• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wayward Souls (iOS) |OT| Pixels, magic, and randomized death

heringer

Got to the 8th floor of the third dungeon with Warrior. So short of reaching the final boss. :(

This game is so good. Awesome replay value with each run being different. You never know exactly what they are going to throw at you. Not to mention each character feels really different.

Finding hats is also very satisfying. Though most of them look terribad. I got a couple of cool ones though, one makes the Mage look like Vivi.

I wish they would divide the 4th dungeon (which will have 20 floors) into two dungeons with two new bosses, but eh.

Man, took me a lot of tries to beat the 2nd dungeon with the warrior. Still super fun, though. I need to be careful not to get burned out, I want to play it so much.

Is the new dungeon going to be even harder than the 3rd dungeon? Is all the new content going to be even harder than the 3rd dungeon? Because damn, I know this game is supposed to be hard, but it would be nice if some of the new content weren't so absurdly difficult that only a tiny fraction of players have a hope of ever beating it.

bought this and want to love it but controls are horrid. my swipes on right side of screen dont register accurately. my character even started walking into a group of zombies when i was simply trying to cut them.

Supposedly an adjustment to the right-side swiping on the iPad is still incoming. Are you playing on an iPad?

heringer

Man, took me a lot of tries to beat the 2nd dungeon with the warrior. Still super fun, though. I need to be careful not to get burned out, I want to play it so much.

Is the new dungeon going to be even harder than the 3rd dungeon? Is all the new content going to be even harder than the 3rd dungeon? Because damn, I know this game is supposed to be hard, but it would be nice if some of the new content weren't so absurdly difficult that only a tiny fraction of players have a hope of ever beating it.

I hope it's not much harder. I can see myself beating the 3rd dungeon with the warrior and maybe Spellsword, but the rest... maybe adventurer too if I'm lucky enough to find a shield upgrade early on, otherwise he is defenseless against the enemies on that dungeon.

I was doing so fucking well in the second dungeon, then got a sword upgrade that made the power attack stationary but allowed it to deflect magical projectiles. What the game didn't say is that "upgrade" robbed it of the ability to break shields on a power attack. Nearly every fucking enemy in that dungeon have shields.

I was doing so fucking well in the second dungeon, then got a sword upgrade that made the power attack stationary but allowed it to deflect magical projectiles. What the game didn't say is that "upgrade" robbed it of the ability to break shields on a power attack. Nearly every fucking enemy in that dungeon have shields.

Yeah, the warrior's sword upgrades are all terrible. Dunno what's up with that.

Saw this on the app store. Looks neat, but I'm concerned about how well it would control on an iPhone (5) vs. an iPad. Especially before dropping $5 on it. Opinions?

Saw this on the app store. Looks neat, but I'm concerned about how well it would control on an iPhone (5) vs. an iPad. Especially before dropping $5 on it. Opinions?

it controllers better on iphone atm because there is some swipe sensitivity issue on ipad.

woo finally beat first dungeon!

adventurer seems like just a weaker warrior o_O

does he get good upgrades/forge stuff that differentiates him?

heringer

it controllers better on iphone atm because there is some swipe sensitivity issue on ipad.

woo finally beat first dungeon!

adventurer seems like just a weaker warrior o_O

does he get good upgrades/forge stuff that differentiates him?

If you get the shield upgrade (it turns your lantern in a shield) he is basically a faster, with higher DPS warrior, which is not too shabby.

Without the shield he is still decent, but with poor defense against some enemies in the third floor. He has decent HP and can recover a lot from floor to floor if you upgrade.

I'll never understand how people not only tolerate touch controls in an action game let alone enjoy them.

It feels like everytime i get hit, i tell myself that i couldve avoided it if i had more control of my character.

Ennoia

Banned
Is there anyone successfully beat the tutorial boss so far, any secrets or video captured can be shared?

God this game is so deep, I just can't find a right poise to hold iPad while playing this game, now looking forward to buy both PC and Vita versions in the future.

Clunker

Just as a note, in case anyone hasn't seen it: The OST is available from Bandcamp for a measly $3. I picked it up because I love the music so much, but you can also stream from here. Perfect background music to work to.

