• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: The Veilguard - IGN Hands-On Preview

Just actually now watching the video (or rather, listening to it while doing other stuff, but looking at the screen every now and then). 10:22 - that's Morrigan?

Y-GiPVtRzP-23sc5eVsqNmEpLsGl4inq1nrDd4szZKn2nvJGV7xEQ9LvfydnuRZfPDJM8_1PmH6OIuf5yxS0JAnmwAxCSVl2JtIJUP9m3DBWugSEGGChwO1VmBkRfeuW53L886G3pKfC0YHe1YS7daPvFczH

Seriously. I get that having the same armor fit a bunch of different body types/sizes can be challenging (as a trivia, this is why Sten in Origins didn't have horns, making a separate model for all the helmets would have been too much work), but what's that floating thingamagic in front of her face. It's not certainly being held there by any physical means.

I think that is Flemmeth's (her mother) mask? Looks certainly like it!

Morrigan in Veilguard:

wNy9ltF.jpeg

Flemmeth in Inquisition:

c792EXe.jpeg

Last edited:

dottme

I join the group of it looks good.
But…
1- outside of the universe, it doesn’t look like a dragon age game and I’m ok. I’m not sure why they make this a mainline Dragon Age.
2 - it’s BioWare and there recent output wasn’t great. So I’ll clearly wait after release to get more feedback.

nowhat

Reminder that BioWare was basically bankrupt and EA saved them. Otherwise Mass Effect 1 would have been most likely the last game (not even DA:O probably).
OTOH, we have to "thank" EA for DA2 (and for the record, I don't hate that game, it's not the worst thing ever, but certainly has flaws that have been reiterated enough already). Would the series have been better off with a sequel/new game in the same setting, that was given more development time than 18 months? (and also not calling it DA2, which EA insisted) I guess we'll never know.

Luipadre

Gold Member
I join the group of it looks good.
But…
1- outside of the universe, it doesn’t look like a dragon age game and I’m ok. I’m not sure why they make this a mainline Dragon Age.
2 - it’s BioWare and there recent output wasn’t great. So I’ll clearly wait after release to get more feedback.

One thing for sure, this game looks much more polished already than their recent titles. No wonder they are not afraid to show a lot

Last edited:
OTOH, we have to "thank" EA for DA2 (and for the record, I don't hate that game, it's not the worst thing ever, but certainly has flaws that have been reiterated enough already). Would the series have been better off with a sequel/new game in the same setting, that was given more development time than 18 months? (and also not calling it DA2, which EA insisted) I guess we'll never know.

As far as I understand most of the issues with BioWare came from EA being too hands-off (except for DA 2). Since EA is more hands-on (after Anthem) the development seems to go well without much crunch etc. with Veilguard.

The issue was mostle BioWare's management and their "BioWare magic"

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
As far as I understand most of the issues with BioWare came from EA being too hands-off (except for DA 2). Since EA is more hands-on (after Anthem) the development seems to go well without much crunch etc. with Veilguard.

The development of the fourth main entry in the Dragon Age series, code-named "Joplin", began in 2015 with Mike Laidlaw as its creative director. It was intended to be a smaller, more narrative-focused game set in the Tevinter Imperium region of the game's world setting, Thedas.[18]

Problems with the development of BioWare's other games Mass Effect: Andromeda and Anthem led to repeated interruptions as "Joplin" staff was shifted to these games. This included putting "Joplin" on hold in late 2016 with development resuming in March 2017 after Andromeda shipped.[18][19] In October 2017, BioWare and its parent company Electronic Arts cancelled "Joplin" altogether, reportedly because it had no room for a "live service" component to provide ongoing monetization opportunities.[18][19]

Development of the game was restarted under the code-name "Morrison" in 2018, this time with a live-service component and based on Anthem's code.[18][20] According to Bloomberg News, after the success of the single-player game Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order and the decision to cancel the reworking of the massively multiplayer online Anthem in February 2021 following its lackluster launch, EA and BioWare decided to remove the planned multiplayer components from "Morrison" and to develop it as a single-player game only.[21]Alpha-stage footage leaked in February 2023 indicated that the game would use real-time action combat gameplay, influenced by God of War, unlike previous Dragon Age games.[22][23][24] Kotaku opined "it's true that Dragon Age's most dedicated fans aren't here for the gameplay—but they still deserve a gaming experience that doesn't feel like it was grafted from a completely different genre."[22]

