• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Web Design and Development |OT| Pixel perfect is dead, long live responsive design

Is using lorem ipsum really seen as a bad thing for designer portfolios? That seems very odd to me, as you're not selling your ability to write bullshit text. Whether you're writing it or using placeholder text, it's not actually content. Coming from the journalistic side of things, nobody expects you to write up fake articles to show how text would react in a web app/element.

Can somebody explain this one?

I agree but its just something i saw when researching about portfolio's. Some say it displays your writing skills but like you said that is not relevant to coding.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I agree but its just something i saw when researching about portfolio's. Some say it displays your writing skills but like you said that is not relevant to coding.

Oh, definitely not arguing. I'm new to most of this, but at least in journalistic uses, lorem ipsum remains very much a standard for all things layout and design. I was just curious if this was some standard knowledge that I needed to have, is all.

So what are considered "essential" pages for a Wordpress theme? So far I created the following php files in addition to the main structure files: functions, archive, author, single, and page.

I'm not trying to go too crazy since this is just supposed to be a simple news system for the client website I am working on, but I want to make sure I don't need much more than this since everything else just seems like potential bloat.

So what are considered "essential" pages for a Wordpress theme? So far I created the following php files in addition to the main structure files: functions, archive, author, single, and page.

I'm not trying to go too crazy since this is just supposed to be a simple news system for the client website I am working on, but I want to make sure I don't need much more than this since everything else just seems like potential bloat.

I would also include a 404 page, search page and styling for basic widgets.

I would also include a 404 page, search page and styling for basic widgets.

Appreciate it.

Now my only big thing left is trying to replace the static website with the new Wordpress-based website. Not quite sure what all is involved, but I'm researching. Using DreamHost, which has their own Wordpress package, but since the domain is for the static website I'm trying to find out how to upload the Wordpress theme and then use that same domain.

There should be a list or something on the wiki or somewhere else. Or grab an existing theme and inspect it.

EloKa

a origami bird animated with HTML5 and JS only
Origami Bird

I'm quite familiar with most web based technologies like html(5), css(3), php, js (jquery), yeah even flash.

But I have no clue how I could start with animations like this example.
Does anyone have a reference where to start? Currently I do my basic UI animations mostly with CSS mixed up with little JS

I'm looking for some good clean, very basic html5 templates that are based off of Foundation or Bootstrap. Something that has a mobile slide out menu already built and tested. I have a few on my list but I figured it would be beneficial to get more options. Anyone have any recommendations?

Copons

Angular people, I'm having an issue with multiple concurrent REST calls (with Restangular) and I can't seem to find the reason, and I don't know if it's me doing a stupid mistake or the server set up wrong.

I'm trying to do two (but they could easily be more somewhere else in the app) GETs on different endpoints, like this:

(vm is the controller's ViewModel)

Code:
var stuff = Restangular.all('stuff');
var things = Restangular.all('things');

stuff.getList().then(function(list){
  vm.stuff = list;
});
things.getList().then(function(list){
  vm.things = list;
});

Locally, on a super simple static web server provided by grunt-contrib-connect and calling some .json files, it all works perfectly fine.

When I try on the server (a JBoss server I know totally nothing about) though, it hangs while trying to process both requests. And I mean it literally: whenever I try it, the server just dies and I have to restart it before trying to send another REST call.
I tried reading the server's log, but it's so absurdly verbose that I quickly gave up.
Once though, I noticed it starts the database query of one of the GETs, but stops right in the middle of it (something like "SELECT * FROM stuff WHERE id =") and it doesn't show anything more after.
If I comment out any one of the two calls, it works fine.

So far, the only solution I came up with is to put the second request (possibly the slower one) inside the .then() of the first:

Code:
var stuff = Restangular.all('stuff');
var things = Restangular.all('things');

stuff.getList().then(function(list){
  vm.stuff = list;
  things.getList().then(function(list){
    vm.things = list;
  });
});

Seeing this working fine, made me wonder if I was getting my first approach totally wrong.
I mean, is sending multiple requests one after another a newbie mistake (I'm an Angular newbie but don't tell it to my boss)?
Should I have expected to see the server dying on me, or is it that the server sucks and I've just have to work around its suckiness?

Somnid

Seeing this working fine, made me wonder if I was getting my first approach totally wrong.
I mean, is sending multiple requests one after another a newbie mistake (I'm an Angular newbie but don't tell it to my boss)?
Should I have expected to see the server dying on me, or is it that the server sucks and I've just have to work around its suckiness?