I haven't put as much time into Wayward Souls as I'd have liked to, but I am completely in love with this. I always meant to pick up Mage Gauntlet since I heard such good things about it, but I am totally in love with this control scheme (playing on an iPhone 4S); outside of a little learning curve, and maybe a slight fiddle with the left side of controls here and there, it's nigh perfect as far as navigating virtual controls. Such a better solution than a virtual D-pad or analog stick, even one free-floating.

So far I've only just beaten the Mines with the warrior and adventurer, but it's such a compelling package that I'm happy to savor every moment with it instead of playing it incessantly. Mostly I just wanted to point people to the OST since it's so beautiful. :p

Game is fantastic! But, like others have mentioned, the controls are definitely off. I've tried both options and neither feel right. And I hate free-floating virtual sticks. Just let me lock it into place! I've played other iOS games with awesome virtual sticks so I don't know what happened here. This game actually pushed me over the edge to finally buy a MFI controller. So, I'm definitely looking forward to the update later this month.

Still enjoying the game, but man, it gets hard.

Finally beat the 2nd level with the Warrior last night. It was pretty close too, I was on my last sliver of health when the boss went down.

I think the Warrior is my favorite character, or at least the easiest for me to use. Both of his subweapons are useful, he has great reach and ok speed, he's strong on attack and has plenty of health. It's too bad all of his sword upgrades suck. The short sword borks his reach, the axe is too slow, the glass one makes it really hard to kill shield guys. The spin attack one is ok I guess. The shield upgrades that give him a lightweight shield are the best. You can walk around with the shield out all the time.

The Mage was my early favorite, but I find her slightly harder to play than the Warrior, partly because she's much more prone to the "aiming in the wrong direction" problem I mentioned a few times above. I like her ranged attack, I like her attack subweapon, and I like most of her upgrades (except the "salamander" one that makes her range terrible). It can be difficult to manage the energy drain even with energy recovery maxed, though. Between that and the aiming thing, I prefer the Warrior.

The Rogue is so damn hard to use. She's fun to play, but her attacks are so weak and she dies so fast that it can be a little frustrating. Also her "dash = confusion" upgrade doesn't seem to actually do anything. I do like her dash ability though, makes for much different gameplay from the other two starting heroes. Also, her weapon and armor upgrades are all pretty solid.

The Adventurer isn't bad, but feels a bit like a poor man's Warrior. He has similar strength and slightly more speed, but the shorter reach with his weapon and the lack of a shield hurt him. I still haven't really gotten the hang of using the lantern, maybe I'd like him better if I had more of a feel for that. His amulet feels like a slightly different version of the throwing axe from the Warrior. Really he's just Warrior-lite all around. I do like the bonuses to health when changing floors, though.

The Spellsword I haven't played a ton with yet, but I like him a lot so far. He feels to me like a mix between the Rogue and the Warrior, with some of the better aspects of each. He has the speed and dodging abilities of the Rogue, but the strength and some of the durability of the Warrior. Plus he gets to use all those nifty scrolls. His reach isn't very good, but his speed makes up for it. Early returns on him are positive. :p

Curious what the Cultist will be like. Maybe a mix between the Mage and the Rogue? Guess we'll see.

I actually like the warriors axe upgrade. Agreed with everything else. Spells word is great fun. Catacombs are too tough for me right now to even try and get cultist.

So, how long are these levels exactly? Is it completely random? The first time I died in the mines I did so on the seventh floor, while, later on, when I reached the boss, he appeared on the fifth floor already. Now I'm off to the tower, died on floor 4, not too bad I guess.

Also, is it me or is the warrior the only really viable class? The mage is cute but has way too little health, while the rogue deals no damage with his (her?) lame tiny dagger.

I'm enjoying the game so far, it looks better than I expected and the controls are about as good as they could be on a touch screen, I just wish there was more to it in terms of exploring, secrets, loot, upgrades (it kind of sucks that weapon upgrades don't carry on after death).

So, how long are these levels exactly? Is it completely random? The first time I died in the mines I did so on the seventh floor, while, later on, when I reached the boss, he appeared on the fifth floor already. Now I'm off to the tower, died on floor 4, not too bad I guess.

Also, is it me or is the warrior the only really viable class? The mage is cute but has way too little health, while the rogue deals no damage with his (her?) lame tiny dagger.

