• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weekend Box Office - Aug 2 - 4, 2024 - Trapped between a twist and a despicable film

near

Gold Member
M. Night Shyamalan's Trap enters the charts this week at number 3 between Twisters and Despicable Me 4, while Deadpool & Wolverine holds firm at no. 1 and currently stands at an estimated $824M+ at the global box office through Sunday.

LCMmOok.png

lOP9r6x.png

‘Trap’ Chops Up $6.7 Million Opening Day, ‘Deadpool & Wolverine’ Reigning Again With Massive Second Weekend

The self-proclaimed Marvel Jesus is in for a big second coming. “Deadpool & Wolverine” is dominating the charts again after earning $28.3 million on Friday. As the Ryan Reynolds-Hugh Jackman superhero two-hander enters its sophomore frame, it has already surpassed a $300 million domestic total and now ranks as the second-highest-grossing domestic release of the year so far, surging past “Despicable Me 4” and “Dune: Part Two.”

What’s more, “Deadpool & Wolverine” seems primed to put up a much stronger hold than the average comic book adaptation. Superhero blockbusters can often see big drops in their second weekends after the first surge of fans have rushed to see the film. Rivals are putting the Disney release at a 55% drop though, demonstrating that “Deadpool & Wolverine” has immense appeal beyond Marvel diehards. The sequel has also maintains its play in premium large-format venues, like Imax auditoriums, this weekend.

Meanwhile, M. Night Shyamalan‘s latest thriller “Trap” is doing ample business after earning $6.7 million across Friday and preview screenings at 3,181 locations. That’s higher than the $5.4 million opening day by the director’s last feature “Knock at the Cabin,” which debuted in February 2023. The new feature, which stars Josh Hartnett as a serial killer avoiding a police sting at the pop concert he’s brought his daughter to, is looking at a third place debut, in line with projections for a three-day gross north of $15 million.

“Trap” is largely self-financed by Shyamalan and distributed by Warner Bros. Reviews lean negative, though the film didn’t screen for critics ahead of opening day. Audience sentiment isn’t positive either, with ticket-buyer survey firm Cinema Score determining a “C+” grade for the feature. That mediocre response might slow “Trap” down after its opening, but the mid-budget thriller is hitting expectations for now.

Also opening this weekend after a couple delays on Sony’s release calendar, the children’s book adaptation “Harold and the Purple Crayon” is getting waxed after earning a meagre $2.4 million on its opening day from 3,325 locations. The family film is in serious danger of debuting outside of the domestic top five, behind the eighth weekend of “Inside Out 2.”

At a production budget of $40 million, it’s not necessarily impossible to imagine the Zachary Levi vehicle managing to draw some families through August to stick out a more financially forgiving total gross — especially after receiving a positive response from early audiences (an “A-” grade on Cinema Score). But terrible reviews and a projected $6 million debut suggest a less auspicious trajectory.

Amblin’s “Twisters” continues to maintain speed in a crowded market, landing in second place once again. The Universal release is looking at $22 million in its third weekend of release, which would mark a slim 37% drop from its sophomore outing. The natural disaster thriller has now surpassed “Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes” ($170 million) to become the eighth-highest-grossing domestic release of the calendar year.

Universal also has another top five slot with “Despicable Me 4,” still drawing a crowd in its fifth weekend of release. The Illumination sequel is projecting $11.1 million over the three-day frame for a 24% drop. Total domestic gross surpassed $300 million earlier this week — one of only three titles this year to notch that milestone.

‘Deadpool & Wolverine’ Feels The Power With $824M+ Global Through Second Frame; Disney Tops $3B WW – International Box Office

SUNDAY UPDATE, Refresh for latest…: Deadpool & Wolverine continues to govern the global box office, now with an estimated $824.1M through Sunday. The breakdown here is $395.6M domestic and $428.5M at the international box office. On a worldwide basis, D&W has already topped the cumes of Deadpool ($783M) and Deadpool 2 ($786M).

It is the No. 3 R-rated movie of all time, and the 2nd highest global studio release of 2024 to date. Falling in behind Inside Out 2, this has helped push The Walt Disney Studios to become the first studio to cross $3B globally this year.

