• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War 2 |OT| FOR THE EMPEROR!!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
PantherAttacks said:
Wow. I can't play DoW2 on the PC anymore because my xbox live gold subscription expired. Words cannot express how shitty GFWL is.
I'm pretty sure all you need is a Silver (free) account. That's all I have and I have been playing fine.

dLMN8R

But why would that affect GFW Live? Shouldn't it just revert to a Silver account, which in turn would work fine for all gameplay on PC?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
dLMN8R said:
But why would that affect GFW Live? Shouldn't it just revert to a Silver account, which in turn would work fine for all gameplay on PC?
It probably already charged the card, so he has outstanding charges. They'll disable the account over that.

SapientWolf said:
I'm guessing that MS is holding his account hostage because he has auto Gold renewal and an expired credit card.

This. Though I was never given an option to enable auto-renew or not, it seems like they decided that for me. So my choices are to enter another credit card and pay for 12 more months of gold or to make a new GFWL account and lose all my progress, achievements, last stand level, etc.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
PantherAttacks said:
This. Though I was never given an option to enable auto-renew or not, it seems like they decided that for me. So my choices are to enter another credit card and pay for 12 more months of gold or to make a new GFWL account and lose all my progress, achievements, last stand level, etc.
So the lesson here is to never, ever, ever enter in your credit card for XBL Gold. MS does some shit that would make the mob blush.

Daigoro

could have turned off auto-renew via the LIVE website. not like they widely publicize that option, but it is there.

-

so i finally playd some Last Stand with the Tyranid boss dude this weekend. that shit is so addictive.

it really is a lot of fun. it would be great if they expanded on the mode. more characters, levels, and gear would be awesome.

poweld

I just began playing this game in earnest since I picked it up in the THQ pack almost a year ago. Man, I am a sucker for loot, and once the hooks got into me they did not let go.

I found myself glued to my monitor for hours yesterday telling myself "just one more mission" until 1AM. This coming from someone whose least favorite genre is RTS! So glad I have a ton more in front of me with Chaos Rising.

Fëanor

tPtOG.jpg

Ooh, funky. Ork-centric could be cool, but it all depends on the implementation (a reskin of the Marine campaigns would be awful, for example).

Nice art, but I do miss Paul Bonner's take on the Orks - that was what made them so appealing in the 80s, and the way GW have depicted them since has lost a lot of that charm.

ArjanN

Daigoro said:
-

so i finally playd some Last Stand with the Tyranid boss dude this weekend. that shit is so addictive.

it really is a lot of fun. it would be great if they expanded on the mode. more characters, levels, and gear would be awesome.

This. I enjoyed The Last Stand more than the regular multiplayer.

Although there is already a lot of gear there for the existing characters once you level up. Any more might unbalance it. Some new maps with different waves of enemies, or new playable characters would be great though.

Cosmonaut X said:
Ooh, funky. Ork-centric could be cool, but it all depends on the implementation (a reskin of the Marine campaigns would be awful, for example).

Yeah, maybe have a new ork-specfic game mode or something.

I still think there's bound to be a new race as well though.

ArjanN

Draft said:
Seriously.

The campaign had better be PLAYABLE Ork pirates plundering shit.

I'd rather have the campaign be a new race, like imperial guard, and see them do a new Orc-specific game mode, like The Last Stand.

The Orks don't seem that well suited to a standard single-player campaign.

Oh, I think this very likely means we'll see more at gamescom. :)

Draft

ArjanN said:
I'd rather have the campaign be a new race, like imperial guard, and see them do a new Orc-specific game mode, like The Last Stand.

The Orks don't seem that well suited to a standard single-player campaign.

Oh, I think this very likely means we'll see more at gamescom. :)
They are perfect single player campaign material. They have funny dialog, there's a dozen reasons they can be fighting at any time, and building a pirate campaign is a logical progression from the DOW2 "protect planets" campaign.

Beware the alien, the mutant, the heretic....

I can't wait for this next expansion. If you include the beta and Chaos Rising, I've put over 400 hours into this game. On that note:

FOR THE EMPEROR!

ArjanN

Draft said:
They are perfect single player campaign material. They have funny dialog, there's a dozen reasons they can be fighting at any time, and building a pirate campaign is a logical progression from the DOW2 "protect planets" campaign.

Well IMO Orks make better enemies than protagonists.
And they really only have one reason to fight: they like fighting.

I want all the races to have their own single player campaign really. And not some generic campaign like in Soul Storm, but like Chaos Rising with well-designed unique missions.

I'm sure there will be another (new) race as well anyway, maybe Imperial Guard as enemies for the Orks.

Oh, and notice how the fuse for the bomb is shorter than in the previous picture.

Megaton incoming. :p

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
ArjanN said:
Hope they move The Last Stand mode over to retribution as well then. Since this will make DoW2 and Chaos Rising pretty much obsolete.
TLS will come over. It's far too popular for them to leave it in the graveyard of GFWL.

Curufinwe

Warning - that spoiler down there is a big one if you haven't finished both games.

I am really bad at this game and play on the lowest difficulty, but I still enjoy it. I got up to the second to last mission of Chaos Rising last night and it took me 71 minutes to beat
Avitus.

After about 25 minutes I had him surrounded with all four squads and his health down to about 50%, and then before I realized what was happening he killed my commander and Jonah with some kind of super-powered mini-gun attack. I managed to make my two Terminator squads retreat, but only my commander had med kits and
Avitus
was standing over their dead bodies so getting in close enough for long enough to revive them was very tricky.