I'm enjoying the game so far, it looks better than I expected and the controls are about as good as they could be on a touch screen, I just wish there was more to it in terms of exploring, secrets, loot, upgrades (it kind of sucks that weapon upgrades don't carry on after death).

First dungeon is 5 floors I believe. Second dungeon is 7.

And the Warrior is probably the strongest class. Though I personally think the Spellsword rivals, if not exceeds the Warrior. Most of the scrolls are kind of worthless, but the Spellsword gets buffs to time altering magic like the hourglass and gold powder powerup, which are really really good.

The Adventurer seems ok. I think his strength mostly lies in his upgrades being so useful and versatile. If you get lucky enough you can make him a better version of the Warrior. But yeah, I think it makes more sense to just play Warrior.

The Rogue could be viable if the developers ever bother to fix her "dashing through enemies causes confusion" thing. Right now it doesn't appear to work, and it makes setting up backstabs really frustrating.

Mage suffers from lack of diagonal attacking. A problem that all the classes technically have, but the arcs created by the daggers/sword slashes helps to alleviate the problem a bit.

kyubajin

Got the game, got the OST. Played for like 2 hours straight, Warrior is the way for me, guess I just love melee.

.hacked

Got game will wait to play until mfi is added in. Want to use my gamepad can't go back to lame touch controls

Got game will wait to play until mfi is added in. Want to use my gamepad can't go back to lame touch controls

I've been waiting for mfi as well. We may be waiting for a while though... On the Facebook page, the dev said it will be added in update 2, and we haven't got update 1 yet...

aw yes. first update is out.

changelogs.

- New Dungeon: The Labyrinth. 20 floors of pain, and the conclusion of the stories of the current six characters.
- New boss for The Labyrinth.
- Fixes for the zoom-in bug for iPad 1 and iOS 5.1.1.
- Control tweaks for iPad devices, you can set movement and swipe sensitivity separately.
- Health potions are no longer awful.
- Automatic screen flipping.
- Map now also shows your floor number.
- Try to charge up a power attack when low on energy will no longer prevent you from moving.
- You no longer get an energy regeneration bonus for charging up a power attack.
- Hats stay on your head instead of unequipping.
- Match Hat Color moved to the hatbox menu instead of options.
- A bunch of new hats.
- REPEAT STORY: ON/OFF toggle in options menu.
- Gauranteed rare chest after each boss.
- Chests can now be destroyed after being opened, to prevent weird situations where you could get stuck.
- Some fixes to level generation in the first three dungeons.
- Increased gold drop rate in the third and fourth dungeons.
- Rare chests now drop normal hats if you run out of rare hats to find.
- Guard Captains should no longer attack you immediately when they take damage.
- Flame traps should be a bit more forgiving now.
- Tapping during the retry/victory epitaphs now skips the text much faster.
- Reflection damage buffed to triple of what it was.
- Super Secret Area, will YOU survive its enigmatic horrors?
- Various other minor tweaks and fixes.
- Lots of character balance changes, with more coming in Update 2:

WARRIOR
- Starter shield and Thorned shield have 6 charges maximum now, instead of 9.
- Mirror shield and Obsidian shield have 8 charges.
- Mirror shield now reflects magic for both levels. Level II is now lighter.
- Obsidian shield now applies an 8 second slow effect to attackers, 12 seconds at level II.
- Stonebeard shield has 11 charges maximum now.
- Starter sword takes slightly more energy for its power attack.
- All forge weapon upgrades now take less energy for their power attacks.
- Stained Glass Sword takes much less energy.
- Stained Glass Sword II now has a longer power attack range.
- Fixes for Bane of Bones and Stained Glass Sword not breaking Guard shields.
- Health potion upgrade and gift replaced with an upgrade that makes you do up to 5 points extra damage on your next hit, if hurt by an enemy.

ROGUE
- Dagger attacks now do +2 damage. This means front-attacks do about 40% more damage. Backstabs around 10% more.
- Tormentors and the Gutter damage also increased by +2.
- The energy cost of all forge kicking upgrades were reduced significantly, to be the same cost as the basic kick.
- Other adjustments to the different kicks, such as the Whirlwind Kick doing more damage now and the Tormentors having a little less range due to the lowered energy cost.
- Toadskin Cowters now poisons enemies that hit you 100% of the time. Level II does a more damaging poison.
- Nullguards now protect against one more magical hit than they used to.
- More Rogue changes will come in Update 2, including a revamp of Fake Out.

