• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'We don't think Hi-Fi Rush 2 is going to make us money:' Krafton CEO says Tango Gameworks acquisition is about legacy

Draugoth

Gold Member
Hi-Fi_Rush.png

Source
Krafton CEO Changhan 'CH' Kim has explained the acquisition of Tango Gameworks from Microsoft was a "last minute deal."

Speaking to Game Developer about the buyout, which will see Krafton acquire the Japanese studio and Hi-Fi Rush franchise, Kim said the deal was creatively rather than commercially motivated.

"We wanted to maintain their legacy," says Kim. "Although they did not have a big success in their games, we saw many creatives worth pursuing. That's why we wanted to work with that organization."

Kim says Krafton wanted to "acquire as many people as possible from Tango to continue their legacy," with the studio having been shuttered by Microsoft in May. The South Korean company, best known for developing PUBG, was also rather smitten with Hi-Fi Rush and sought to acquire the IP to develop sequels.

"Because Hi-Fi Rush fans really want to see sequels, we negotiated with Tango Gameworks' parent company [Microsoft] to acquire that IP as well," he continues. According to Kim, the sudden shutdown of Tango Gameworks left employees "anxious," which is pushing Krafton to complete the deal as soon as possible.

"We wanted to make sure the deal happen fast to minimize that gap in their career," he adds. Kim says the scale and complexity of a conglomerate like Microsoft meant it was difficult to move quickly, but noted the Xbox maker was "open" to the sale of both the studio and its IP.

Given Krafton felt the move was time sensitive, the company focused on purchasing the Hi-Fi Rush franchise as opposed to Tango's entire IP slate–which also includes The Evil Within and Ghostwire Tokyo.

"If we were to acquire all IPs, I think it's going to complicate the deal too much. Krafton is a pretty big company, but Microsoft is very complicated,"

he says.

"We wanted to help the team continue developing their games, but especially Hi-Fi Rush. When I think about our fans, I think what they really care about is Hi-Fi Rush sequels."

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Pretty crazy to say they don't think it's going to make money. Sounds like everyone lucked out; gamers and employees. The real motivation is likely going to be what they work on after Hi-Fi Rush 2.

Reaseru

Talks about legacy, but bought the studio with the only IP they don't know if it actually sells or not.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Talks about legacy, but bought the studio with the only IP they don't know if it actually sells or not.
I think he means Capcom development legacy. Just the fact that they're talented and have experience. That can't be replicated overnight, no matter how much money you have.

But yeah, the IP after Hi-Fi Rush 2 could be anything. They spent big money on Callisto Protocol also, so it could be tied to PUBG for all we know.

Tsaki

Yeah, sure Jan. They will close the studio if it loses them money. But it'll probably sell. Whenever it releases it will be on Xbox Series, PS5, PC, Switch 2 and maybe next gen consoles and the online discourse has already made sure that many already know this game is coming, in comparison with the first one which pretty much had 0 marketing. All they have to do now is make it good.

Last edited:
Pretty crazy to say they don't think it's going to make money. Sounds like everyone lucked out; gamers and employees. The real motivation is likely going to be what they work on after Hi-Fi Rush 2.

I don't think it's crazy to think that. Part of the success of HFR comes from Game Pass since it made it possible to subscribers to try it before pulling the trigger, very few people would've bought that if it wasn't for the exposure Game Pass offered, and I am one of those gamers rooting for a sequel, but honestly sales wise I doubt it would make money.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
I think they are right, they can look at the player base and know only a percentage will pay for another experience. I enjoyed HiFi Rush, but I doubt I would pay more the $20 for it.

Punished Miku

I don't think it's crazy to think that. Part of the success of HFR comes from Game Pass since it made it possible to subscribers to try it before pulling the trigger, very few people would've bought that if it wasn't for the exposure Game Pass offered, and I am one of those gamers rooting for a sequel, but honestly sales wise I doubt it would make money.
What I meant is, it's crazy that he thinks that. I know MS thought that, but one could assume he was at least under the impression that the sequel would do better. He doesn't even seem to think so and is almost saying it's a charity purchase. I'll take it, but it's just surprising. They clearly have something else in mind after Hi-Fi Rush 2 and are just taking a shot on the game because they're fans of it and know the team wants to make it. Pretty cool.

Porcile

Ehhhh I think it will just end up being a skeleton crew to handle future ports and whatever else they want to do with the IP like merchandising etc. Similar to a Treasure situation. Highly doubt they will produce any new games.

What I meant is, it's crazy that he thinks that. I know MS thought that, but one could assume he was at least under the impression that the sequel would do better. He doesn't even seem to think so and is almost saying it's a charity purchase. I'll take it, but it's just surprising. They clearly have something else in mind after Hi-Fi Rush 2 and are just taking a shot on the game because they're fans of it and know the team wants to make it. Pretty cool.

I understand, however to me it seems that there is more love toward HFR than sales. We still don't know how it did sales wise across all the platforms, and honestly I don't think it did good. Should a sequel do better? Well I don't know, but depending on their budget it would be possible to make it even or slightly above, but IF the budget is medium-high then it will be really hard for them to make money.

For sure it's strange a company acquires a studio for altruism (for the fans), this was just an investment for growth, and if they didn't purchase any other IP probably it's because it was out of their reach (e.g: TEW), or simply because MS wanted to keep it. According to the statements they purchased Tango because of their legacy, or what's left of their team, and acquiring HFR was something they added eventually but it wasn't their main goal, so I understand they paid very little to MS for Tango and the HFR ip.

Time will tell, and I hope we get more entries in the HFR universe, but they will have to find ways to make the IP profitable since focusing on digital and physical sales won't be enough, they will probably look for partnership for gaming services, but that's up to them.

Hookshot

Gold Member
Did this really sell so badly that it warranted a studio closure and sell off of the IP? I thought it was liked and well received.

Hookshot

Gold Member
Fortnite and HFR have very little in common.
I know but a quick google says 2 million people played it, now that includes Gamepass which muddies it, but the first Luigi's Mansion did 3 mil. Luigi's mansion 3 is up to 14 million. We will never know if HFR 3 could have had similar trajectory given the chance and Microsoft's backing.

I know but a quick google says 2 million people played it, now that includes Gamepass which muddies it, but the first Luigi's Mansion did 3 mil. Luigi's mansion 3 is up to 14 million. We will never know if HFR 3 could have had similar trajectory given the chance and Microsoft's backing.
Yep but Fortnite was born as a multiplayer game, and over the time it adapted to what the market and the mainstream players were interested into, so Epic managed to make it a successful GaaS title after putting a lot of investment and effort into it. HFR is a 3rd person hack n' slash rhythm based single player title with no multiplayer mode.

oldergamer

about legacy? many of the original people that started the studio left before the shutdown. I don't think this is going to pan out how they think it will

Puscifer

It should because PS5 owners will at least buy and support their game.
I'm still trying to figure out Microsoft is doing with hundreds of millions monthly of GP subscribers money. In my opinion the idea of Gamepass is that it should eliminate risk and let developers be free to make stuff like Hi Fi Rush.

But then again, licensing those games and royalties, by whatever metric, and infrastructure isn't t free.

Top Bottom