• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warner announces Red2Blu service - HD-DVD -> Blu-ray (duh)

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=2604

Warner Announces Red2Blu Program

Posted April 22, 2009 08:34 AM by Josh Dreuth

Warner Bros. Warner Home Video through their WBShop.com website has announced that they will now allow HD DVD owners to exchange their old Warner HD DVDs for the Blu-ray version. This may be the last chance for owners of the now defunct high definition format to salvage some worth from their film libraries before sacrificing the discs to the dumpster gods.

The process is simple:

1. Click here and select the HD DVD titles you want to exchange for Blu-rays.
* Limit one exchange per title
* Upgrade fee of $4.95 per title
* Shipping fee of $6.95 per order ($8.95 per order for Hawaii, Alaska, and Puerto Rico)
2. Mail the original cover-art to Warner's processing center
3. Receive new discs in 4-5 weeks

Its great to see that Warner is admitting some responsibility for their previous decisions (beyond management reconstruction). I will be eager to see if Paramount and Universal will also follow suit with similar exchange programs of their own.

Wow, excellent move.

madara

/shakes fists!
I gave away about ten hdvds, alot on that list, I figured if they were going do this it would have happened ages ago. Plus I could have swore that the Smallville I had was S5 and that is not on the list...

madara said:
/shakes fists!
I gave away about ten hdvds, alot on that list, I figured if they were going do this it would have happened ages ago. Plus I could have swore that the Smallville I had was S5 and that is not on the list...
:lol

That's bad dude

Burai

shitonmychest57
Congratulations to everyone who bought up extra players as backups so that you'd have something to play your collection on if your deck broke.

You guys are the kings of great decision making.

This is pretty awesome of them actually. Too bad I've already re-bought a few on that list. Planet Earth included. I think ultimate matrix too. Damn I'm dumb.

jamesinclair said:
Hmmm....

Purchase HD-DVD at bargain bin for $3. Pay $5 upgrade fee. Get Blue Ray for $8?

Annnnd there goes this idea. Website will probably be closed by the end of the week.

Cheech

Burai said:
Congratulations to everyone who bought up extra players as backups so that you'd have something to play your collection on if your deck broke.

You guys are the kings of great decision making.

Thanks for the brilliant contribution. I'm sure your mother is proud.

I'm glad to see Warner step up. I wish Universal would do the same, so I can get my copy of "The Thing" turned into a Blu Ray. I keep my 360's HD-DVD drive hooked up pretty much just to watch that and The Matrix.

Too bad I don't have my HD-DVD collection written down somewhere. I went to the site, and honestly couldn't remember which format I have some of that stuff in. Goodfellas, in particular, I have no idea about. Same for the Supermans.

sscrew

Hopefully they eventually offer the same deal in Australia. Although i've gotten titles from several different countries. Not sure if they would only allow upgrades on local titles.

Best part is that you only need to send in the cover. You can just print out another and keep the HD-DVD copy :D .

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
That's pretty damn sweet, I kinda want to do it even though I don't have a BluRay player yet.

VAIL

It's good to see that Blu-ray "won" the lame ass digs are still coming, nice move by Warner though.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I did this already.

A lot of those movies listed I got for free and never opened. It's cool tho. Cause at the end you still get to keep the hd-dvd disc.

FUCK, I sold my tiny collection already except for Shaun of the Dead and The Big Liebowski, which AREN'T ON THE FUCKING LIST (no BD exists).

mrmyth said:
Where are you finding HD-DVDs for purchase?

I know Kroger has a bunch for $4.99.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
kick

ass

edit - HARRY POTTER SET IS IN THERE FOR $15???? AWWW HELL NAW!!!!

filling it out now. goodbye non-24p Harry Potters (only 360 player here)

Jasoco

Banned
Half of my HD-DVD's (3) aren't even on Blu-Ray yet. I can't get my Willy Wonka on Blu-Ray. I said Willy Wonka. NOT Charlie. The old one. The good one. It looks amazing.

In fact, NONE of my movies are on that list!

Fuck!

Xabora

Darko said:
cost of hd-dvd + $11.90
I feel ya, I only have 1 HD-DVD and that was from someone else when I was planning on buying an HD-DVD player.

Then there is the 4-5 week wait.

Westonian

Jasoco said:
Half of my HD-DVD's (3) aren't even on Blu-Ray yet. I can't get my Willy Wonka on Blu-Ray. I said Willy Wonka. NOT Charlie. The old one. The good one. It looks amazing.

In fact, NONE of my movies are on that list!

Fuck!

There are four Warner HD DVDs that have not yet been released on Blu-ray:

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Grand Prix
Forbidden Planet
Willy Wonky and the Chocolate Factory

So either you only have four HD DVDs or you didn't notice that this is Warner Bros allowing you to exchange Warner Bros HD DVDs for Warner Bros Blu-ray versions.

jobber said:
I did this already.

A lot of those movies listed I got for free and never opened. It's cool tho. Cause at the end you still get to keep the hd-dvd disc.

Did you get the complete blu-ray, or just the disc?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Westonian said:
Warner. Brothers.

They do not yet make a Bru Ray laservisions disc version of Dune in the united states. Thus I am stuck with red.

Not like it's going to magically stop working tho.

Westonian

OuterWorldVoice said:
They do not yet make a Bru Ray laservisions disc version of Dune in the united states. Thus I am stuck with red.

Not like it's going to magically stop working tho.

My point was that Dune is a Universal Studios release, so of course Warner Bros. isn't going to offer to exchange it for a BRD version that they can't make. Same with people complaining that the Bourne movies aren't on the red2blu website. This is a Warner site for exchanging Warner movies.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
ALeperMessiah said:
Did you get the complete blu-ray, or just the disc?

the complete thing. case wrapped up in plastic. Now you can say you double dipped. Sure you lose to hd-dvd cover but you can always copy the cover before you send it in.