Archive
Weekend Box Office - Jul 19 - 21, 2024 - The twist here is we hate Disney shills
Weekend Box Office - Jul 26 - 28, 2024 - Alive & Howling

clarky

Gold Member
M. Night Shyamalan has done 2-3 decent films at best and one of those is the best unintentional comedy of recent times. Why people still get of their arses and actually go out to see his drivel is beyond me.

near

Gold Member
M. Night Shyamalan has done 2-3 decent films at best and one of those is the best unintentional comedy of recent times. Why people still get of their arses and actually go out to see his drivel is beyond me.
A lot of he's films tend to be based around basic plot points with simple narrative twists, filmed on a budget. He has always been hit or miss with me, but I tend to find them entertaining for better or worse. I think he is pretty good at what he does, but he isn’t a very good writer at all.

clarky

Gold Member
A lot of he's films tend to be based around basic plot points with simple narrative twists, filmed on a budget. He has always been hit or miss with me, but I tend to find them entertaining for better or worse. I think he is pretty good at what he does, but he isn’t a very good writer at all.
The Happening is the funniest film. Me and the Mrs drunk watch it from time to time and still can't figure out if its an accidental comedy or not. His Scripts are fucking that bad.

He should come up with the core ideas then pass them over to proper script writers. Hilarious that he was proclaimed as the new Hitchcock at one point.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
So is Trap a good Shyamalan movie or a bad Shyamalan movie?

There's no middle ground with this guy.

clarky

Gold Member
So is Trap a good Shyamalan movie or a bad Shyamalan movie?

There's no middle ground with this guy.
Wait for streaming is the best answer with his movies. Better to be safe than sorry.

Its been panned from the few reviews I've read but i always reserve final judgement until I've seen the movie myself of course. A load of glowing reviews will get me off my arse to the Cinema, but Trap doesn't look to be in that category.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I really don't understand why studios keep funding movies he directs.

bitbydeath

Knock at the Cabin and Old are his best films IMO. Didn’t like his old stuff. The Village I still hate to this day.

clarky

Gold Member
Knock at the Cabin and Old are his best films IMO. Didn’t like his old stuff. The Village I still hate to this day.
We share very different tastes my friend. I thought Cabin was ok, just. Old was laughably bad (and not in a so bad is good Happening type way)

Unbreakable, Split & The Happening for comedy value for me. Maybe Signs at a push.

Last edited:

near

Gold Member
I really don't understand why studios keep funding movies he directs.
Like clarky clarky said this one was self funded, but just to add to that, if you look at he’s most recent films he always turns a profit. Since most of he’s films are also low cost productions, they can sometimes end up turning huge numbers. He is like the Blumhouse Productions of directors. Low risk, possible high reward.

clarky

Gold Member
Like clarky clarky said this one was self funded, but just to add to that, if you look at he’s most recent films he always turns a profit. Since most of he’s films are also low cost productions, they can sometimes end up turning huge numbers. He is like the Blumhouse Productions of directors. Low risk, possible high reward.
Absolutely, cheap as chips and he does have his fans.

I quite like some of his idea's and the look and feel of his movies for the most part, but like I said earlier he needs a script writer. Some of his dialogue surpasses True Detective season 2 levels of bad.

Last edited:
Absolutely, cheap as chips and he does have his fans.

I quite like some of his idea's and the look and feel of his movies for the most part, but like I said earlier he needs a script writer. Some of his dialogue surpasses True Detective season 2 levels of bad.

He's hit or miss for me. I'm interested in seeing Trap when it comes to streaming since the concept is interesting. I might end up liking it more than I think since I don't go off rottentomatoes and user scores. I just make my own opinion on whether I like a product or not

clarky

Gold Member
He's hit or miss for me. I'm interested in seeing Trap when it comes to streaming since the concept is interesting. I might end up liking it more than I think since I don't go off rottentomatoes and user scores. I just make my own opinion on whether I like a product or not
Yup said the same earlier. He's a wait for streaming director for me.

Edti: Then again, thinking about it, most movies are these days.

Last edited:

WoodyStare

I actually love M. Night Shyamalan and find him to be one of the more interesting directors currently in the business. People always seem confused about how he keeps making movies and I always have to point out the insane profits a majority of his films have made.

