• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Web Design and Development |OT| Pixel perfect is dead, long live responsive design

Daffy Duck

How do you guys handle contact forms that have file attachments and don't upload the file to the server?

I'm using swift mailer 4.0.6 (yes I know it needs updating) and it's proving troublesome following the example on the SWM page, I'm assuming it's because the version that so old, but I'm interested to know what other methods there are.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Can I just stick a responsive element (like a grid) into a container to have it function in the middle of a page with other content? Is that how that works?

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
i just wanted to chime in here to give a shoutout to github pages and jekyll. after wrestling with wordpress and tumblr, i realized that jekyll is way to go for devs trying to build their own blog sites. super easy and super hackable.

grmlin

Can I just stick a responsive element (like a grid) into a container to have it function in the middle of a page with other content? Is that how that works?

If the element itself is build with fluid containers/percantages, sure.

I it uses some fixed sizes you will have a hard time to do so :)

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
A famous example is the bootstrap grid: http://getbootstrap.com/css/#grid-nesting.

I'll read up on that, thank you very much. I (heavily) tweaked some open source responsive grids that once clicked open basically another grid that covers off of them. That grid contains text and photos that I used fancybox to lightbox out with. The thing is, the last time I used it it was its own page. Now, I need to have it in the middle of a page, with content above and below that grid. But I can't have the opening grid cover the entire content, just the area of that particular element.

I'm going to try the container solution later. Hope it works.

gundalf

Hey guys, I am working on a Unity Asset that brings a 3D like Material Setup to 2D Sprites and I am planning to release it soon for the Asset Store.
You can watch my progress in this Thread.

So far my Inspector contains some crappy placeholder icons that don't tell what they mean.
But look for yourself:
czt99kzc5lkhdtm9o.png

So yeah I would need 1 Logo, 7 Icons, 7 header and a 860 x 389 template promotion Banner for the Asset Store.

Now I am about to post a Job Offer for this on Reddit and I would like to know from you guys what kind of costs are awaiting me for this?

I hate Wordpress. I've been at it for the past ten hours trying to figure out how to convert my HTML/CSS site locally. The structure sort of works, but the CSS isn't loading... I hate this so much.

Copons

I hate Wordpress. I've been at it for the past ten hours trying to figure out how to convert my HTML/CSS site locally. The structure sort of works, but the CSS isn't loading... I hate this so much.

Care to explain a bit more?
Importing a stylesheet in a theme is very straightforward (and if you don't enqueue it it's exactly the same as for any other site).

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

i just wanted to chime in here to give a shoutout to github pages and jekyll. after wrestling with wordpress and tumblr, i realized that jekyll is way to go for devs trying to build their own blog sites. super easy and super hackable.

>.>

jekyll worked well for me anyway.

this is how my blog looks: http://www.datindie.com/

each blog post can be written using pure html or markdown

Care to explain a bit more?
Importing a stylesheet in a theme is very straightforward (and if you don't enqueue it it's exactly the same as for any other site).
I managed to get it working today. I changed around some of the PHP and it magically began working again. No idea what was wrong with it. Wish I did so I can avoid it next time. Now the big part is figuring out how to cgange around the CSS and make sure everything fits properly. The structure is pretty much the same as my static site minus some CSS3 animations not working.

TequilaHero

Neo Member
redid the website for the company I currently work for

http://interaptix.com/
I'm a super noob to web design and I just love the scrolling style of this website.
Someone else mentioned that they didn't know what it was about till the end, but to me, it adds to the curiosity and suspense, making for a more exciting experience. I really dig it, nicely done! Looking at the code is interesting, as well. Thank you for sharing it. =)

So, I mentioned I'm a total noob. I have built a few websites for school projects and I made my sister's restaurant website using primarily bootstrap. I'm all about responsiveness, since the majority of peeps look at things on their phones.

Just wanted to get some opinions on this blog I read about whether or not we even need CSS:
https://css-tricks.com/the-debate-around-do-we-even-need-css-anymore/

I tend to agree that the best part of it is the styling, 'cause it can become a cluster fuck to noobs like me.
Personally, I am leaning torwards JS and PHP for future learn-em-ups.
It's really overwhelming how many languages and style guides there are...

grmlin

Nice video. Atom is really good. Crazy that it's running in a browser...

React is a really different approach. I love it. It's not for everything but if it fits in your project, react with Flux really is awesome to use.

grmlin

So many IDE's. Might look into one of these instead of PHP Storm.

Web/PHPStorm is still the feature king, everything works out of the box. Atom needs some serious attention, and I still miss things. Atom is way slicker, can be much more customized.

Time will tell, for now, I think I will stick to PHPStorm for most of my work.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
This is probably the best thread for this. I need help with some sort of hosting solution.

Basically I need to run:
  • Maven projects (Locally these run on Tomcat, can be JBoss or whatever the service has available).
  • MySQL DB

What're my best chances at hosting options for these?

