• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War 2 |OT| FOR THE EMPEROR!!

zenbot

Hellcrow said:
Excellent review. However, only time will tell if there will be a definit tactic that works best.
I can see this criticism applying to the campaign. (I'm not far into it, so I can't really say.) But the multiplayer? Given my experience in the beta (and excluding obvious one-off balance stuff, like the original 'shees and the Tyrant's venom cannon), no way.

FatalT

Banned
I just picked this up and installed it from the disc, now I'm downloading some update on Steam. Ah well, 17 minutes and I'll be playing! I'm guessing this is the Day 0 patch that I'm getting. I'm glad to see this getting high reviews all across the board.

My steam name is FatalT if any of you are up for some games. I'm a Space Marines guy.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
that review read like how i felt after a few hours of the multiplayer beta. feeling that had become trounced by whatever godforsaken hour i'd reached by the time the beta ended.

missing base building in dow2 is like missing grenades in tf2. i can't stand behind anyone who believes that is a relevant point of conjecture against a game of this kind.

Google

Gasgul said:
please stop raping your customers,

How the fuck are you being raped?

You're being asked, very nicely, to sign into Steam, to play the game, and then, once you're in the game, you're being asked to sign into GFW.

Both of these take 5 seconds to do, and if you're really that inconvenienced, just allow it to save your username and password, and it's automatic.

If you're concerned about the performance hit, I suggest you learn how to set up your PC a little better so that a 1% decrease in performance doesn't result in you're inability to play a fucking game!

Gasgul

Google said:
How ___ are you being raped?

here and here,

ive done all the above, even went into the gfw settings to turn off the notifier, there is no GD need to have all that crap turned on from the word go, when im in the single player campaign there is no need for me to be online, I bought a retail box copy of the effing game yet still have to kowtow to this GD crap,

thankfully the game is good hence i spent my free time when i got home playing it after clumsily fumbling for all the off switches i could locate, I'm sure there is a way i can turn all the steam and gfw crap off and still play the game itself without pop-ups and the rest of the intrusive crap that's been bundled with it.

Google

Gasgul said:
here and here,

ive done all the above, even went into the gfw settings to turn off the notifier, there is no GD need to have all that crap turned on from the word go, when im in the single player campaign there is no need for me to be online, I bought a retail box copy of the effing game yet still have to kowtow to this GD crap,

thankfully the game is good hence i spent my free time when i got home playing it after clumsily fumbling for all the off switches i could locate, I'm sure there is a way i can turn all the steam and gfw crap off and still play the game itself without pop-ups and the rest of the intrusive crap that's been bundled with it.

Sir,

You want to experience the pain that comes with leaving your house, if this type of shit bothers you.

Gasgul said:
here and here,

The GFW logo pops up once when the game boots, if thats intrusive to you then your an ass

mr stroke

Proc said:
This is happening to me as well. When I fill out the error report, my browser pops up and Relic indicates that this is a common problem that they are working on :/

I'm going to turn down the quality to high and see if that helps.

edit: I was able to get it working by turning effects fidelity from ultra to high.

What are your PC specs?

Gasgul

Cat in the Hat said:
The GFW logo pops up once when the game boots, if thats intrusive to you then your an ass

pfft, me being an ass is not the issue,

that doesn't change the fact that its there and i had to go out of my way to turn it off

Mrbob

Played the campaign in co op with a friend for about 3 hours tonight.

So much fun. I might actually prefer playing the campaign in co op. Coordinating attacks is easier, as you only control two groups of units instead of four. Makes flanking easier to do.

couple more pics

dow22009-02-1923-43-01-02.jpg

dow22009-02-1923-58-28-76.jpg

dow22009-02-2000-21-55-11.jpg

dow22009-02-2000-02-16-87.jpg

dow22009-02-1923-35-15-44.jpg

dow22009-02-1923-38-18-20.jpg

I love this game still (Lvl 14 now), just found that you can get rid of items in your inventory:lol

It gives you exp too when you trash them

Google

Is it my imagination, or could you set orders to your squads in CoH when paused?

There are times when things get a little too much, and I need to step back, pause, and set up my squads, but it doesn't seem to want to let you do that.

Spruchy

Boss battles in this game are pretty sweet even if they all mostly boil down to dodging some sort of special attack and then resuming fire.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Just wanted to post that I am loving this game. I did the campaigns first mission and a MP match. both went well, though I lost the MP match.

Nocebo

It's downloading at home right now. I can't wait to get home and crush some newbie skulls under my orky boots :lol

Neckbeard69

Neo Member
Nocebo said:
It's downloading at home right now. I can't wait to get home and crush some newbie skulls under my orky boots :lol

Same here.
I live close to work, so I will take walk home during a slightly longer lunch-break to start the Waaaagh! :D

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Well, I'm playing on Primarch, as a real man should, and 9 Days in, this game is fucking awesome. I am taking some butt whoopings, but it is a good pain.

I haven't even tried out the revamped MP, because I've been too addicted to the campaign.
Google said:
Is it my imagination, or could you set orders to your squads in CoH when paused?

There are times when things get a little too much, and I need to step back, pause, and set up my squads, but it doesn't seem to want to let you do that.
I've issued commands while paused. Have you been pausing with the actual Pause key on your keyboard?

On a side note, I can't wait to see what they do with Chaos.

DodgerSan

Amidst all the bitching how about this? HOORAY FOR STEAM!

Bought the boxed copy and for some reason the drive on my gaming rig won't even see the disk. (Laptop does, but it's not man enough to run it).