Parallelizing requests is good for performance. If they are separate things then fetching them at the same time is great. It sounds like the server can't process 2 requests without dying (which is crazy because what if more than one person hit the site?). You are doing the right thing, definitely sounds like suckage (maybe there is a config or something you could look at).

Copons

Parallelizing requests is good for performance. If they are separate things then fetching them at the same time is great. It sounds like the server can't process 2 requests without dying (which is crazy because what if more than one person hit the site?). You are doing the right thing, definitely sounds like suckage (maybe there is a config or something you could look at).

Thanks!

Yeah, that's what I was thinking when I wrote the two requests side by side, but eh, sometimes, when things don't work I start throwing doubts all over the place...

As for configuring the server: that'll be a huge problem.
I'm a web dev, I didn't even know what a JBoss server is until a month ago. When I was hired I was told it wouldn't be an issue, as the back-end is manned by two Java guys who know their way around those things.
Turns out, it's the first time they use JBoss, and even worse they don't know how to use the Java framework they were told to use (Hibernate, IIRC) - and have abysmal knowledge of SQL too (like, they don't know how to do a JOIN, ffs!).

So yeah, I'm already having a hard time getting back the json I need, built as I need them, let alone asking them to configure the server to accept more than one request at the same time. :D

Nelo Ice

Banned
Well even though I'm teaching myself, I really need to attend meetups and hackathons. Anyone know of a good site to find out any upcoming hackathons?. I've found a few but was wondering if GAF knows of any that I haven't seen yet. I live in the bay so hackathons and meetups are always happening I just need to find out when.

edit:Well there's one this Friday but $40 ticket fee. I registered for a free admission one next month which sounds more for me since it mentioned workshops and development tracks.

grmlin

Well even though I'm teaching myself, I really need to attend meetups and hackathons. Anyone know of a good site to find out any upcoming hackathons?. I've found a few but was wondering if GAF knows of any that I haven't seen yet. I live in the bay so hackathons and meetups are always happening I just need to find out when.

edit:Well there's one this Friday but $40 ticket fee. I registered for a free admission one next month which sounds more for me since it mentioned workshops and development tracks.

Did you try http://www.meetup.com?

Daffy Duck

Interesting.

How do you handle that? Simply state it will work in all browsers IE9+? Is that a company policy or do you work as a freelancer?

Potentially a dumb question but hoping somebody can point me in the right direction.

Anybody have any idea how some sites, Facebook and nodejs.org as examples, can load content in without the whole page flashing on post back? To elaborate, if you navigate Node's menu, the content updates, the loading animation runs on the chrome tab, and the url query string updates but the menu itself doesn't seem to refresh.

Now, I know I can load content in with Ajax, and I know I can update the query string in script with the History API. But I don't think that's what they're doing.

Ideas?

grmlin

Interesting.

How do you handle that? Simply state it will work in all browsers IE9+? Is that a company policy or do you work as a freelancer?

This is imho the way the modern web works. If they want all the older browsers the client will have a) to pay much more and b) reduce the feature set. And this for a crazy minority (that does not deserve any better, btw ;))

Most of the things will work though, I'm a dev stigmatized by IE6 and do x-browser things automatically.

I'm not freelancing. We are a small team though, and I don't think we will do IE7 ever again. If someone would ask for it, we would probably say: look somewhere else...

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Can we talk about browser support for a second?

What browsers do you support as a minimum? IE7?

IE7 shouldn't be supported imo. If anyone is using XP they can get 8 at a minimum.

IE6 is dead dead dead. If I ever see someone say something like "but does it work on IE6" I just want to give them a slap

saying that I don't think you should ever exclude a browser from seeing the content. progressive enhancement is the way to go.

If you only support the bleeding edge because your site is doing some fancy whiz bang js rubbish then you've failed anyway. might as well be making a flash site at this point.

grmlin

IE7 shouldn't be supported imo. If anyone is using XP they can get 8 at a minimum.

IE6 is dead dead dead. If I ever see someone say something like "but does it work on IE6" I just want to give them a slap

saying that I don't think you should ever exclude a browser from seeing the content. progressive enhancement is the way to go.

If you only support the bleeding edge because your site is doing some fancy whiz bang js rubbish then you've failed anyway. might as well be making a flash site at this point.

lol, the flash comment. If you have to build a fancy webapp because client wants it, who cares?
All that matters is time and money. Nothing else. If you give me enough money, I'll would build a site for IE 5.5 on MacOS :D

no, I won't

Highwind

For Web Devs in the UK: Is there a web hosting service you recommend?