Staff turnover​

edit
The project has been marked by a high turnover of leading staff. Several veteran Dragon Age staff, including Laidlaw, left the company in response to Joplin's cancellation in 2017.[18] After the 2018 restart, Mark Darrah remained as an executive producer, while Matthew Goldman took over the position of creative director for the project from 2017 to 2021.[25] By December 3, 2020, Darrah had resigned from BioWare, replaced by BioWare Austin studio head Christian Dailey as executive producer.[26] Goldman left BioWare by November 2021,[20] and was replaced as Creative Director by John Epler.[27] Dailey left BioWare in February 2022.[28] Corinne Busche became game director thereafter, Benoit Houle director of product development, and Mac Walters production director.[28] Walters in turn left BioWare in January 2023.[29] In March 2023, Darrah returned as a consultant for the game and the Mass Effect team joined the production of Veilguard, according to EA.[30][31]

In August 2023, BioWare laid off 50 people working on Veilguard and the next Mass Effectgame;[32] this included Mary Kirby who was one of the series' original writers and credited with "creating Varric and the Qunari".[33] PC Gamer commented "that's not to say there are no veterans of the good old days left, but you're looking at a very different group of people than the one that made the studio's greatest hits".[33] In October, seven of them sued BioWare for additional compensation, complaining that BioWare's NDAs prevented them from adding their work on Veilguard to their portfolio.[34]

Yeah that sounds like some smooth development under EA’s wise management alright.

Yeah that sounds like some smooth development under EA’s wise management alright.

The turnover happened mostly 2014-2019. EA "took over" around late 2019 when DA 4 was restarted. Since then development went smooth and they hit the internal milestones etc.

That article also does not mention devs coming back etc. - clear agenda in it :messenger_winking:

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
The turnover happened 2014-2019. EA "took over" around late 2019 when DA 4 was restarted. Since then development went smooth and they hit the internal milestones etc.
Did you miss the part where EA decided to cancel the original DA4 because it didn’t have enough opportunities for live service/monetization, and reboot it as a live service game sharing code with Anthem?

Then in 2021 they changed their mind about live service and decided to strip out the live service stuff and rework it back into a single player game?

Did you miss the part where EA decided to cancel the original DA4 because it didn’t have enough opportunities for live service/monetization, and reboot it as a live service game sharing code with Anthem?

Then in 2021 they changed their mind about live service and decided to strip out the live service stuff and rework it back into a single player game?

So? That is 4 years of dev in singleplayer when the game comes out in a month.

That is a full dev cycle for an AAA-RPG.

Last edited:

nowhat

They (EA) did mandate using Frostbite, which while admittedly a competent FPS engine, and can be somewhat easily retooled for something like FIFA, caused a ton of issues while developing Inquisition. And later on Andromeda (admittedly, this was in part due to in-fighting within the studio - the main studio had experience with engine, but the secondary one tasked with Andromeda didn't, and for a long time they didn't compare notes). And later Anthem. And now, Veilguard. Not sure about the crunch, "DA4" was supposed to be a live-service game years time until it was rebooted, maybe several times depending on the source.

I'm not saying everything should be UE, in fact, I rather detest the trend of mostly everything being UE. But did BioWare really need to use Frostbite yet again? The Jedi games don't.

Last edited:
They (EA) did mandate using Frostbite, which while admittedly a competent FPS engine, and can be somewhat easily retooled for something like FIFA, caused a ton of issues while developing Inquisition. And later on Andromeda (admittedly, this was in part due to in-fighting within the studio - the main studio had experience with engine, but the secondary one tasked with Andromeda didn't, and for a long time they didn't compare notes). And later Anthem. And now, Veilguard. Not sure about the crunch, "DA4" was supposed to be a live-service game years time until it was rebooted, maybe several times depending on the source.