The Sixth Sense:
Budget: $40 Million
Gross: $673 Million

Unbreakable:
Budget: $75 Million
Gross: $248 Million

Signs:
Budget: $72 Million
Gross: $408 Million

The Village:
Budget: $60 Million
Gross: $256 Million

It was only from The Lady in the Water to After Earth that he started experiencing any financial loss, but even The Happening was eventually profitable. Then you get to the point in his career when he started self financing all of his movies and he went back to making a lot of money.

The Visit:
Budget: $5 Million
Gross: $98 Million

Split:
Budget: $9 Million
Gross: $278 Million

Glass:
Budget: $20 Million
Gross: $247 Million

Old:
Budget: $18 Million
Gross: $90 Million

He can get his films distributed just with his name alone, and with the profits he’s made, he can make whatever he wants as long as he keeps the budgets reasonable and out of his own pocket. I find it admirable, and always look forward to what he does next. It’s like the guy pissed off internet nerds with his adaptation of The Last Airbender and they have that image of him as a director in their heads even 14 years later. These are probably the same people praising Shawn Levy lately after he directed nothing but horseshit for the last 20 years.

I thought Trap was a lot of fun though and unexpectedly hilarious at times. The third act does get a bit ridiculous but it remained suspenseful. Hartnett did an excellent job.

clarky

Gold Member
I actually love M. Night Shyamalan and find him to be one of the more interesting directors currently in the business. People always seem confused about how he keeps making movies and I always have to point out the insane profits a majority of his films have made.

The Sixth Sense:
Budget: $40 Million
Gross: $673 Million

Unbreakable:
Budget: $75 Million
Gross: $248 Million

Signs:
Budget: $72 Million
Gross: $408 Million

The Village:
Budget: $60 Million
Gross: $256 Million

It was only from The Lady in the Water to After Earth that he started experiencing any financial loss, but even The Happening was eventually profitable. Then you get to the point in his career when he started self financing all of his movies and he went back to making a lot of money.

The Visit:
Budget: $5 Million
Gross: $98 Million

Split:
Budget: $9 Million
Gross: $278 Million

Glass:
Budget: $20 Million
Gross: $247 Million

Old:
Budget: $18 Million
Gross: $90 Million

He can get his films distributed just with his name alone, and with the profits he’s made, he can make whatever he wants as long as he keeps the budgets reasonable and out of his own pocket. I find it admirable, and always look forward to what he does next. It’s like the guy pissed off internet nerds with his adaptation of The Last Airbender and they have that image of him as a director in their heads even 14 years later. These are probably the same people praising Shawn Levy lately after he directed nothing but horseshit for the last 20 years.

I thought Trap was a lot of fun though and unexpectedly hilarious at times. The third act does get a bit ridiculous but it remained suspenseful. Hartnett did an excellent job.
The Visit. Forgot about that one, It was pretty good if I remember rightly. Although I've only seen it once on release.

Last edited:
Say what you will about M. Night, but you always know you're watching one of his movies, and that can't be said for a lot of directors. For me, it's the presence of good hook, a "twist", and weirdly theatrical-but-flat line deliveries from his actors...like he tells them to hold back on the emotion. Like affable robots.

Haven't seen half of his stuff since The Village, but Split, Glass, and Knock at the Cabin were all solid 6-7 out of 10s for me. I'll check out Trap once it's streaming; the premise is really unique.

Say what you will about M. Night, but you always know you're watching one of his movies, and that can't be said for a lot of directors. For me, it's the presence of good hook, a "twist", and weirdly theatrical-but-flat line deliveries from his actors...like he tells them to hold back on the emotion. Like affable robots.

Haven't seen half of his stuff since The Village, but Split, Glass, and Knock at the Cabin were all solid 6-7 out of 10s for me. I'll check out Trap once it's streaming; the premise is really unique.

I'm happy that Josh Hartnett is making a big comeback. He's a great actor

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Twisters is ok. I prefer the first one, but this one is good fun if you like tornadoes and cgi.

Deerock71

I thought buddy movies were supposed to be dead. Turns out it just needed a couple of fresh young/old dudes (if Reynolds is still considered young at this point). It was a pretty entertaining flick.

Jinzo Prime

I thought buddy movies were supposed to be dead. Turns out it just needed a couple of fresh young/old dudes (if Reynolds is still considered young at this point). It was a pretty entertaining flick.
I don't think 47 is considered young. He's just a very funny guy who doesn't take himself seriously.

Top Bottom