MAGE
- Mage basic power attack now does the same damage as the normal attack, instead of a little less. Energy cost went up slightly to compensate.
- Energy costs of all forge staff upgrade power attacks went down.
- Earth Staff now also has a bonus where its normal attacks have increased range. Power attack range was also buffed slightly.
- Ice Staff revamped to travel the same distance as basic staff, and its power attack is now a lower energy but lower damage piercing shot that also slows briefly.
- Fire Staff had a bug where the II version didn't get increased range. This was fixed.
- The Push style abilities (basic robe, blazeweave, typhoon mantle) were all buffed. Larger size, greater duration.
- Mage now gets a +MaxHealth upgrade. The previous "get energy back on using an ability" upgrades got merged into a single upgrade.
- Fix for a bug about using power attacks near walls.
- Walwin's Frock II decoy lasts for a shorter duration.
- Footstomp has 6 charges max instead of 9.

ADVENTURER
- All amulet magic attacks now have 9 ammo instead of 6.
- Adventurer stuns now do a little bit of damage, about 30% of a shortsword attack.
- Sunlight Rosary pierces 2 enemies now instead of 3, but has a more forgiving attack hitbox.
- Tears of the Ice Queen poison damage was increased by 60%.
- Blast Marble hitbox width was slightly increased.
- Red Death triggers slightly more often, and level II hurts your health regeneration less.
- Lantern damage increased a little bit.
- Forge sword upgrades generally take less energy for their power attacks. For example, Flicker II can quickly charge twice.
- Orvar's Buckler now has 6 charges maximum, instead of 9.
- More tweaking to lanterns planned for Update 2.

SPELLSWORD
- Mist Vambraces duration decreased slightly.
- Phaseblade power attack's explosion lasts for a slightly shorter duration.

CULTIST
- Dagger attacks now do +2 damage. Same as the Rogue.
- Athame of Coiled Flame now has a longer attack range, like Warrior's Stained Glass Sword II does.

------------------------

Second update plans:

- MFI Controller support
- Further character tweaks, especially to Rogue
- New Cheevos (achievements for the layman)
- At least two new dungeon modes, including Endless
- Saint Statue revamp, including a bugfix to make them actually appear on random floors.
- Boss healthbars
- Looking into some sort of save syncing, not necessarily iCloud
- Other stuff we didn't get to do in the first update

The update was pretty good. Warrior upgrades are good now instead of total shit. Rogue feels better but I still don't notice confusion effects.health potions also aren't complete shit now.

neoism

Just as a note, in case anyone hasn't seen it: The OST is available from Bandcamp for a measly $3. I picked it up because I love the music so much, but you can also stream from here. Perfect background music to work to.

I haven't put as much time into Wayward Souls as I'd have liked to, but I am completely in love with this. I always meant to pick up Mage Gauntlet since I heard such good things about it, but I am totally in love with this control scheme (playing on an iPhone 4S); outside of a little learning curve, and maybe a slight fiddle with the left side of controls here and there, it's nigh perfect as far as navigating virtual controls. Such a better solution than a virtual D-pad or analog stick, even one free-floating.

So far I've only just beaten the Mines with the warrior and adventurer, but it's such a compelling package that I'm happy to savor every moment with it instead of playing it incessantly. Mostly I just wanted to point people to the OST since it's so beautiful. :p

I found out about this game and really wanta buy it but was wondering can I buy the ost anyway else :/ fucking card will not work on bandcamp for some reason also does this game use the full 5th gen screen?

lol nm ost get <3 is fucking amazing... still thinking about the game I just hate games that have the black bars on either side :/

neoism

I found out about this game and really wanta buy it but was wondering can I buy the ost anyway else :/ fucking card will not work on bandcamp for some reason also does this game use the full 5th gen screen?

lol nm ost get <3 is fucking amazing... still thinking about the game I just hate games that have the black bars on either side :/

well this game is amazing I cant wait for the PC version and to play it with a controller...

