• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WB buys Monolith

Laurent

Monolith as in No One Lives Forever or Monolith as Xenosaga?

EDIT: Forget it... Fortunately, it's not Namco's affiliate!

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Jason is a nice guy... I am glad things came together for him with this finally... things were really up in the air there for while... but he does have a peanut shaped head

FoneBone

Well, I guess this means that Monolith won't be doing AVP3, if it ever happens (and it probably will, eventually). That sucks.

MrPing1000 said:
I demand a NOLF film...... who wud play cate.... hmmph

cate+archer_232.jpg

Mrbob

ManaByte said:
SHOGO 2 motherfuckers.

Oh hell yes. I want NOLF 3, but I could wait a bit longer for NOLF 3 if Shogo 2 was in the works. I remember that big cocktease when Monolith was pimping out a new version of Lithtech with Shogo assets. Always been hoping that would turn into a next gen Shogo game!

Does this mean that all of WB's films will run at a low framerate now?

Damn dude why do you hate Monolith so? They are one of a handful of great PC developers left.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Damn dude why do you hate Monolith so? They are one of a handful of great PC developers left.

That's the thing, I really like their games (for the most part). Blood was awesome, I enjoyed SHOGO, loved NOLF (and liked what I have seen of the sequel), and even found TRON 2.0 to be decent. Dunno about AvP2, but that sounds pretty good as well...

The problem is LITHTECH. They make good games with TERRIBLE technology. I hate their damn engines. They typically run like shit when one of their new games is released and they just don't feel right to me. NOLF 2 doesn't even hold a solid framerate on a 2.8 GHz P4 + 9800 Pro and it f*cking should! However, that was probably their most optimized title...

I'll give FEAR a chance, but based on all footage I have seen, it had an AWFUL framerate...yet didn't even look that impressive most of the time. If the game is really good, I'm sure I'll enjoy it...but I also fear that FEAR will be hampered by performance problems once again. Of course, I've heard that they are using a new engine this time...which is great, if it can perform well.

I just wish they would apply their talent to a superior graphics engine and drop LITHTECH.

Do you have an NForce2 board? Not sure if that's even the problem, but there was a severe memory leak that was causing havoc with my framerate. When I finially updated to the latest multiplayer patch (not the latest singleplayer) it fixed the problem (Multi also includes single). That last multiplayer patch was the only real patch that addressed this problem that affected a small percent.

element

Mrbob said:
Do you know what F.E.A.R. is using?
a brand spankin new engine. it is self developed, but not really part of the lithtech engines. lithtech was handed off to touchdown entertainment.

dark10x

I know FEAR is using a new engine, as noted above...but that doesn't mean it didn't run very poorly. The framerate was crap...

element

dark10x said:
I know FEAR is using a new engine, as noted above...but that doesn't mean it didn't run very poorly. The framerate was crap...
probably because the game was shown somewhat early.

dark10x

element said:
probably because the game was shown somewhat early.

Yes, I'm aware of that...but I still don't exactly have a lot of hope here. I mean, many "early" games are shown running at very decent framerates. When one is not, I give them the benefit of the doubt if I feel they deserve it. In the case of Monolith, they have NEVER EVER delivered a game that performs as well as it should. They have improved recently, though...so I'm still holding out hope. However, I won't believe until I see it...

The lengthy demonstration of FEAR was kinda cool, but it kinda suggested that it wasn't TOO early. It's a shame that it still moved like an old PC game. id has raised the animation bar with Doom 3, and I would really like to see others attempt to follow their lead. I'm sick of stiff "PC animation" in my first person shooters. :p

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
D2M15 said:
Only if they do Blood 3 first.
YES.

dark10x said:
It's a shame that it still moved like an old PC game. id has raised the animation bar with Doom 3, and I would really like to see others attempt to follow their lead. I'm sick of stiff "PC animation" in my first person shooters. :p
I don't really know what are you talking about, the demo showed some cool animation work.

element

dark10x, did you see the demo in person or just the gamespot videos?

I've seen it in person, and it doesn't really run that poorly. At least not how you are describing.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Funky Papa said:
YES.

I don't really know what are you talking about, the demo showed some cool animation work.

i agree with this. though maybe not up to doom 3 animation, but few stuff seems to be

dark10x

element said:
dark10x, did you see the demo in person or just the gamespot videos?

I've seen it in person, and it doesn't really run that poorly. At least not how you are describing.

It is true that I have only seen the demonstration via GS videos...

We'll see, though. I did not find the animation to be very impressive, though. It didn't look awful, but certainly not where I would like it to be. Of course, Doom 3 is the best animated PC FPS of all time...so expecting the same from a group with less money isn't really fair.

Like I said, I'll give it a chance...but all of their past work failed to deliver (from a performance standpoint). Perhaps they will turn it around...we'll see.

BLOOD 3
BLOOD 3
BLOOD 3
BLOOD 3
BLOOD 3
BLOOD 3
BLOOD 3
BLOOD 3
BLOOD 3
BLOOD 3
BLOOD 3
BLOOD 3
BLOOD 3
BLOOD 3
BLOOD 3
BLOOD 3
BLOOD 3

COME ON.

goodcow

Error Macro said:
BLOOD 3
BLOOD 3
BLOOD 3
BLOOD 3
BLOOD 3
BLOOD 3
BLOOD 3
BLOOD 3
BLOOD 3
BLOOD 3
BLOOD 3
BLOOD 3
BLOOD 3
BLOOD 3
BLOOD 3
BLOOD 3
BLOOD 3

COME ON.

If Blood 3 comes out, I'll release my horribly designed Blood 1 deatchmatch levels for you all to laugh at.

Eric-GCA

Banned
My main hope for this is that this deal will benefit Monolith more than WB in that the publisher will be a good "I'll fund whatever creative games you wish to develop" rather than "here's a bunch of licenses you better make".

Best I can hope for is a combination of the two.

Top Bottom