• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WE8/PES4 Preview at IGN

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Weird, he doesn't mention the new double-X passing which I'm really looking forward to. Sounds stellar though, as expected. I hadn't heard about aiming your crosses, but that's an innovation I had really been wanting.

Socreges

Banned
Absolutely. He was answering some questions over at Evo-Web. Though I think he's been overwhelmed and gave up. :)

Also had this to say for anyone concerned about Famitsu's 'mere' 34:

You know what? Knowing some of the lads at Famitsu, I think that's WE8's more sim-like, European-style football is perhaps a bit less to their liking than before.

Nice!

Solid

This will be the best game ever. I fucking love Konami. They are the best! :)

Edit: Oh, and I hope Real Sociedad are as good as they are in PES3. Awesome team :D

sociedad_05.jpg

Hey guys,

thanks for the props on the preview. I havent touched Master League yet. I went through the extensive training challenges yesterday and after looking at the CPU teaching me the new tricks, I havent been able to pull half of them off. Like there's this weird move preceeding a cross where you just let the ball run for a bit and then you speed up..its difficult to explain, it's mainly just a changing pace, but I dont know how to pull it off. There seems to be some dribbles that can be only done with the Right Analogue stick (not just the roulette move) which I've managed to do randomly.

What is the double-x pass? You can definitely affect the strenght of the X-button pass as I hold the button down, the player takes an extra bit longer to let go of the pass and then he his it so the ball travels very fast. It's very cool especially to use in the midfield.

There is a a LOT of new tackling animations, both for the tackle and the consequences.
You can really body check players and they go flying, it looks very cool. We were all very impressed by those animations when we played last nite. You know how you try to catch up an forward with a defender for a tackle, then kind of bend your legs around his legs to get the ball...that move looks so awesome in WE8.

I spent about five hours updating the teams and changing the names into english. Pretty depressing now that there's double the teams. Luckily you can very easily now switch players between teams and you can immediately change the strategies and line-ups instead of having to buy that in the WE-shop. The shop has tons more stuff but I havent bought anything yet. I didnt realize just how many key playes have switched teams this summer, it'll be an interesting season. I'm really hoping PES4 will have some updated teams because as much it's part of the WE/PES expericence, changins the names is a major pain the ass due to larger amount of teams.

To be honest, I realize there's lots of new things under the hood but I havent been able to pull them off. I tried to pull of Ronaldo's special cross but to no avail, I think it just randomly happens instead you being able to pull it off consistently.

I've now played the game for two days and some mates have tried who are hardcore as I am. All of us think this is the best game in the series so far, nothing feels a tad wrong like it did in WE7I for example. It all feels right. Though I'm sure Fowler will find something to hate in this game too.

I'm still trying to generate a list of all the teams, but it's a bit time-consuming :) You CAN change non-licensed team names, so you can tell which teams are which in the team selection. however licensed teams (Spanis, Italian and Dutch) names cannot be changed and they are in Japanese, so I dont half of the dutch teams or the italians in there since all the players names are in Japanese. The names are correct on the backs of the players but as you know it's a slow process to go through all of them.

Another thing..the Dutch players in their club teams look amazing. Too bad Cocu isnt in the national team anymore as he looks amazingly lifelike. He IS in the national team in WE8, but looks wrong..like all the dutch players. Now, I think you CAN put the club team dutch players into the national team...I think. So maybe this way one can easily get the correct player faces into the team...I dabbled with the face building option but man,it's much more complex than before and it seems there's no ready 150 face models, rather you gotta build them up...which makes it pretty damn difficult.

There's smart stuff in the menus, like when you switch players from a team to another, the cursor stays where you leave it, so when you change multiple players into the same team, it's faster. Also you can from the start change national team players and this is well done too..you go the national team you want and click, and you get a full list of all the selected nations players, so it's easy to pick the players you want.

I looked at the jersey editor and it looks exactly like it did in WE7I, ie strange. I havent messed around with it, since the club teams I use have the correct jerseys. Well not the english but anyways.

The rosters are a bit deeper! nowhere near FIFA's but atleast there's more reserve players, so Real has Jurado, Juanfran, Meijia (well he was in the A-team last season to be honest) and ManU has guys like Chris Eagles and some others I now forget.

There's a boatload of stadiums and it pisses me off I dont know half of them. I think they are presented in the same order as in WE7I so I'm gonna load that game up and write the names down since I have them in English there. The Bernabeu isnt in WE8 sadly, but Nou Camp looks Exactly like it does in real-life...the stadiums really look quite a bit better mainly thanks to better lighting and color palette than before.

