• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weekend Box Office - Village on Top, Thunderbirds fail to make Top 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Memles

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2004&wknd=31&p=.htm

1 The Village BV $50,813,000 $50,813,000
2 The Bourne Supremacy Uni. $23,421,000 $98,083,000
3 The Manchurian Candidate Par. $20,200,000 $20,200,000
4 I, Robot Fox $10,050,000 $114,734,000
5 Spider-Man 2 Sony $8,500,000 $344,327,000
6 Catwoman WB $6,081,000 $29,412,000
7 Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle NL $5,150,000 $5,150,000
8 A Cinderella Story WB $4,691,000 $40,145,000
9 Fahrenheit 9/11 Lions $3,100,000 $109,433,000
10 Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy DW $3,100,000 $78,134,000
11 The Notebook NL $2,675,000 $68,244,000
12 Thunderbirds Uni. $2,654,000 $2,654,000

Thunderbirds cost over $57 Million, and proceeded to make less than 3.

The big story is the Village...it suffered fairly substantial drops from Friday to Sunday, as it seems Friday's word of mouth may have killed the movie dead. GAF, you did a fine job.

Amazing, though, it will still be a success for Disney, as it will likely break the $120 Million it cost with marketing (Assuming, by the large volume of ads, it cost $50 Million to market). The Manchurian Cadidate will have the harder time; it actually cost $10 Million more than the village. He may create would-be blockbusters, but he doesn't spend insane budgets in the process. Disney will be smart to keep him around, if for that rather than quality of his most recent film.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
hell yeah, thunderbirds bombed! they should've made it like the puppet version. at least then it would have been something more than a generic piece of shit kid-fused action movie.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Thunderbirds gross - Production costs & Marketing costs = Uh oh

Poor Bill Pullman...err Paxton...whatever. One of them just flopped.

Memles

eXxy said:
hell yeah, thunderbirds bombed! they should've made it like the puppet version. at least then it would have been something more than a generic piece of shit kid-fused action movie.

Nostalgia is where its at these days...it would have been guaranteed at least a hefty box office in the UK if they had simply used puppets, and made it a campy throwback.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
Memles said:
Nostalgia is where its at these days...it would have been guaranteed at least a hefty box office in the UK if they had simply used puppets, and made it a campy throwback.

exactly. it wouldn't have even had to be a good movie and it'd have done better than the live-action re-invention.

White Man

Being a huge fan of the original Manchurian Candidate, I was very satisfied with this remake. It's a great update, and very relevant to the events of today, as well. In a paranoid Philip K Dick sort of way. Meryl Streep (of whom I'm typically not a big fan) is amazing at parts of the film. She may even best Angela Landsbury in the original.

The movie better pick up in the box office. It deserves it. They picked a shitty weekend to release it.

Phoenix

ohamsie said:
I convinced my friends to see I, Robot instead of the Village when we went to the movies this weekend.

With only minutes to spare you have to choose between I, Robot and The Village. The pressure is intense and there are $8 dollars and several hours of valueable time on time line. A bad movie choice could destroy the evening....

*commercial break*

If you chose to spend your time seeing I, Robot instead of The Village, you made the right call. Congratulations!

Shazapp

At my theater, Manchurian Candidate is stomping all over The Village. I was expecting it to be the #1 movie this weekend. I guess not.

Oh, well.

Meier

Poor Disney.. and their "National Treasure" looks utterly godawful and I bet it cost them at least 75-100 to make from the trailer. This is going to be a terrible year for them minus The Incredibles.

bune duggy said:
without spoilers, is it possible to tell me why The Village is so terrible? Or is it integral to the plot?

Integral to the plot. Check the Village threads. We can't talk about how much The Village sucks anymore, we risk a banning.

Only $5 million for Harold and Kumar?! That's a fucking shame. :(

Don't feel sorry for Harold and Kumar's 5 million - it only cost 9 million to make. It's a funny movie, so maybe word of mouth will make it some more money. If not, maybe it will do well overseas, where it will be called - I kid you not - "Harold and Kumar Get the Munchies". :) Presumably the name change because people over there would have a big WTF at what White Castle is.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Ripclawe said:
WTF??? damn it........