(I started a list for that then realised it wasn't that long but I commited to using bullets)

First post in here. So I'd like to create just a very simple webpage. I used to make some a long time ago in plain HTML and whatnot.

I see the resources in the OP but I'm not really sure where to start to be honest. Is there maybe a simple template I could follow, or a recommendation of where to begin?

I just need a tiny web footprint so that I can summarize my research/education/interests etc. Thanks a lot.

BTW, If it matters I am on OS X and I already have a place to host it, I just need to make it and upload it.

mturco

First post in here. So I'd like to create just a very simple webpage. I used to make some a long time ago in plain HTML and whatnot.

I see the resources in the OP but I'm not really sure where to start to be honest. Is there maybe a simple template I could follow, or a recommendation of where to begin?

I just need a tiny web footprint so that I can summarize my research/education/interests etc. Thanks a lot.

BTW, If it matters I am on OS X and I already have a place to host it, I just need to make it and upload it.

This is a great website for learning HTML and CSS:
http://learn.shayhowe.com/

If you remember enough of the fundamentals and just need help figuring out layout, this is probably a better use of time:
http://learnlayout.com/

Otherwise I would just look for sites similar to what you're trying to make and then use Inspector (right-click, inspect element) to understand how they did it.

I'm not extremely well-versed in HTML5, so I'm trying to figure out how I would go about adding a theme switcher to my site the way GAF does it. It's running on Squarespace 6 so as far as I know modification via CSS still works, but I wouldn't know how to go in and properly affect all those parameters myself.

Site itself, for reference. We haven't really gotten any complaints on our current color scheme, but I typically push updates through on nights and I'll just use the Style Editor to change the primary page color to a dark gray and then switch back when I finish. I was also going to have more than two themes, if it makes a difference.

SKINNER!

Banned
Anyone know any decent bite-size weblinks or videos that highlight what ASP.Net MVC is all about? Gonna be heading to do some training on it and I'd like to prep up a bit :)

This is probably a really easy problem, but I'm going to ask it anyways.

I'm trying to replace the index file for a webpage and replace it with the new one I created along with the other HTML files. When I go to the weblink the old webpage is still loading even though I deleted the old index and uploaded the new one. Cleaned my browser cache and everything, even on different devices. Still no dice. What am I doing wrong?

I'm using codecademy right now learning HTML, and so far, it isn't bad. Is there an order to learning these programs? Am I better off learning HTML first and then Javascript?

Also, is there another OT for HTML and web development, or will this thread be ok for me to ask for tips and help?

Thanks

EDIT-Also, JavaScript is pretty damn difficult to understand once you start learning about arrays, if, else, etc. I've read about jquery plugins that helps?

mturco

Cindres

I'm using codecademy right now learning HTML, and so far, it isn't bad. Is there an order to learning these programs? Am I better off learning HTML first and then Javascript?

Also, is there another OT for HTML and web development, or will this thread be ok for me to ask for tips and help?

Thanks

EDIT-Also, JavaScript is pretty damn difficult to understand once you start learning about arrays, if, else, etc. I've read about jquery plugins that helps?

For the bolded, stuff like that (could you maybe elaborate on other areas that are confusing) e.g. Arrays, etc. Are some programming fundamentals you don't really want to skip. I think learning a decent amount of pure JS as possible at first is a good way to go. Like you don't have to spend too long on it, get the fundamentals, and ultimately you'll end up using other libraries (JQuery, whatever MVC/MVVM/MVW framework is the flavour of the month) but it helps to know what is JS and what is a part of the library you're using. Plus I think it's easier to adapt to the libraries once you've got a solid grasp of the language.

The eloquent JS book recommended above is a good one tbf as it covers all those fundamentals as well as web stuff like the DOM, etc. I'd definitely recommend going through that one ASAP.

I'd also recommend stuff like
JS: The Good Parts

theecakee

Thanks

Yeah JS is a full on programming language where as HTML/CSS and all are not really programming languages. If you're still in school, taking a CS101 course would help to understand JS and programming in general better. Theres also that Harvard CS050 or w/e course you could do online for free. You don't have to learn about the intro theory behind CS, but it helps to understand programming better.

Starting to get overwhelmed by the number of different codes and stuff for html/ccs. I'm close to 100% completing the codecademy course.

by the time I'm done it'll have taken me three days/9 hours go complete the course.

its just way too many different vocabulary words, classes, and rules.

I don't even think id enjoy doing this stuff, but ill try and push through to at least gain some new skills.

grmlin

Starting to get overwhelmed by the number of different codes and stuff for html/ccs. I'm close to 100% completing the codecademy course.

by the time I'm done it'll have taken me three days/9 hours go complete the course.

I don't even think id enjoy doing this stuff, but ill try and push through to at least gain some new skills.