I'm not saying everything should be UE, in fact, I rather detest the trend of mostly everything being UE. But did BioWare really need to use Frostbite yet again? The Jedi games don't.

They spent 4 years building their tools for making an RPG for Frostbite (DA:I). Of course they should use the engine. BioWare's big issue in the 2010s was that they did not have an engine with the tools for their games.

DA:TV is built on what they learned with FB.

But yes they had some issues with it that is true. It is ambiguous if it was mandated though (see Mark Darrah's videos on YT)

Last edited:
It's obvious to those of us with autistic pattern recognition that every last ounce of testosterone was sucked out of this franchise
KihCc_.gif

Didn’t BioWare basically start all this shit? I get the complaints about the changes to gameplay and art style. But it ain’t like Buoware is gonna make a duke nukem character.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
So? That is 4 years of dev in singleplayer when the game comes out in a month.

That is a full dev cycle for an AAA-RPG.
Right, very smooth development (maybe?) as long as you ignore the first 6 years of false starts, and all the staff turnover, and only focus on 2021 onward.

Let me guess, you’re getting paid to astroturf this game?

Cyberpunkd

DA:TV is built on what they learned with FB.
Mean Girls Movie GIF by filmeditor

Looks incredible, and by incredible I mean violet shit, Fortnite-chasing, genre-streamlining. I just started Yakuza LaD and BG3, and I can already see both games shit from Mount Everest on what this crap is supposed to be.

Inquisition got incredibly wrecked by Witcher 3, a game that came out a year later and was 10x the RPG that Inquistion, busy-work excuse of a game was. Now it’s been 4 years since CP2077 and guess what - DA is still shit.

Last edited:
Mean Girls Movie GIF by filmeditor

Looks incredible, and by incredible I mean violet shit, Fortnite-chasing, genre-streamlining. I just started Yakuza LaD and BG3, and I can already see both games shit from Mount Everest on what this crap is supposed to be.

Inquisition got incredibly wrecked by Witcher 3, a game that came out a year later and was 10x the RPG that Inquistion, busy-work excuse of a game was. Now it’s been 4 years since CP2077 and guess what - DA is still shit.

You sound like you're 12.

I don't need Duke Nukem tits and ass, but this is just too much sanding off the edges for me.

dragon-age-qunari.png

The one on the left is player created. I hope the other Qunari (males) look better. We'll see. A little dishonest though to compare a player created one to an npc one.

Last edited:

Raven117

Wont be there day 1. But I'll see what the impressions are.

It just seems like its a totally different IP going for something totally different. That's fine, they can do what they want. But I will approach it like they are selling me a new IP rather than Dragon Age.

(And lets be honest, there is only 1 great game in that entire series...and that was about 15 years ago). LOTS have changed since then including BioWare (which is a carcass of what it was).

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Full nudity

Every party member is canonically pansexual

Most lines of dialog in the series

“First game in the series where the combat is actually good” according to BioWare

First nonbinary party member in the series

Directed by a “Queerosexual Gendermancer”

Sounds really promising to me. When can I preorder???

coachmcguirk91

Neo Member

Grifter youtubers that make money on culture wars are just as bad the cancel everything elements of the LGBTQ community. The game isn't forcing you to be gay or Trans. Neither is it forcing you to engage in LGBTQ relationships. From what I gather, everything you can do in this game, you can similarly do in Cyberpunk2077 or Baldurs Gate 3. But we all know why the outrage is 10x worse for this game.....

Hot5pur

I accept our purple overlords.
Seriously this game looks nice with its graphics and realtime combat. The character design is also quite good and brings things to life.

Senua

I don't like the art direction. Man remember Warcrafts cinematics and art books? Yea make games that look like that. Thanks

Full nudity

Every party member is canonically pansexual

Most lines of dialog in the series

“First game in the series where the combat is actually good” according to BioWare

First nonbinary party member in the series

Directed by a “Queerosexual Gendermancer”

Sounds really promising to me. When can I preorder???

Well, not for me then.

Top Bottom