Doing some work for my cousin and I want to get the web space sorted now, but I don't want them to sign up to a bad hosting site.

The site will just hold information about their business and contact information.

Right now I am using Spiral Hosting UK (which used to be Aventurehost). Should I ask them to sign up to the same thing? It also offers 1 free domain registration.

Copons

José Mourinho;172745849 said:
Potentially a dumb question but hoping somebody can point me in the right direction.

Anybody have any idea how some sites, Facebook and nodejs.org as examples, can load content in without the whole page flashing on post back? To elaborate, if you navigate Node's menu, the content updates, the loading animation runs on the chrome tab, and the url query string updates but the menu itself doesn't seem to refresh.

Now, I know I can load content in with Ajax, and I know I can update the query string in script with the History API. But I don't think that's what they're doing.

Ideas?

They may not be doing AJAX, but likely only for the X (XML).
The "Asynchronous Javascript" part is still the keyword.

You should check some Javascript frameworks, such as Angular, React or Backbone, especially how they handle routes (how they "intercept" the changes in the URL to choose what content to load).

Daffy Duck

Doing some work for my cousin and I want to get the web space sorted now, but I don't want them to sign up to a bad hosting site.

The site will just hold information about their business and contact information.

Right now I am using Spiral Hosting UK (which used to be Aventurehost). Should I ask them to sign up to the same thing? It also offers 1 free domain registration.

I use vidahost, had no issues with them at all. And the pricing is good.

They may not be doing AJAX, but likely only for the X (XML).
The "Asynchronous Javascript" part is still the keyword.

You should check some Javascript frameworks, such as Angular, React or Backbone, especially how they handle routes (how they "intercept" the changes in the URL to choose what content to load).
Thanks, after looking around a bit trying to find out how it's done I was sort of naturally directed toward Angular, although I'm not sure if that's what I'm looking for. I'm well aware of it, but never actually looked in to it so might have a play around.

I use Hosting UK.

Daffy Duck

Following on from my ie7 question earlier, I take it by design that 960gs just does not work due to using pseudo classes :before/:after

Copons

José Mourinho;172766848 said:
Thanks, after looking around a bit trying to find out how it's done I was sort of naturally directed toward Angular, although I'm not sure if that's what I'm looking for. I'm well aware of it, but never actually looked in to it so might have a play around.

Since you're starting now, I may suggest to try React first, as it's supposed to be today's cool kids framework and because Angular is due to a complete overhaul in the upcoming 2.0 update, so you may learn stuff that will be completely replaced in a bunch of months (weeks, even?).

(Anyway, I'm a bit out of the loop: is React still the bestest new JS framework of the week or there's some even newer rising star coming up?)

Since you're starting now, I may suggest to try React first, as it's supposed to be today's cool kids framework and because Angular is due to a complete overhaul in the upcoming 2.0 update, so you may learn stuff that will be completely replaced in a bunch of months (weeks, even?).

(Anyway, I'm a bit out of the loop: is React still the bestest new JS framework of the week or there's some even newer rising star coming up?)

JSBlocks, old man

grmlin

React+Flux is awesome, and I still love it.

right now I have to build a "normal" Website with server side rendering and it's really relaxing :D

React is the Facebook framework, right?

I sort of hate options...

Edit: after about 5 minutes of research React looks like it may be way better. I sort of love options...

José Mourinho;172794403 said:
React is the Facebook framework, right?

I sort of hate options...

I'd recommend Angular if you're just starting out. It's got an easy to follow interactive tutorial here. You can build an entire frontend application in Angular while React only takes care of the view part.

Angular probably does too much thinking for you, which is good to get started, but bad later on. But when you understand the concepts it's easier to build a new project in different frameworks

grmlin

I'd recommend Angular if you're just starting out. It's got an easy to follow interactive tutorial here. You can build an entire frontend application in Angular while React only takes care of the view part.

Angular probably does too much thinking for you, which is good to get started, but bad later on. But when you understand the concepts it's easier to build a new project in different frameworks

That's why you want to use it with flux (or any flux-framework)

Angular 2 is around the corner and they changed everything for a reason...

I have to support IE6 because the product we make is used heavily in schools and schools are sometimes bullshit and still have IE6.

What's more expensive, time on IE6 support, or driving round to each of the schools using IE6 and forcibly installing Chrome? :p

Daffy Duck

I have to support IE6 because the product we make is used heavily in schools and schools are sometimes bullshit and still have IE6.