So I bought Planet Earth hd-dvd last year for like $20 and never opened it. So it's like I'm getting the blu-ray for $15 + shipping. Ballin.

maharg

idspispopd
dorkimoe said:
awesome..to bad i apparently don't own 1 warner movie on hd

Half of my HD-DVDs are Warner. I was quite surprised. One of them is The Perfect Storm, though, which I don't give a shit about.

gkryhewy

WOW, I can get a completely new bluray set of Harry Potter 1-5 by just sending the *case* of Sorcerer's Stone from my HD DVD set.

I have a dual-format player, but this is worth it for ebay alone :lol

gkryhewy

bdizzle said:
i did it today. replace ~12 hd dvds including matrix. takes 5 weeks to come tho :(

Did I hear right that you can send just the art from Matrix Revolutions and receive the entire Ultimate Collection on BR?

NR1

gkrykewy said:
Did I hear right that you can send just the art from Matrix Revolutions and receive the entire Ultimate Collection on BR?

I do not think this is correct...

The website says it wants that paper slip that was glued to the box; however, I'm hearing from others that that Warner Bros. is allowing people to send in the cover art for ALL 3 movies in place of it. That is what I am doing, plus the cover art for the bonus disc just to be safe. No reason to hold onto that cover art when I'm shipping off the other three anyway, right?

Cheech

NR1 said:
I do not think this is correct...

The website says it wants that paper slip that was glued to the box; however, I'm hearing from others that that Warner Bros. is allowing people to send in the cover art for ALL 3 movies in place of it. That is what I am doing, plus the cover art for the bonus disc just to be safe. No reason to hold onto that cover art when I'm shipping off the other three anyway, right?

No, the instructions specify that you only need to send in the cover of Revolutions when you're checking out with "Ultimate Matrix" in your cart.

It worked out well for me, because I'd only bought the "regular" trilogy, not Ultimate.

So, counting the "Ultimate" as one, I had a total of 8 flicks to change out. Not bad. I wish Universal would follow suit, because for some odd reason my collection was almost dead nuts 50/50 between the two studios. I have one oddball Paramount.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Westonian said:
My point was that Dune is a Universal Studios release, so of course Warner Bros. isn't going to offer to exchange it for a BRD version that they can't make. Same with people complaining that the Bourne movies aren't on the red2blu website. This is a Warner site for exchanging Warner movies.

My original post was me seething that my HD DVD did not have a WB logo anywhere on it.

My HDDVDs are 16 Universal, 1 Paramount and 1 Weinstein.

I used to have Batman Begins, Casablanca and V For Vendetta but I sold those when I knew they were coming to BD.

DO THIS UNIVERSAL!!!

Troidal

Wow, thats actually an awesome move.

Now if only companies can do the same with DVD -> Bluray for the right fee, then I will forever be grateful for all the movie companies :bows

gkrykewy said:

I called customer service yesterday and was told to send in all the cover art, including the bonus dvd.

Jasoco

Banned
Westonian said:
There are four Warner HD DVDs that have not yet been released on Blu-ray:

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Grand Prix
Forbidden Planet
Willy Wonky and the Chocolate Factory

So either you only have four HD DVDs or you didn't notice that this is Warner Bros allowing you to exchange Warner Bros HD DVDs for Warner Bros Blu-ray versions.
It's the second one.

Well, good to know Willy Wonka will be out. But will the deal still be going on?

And actually I have three Warner movies.

The other two are Superman Returns and Superman II Richard Donner version.

NR1

Anyone here get there movies in yet?

My credit card was charged yesterday (May 15) and according to the UPS website, my package is scheduled for delivery on May 20. I placed my order online on the first day of the sale (April 22) and sent my discs off the following Friday (April 24). Almost exactly a 1 month turnaround.

I still have not received an email from them saying they have shipped my titles, but that appears to be the case for everyone that has taken part in this deal.

My titles include: The Matrix Collection, Harry Potters 1-5 (non-gift set- all individual discs), Blazing Saddles, and Constantine.

Phoenix

mrmyth said:
Where are you finding HD-DVDs for purchase?

You can find them at many ToysRUs, EBGames, or Gamestop stores. You might catch them at the occasional grocer or Target bargain bin as well.

NR1 said:
Anyone here get there movies in yet?

My credit card was charged yesterday (May 15) and according to the UPS website, my package is scheduled for delivery on May 20. I placed my order online on the first day of the sale (April 22) and sent my discs off the following Friday (April 24). Almost exactly a 1 month turnaround.

I still have not received an email from them saying they have shipped my titles, but that appears to be the case for everyone that has taken part in this deal.

My titles include: The Matrix Collection, Harry Potters 1-5 (non-gift set- all individual discs), Blazing Saddles, and Constantine.

I got my movies yesterday and waited at least a week before I sent it. I sent it around April 30th, so not bad turn around for coming by the 15th. Only about two weeks. I had Matrix Collection, V for Vendetta, Polar Express, Batman Begins, The Perfect Storm, March of the Penguins, Unforgviven, and The Last Samurai.

NR1

Marty Chinn said:
I got my movies yesterday and waited at least a week before I sent it. I sent it around April 30th, so not bad turn around for coming by the 15th. Only about two weeks.

Where are you located? I know these ship out from Lansing, Michigan. I'm right outside of Dallas, Texas.

I have noticed that their order fulfillment process has been very inconsistent. People that placed their orders early are getting them later than those that placed them later. Very unusual. Oh well... just as long as I get them! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom