• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40k's MOBA Attempt is Dark Nexus Arena

HowZatOZ

Banned
Searched and couldn't find but lock if old.

Games Workshop has announced their own MOBA, titled Dark Nexus Arena. It will be based in the Dark Eldar homeworld of Commorragh and you'll take control of a veteran from various races of the Warhammer 40k universe.

So far the confirmed are; Ork Stormboys, Space Marine Assault Terminators and Tau Empire Fire Warriors, each with a variety of different moves. The trailer below shows a fair few more.

Early access is expected in Q2 of 2015, but you can "pre-order" that early access now. Prices range from $25 through to $250 with a whole bucket of random stuff to celebrate the ridiculous price. Presumably it is free-to-play, though they haven't explicitly said anything.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvdpEwovrsg

From a balance perspective how does any of those playable characters make sense? Tau fire warriors fighting terminators? The tabletop player in me is dying right now.

Baalzebup

Doesn't look like much of anything really and the weak attempt of trying to give this anything even resembling a lore justification reeks of idiocy.

A Space Marine, in Terminator armor no less, agreeing to fight for Dark Eldar entertainment? Dude has a thunder hammer and a teleporter, he'd be out and about smashing heads until he is overwhelmed and killed.

Fou-Lu

A Space Marine, in Terminator armor no less, agreeing to fight for Dark Eldar entertainment? Dude has a thunder hammer and a teleporter, he'd be out and about smashing heads until he is overwhelmed and killed.

Why do you think he agreed? Dark Eldar love to capture powerful warriors and make them fight, and they are probably the single most advanced race in 40k, they can capture suns, create pocket dimensions, and put black holes in boxes and they have perfected cloning, I am sure they could keep him around if they wanted..

deleted

Looks really dark - like hard to make anything out dark. And if Warhammer lends itself well to a MOBA game... I don't know.

Since every other franchise is becoming a MOBA now, I'd like some Dragonball MOBA - thx.

luffeN

Looks really dark - like hard to make anything out dark. And if Warhammer lends itself well to a MOBA game... I don't know.

Since every other franchise is becoming a MOBA now, I'd like some Dragonball MOBA - thx.

Why not make it a Jump MOBA and put everyone in there!

Wiktor

The setting is perfect for MOBA. The biggest problem League and Dota 2 have is terribly boring and mundane heroes/races. Plus they seem to be aiming at top down shooter-like combat.

So all that is promising, but the teaser looks meh.

Yeah, a space marine termie vs a fire warrior is so one sided it isn't even funny.

No it isn't. A fire warrior on the tabletop has a chance to retreat and fire till a terminator was dead, it may take a while tho. 5.5% chance per turn to kill the term, outside of rapid fire range, according to my math-hammer. The background fluff never matches what happens on the tabletop anyway, so it won't matter.

Doesn't look like much of anything really and the weak attempt of trying to give this anything even resembling a lore justification reeks of idiocy.

Only wyches fight in the arenas by choice. There's even rumour of one of the primarchs being forced to fight there. Still, a terminator is a bit overkill compared to the competition. An assault marine would have seemed more sensible.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
How come people keep developing Warhammer games left and right when not a single one of them seems to be successful?

Why do you think he agreed? Dark Eldar love to capture powerful warriors and make them fight, and they are probably the single most advanced race in 40k, they can capture suns, create pocket dimensions, and put black holes in boxes and they have perfected cloning, I am sure they could keep him around if they wanted..

What? Necrons are much more advanced I thought just not all of them have awoken yet.

theRizzle

I can't watch the video because I'm at work but it bums me out that the impressions are not great in this thread. Not that the world needs another MOBA, but the 40K Universe has some great characters in it and I think the potential is there for a cool game.

Wait, so we're not even playing as established characters? Just "Genericus McMarine?"

Weeeeeeeak

Also, some of those matchups looks pretty out there. Lone fire warrior vs. Terminator is going to go only one way.

Xiaoki

Yay it looks like all of the other Dota clones just with a 40k skin to it.

Is originality really that difficult?

Tacitus_

No it isn't. A fire warrior on the tabletop has a chance to retreat and fire till a terminator was dead, it may take a while tho. 5.5% chance per turn to kill the term, outside of rapid fire range, according to my math-hammer. The background fluff never matches what happens on the tabletop anyway, so it won't matter.

Yeah, I was going with movie marines. Even without fluff, a lone firewarrior locked in an arena with a terminator won't end well for the xenos.

Xater

Sure, go ahead ;)

GonPudge and GokuSven vs. VegetaPhoenix and NarutoLycan

You guys should check out 300 Heroes...

Hard to get excited for this one and I like MOBAs and Warhammer. So far it doesn't seem like they are even trying to do something original and let's be honest the MOBA market is pretty much already staked out.

um okay

go install wc3 like 6 years ago

I think it is too dark. Change the color of the ground.

I also agree that making new Moba's seems like a bad idea. HotS seems to be the only new one that will have some traction. They take too long to get good for people to try new ones.

Wait, so we're not even playing as established characters? Just "Genericus McMarine?"

Weeeeeeeak

Also, some of those matchups looks pretty out there. Lone fire warrior vs. Terminator is going to go only one way.

You can buy character skins!

DWfXE7B.jpg

Those prices don't look completely insane, no sir. And who gives a monkey's about Aun'shi?

I think it is too dark. Change the color of the ground.

Welcome to Commorragh!

Yeah, I was going with movie marines. Even without fluff, a lone firewarrior locked in an arena with a terminator won't end well for the xenos.

Well if the terminator is sporting some melee gear and since they are slow( at least in the table top if I remember) then all the fire warrior needs to do is keep his distance.

Top Bottom