Similar thing for me, we do quite a bit of local authority work and we need to look to support ie7 as that's what the council run, other councils we work with are on new browsers but this one won't seem to budge.

jesalr

What's more expensive, time on IE6 support, or driving round to each of the schools using IE6 and forcibly installing Chrome? :p

The price for both, my sanity

Similar thing for me, we do quite a bit of local authority work and we need to look to support ie7 as that's what the council run, other councils we work with are on new browsers but this one won't seem to budge.

I know 01 was a very long time ago, but how did they get away with that?

Anyone have an idea? I'm fixing a bug on our (big) system. I have no idea why several JS variables randomly go undefined maybe 5% of the time I load a page. I'm focusing on one of those variables. It is never unset. On every case it is set, it is given a literal string so it is never instantiated with a null.

Kicker: the variable is declared in a JS file that also declared a function. The function is never undefined, which means the JS never fails to load.

Not a browser issue. 99% certain not an issue with connections or Apache. Nothing bad pops up on Apache logs and browser consoles.

I thought it was some kind of leak of aggressive garbage collection but it happens in all browsers I tried.

I'm looking for ANY ideas to explore.

Really randomly? Hmm ... maybe a scope problem? Are there any other JS files before/after? Do the script files always have the same order in which they are loaded?
Maybe an externally loaded file that happens to have the same variable name?

Sounds like a *fun* problem so solve .... even possibly with an easy solution that is even more easy to overlook. Ah yeah ... those are the best ones.

grmlin

You pollute the global namespace or is everything encapsulated? You could run a linter to remove all obvious pitfalls in your code first (which is a good idea to do anyway).

That said, not much we can say. Something overwrites this variable so you probably did something wrong ;)

That's why you want to use it with flux (or any flux-framework)

Angular 2 is around the corner and they changed everything for a reason...

I was told not to jump into Flux without having used React first, but reading about Flux it seems to solve a lot of problems we've run into with our homebrew hacky jquery thing. I should try it out

Highwind

Thanks for the replies.

Both hosting sites seem good but I don't know which one to go for, so I'll give both to my cousin and let them decide.

grmlin

I was told not to jump into Flux without having used React first, but reading about Flux it seems to solve a lot of problems we've run into with our homebrew hacky jquery thing. I should try it out

Flux and React are not tied in any way, they just work together wonderfully. I use the Flux Dispatcher approach in non-React environments, too. It's a cool way to build an event driven app.

Well, thats not entirely true, almost all examples you'll see will use React, so it's good to know this, too.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
The Verge: The mobile web sucks

No, The Verge's web sucks.

Sweet Jeebus. "You have visited 1 SITE. You have connected with 47 THIRD PARTY SITES."

I feel like someone just set up the entire vendor hall from an awful tech conference in my living room. Seriously, could you folks just not pick one or two or ten? Did you hit every booth and say "Yeah, cool, sign us up!" I feel thoroughly spindled & folded & researched, here.

related: The Web’s Cruft Problem. comments are worth reading too.

MRORANGE

Should I try Ghost?

I'm a basic user who can get drupal or WP up and running, but most times I feel they are really bloated. I just want a simple publishing platform, but it doesn't use php/mysql? what's the learning curve?

Nelo Ice

Banned
So just want to say I'm an idiot lol. Attended my first meetup last night and learned so much on how to get where I wanna be. Got a lot of useful information on what resources to use to learn web dev and where to go. Now I'm going to attend any hackathon and meetup I can. Signed up for so many events now it's absurd and thankfully they're all free to attend.

Also all I gotta say is for anyone trying to learn like me, attend any meetups you can and local events like hackathons. Of coursse ymmv depending on where you live. I'm lucky in the sense I live in the bay. I had no excuse to be floundering these last few months when the I live in the tech capital of the world ><.

So just want to say I'm an idiot lol. Attended my first meetup last night and learned so much on how to get where I wanna be. Got a lot of useful information on what resources to use to learn web dev and where to go. Now I'm going to attend any hackathon and meetup I can. Signed up for so many events now it's absurd and thankfully they're all free to attend.

Also all I gotta say is for anyone trying to learn like me, attend any meetups you can and local events like hackathons. Of coursse ymmv depending on where you live. I'm lucky in the sense I live in the bay. I had no excuse to be floundering these last few months when the I live in the tech capital of the world ><.

I probably will consider this, are they usually free and what exactly do you do there? Also get some websites with a portfolio because when it's time to apply like 99% will ask for a portfolio along with your resume.

Top Bottom