give you a nice bonus at the start for very little time/effort (you keep the levels, traits and I think you keep the armour but cannot use it initially). If you start a new squad for the expansion I think you start at level 14 (not 20) and have crap gear.

Once you start getting blues in Chaos Rising you will chuck the old gear though.

Lumine

Ah cool, thanks. I just tested creating a new character and it starts at level 18 while my vanilla character is only level 15. I suppose it'll get a few more levels when I do the optional missions. I also remember now why I never finished this game. I think that Avatar in the last Eldar mission gave me hell even though I hadn't died a single time until that point. Ah well, I will do what you suggested and try some of these optional missions first before starting Chaos Rising.

Thanks again. :)

Dynoro

Lumine said:
Ah cool, thanks. I just tested creating a new character and it starts at level 18 while my vanilla character is only level 15. I suppose it'll get a few more levels when I do the optional missions. I also remember now why I never finished this game. I think that Avatar in the last Eldar mission gave me hell even though I hadn't died a single time until that point. Ah well, I will do what you suggested and try some of these optional missions first before starting Chaos Rising.

Thanks again. :)
Ah sorry; expected you to be maxed at level 20. I heartily recommend the last optional missions before doing the expansion as they are great fun and you'll get the see some of the changes that they did to mission design and map layout in the expansion more clearly.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Daigoro said:
and then there's the people who have had zero problems with GFWL and can have it all, without the bitching and moaning.
Did you play ladder matches, though? That's where it sucked the worse.

Last Stand and SP Campaign players don't know true pain.

Gowans007 said:
Look forward to it, loved the last two but especially how they combined their multi.

Whats going to happen this time?
Retribution players can't play with vanilla and CR owners, as it's completely standalone.

Dynoro

K.Jack said:

Retribution players can't play with vanilla and CR owners, as it's completely standalone.
True; I didn't play the ladder matches at all so I don't know what that was like. If it was unplayble i can see why Relix dropped it

ArjanN

Dynoro said:
True; I didn't play the ladder matches at all so I don't know what that was like. If it was unplayble i can see why Relix dropped it

I don't think it was that bad, it mostly made patching the game harder for Relic.

ArjanN

Llyranor said:
Hmm, if it's completely separate, I wonder how Last Stand will work out. I love that mode. So hyped about this xpac.

The add Steam Cloud saving to Last Stand a while ago, so it wouldn't be hard for them to bring your progress over.

And yeah, it's a great mode, and I think there's will probably be some new characters/maps/stuff for it.

Xapati

I only play 3v3 Ranked and imo GFWL isn't bad, but it can be buggy at times and it's far from being good. It's still a huge step up from DoW1 which used Gamespy.

That said, I'm glad they are moving to Steam, as it allows me to have one friends list.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Xapati said:
It's still a huge step up from DoW1 which used Gamespy.
Yeah, but damn I miss the chat lobby. I had so much fun trolling and talking strategy while waiting for the HORRIBLE matchmaking to link up.

THQ just confirmed that Dawn Of War II’s Retribution expansion it to get a multiplayer beta, running from January 31 to February 24.

The test will feature all six multiplayer races from the pack, including the new Imperial Guard faction, and is designed to trial new Steamworks networking and matchmaking features, as well as providing feedback for a “day-zero balancing patch.”

All new units for each race will be available in the beta along with the new multiplayer maps which ship with Retribution.

Retribution, the latest release in THQ’s endless Warhammer 40K effort, releases on March 1.

http://www.vg247.com/2011/01/17/dawn-of-war-ii-–-retribution-multiplay-beta-launches-january-31/

Decado

Just started playing DoW2 yesterday. I'm so glad they adapted a lot of the features from Company of Heroes. I don't care for traditional FPS, but absolutely love this style, and no-one does it as well or better than Relic.

If they get some success on consoles I hope they don't abandon those two RTS franchises.

Mindlog

Massive does it as well.
Atomic Games did it better.

Also, Company of Heroes beta is entering phase 2 :pleasantlypleasedface:

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
zoukka said:
I'm lvl 2 on the online and I get pitted against lvl 60 players.

You clicked a button saying you want to play right *now*. It looks at the available people and found what it could.

I never understand complaining like this. Would you rather the game said "Nope, you can't play right now, there aren't any other lvl 2's"?

Ledsen

About to finish this on Hard (second hardest) difficulty with a friend. He's played hundreds of hours of multiplayer so he's a big help, there's simply no way I would've been able to handle FOUR god damn units at the same time, wow at the multitasking involved... two is plenty and then some. So I'm very glad for the help, it has been a blast :)

Decado

Mindlog said:
Massive does it as well.
Atomic Games did it better.

Also, Company of Heroes beta is entering phase 2 :pleasantlypleasedface:
What games are you talking about?

As for the CoH beta...not interested in online (particularly not "free" games). Bring back SP please.

I'm LTTP with multiplayer. Is there a site that breaks down all the upgrades for each type of squad? Watching replays helps with player movement but tells me very little in terms of build order and what gun/armor does what...

Daigoro

K.Jack said:

nope. that might have something to do with it.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
i don't play single-player and tend to stick with the first race i get familiar with (poor nids).

the fact i'm considering buying this is a testament to how much gfwl devalues a game to me.

Decado

Llyranor said:
He's talking about World in Conflict and Close Combat, I think.
I loved World in Conflict (wouldn't really compare it to CoH/DoW2) and wanted a sequel but the fate of that studio is worse than death (MMO developer...*shudders*) and from what I hear the recent CC games pretty much sucked...

No-one else is making these type of games and doing a great job, from what I see.