The scrolling ticker at the main menu screen announcing that a recent GFWLive update makes the game crash if you try and use voice chat is pretty hilarious. No wonder the next expansion is using Steamworks, even though I do actually really like getting Achievements from DoW II.

A recent Games for Windows LIVE update is causing a crash in Dawn of War 2 when using LIVE voice chat. We are currently working to resolve this issue and apologize for the inconvenience. In the mean time, please disable voice chat to continue enjoying Dawn of War 2.

oktarb

Has anyone found more detailed information on Retribution? There seem somewhat vague. For instances:

Army builder metagame - Upgrade your heroes and unlock new buildable units as you progress through the single player campaign.

This sounds great but what do you think it means?

ArjanN

oktarb said:
Has anyone found more detailed information on Retribution? There seem somewhat vague. For instances:

Army builder metagame - Upgrade your heroes and unlock new buildable units as you progress through the single player campaign.

This sounds great but what do you think it means?

Just check out some of the previews, or go to the official forums, there's plenty of information out there on Retribution.

K.Jack

I hope that doesn't mean we'll get another Dark Crusade slash Soulstorm campaign.

Please, no.

K.Jack

I played through the DC campaign with every available race, some twice. I loved it.

That style of campaign doesn't gel with the story focused campaigns of DoW2.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
A DC style campaign would work fine with DoW2, espcially if they ramp up the random loot tables so that you can farm for stuff more effectively. It's not like the stories in DoW 2 and Chaos Rising were any good.

ripsa

Neo Member
Amazing game. I finally picked this up a couple of weeks back and have put some good hours into this. Completed the vanilla campagin and CR a couple of times increasing the difficulty. Love the amount of tactical thinking that goes into each mission and how you can approach it.

Originally did everything with as much firepower as possible using every Termie armour I could find and the dreadnought. Recently really started enjoying a stealth approach with Cyrus keeping everyone cloaked, lots of sniper shots, remote detonations, assualt marines jumping in and killing enemies before they could properly react, only using the normal power armour and avoiding dreadnought usage since he tramples over cover and wading in with a giant walking death machine isn't really stealthy..

Absolutley love it. Possible contender for my favourite game of all of time. My favourite three genres are loot RPGs, RTS games, and sci-fi shooters or action based games. Love that this combines those. Really well put together game with lots of content. Enjoyed last Stand a lot.

Can't wait for Retribution. Glad they're finally dumping GFW but sad that you won't be able to import your campaign and all your loot like you could in Chaos Rising. Looking forward to playing other races. Fantastic iteration of a great series.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
dorkimoe said:
i liked gfw, i want my achievements in dawn of war games, they were well done
And then there's people who care more about the game than achievements, and didn't like how shitty GFWL matchmaking is.

ripsa said:
Amazing game. I finally picked this up a couple of weeks back and have put some good hours into this. Completed the vanilla campagin and CR a couple of times increasing the difficulty. Love the amount of tactical thinking that goes into each mission and how you can approach it.

Originally did everything with as much firepower as possible using every Termie armour I could find and the dreadnought. Recently really started enjoying a stealth approach with Cyrus keeping everyone cloaked, lots of sniper shots, remote detonations, assualt marines jumping in and killing enemies before they could properly react, only using the normal power armour and avoiding dreadnought usage since he tramples over cover and wading in with a giant walking death machine isn't really stealthy..

Absolutley love it. Possible contender for my favourite game of all of time. My favourite three genres are loot RPGs, RTS games, and sci-fi shooters or action based games. Love that this combines those. Really well put together game with lots of content. Enjoyed last Stand a lot.

Can't wait for Retribution. Glad they're finally dumping GFW but sad that you won't be able to import your campaign and all your loot like you could in Chaos Rising. Looking forward to playing other races. Fantastic iteration of a great series.
Not my favorite, but I'm with you on loving it, for sure. Especially after playing through SC2's campaign. :lol

I recently started to play through these games again and I still need to finish both campaigns for the first time.

Is there still a decent community playing Last Stand? I'd love to get a few matches in before Retribution dominates the community.

I have to say that I will miss the XBL achievements. But I'm definitely looking forward to the solid online structure that Steam will provide.

Jirotrom

OK, I lost my save somehow on my first run through of DOWII, thing is Im starting with chaos rising now.

Do I have to play vanilla DOWII in order to get all the terminator armor?

Curufinwe said:
Warning - that spoiler down there is a big one if you haven't finished both games.

That's not really a spoiler because
the traitor is based on how you played the game, it's not the same character for everyone.

Jirotrom said:
OK, I lost my save somehow on my first run through of DOWII, thing is Im starting with chaos rising now.

Do I have to play vanilla DOWII in order to get all the terminator armor?

IIRC, you start a fresh save in CR with a couple of sets of 'broken' terminator armour, so you have some, but possibly not as many as you would have picked up during your normal DOW campaign.

Jirotrom

MrNyarlathotep said:
IIRC, you start a fresh save in CR with a couple of sets of 'broken' terminator armour, so you have some, but possibly not as many as you would have picked up during your normal DOW campaign.
are you able to pick up more in chaos rising enough for 4?

K.Jack

We should do a new thread, for Retribution. I'll start working on an OP now.

There's so much to cover with a Warhammer 40k game, it'll take some time.
Lyphen said:
And then there's people who care more about the game than achievements, and didn't like how shitty GFWL matchmaking is.
The Emperor approves of this post.

Jirotrom said:
are you able to pick up more in chaos rising enough for 4?

I believe you can if you explore all the levels fully loot whoring, and have the right kind of purity 'spread', but IIRC you won't necessarily have enough to get the space hulk achievement when that comes around... been a while since I played the CR campaign

Top Bottom