• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War 2 |OT| FOR THE EMPEROR!!

TheExodu5

Banned
bigdaddygamebot said:
No idea there was an "offline mode"

o_O

:lol

Don't worry, you'll learn to love Steam over time. It had some growing pains, but it's developed into an incredible service. It does have problems from time to time, but they've become increasingly rare. The only problem I can remember having in the past year is when it came to downloading DoW2 (the download starting... bug).

To change to offline mode, click on File -> Go Offline...

That will change it to offline mode, which will allow all your games to be played without being authenticated with Steam (except online portions of games that use Steam authentication of course, of course).

AeroGod

If anyone wanted to play co-op multiplayer on the max difficulty or something shoot me an invite. My gamertag is Aerogod. I really want to try co-op but i have no friends that have this :(

thaOwner

TheExodu5 said:
Newest drivers available for Windows 7 are 179.43.
http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=22942

Those are the drivers I have installed for my ASUS G50V. Some here on GAF recommended
me that site and I've been using it since last year. It was the only way I could get some
games (Far Cry 2, Crysis Warhead, GTA4) to play on my system and the only to get updates
at all since NVIDIA didn't even have drivers on their site for my system until recently.

TheExodu5

Banned
Neo-Sheperd said:
http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=22942

Those are the drivers I have installed for my ASUS G50V. Some here on GAF recommended
me that site and I've been using it since last year. It was the only way I could get some
games (Far Cry 2, Crysis Warhead, GTA4) to play on my system and the only to get updates
at all since NVIDIA didn't even have drivers on their site for my system until recently.

Yeah I mentioned previously in the thread that the Vista drivers register as Windows 7 drivers so it's all good.

I tested both, and 182.06 seems to be a decent amount faster than 182.50 in DoW2.

Minsc

Gold Member
So can you uninstall Steam after the game's activated it's copy protection? I really have no desire to have it installed for more than I need to.

Darklord

Banned
Minsc said:
So can you uninstall Steam after the game's activated it's copy protection? I really have no desire to have it installed for more than I need to.

No, it needs steam every time to runs. Whats wrong with it installed though?

TheExodu5 said:
Maybe some of us enjoy talking about performance?

Anyways, it looks like Vista drivers install themselves as Windows 7 drivers (even though they don't say so on the NVidia site). I'll install the newest beta drivers and report.

edit: tried the non beta 182.06 drivers first.

Ultra settings (1680*1050, with AA on)

ftd8id.jpg

Holy friggin' shit!

WOOOOOOOOO!

edit2: okay it says 1fps...that was just a FRAPS bug. :lol It was actually running at 48FPS.

Time to try the 185.20 drivers.

edit: 185.20 drivers are considerably worse, for Windows 7 anyways. 37fps.

I've heard several people say "Ultra" runs better than "High". Weird.

Too bad my settings don't even HAVE ultra as a choice.:lol

:(

Truant

Why are everybody complaining about performance?

It runs like a dream on mine at Ultra settings, and I struggle to run Crysis.

Darklord

Banned
Truant said:
Why are everybody complaining about performance?

It runs like a dream on mine at Ultra settings, and I struggle to run Crysis.

My computer sucks and it can run it great on medium. In fact I was really amazed at how high I have turned it up without a performance hit. I kept thinking "Yeah, I've put it too high this time it'll be jolting like anything" and nope, still smooth as anything. I'm just going to crank everything as high as it can go(the highest options are blacked out for me) and see how it goes.

It runs better than other RTS games out now like Red Alert 3.

Mohonky

ugh getting sick of this Failed to load dump error. After every single mission. It saves everything so I'm not really losing anything it's just a pain to restart the game after every mission.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Damn, once you get Cyrus a decent Sniper Rifle and level his cloaking skills, he's a freaking beast.

Are there any bolt pistol drops in this game? I'm level 12, and just saw the first one.
TheExodu5 said:
edit: tried the non beta 182.06 drivers first.

Ultra settings (1680*1050, with AA on)
Wow I owe you. You made me curious, so I tried out this 182.06. Shhhit.:lol

I play at the same settings as you, and I went from 22 fps to 36. There must be some Windows 7 optimizations in there.

So, got about 6 hours in on Normal mode and decided to try it on Easy to see if there was any real difference. So far, I see no difference. heh. I heard that the harder difficulty settings actually rewarded better exp for the increased challenge. This true?

Minsc

Gold Member
Copy just arrived, soon I can see how awful it runs on my old box :lol

Darklord said:
No, it needs steam every time to runs. Whats wrong with it installed though?

I already have 18 icons in my system tray and 77 processes, I guess what's one more? I just really have no use for steam, that's my main reason for avoiding it.

Zzoram

Minsc said:

I already have 18 icons in my system tray and 77 processes, I guess what's one more? I just really have no use for steam, that's my main reason for avoiding it.

Steam isn't very resource intensive and it's a great storefront. Go the the GAF SteamID thread and add them to your Steam Friends list.

Haeleos

So is Ultra only for Vista 64bit?