Don't worry, that thing cost like 100 million to make. It still flopped, and Spider-Man 2 beat it out. All is right with the world. :D

Mega Man's Electric Sheep said:
Don't feel sorry for Harold and Kumar's 5 million - it only cost 9 million to make. It's a funny movie, so maybe word of mouth will make it some more money. If not, maybe it will do well overseas, where it will be called - I kid you not - "Harold and Kumar Get the Munchies". :) Presumably the name change because people over there would have a big WTF at what White Castle is.

:lol Great name. I didn't realize it was so cheap to make, but they must have spent a bundle on advertising, I've seen lots of TV previews for it. I think you're right, word of mouth will definitely carry this movie (and hopefully sink The Village!)

explodet

If not, maybe it will do well overseas, where it will be called - I kid you not - "Harold and Kumar Get the Munchies". :) Presumably the name change because people over there would have a big WTF at what White Castle is.
Hey, I'm from Canada and a handful of my friends had their big WTF moment. But I got nothing against either title, both sounds fine.

Gek54

Presumably the name change because people over there would have a big WTF at what White Castle is.

I am WTF at White Castle here. I have never seen one in my life. (Texas)

Crispy

WTF is White Castle anyway??

Yes I'm one of those clueless European guys...

Grizzlyjin

Crispy said:
WTF is White Castle anyway??

Yes I'm one of those clueless European guys...

Its a very crappy burger place. I've only been there once and it sucked more than Whataburger, another horrible fast food place. Just my opinions though.

Actually, Harold and Kumar had an advertising budget of $20 million, which is not that much as movies go. In comparison, the Village had $40 million marketing costs, and the Manchurian Candidate had $35 million. So I think Harold and Kumar will be profitable for them once all is said and done overseas and on DVD. I think it will do well as a rental.

And remember "Marijuana Kills!" :)

maharg

idspispopd
I don't think they needed to make Thunderbirds use puppets for it to be a correct nostalgia flick, but fully CG would have been fine. Just so long as they looked plasticy.

Willco

Hollywood Square
I think we should all take a wager now and bet if TEAM AMERICA: WORLD POLICE will make more money than NU-AGE THUNDERBIRDS.

DJ Demon J said:
Quit abusing your mod powers and accept that other people have opinions too. I haven't done anything wrong here.
You're needlessly bitching and acting like a fucking drama queen;

We can't talk about how much The Village sucks anymore, we risk a banning.
We hold the same fucking opinion regarding The Village, we both don't like it, and you know that. Bring any of this up again and you're gone. Don't even reply to this post. No more warnings.

Mike Works said:
You're needlessly bitching and acting like a fucking drama queen;

We hold the same fucking opinion regarding The Village, we both don't like it, and you know that. Bring any of this up again and you're gone. Don't even reply to this post. No more warnings.

Sorry Mike, I just think you're out of line and if you were a regular user you'd be gone long ago. I could just as easily have been a mod of the forum long ago, but I decided not to...

Let's recap the insults from you to me:

Mike Works said:
Quit being a fucking retard

Mike Works said:
Quit acting like a bitch

All I did was say that I didn't feel bad for those who wasted $9 to see the flick and hated it, after so many warnings--even if they didn't know the ending, the voluminous amount of commentary from self-proclaimed M. Night fans (myself enjoying the first 3 films a lot) should have tipped them off. It's an opinion, an unpopular one perhaps, but an opinion nonetheless and I did not break an forum rules expressing it. Do what you have to do, but the evidence is plainly here for all to see.

Tenguman

Grizzlyjin said:
Its a very crappy burger place. I've only been there once and it sucked more than Whataburger, another horrible fast food place. Just my opinions though.
WTF Whataburger owns. Though, I've never ate one outside of texas (where it came from) so those could suck.