However one CD-key and download later, and I'm happily playing sans disk. So count me in the happy bunny camp :)

Darklord

Banned
psy18 said:
Almost bought this until I noticed it needs BOTH steam and gfw.
Yuck.

Why would that stop you buying it? I'm not a fan of it but I wouldn't refuse to buy a great game because of that.

Has anyone else had a bug with Assault Marine's where you tell them to meltabomb a target and they just stand there like bloody lemons? happened three times now to the point I won't buy them :(

Enjoying the game a lot though, SP surprisingly more enjoyable than I was expecting.

Gowans

My god, I checked out the single player before work, ended up doing the first three missions it's so good.

I have became obsessed with keeping my guys alive, collecting loot and killing I can to level up quicker.

It's seems so focused on the interplay between your small group it's gonna be great training for the multi.

TheExodu5

Banned
Yeah this game is fantastic. Easily the best singleplayer campaign I've played in an RTS.

Anyone else playing on Low settings, even with an 8800GT? I'm running an E6600 @ 3.0GHz and an 8800GT @ 700/990. Going from Low to High shader setting halves the framerate, to an annoying ~30fps. I play with models/textures at high of course, since those have little effect on performance.

Neckbeard69

Neo Member
TheExodu5 said:
Yeah this game is fantastic. Easily the best singleplayer campaign I've played in an RTS.

Anyone else playing on Low settings, even with an 8800GT? I'm running an E6600 @ 3.0GHz and an 8800GT @ 700/990. Going from Low to High shader setting halves the framerate, to an annoying ~30fps. I play with models/textures at high of course, since those have little effect on performance.

Sneaked home during the lunchbreak, and had a go at the game. Ended up playing the first three missions.
This game is all over my face.
I LOVE the report at the end of a mission: Kills 100% etc...
And the extra achievements don't hurt either! My e-peen is growing even when I am not playing the 360! :D

I got it running on a 8800GT as well. Everything set to Ultra. No problems, runs beautiful.

psy18

Darklord said:
Why would that stop you buying it? I'm not a fan of it but I wouldn't refuse to buy a great game because of that.

Dunno. Why would they put both Steam and GFW?
I'm not against Steam or GFW but I why must they put unnecessary crap in the game?
I thought Steam already has everything GFW?

Neckbeard69

Neo Member
psy18 said:
Dunno. Why would they put both Steam and GFW?
I'm not against Steam or GFW but I why must they put unnecessary crap in the game?
I thought Steam already has everything GFW?

Yeah, it is a big pain.
There's an orgy of Steam and GFW pop ups when you start the game.
I thought I read somewhere that Relic went for Steam for the DRM,
And Microsoft might have handed some money hats or something, or they might be planning some multiplayer shenanigans with the rumoured 360 port.
Don't quote me on this, I might have been sniffing glue again.

Imagine Dawn of War 2 like a puppy. And GFW like a bit of piss on the carpet.
Would you be so cold and heartless to throw the puppy on the street for a bit of piss on the carpet? :D

psy18

Neckbeard69 said:
Yeah, it is a big pain.
And Microsoft might have handed some money hats or something, or they might be planning some multiplayer shenanigans with the rumoured 360 port.

Would you be so cold and heartless to throw the puppy on the street for a bit of piss on the carpet? :D

No. But I'll throw the carpet out instead. :D

Victrix

*beard*
Multiplayer is still a horribly botched sluggish crashfest :|

And a bunch of the bugs they said would be fixed in the day 1 patch are not, AND they introduced a really obnoxious reinforcement bug for space marines.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I absolutely love the single player. The loot management coupled with the great art design make what's probably a run-of-the-mill space marine story actually interesting because you care about the characters.

And the game looks gorgeous on my rig. I have my radeonhd 4870 running at stock speed and my cpu is a 2.6 ghz core 2 duo, 4 gigs of ram on vista 64. Game runs great and I've encountered no instability. Everything on ultra here.:D

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
I love when you charge into the enemy and they go flying.

Deacan

I got the keyring, I was rather surprised when it flew out the envelope.

thaOwner

This is truly the game of the Gods. I have been playing for about two hours now and I absolutely
love it. For the people who have played the first game, is this game that different from the first ?

Neo-Sheperd said:
This is truly the game of the Gods. I have been playing for about two hours now and I absolutely
love it. For the people who have played the first game, is this game that different from the first ?

Yes it is. The first was your standard RTS setup, where the story would take you mission to mission, and you would build up, and defeat your opponents. Nothing carried over, heroes and what-not.

Xapati

Neo-Sheperd said:

There's quite a difference.

Deacan

If anyone wants to try co-op, my Live gamertag is PeanutPirate

Sanjay

Neckbeard69 said:
Yeah, it is a big pain.

Steam was used for DRM, you can turn off the popups. GFW Live is used for DOW2 ONLINE aspects only. I believe Relic chose GFW Live because the infrastructure needed for peer two peer related stuff comes with it ready.

shuri

Banned
gamerecks said:
Yes it is. The first was your standard RTS setup, where the story would take you mission to mission, and you would build up, and defeat your opponents. Nothing carried over, heroes and what-not.
the single player mode is pretty much like the ones in dow:dark crusade, it was just less script-intense. Your main character would gain experience and items just like in gow2.

The single player mode of DOW:DC was a bit more like Risk where you would move your squad around a planet, conquering areas and leaving reinforcements so that the other races wouldnt just roll and take your captured areas.

shuri said:
the single player mode is pretty much like the ones in dow:dark crusade, it was just less script-intense. Your main character would gain experience and items just like in gow2.

Totally forgot about DC and Soulstorm. They basically took that approach and focused on teams instead of troop build ups.

Top Bottom