I don't want to scare you off, but JS is somehow easier than HTML and CSS. JS is a language I can learn, CSS often is pure brainfuck, no matter how long you do it. Lot's of CSS in a project is just too much for human brains to handle, imho!
It does not help that different browsers do different things with the same css.

It can be a lot of fun though, that's why I still love my job. There is always something new and fancy going on, everything moves.

^if JS is easier, then I hope you're right.

I just finished learning HTML and CSS on Codecademy!

I have two questions:

1. Is there a free program or something where I can fiddle around creating my own web page? What I've learned is that there's an index and a CSS tab two switch between the two. Are most programs like that?

2. How can I write this on my resume? I know it has to be under skills, so you think a bullet point with "Knowledge of HTML and CSS1, CSS2, and CSS3" will suffice?

Thanks!

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
^if JS is easier, then I hope you're right.

I just finished learning HTML and CSS on Codecademy!

I have two questions:

1. Is there a free program or something where I can fiddle around creating my own web page? What I've learned is that there's an index and a CSS tab two switch between the two. Are most programs like that?

2. How can I write this on my resume? I know it has to be under skills, so you think a bullet point with "Knowledge of HTML and CSS1, CSS2, and CSS3" will suffice?

Thanks!

1. I'm starting to like Atom. It's really customizable, to the point where it may feel overwhelming, but out of the box it'll let you do that two-tab setup that you're after.

2. I'd write it as HTML/CSS3, or even just HTML/CSS. Ideally, you'd put HTML5, but you'll want to make sure you actually know those features before claiming it. HTML5 has some tricky stuff. Don't bother listing all the versions; they're both iterative, so if you know the latest you know the useful bits introduced in the earlier ones.

Maiar_m

Ok, thanks! Now onto learning Javascript.

Before you cram more disconnected info in your memory, I'd advise you to start building stuff with what you've learned in HTML / CSS. Codecademy and so on are nice, but it doesn't really count as "having" these skills. Build a portfolio page, make something where you create your own problems and move forward from there on, or by the time you're done with the JS course you're bound to be unable to recall these HTML /CSS lessons IMO.

I did the same thing for JS and Angular, and there is a vast, vast difference between following the courses and using them in real life.

Cindres

Before you cram more disconnected info in your memory, I'd advise you to start building stuff with what you've learned in HTML / CSS. Codecademy and so on are nice, but it doesn't really count as "having" these skills. Build a portfolio page, make something where you create your own problems and move forward from there on, or by the time you're done with the JS course you're bound to be unable to recall these HTML /CSS lessons IMO.

I did the same thing for JS and Angular, and there is a vast, vast difference between following the courses and using them in real life.

I think this is good advice, it's also good to see what can be done on the web before introducing JS to it, I think it can often be forgotten that JS isn't required for everything (I know others in here have mentioned before about doing animations, etc. in CSS before going straight to JS to do that stuff).

grmlin

In the end it takes a lot of practice to master HTML/CSS/JS. If you are lucky, you'll find a"mentor" in a job, who helps you.

You can only learn the basics with books, doing web is on another level ;)

Have fun!

So is it just me or is xdebug incredibly... buggy? I feel like I'm really lucky whenever I get it to actually work. Even when it does, it'll just stop working after a while.

cyber_ninja

Hello Web Design Gaf,

I'm getting into using Joomla (I do an internship for a company and Joomla is their platform of choice) and having problems with creating custom components. Yesterday I found out about several component creators such as component creator, black rabbit and cook self-service. My question is: does anyone have any experience with those creators and which one is the best? From what I gathered those component creators can make a life of a noob programmer like myself a lot easier.

Thanks.

When I had to deal with CSS at my last job, just posting a CSS cheat sheet next to my monitor was a godsend. I didn't try to get too bogged down in memorizing everything.

ckohler

I've gotten tired of trying to code responsive e-mails by hand so I'm looking into some frameworks.

The first one I saw was very flexible but also verbose and frankly confusing:
http://zurb.com/ink/

I've settled instead on this much simpler one:
http://emailframe.work/

Still, even figuring out this second, simpler framework is a head scratcher. At the end of the day, let me just say I loath html e-mail. I'd rather build 5 websites rather than just one responsive e-mail that works. Ugh.

jesalr

I've gotten tired of trying to code responsive e-mails by hand so I'm looking into some frameworks.

The first one I saw was very flexible but also verbose and frankly confusing:
http://zurb.com/ink/

I've settled instead on this much simpler one:
http://emailframe.work/

Still, even figuring out this second, simpler framework is a head scratcher. At the end of the day, let me just say I loath html e-mail. I'd rather build 5 websites rather than just one responsive e-mail that works. Ugh.

Yeah, our emails are just percentage based. No breakpoints. It works fine on every smartphone we've tested. Couldn't imagine trying full responsiveness. It just isn't worth it for us, since we keep the content incredibly simple.

Top Bottom