The OST is a fucking masterpiece and really is too good for this game... one of the best ost's I've ever heard... bes $3 I've spent in a lonnnng time <3

Spruchy

This game is so good, playing strictly on the iPad and I recommend it wholeheartedly.

One of the few games that gets "hardcore" done right on the mobile platform.

jaosobno

Bought this game this morning, before going to work and I was blown away. Such an amazing title!

Managed to finish tutorial and started on level 1-1. I'm loving the sprites, atmosphere, music, gameplay, everything!

Such a great iOS title! I'm surprised (and bummed) that this thread has such a low post count :'(

Catacombs are kicking my butt. Kind of wish there was an easy mode. Hate games where I don't get to keep the upgrades. I'd rather lose the money.

Or atleast let us continue our progress with a new character.

Shearie

Getting my ass kicked pretty high up the Keep. Mines were easy though.

Rogue is the best though.

I'm waiting until update 2 to play as her since she'll be getting some buffs.

Beat Catacombs with the Warrior a few days ago and one shotted the boss. I lucked out and had 2 of those potions that null magic projectiles and beat him by the skin of my ass.

Really liking the 4th dungeon right now.

hitsugi

The game just hit Android - this was a painful wait for me. Hoping it's worth all the hype I've got built up

Quick first impression - the game is unplayable for me on a Nexus 5. It crashes during half of all launch attempts (where it attempts to connect to my G+ account), and the other times it crashes within a minute or so of actual gameplay. I've gotten to do just about nothing with it and I'm already frustrated - mostly due to the fact that it reminds me of other iOS -> Android ports that had glaring issues... and I guess spending $5 on something I can't actually play is a little jarring, too.

Wired

Picked it up on Android yesterday, been waiting a while. Works without a problem on my Xperia Z2 at least. Liking it so far although I'm not completely happy with the controls.

omg_mjd

Just bought the Android version and I really like it. The controls feel good to me but I am on a 6" device so that might be a factor, plus I play a lot of emulators with touch controls so maybe I'm just used to it. Also, the game has been stable so far--got through the tutorial level without a crash.

Shearie

Playing on an iPad Mini, the controls feel damn near perfect if you put the walking sensitivity to low and leave swipe sensitivity on high.

Before the update, movement was a little too fiddly and swiping sometimes wouldn't register. Now I don't have that problem anymore.

Wired

Aw shit, I'm running into an bug on the Android version. The game keeps crashing, consistently, on floor 3 in the Amaranth Keep. Not right when you enter the floor, but after running around for a while and I'm about to enter a new room. Is there a cut-scene or something on this floor that might be an issue?

Flunkie

Banned
There was a new update yesterday btw. (iOS atleast)

Endless mode + MFI controller support + other stuff

I need to pick up a MFI controller. Jailbroken with DS3 support is cool, but I don't want to have to rely on a jailbreak to enjoy some games. Sigh.

Playing on an iPad Mini, the controls feel damn near perfect if you put the walking sensitivity to low and leave swipe sensitivity on high.

Before the update, movement was a little too fiddly and swiping sometimes wouldn't register. Now I don't have that problem anymore.

It did fit iPad mini quite well.

More info on the PC version, sounds like it'll be coming soon
WS updates in January maybe? Just a small one, probably the dropbox support. After the PC version, we'll do an update with a new class and specific dungeon for that class. Also an ultra difficult "quick mode" is planned, with new boss variants.

Saw on Toucharcade that the PC version is expected to release in January, along with an update including a Paladin character class, a (brutal) new mode, and other stuff

Wayward Souls is getting a big update soon, as well as the PC version
The Wayward Souls update will add a new pet system where a whopping 29 different pets can be found during play and will stick with you until you die or exit a dungeon. Some pets will offer various stat buffs, like increasing your chances for a critical hit or doubling the coins you find, and others will help you directly in combat by attacking the enemies you encounter.
---
While the pets are the major new playable feature, Rocketcat is also using them as a way to test a new smoother animation system, and going forward they'll be revamping all the enemy animations in the game. Also, alongside the long-awaited PC version of Wayward Souls the iOS version will receive an update with a new playable character, the Paladin.

Top Bottom