I'm running Windows XP with a GeForce 9800 GT and I'm capped at low settings. What the hell?

Love this game. Its actually the first game I've ever bought from Steam. Went on a 20 game win streak with my arranged team yesterday (my gamertag ColdDeckEd if anyone wants to play a game online). Took me the beta to figure out, but as was said before flanking AND cover are the key to this game. Never be out in the open, always try to be behind somekind of cover. I never played Company of Heroes, so I can't compare it to that, but coming from War3/Dota, this game feels so sophisticated. Did you guys know if you hold alt, you can place the camera whereever you like? This is really fun when watching replays.

A few things I do not like; even in offline mode there was like a hour or so I could not play. Said something about unable to contact key server. I wish the population cap was a little higher, maybe like 130. Alot of people have their setting turned too high, and games can get very laggy. There are still alot of bugs in this game. I've crashed twice already, and have had numerous things happen to me in game such as not being able to pull my hero off from attacking a retreating unit. And it would be nice if they could increase the victory points to 750, because games tend to be pretty short.

FatalT

Banned
Mohonky said:
ugh getting sick of this Failed to load dump error. After every single mission. It saves everything so I'm not really losing anything it's just a pain to restart the game after every mission.

Try lowering your Texture Detail and Effects Fidelity settings to medium or low. I had the same filed to load dump errors as you and I just lowered Effects Fidelity from Ultra to High and now I don't get them anymore.

Minsc

Gold Member
Someone please tell me I can install this game to a drive other than the C:\, what is this DOS? My C:\ is my OS drive only, I don't put games on it. There's gotta be a way to choose where the game installs right?

TheExodu5

Banned
Minsc said:
Someone please tell me I can install this game to a drive other than the C:\, what is this DOS? My C:\ is my OS drive only, I don't put games on it. There's gotta be a way to choose where the game installs right?

It installs in your Steam folder...at least that's what it should do. Not sure about the disc version though.

Minsc

Gold Member
TheExodu5 said:
It installs in your Steam folder...at least that's what it should do. Not sure about the disc version though.

Some searching reveals I had to install Steam to where I want the games to be installed... oh well. I just have to delete Steam and reinstall it on another drive now, at least there's a way. It's not like everyone in the world runs a 500 gig drive for their main windows drive, or doesn't use partitions. I'm surprised you can't just pick per game where you want the local files stored.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Did they fix the weird bug on some dual core machines? I had to disable dual core to keep the game from crashing in the beta (by setting the affinity to one processor).

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Minsc said:
Some searching reveals I had to install Steam to where I want the games to be installed... oh well. I just have to delete Steam and reinstall it on another drive now, at least there's a way. It's not like everyone in the world runs a 500 gig drive for their main windows drive, or doesn't use partitions. I'm surprised you can't just pick per game where you want the local files stored.
You don't need do delete anything.
Just copy your steam folder so you don't have to reinstall anything!

K.Jack

SapientWolf said:
Did they fix the weird bug on some dual core machines? I had to disable dual core to keep the game from crashing in the beta (by setting the affinity to one processor).
The patch notes listed a couple fixes for multi-threaded crashing issues, so try it out.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Just traveled to another system. This game is really fun. Tried to do multiplayer but finding a match was taking too long so I quit. Anyone else experiencing this?

Zeliard

K.Jack said:
Damn, once you get Cyrus a decent Sniper Rifle and level his cloaking skills, he's a freaking beast.

Are there any bolt pistol drops in this game? I'm level 12, and just saw the first one.

Make sure you get Cyrus' High-Powered Shot ability if you have a sniper rifle. It's so useful against larger enemies and bosses. Plus, it just looks cool zooming down to Cyrus and seeing him sniping the fuck out of someone at a distance. I love the level of detail on the characters in the game - you can tell Cyrus is carrying a sniper rifle (if he is) just by looking at him, even if you're zoomed all the way up, since the weapon is so lengthy.

And I've had a few bolt pistol drops, though I've yet to hit level 9 with anyone. The loot seems pretty random. I got two level 5 bolt pistols in the same mission once.

Minsc

Gold Member
Des0lar said:
You don't need do delete anything.
Just copy your steam folder so you don't have to reinstall anything!

Yea, that did the trick. Afterwards I managed somehow to end up downloading the game instead of installing it off the disc. Luckily it managed to stay around 3MB/s so I didn't need to bother figuring out how to point it to use the local files on the disc.

Hard to believe the game is not even 4GBs... it was a little over 7GBs on the disc, guess other languages take up a lot of space.

Haeleos

Zzoram said:
It shouldn't cap you at low.

Shadows and Shaders are capped at low for me. :( I don't think anything goes above medium, anyways. But there are definitely some that are set to low.

Why did Relic not just allow higher settings, even if the computer can't handle them (which I'm pretty sure mine can)... There aren't any DX10 features in this game, so I don't see the problem.

K.Jack

Haeleos, try adding -disable32bitcheck to your shortcut. That should unlock the settings.

Zeliard

K.Jack said:
Haeleos, try adding -disable32bitcheck to your shortcut. That should unlock the settings.