DJ Demon J said:
Sorry Mike, I just think you're out of line and if you were a regular user you'd be gone long ago. I could just as easily have been a mod of the forum long ago, but I decided not to...
I can think of a at least a couple other mods who would've been gone long ago were they regular users. You could've been a mod, but you decided not to be. Your point is what exactly? That you're not a mod?

All I did was say that I didn't feel bad for those who wasted $9 to see the flick and hated it, after so many warnings--even if they didn't know the ending, the voluminous amount of commentary from self-proclaimed M. Night fans (myself enjoying the first 3 films a lot) should have tipped them off.
You're still not getting it. I, and many others, purposefully avoided all Village threads in order not to get spoiled. Thus, we did not see the 'many warnings' from the self-proclaimed M Night fans that were in these threads. This should not be a difficult concept to grasp.

Granted, it doesn't matter now.

I've haven't really been on the forum much recently and I'm almost afraid to ask this because it seems like I'll be opening a huge can of worms, but what is the thing about The Village?

From what I gather, without going into threads that could be spoilerific, the Patented M.Knight Twist is a bit pants. Is that the general complaint against it? I thought the same thing about Signs and while I felt the ending really sunk the movie I enjoyed the rest of it enough that if I had known the ending before hand I would have still seen it, you dig? So if anyone can confirm the same for The Village, then I'll probably still check it out when it releases here?

And I apologise if this is something that's been gone over and over already, I'm too worried about spoilers to head into any other threads. All I need is a basic answer to my above query and I'll go on my way.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Just FYI, I believe those marketing numbers are "guessed" by boxofficemojo.
As are many of their production budgets. Some are taken from actual official statements, but most aren't. Hell, just last weekend Warner Bros was claiming that Catwoman cost high 80s. BOM has it set at $100 million. Such figures can be taken as loose estimates often times. Some are true, some are estimates. They really should have that pointed out somewhere.

Die Squirrel Die said:
And I apologise if this is something that's been gone over and over already, I'm too worried about spoilers to head into any other threads. All I need is a basic answer to my above query and I'll go on my way.

The ending/twist seems to be the chief complaint.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Die Squirrel Die said:
From what I gather, without going into threads that could be spoilerific, the Patented M.Knight Twist is a bit pants. Is that the general complaint against it? I thought the same thing about Signs and while I felt the ending really sunk the movie I enjoyed the rest of it enough that if I had known the ending before hand I would have still seen it, you dig? So if anyone can.
I think the fact that people insist on calling his endings twists is the problem, and that they now expect a twist.

I didn't care for the ending to Signs. The whole faith thing just wasn't for me. I'm very much annoyed by resolutions that revolve around coincidence, and saying it's because of faith and religion just makes it worse in my book, but hey, I'm an athiest.

That said, I rather like The Village, although I can see a couple flaws in it after some prying. If you go into the film wanting only to be completely fooled and having a shocker of a twist, you'll be disappointed. Hell, I knew the ending going in. The film's strengths lie in the character studies, the acting, the romance, the set design, the cinematography, the sound design, the direction, etc. But if all you care about is being fooled, as many of Night's supposed fans are, then you might not find what you're looking for.

MoccaJava

Banned
By the way, Shrek 2 is $600,000 away from out-grossing E.T. for the title of the third highest grossing movie of all time for the US. It grossed about $1.1 million this weekend.

I convinced my friends that Garfield and King Arthur were both shit. But unfortunately they wouldn't take my advice and go see Fahrenheit 9/11 o well saw Spiderman2 again no harm done

Dan said:
That said, I rather like The Village, although I can see a couple flaws in it after some prying. If you go into the film wanting only to be completely fooled and having a shocker of a twist, you'll be disappointed. Hell, I knew the ending going in. The film's strengths lie in the character studies, the acting, the romance, the set design, the cinematography, the sound design, the direction, etc. But if all you care about is being fooled, as many of Night's supposed fans are, then you might not find what you're looking for.

Okay, interest is back. I guess I agree with the expectation of a twist/suprise, but then I do think he's brought it on himself. Perhaps he needs to turn his attention and style to something that is so unambigiously not-twisty that it actually becomes the suprise in and of itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom