• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wayward Souls (iOS) |OT| Pixels, magic, and randomized death

dream

You guys weren't kidding about how punishing this game is. Despite that, it's still one of the better blog posts I've played in a while.

LuchaShaq

Banned
How do you unlock the other characters? I've found the Warrior/Rogue abilities basically useless, and don't like playing ranged.

I don't get all the praise for the controls. I'd LOVE to play this game with real sticks/buttons .

Fusebox

Banned
These are the same guys who made Mage Gauntlet which imo set a new benchmark for virtual iOS controls. Looking forward to trying this out.

Shearie

The more I play this game the more I love it.

I also like how easily avoidable the story is since I can care less.

One simple way to make the game less tedious and faster moving is to stop destroying every single breakable you see. Basically, let go of your OCD if you have it and only go for blinking breakables and whatever is right in front of you.

Anyone know if there is a hard mode after you beat all 3 areas with a single character?

Also, everybody should change their hat color to match your armor. It's the right thing to do, at least so far...

Shearie

According to the Rocketcat Games dev in the TouchArcade forums, the first update with the 4th area will probably be submitted to Apple this Monday. Way sooner than I expected.

No iCloud support :( I wish apple would add a "Supports iCloud" badge to the app store ala game centre.

So, what are people playing on, iPad or iPhone? I hear it controls better on the iPhone?

Shearie

No iCloud support :( I wish apple would add a "Supports iCloud" badge to the app store ala game centre.

So, what are people playing on, iPad or iPhone? I hear it controls better on the iPhone?

I MUCH prefer playing this on my iPad Mini, but I can pretty much say that about almost any game.

Didn't even realise Rocketcat made a new game. I enjoyed Mage Gauntlet (and their other things) and this looks like it so I bought it last night. From what I've played it's actually really fun. I like the warrior the most probably because it's the most simple class and he has a longish sword range. I suck with the mage and can barely make it 2/3 levels in the first area. Rogue is cool, dashing is fun but her range is weak so it requires more precision to hit enemies. And I unlocked the adventurer and he's pretty fun too, he plays sort of like the warrior minus the shield and shorter range.
It's also refreshing to see an iOS game without IAPs that's a plus too.
I'm playing it on my iPhone with the digital analogue controls. I'm not having any problems with the smaller screen. I wanted to try it out on my iPad but the data doesn't transfer so I was discouraged because I didn't want to have two separate save files...

Alex

Same control style as Mage Gauntlet? I've heard some pretty glowing praise from this game from a few friends.

JJD

Same control style as Mage Gauntlet? I've heard some pretty glowing praise from this game from a few friends.

The game is good, but the controls suck IMO.

That said I'm not really used to playing with touch controls. People who are used to it probably will play this way better than me.

I feel like more than half the times I'm hit it's because of the controls and not because of me. Lost count on how many times I got hit after that running charge attack because my character would just stand still no matter were I tried to go.

Conezays

So what's the verdict, GAF? I managed to get a free iPad2 off my mum as she got a new iPad, haha.

Huge Dark Souls fan. Happy to hear any other iPad game recommendations as well.

Jarsonot

Game's incredible. Controls work extremely well. Responsive, and very easy to make your character do what you want him/her to do.

It has a nice look, varied environments and enemies, and great music to boot.

It is difficult in the way Dark Souls is difficult. Once you figure out the pacing of combat and get to know the behavior of the enemies you'll do better. Get hit less, make it farther, see more story...

...which is pretty good so far, with each character having a unique reason for being in the tower, which you learn more of as you make it further in. Randomly you'll come across ghosts talking, and get more insight into what's going on. Really well done.

And each character (so far) legitimately plays differently. Warrior is up-close, with a shield to take hits. Mage is ranged attacker, powerful, low health. Rogue is super awesome fast dagger wielder, who's best strats are to stun and/or get behind enemies. More characters are unlocked as you progress through the tower, and there's absolutely no IAP.

My favorite mobile game right now.

Boney

Banned
Cleared the mines with my warrior, great game so far.

Made it 5 floors into the tower but then :(
Yep, managed to beat the mines with the Warrior as well, was weird that equipment doesn't carry over to tower. And you still get the same upgrades for your equipment, not a better tier for the tower. Also, what do hats do, just cosmetic?

Game is pretty fun, but it's weird how it's impossible to actually get better equipment outside that one run, unlike most rouge likes which reset your level but allow you to keep some equipment. I suppose the upgrades are like that and the game is more skill based.

Kosma

Banned
Yeah its kind of weird, there seems to be no reason to try to do a full run.

Wondering the same thing about hats, tried googling it but no luck.

Don't like the fact I cant take another char straight to next level btw.

Boney

Banned
Yeah its kind of weird, there seems to be no reason to try to do a full run.

Wondering the same thing about hats, tried googling it but no luck.

Don't like the fact I cant take another char straight to next level btw.
I don't mind you can't take the other characters, because you're gonna get your ass handed if you can't handle the mines with 'em

And look at that, beat it with adventurer lol

Noogy

Mage Gauntlet is easily in my top three iOS games, and I own a lot. I'm really enjoying Wayward Souls, although I admit I would have liked a continuation of Lexi's story (although I haven't seen everything yet).

I don't get all the praise for the controls. I'd LOVE to play this game with real sticks/buttons .

They are REALLY great for an iOS game. But yeah, would be much better with a proper pad. Pretty much every death I have had in Mage Gauntlet/Wayward Souls was due to an unresponsive input.

Daouzin

Last few games I tried playing on iPad and iPhone I just couldn't get into without a controller/physical buttons. Hope this gets a Vita/3DS release. If the hype sticks around for another few weeks I'll probably just get it.

Yeah ill definitely double dip a vita version if it comes. It could definitely benefit to have physical controls.

Made it to 5th floor with Rogue on my first run. I really like how enemy projectiles can generally hurt other enemies.

Really is a missed opportunity for a Souls series mention in the OT

Wayward Souls |OT| The Dark Souls of iOS

hoping for a quick answer:

if I buy this for iphone, will it look like crap on my ipad, aka will it be the iphone version in a tiny window on my ipad?

Yeah ill definitely double dip a vita version if it comes. It could definitely benefit to have physical controls.

Made it to 5th floor with Rogue on my first run. I really like how enemy projectiles can generally hurt other enemies.

Really is a missed opportunity for a Souls series mention in the OT

Wayward Souls |OT| The Dark Souls of iOS
Yeah, I originally was going to have a Dark Souls-related title but I wasn't sure how the three was going to turn out so I played it safe
I wanted to title it "IOS finally has its Dark Souls" but I feared that, knowing how some GAFfers can be, the thread would attract comments on how IOS games suck and can't possibly be anything like Dark Souls

And originally the game's title was Wayward Saga. You can probably guess why the devs changed it
I'll probably message a mod later, change it to my original title

Jarsonot

Made it through first area with 5 characters, only made it through 2nd area with 1 so far (warrior).

My wife's addicted, too. =)

I'm having trouble handling the Rogue's dash on an iPad. Is it true that swipe-based attacks are somewhat buggy on the iPad? Has it been patched yet?

BlackWaltz

lotta black folks here
I'm having trouble handling the Rogue's dash on an iPad. Is it true that swipe-based attacks are somewhat buggy on the iPad? Has it been patched yet?

From what I've read the swipes are not necessarily bugged on iPads, just tuned differently, in that they require more of a quick flick. It's really annoying playing on my mini and not being able to get moves to come out when I absolutely need them, especially since I have no problem playing on my touch. AFAIK Kepa is looking into either changing it or offering options in the upcoming update.

So one rogue upgrade is to have dash inflict confusion, but that seems to do nothing at all. What if confusion, how do I tell if an enemy is confused?

man does it suck having not played a few days, can't even make it to the boss in the first area anymore :(

do yall go with the flow, or try to 100% a map before preceeding? The RNG sure gives me some annoying floors :/

Jarsonot

So one rogue upgrade is to have dash inflict confusion, but that seems to do nothing at all. What if confusion, how do I tell if an enemy is confused?

I was wondering the same thing. I don't see enemies being noticeably confused. I put a few points in it to see if it would be noticeable with a longer duration but nope.

So either it isn't working, or it just doesn't have visible (or otherwise) feedback that it's working.

I'm leaning towards the former, as enemies don't seem to behave differently.

"do yall go with the flow, or try to 100% a map before preceeding? The RNG sure gives me some annoying floors :/"

I've been trying to clear each section with each character before I move on. I've got the first section done with all but the cultist (whom I haven't unlocked yet) and am working on the second section with the rogue right now.

One of the things I really like is how different the characters are.

The iOS version is fantastic. I'd love to try a PC version at some point, but for now this is absolutely great. Can't wait too unlock the cultist...

Boney

Banned
The difficulty spike in the third area is insane.

Gotten all 5 guys to the second area though. The mines get easy once you get used to the game, especially the boss.

man does it suck having not played a few days, can't even make it to the boss in the first area anymore :(

do yall go with the flow, or try to 100% a map before preceeding? The RNG sure gives me some annoying floors :/
I try to look for the forge and most of the times they are found on even floors or every 2 floors, so unless I have hp to spare I'll try taking the stairs.

heringer

Yeah, third area is crazy even as Warrior. Can't imagine how it will be with Mage or rogue.

Game is sweet though. So much better than Mage Gauntlet.

Top Bottom