Decado

I notice that some missions have a timeline (a few days) in which it must be completed, but others (main missions) don't seem to even though they appear "urgent" (highlighted, in red or purple). Will you fuck up the campaign if you skip a day to do the side missions?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Decado said:
I notice that some missions have a timeline (a few days) in which it must be completed, but others (main missions) don't seem to even though they appear "urgent" (highlighted, in red or purple). Will you fuck up the campaign if you skip a day to do the side missions?

Nope.

Llyranor

Decado said:
I loved World in Conflict (wouldn't really compare it to CoH/DoW2) and wanted a sequel but the fate of that studio is worse than death (MMO developer...*shudders*) and from what I hear the recent CC games pretty much sucked...

No-one else is making these type of games and doing a great job, from what I see.
Have you tried Men of War?

Lumine

This game is giving me a wierd technical issue. After about 30 minutes of play, give or take, my screen goes blank/black every 10 or 15minutes for a couple of seconds. It's quite annoying, but it also has me worried. I never encountered this problem before when I played the game a year or 2 ago nor do I have this issue with any other games.

Is this a more common problem in this game? Anyone know if there is a way to fix this? Could it be my videocard? I hope not, it's a 460GTX and it's barely 2 months old.

Anyway, I finally finished DoW2. Ended up doing a crapload of optional missions before finishing it actually, but now I can move onto Chaos Rising. :)

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Lumine said:
This game is giving me a wierd technical issue. After about 30 minutes of play, give or take, my screen goes blank/black every 10 or 15minutes for a couple of seconds. It's quite annoying, but it also has me worried. I never encountered this problem before when I played the game a year or 2 ago nor do I have this issue with any other games.

Is this a more common problem in this game? Anyone know if there is a way to fix this? Could it be my videocard? I hope not, it's a 460GTX and it's barely 2 months old.

Anyway, I finally finished DoW2. Ended up doing a crapload of optional missions before finishing it actually, but now I can move onto Chaos Rising. :)

unfortunately dow2 and gtx 460s dont seem to play nice at ALL, though they say the latest nvidia drivers should fix most of the issues

Lumine

Bah that's too bad. I will have to try installing new drivers later today then, perhaps that will do the trick.

Thanks. :)

Daigoro said:

Indeed.... we never had any probs with GFWL and I think I played 350 hours of DoW2. The only thing we did was use Steam chat... somehow it seemed logical to do that :)

zoukka said:

That is how the matchmaking goes. It starts looking for people at your level and then slowly expands the search. Since most people are probably high level atm.... well...

Xapati

zoukka said:

Level has no influence who you are getting ranked against. The game uses Trueskill to rank, not Level. The Problem is that when you start out playing online, while it says you have Trueskill 1, that means you actually have Trueskill 25 until it figures out what your real skill is. Unfortunately Trueskill 25 is really high, I've played somewhere between 250 to 300 games and my Trueskill hovers around 21,22. So you have to play about 10 games where you get ranked against good players until it starts pitting you against other noobs. Hopefully with the switch to Steamworks this gets fixed.

If you don't want to go through that, I recommend creating custom games with a title like "noobs only".

Lumine

Corky said:
unfortunately dow2 and gtx 460s dont seem to play nice at ALL, though they say the latest nvidia drivers should fix most of the issues

Installing new drivers did the trick. I haven't encountered the bug anymore. At least not yet.

Anyone mind writing down some of the differences between going corrupt or staying pure in CR? I've been looking around on the web and this thread but there doesn't seem to be much written about this. I'm thinking of simply going fullly corrupt for the fun of it. >:) Then again, I'm liking this addition of the librarian and the option of turning him into a healer... hmm..decisions. :)

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Lumine said:
Installing new drivers did the trick. I haven't encountered the bug anymore. At least not yet.

Anyone mind writing down some of the differences between going corrupt or staying pure in CR? I've been looking around on the web and this thread but there doesn't seem to be much written about this. I'm thinking of simply going fullly corrupt for the fun of it. >:) Then again, I'm liking this addition of the librarian and the option of turning him into a healer... hmm..decisions. :)
Other than achievements, I don't think there's any differences. Campaign's fun enough to do both anyway!

DodgerSan

Question.

I bought the disc version of DoW 2, but registered it on steam via the serial key. Now I play it via steam without the dvd, and all is well.

If I were to buy Chaos Rising directly from steam rather than the disc, would it work ok? Or should I get the disc version?

Xapati

DodgerSan said:
Question.

I bought the disc version of DoW 2, but registered it on steam via the serial key. Now I play it via steam without the dvd, and all is well.

If I were to buy Chaos Rising directly from steam rather than the disc, would it work ok? Or should I get the disc version?

That's what I did. It's no problem.

JoeBoy101

DodgerSan said:
Question.

Since its steamworks, it should work. I'd wait to see if anyone tells me I'm wrong though. I plan to get Retribution via Steam, but have the first two via disc.

Narag

Wow, playing through Chaos Rising this morning and I'm impressed with how the traitor reveal worked. Good stuff.

The downside is Cyrus is gone so no more easy moding. NOooooooooooo

Eh, question guys:

You can get a disc based version of the complete DoW II (including retribution) for the equivalent of 28 euros on amazon.co.uk. Which is better than Steam's 50 euros for the same package.

But I would love to have the games on steam. Does anyone know whether the disc version is steamworks enabled?

markot

Banned
Fallout-NL said:
Eh, question guys:

You can get a disc based version of the complete DoW II (including retribution) for the equivalent of 28 euros on amazon.co.uk. Which is better than Steam's 50 euros for the same package.

But I would love to have the games on steam. Does anyone know whether the disc version is steamworks enabled?
yes

Giving this a shot for the first time since I picked it up at launch, and loving it. I got Retribution yesterday and figured I should probably go back and play the original first.

Random question, and you'll be awarded with imaginary cookies if you can answer it:

Can anyone identify the font they use for the UI (menus and map screen)?

Top Bottom