If this doesn't work, go into your Documents\My Games\Dawn of War 2\Settings folder, and open up configuration.lua with notepad. Under "texture detail" and "effects fidelty", change the numbers from 2 (high) to 3 (ultra).

Is there something going on with Steam today? I can't play DOW 2 unless it is in offline mode which is a problem because i want some multi-player goodness.

Haeleos

Outside of me not being able to set my graphics settings higher than low/medium on some things, this is the best single player campaign in an RTS I've played. I love everything about it.

Ryu

sooperkool said:
Is there something going on with Steam today? I can't play DOW 2 unless it is in offline mode which is a problem because i want some multi-player goodness.

Not that I know of. A friend of mine and I just finished about 8 or so missions in coop. Game is FANTASTIC in coop. You really get to fine tune your squads and really use them sufficiently. It's best if you can split it so one person controls close quarters melee squads while the other concentrates on range. Really makes for some DEVASTATING combinations.

I love this game.

Darklord

Banned
God, I suck at this game! Whats wrong with me? Normally I'm ok at RTS games but wow, I'm terrible at this.

I lost the last game in about 2 minutes! I can't seem to hold capture points and end up getting overwhelmed by the other guys forces...any tips?

Minsc

Gold Member
Well no surprise, need to play with everything to low to maintain 25+ fps at 1920x1200. Lowering the resolution makes everything pretty much unreadable, and doesn't result in much of a framerate improvement anyway. It's definitely time for a new PC! Game does look quite fun, played a few skirmishes against the CPU but lost, not used to all the changes, I should give the campaign a shot later.

Sanjay

Darklord said:
I lost the last game in about 2 minutes!

2e2qdcy.jpg

Trying to play a rank game takes forever, waited round to 5/10mins and gave up and just played a public game instead and by the way the tin case box is very awesome looking.

dLMN8R

Minsc said:

Jeez dude, cut down on that shit and your old box will run it a shitload better! :lol

EGM92

Quick question, I want to set Ultra details on my DoW2.

Texture Detail has it greyed out as does Effects Fidelity. I'm running an i7 965 - HD4850X2 2GB - 3GB DDR3 ram. A little help?

EGM92 said:
Quick question, I want to set Ultra details on my DoW2.

Texture Detail has it greyed out as does Effects Fidelity. I'm running an i7 965 - HD4850X2 2GB - 3GB DDR3 ram. A little help?
You have Vista or XP?

CTLance

10n8ivt.png

I am very much looking forward to playing this. Judging by my usual tactic/strategy gameplay experience, I'm gonna suck so much even the Tyranid will have pity on me. It'll be awesome.

Edit: Arrrrgh. Foiled again. If that is due to my dual monitor setup again, I'm gonna cry.
...and the fact that I have to jot down and type in a reg key for multiplayer manually instead of having that stuff handled by the steam (or GFW) part is annoying. What the heck.

Edit 2: Oh, it was just because the installer wanted a xlive.dll and couldn't find it... which means I needed to manually install GFW. How incredibly userfriendly. Well, at least the gfw setup was already in the same directory as the aux_setup.exe. Still, what the hell. This is almost as shoddily coded as the Ati driver/CCC setup not checking for .NET runtimes before using it.

Edit 3: I'm gonna cry. DoW2 uses my shoddy non-gaming VGA card and not the 4850 that drives my 21" CRT. No way to select it, either. The resulting framerate and resolution on the menu screen is dazzling. For some reason there's no sound too, although the Live dropdown bleeps and bloops happily while trying to sell me on some survey. Furthermore, the Steam overlay with the Multiplayer code hides the options/quit buttons. This is simply awesome. I will get this game to run ASAP, but by now I'm really not in the mood anymore. Head, meet desktop. I want to bite things.

CTLance said:
Furthermore, the Steam overlay with the Multiplayer code hides the options/quit buttons. This is simply awesome. I will get this game to run ASAP, but by now I'm really not in the mood anymore. Head, meet desktop. I want to bite things.
you can deactivate the overlay by just unchecking it in the overlay menu of steam (shift + tab)

Darklord

Banned
Sanjay said:
Trying to play a rank game takes forever, waited round to 5/10mins and gave up and just played a public game instead and by the way the tin case box is very awesome looking.

I can only see 3 or 4 custom games when I search for them. Whats with that? Even smaller RTS games have a couple of dozen.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Darklord said:
I can only see 3 or 4 custom games when I search for them. Whats with that? Even smaller RTS games have a couple of dozen.
They hide away from you the games with high pin so that you don't ruin the experience for them. Also, if your performance (not your settings, but if you generally lag the games for others) they will hide games away from you.

Darklord

Banned
godhandiscen said:
They hide away from you the games with high pin so that you don't ruin the experience for them. Also, if your performance (not your settings, but if you generally lag the games for others) they will hide games away from you.

:\

Ranked games are lag free though but most custom games are like 300 ping. I wish it would at least have a refresh button. I hate clicking on servers with 1/6 people just to see "This game is full".

Top Bottom