It's impossible for me to go through all the stats...BUT it does seem that Konami has taken a step into more realistic stats as quite a few of the teams I tried had most of their guys over 60 per skill, which to me is realistic. You are not gonna find a completely crap player in a big team. I was glad to notice my home country Finland had some improved stats for players like Forssel and they even had Eremenko Jr in there with okayish stats. Guys like Edu, Vieira and Gerrard finally have realistic stats. Also guys like Beckham have more realistic stats as he's slower thanbefore but he's improved in other areas.

I cannot believe I did this, but i just stopped,loaded the game up and took a bunch of shots of various players (Fowler, Gerrard just for you buddy). Doh!

New player mugs at
Winning Eleven 8 bad quality player mugshots

Riot

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
RiotPelaaja said:
Hey guys,

What is the double-x pass? You can definitely affect the strenght of the X-button pass as I hold the button down, the player takes an extra bit longer to let go of the pass and then he his it so the ball travels very fast. It's very cool especially to use in the midfield.

First off, thanks again for even more great info. As a WE fan yourself I'm sure you know how precious every little piece of info is to those of us a ways away from getting our hands on the title.

Yes, that is exactly the pass to which I'm referring; I have no idea why I called it the double-x pass but I must have gotten it mixed up with the double tap near post cross or something. I'm glad to see that it seems to be quite useful as it could really be the most important strategic on the field addition.

As far as new moves, they seem similar to some of the special moves that were added to WE7 (e.g. Del Piero Chip, Roulette, etc.) in that it's nice to know they are in there but they probably won't be used with regularity like some of the more standard moves. To me this is actually perfect as it avoids an EA-like situation where a move that you see in football possibly once a match is suddenly unstoppable and used every ten seconds.

Fowler

Riot, you are awesome. STEVIE G!!! And Kaka looks awesome, and I love the tape on Fake (Cristiano) Ronaldo's ears, and Kewell looks great... only Maldini doesn't QUITE look life-like, a judgement I can now personally make after this: http://homepage.mac.com/ravih/Blog/maldini.jpg :)

Midas said:
I just head to first copies of the game arrived in HK today. I wish I lived there. :)

Dunno where you heard that, I just got back from the shops. Everyone says Tuesday is the day. It's awesome though, every shop has a WE8 poster, and every other shop has a WE8 video... there are tons of people just milling about watching the video in eager anticipation. Love it :)

Midas

Fowler said:
Dunno where you heard that, I just got back from the shops. Everyone says Tuesday is the day. It's awesome though, every shop has a WE8 poster, and every other shop has a WE8 video... there are tons of people just milling about watching the video in eager anticipation. Love it :)

"first bulk arrived today" from a guy running an online store. Cant see why he would lie since he said they're already sold out and he'll get another shipment on august 2nd. But you never know. :p

Sounds like a nice atmosphere though. :)

Fowler

Nah, not doubting you so much as wondering where that info came from, since nobody has it yet... I'll check back tomorrow though.

Snowball

Banned
In this picture the awesome Ronnie Gaucho seems the son of a gorilla and Pochaontas.

Anyway this game is the reason a PS2 should be in every house.

GOTY.

Snowball

joaomgcd

RiotPelaaja you mention in your preview that now you can hit L1 and triangle and you can manually control the keeper. But you could already do that before, in PES3 and WE7.. Just thought I'd let you know that, in case you didn't know (since you make it seem like it's a new feature).

RiotPelaaja said:
I tried to pull of Ronaldo's special cross but to no avail, I think it just randomly happens instead you being able to pull it off consistently.

What's the Ronaldo you're talking about? Cristiano?

Wow. I've never played a WE game before, but aside from those huge, distracting flags, that looks really good.

Any idea when the XBox version's coming out?

Brofist

Bluemercury said:
What's the Ronaldo you're talking about? Cristiano?

Ronaldo always refers to Ronaldo from Brasil/Real Madrid..Cristiano Ronaldo is always mentioned by first and last name.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Got it tonight
Erm...i like it BUT there are some isues :

it feels a bit TOO fast
and the ref "mistakes" are SHITE this time round, missing every deflected shot that should be a corner.
poor teams knowledge of offside is appauling, yet they can do every trick in the book
David James, god bless, is super accurate, missing lots of crosses and generally flapping at everything.
Load times could still be better.
and what the HELL has happened to the crowd noise? Sounds like everything is high pitched and bassless. :(
Slowdown at corners still bad, and at some times horrific.
Corner animation is fixed

Besides that, all is good.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
Fowler said:
Riot, you are awesome. STEVIE G!!! And Kaka looks awesome, and I love the tape on Fake (Cristiano) Ronaldo's ears, and Kewell looks great... only Maldini doesn't QUITE look life-like, a judgement I can now personally make after this: http://homepage.mac.com/ravih/Blog/maldini.jpg :)

The games has been released somewhere i saw a torrent a few days ago ( around sunday/monday )

Top Bottom