• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Talk Tuah with Haliey Welch is a Top 10 podcast

RAÏSanÏa

Those top podcasts remind me of the proselytizing opinionated shows my grandparents listened to on the radio. They got so far from reality I'd say it contributed to my generation venerating shows like Sagan's Cosmos.

Those radio shows definitely contributed to my incredulity towards podcasts.

Outlier

We are in the end times, boys and girls...

Time to go live under a boulder for the next 20 years.

When some nobody becomes a celebrity overnight over a sex joke, we know humanity has lost it's senses.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Those top podcasts remind me of the proselytizing opinionated shows my grandparents listened to on the radio. They got so far from reality I'd say it contributed to my generation venerating shows like Sagan's Cosmos.

Those radio shows definitely contributed to my incredulity towards podcasts.
Matt Taibbi wrote a book about this called "Hate Inc.", and he wrote it before 2020 and all that came with it and all that has come since. It's far worse now than it was when he published it.

RAÏSanÏa

Matt Taibbi wrote a book about this called "Hate Inc.", and he wrote it before 2020 and all that came with it and all that has come since. It's far worse now than it was when he published it.
When things like Moon landings being faked are retreaded and still topical there's a sign of worsening, at least not getting better anyhow. It's not a simple error, that's a repeated denial of reality. That's what reminded me of the 70s talk radio. Capricorn One to my young eyes was obviously fiction, like Star Wars, but to adults that got caught in that type of thinking it looked plausible, and validated by the shows they listened to. Then they'd proclaim these poorly formed opinions as knowledgeable expertise, and it was..offputting to a young mind educated in elementary science. The thinking was obviously unconnected to reality, as were most of their other opinions from those sources. But they were stuck in it and insisted, and that trait is maybe what is contributing to making it worse. Doubling down and doubling down and doubling down...

Toons

Joe Rogan is back to thinking the moon landing is fake again, and berating random guests about it for an hour at a time, so I guess we’re in dire straits all around with what Americans listen to!

If you're entertaining and charismatic enough people will listen to you say absolutely anything. Lie to their face, gaslight em, insult them... do it with enough charm and folks will stick around.

In a way thats always been a little true.

Edit: also Candace owens being that high is something I was not aware of and I find it disgraceful but good for her I guess

Last edited:

Toons

Feel like she won’t quite maintain being that big but what do I know?

Only slightly related: Internet brain rot is real and while it's hardly unique to them I feel like it's completely fucking Gen Z at a much greater level and can't imagine Gen Alpha won't be worse. Not saying the sky is falling and we are doomed or anything, but we are doomed to be forever cringing at least lol

We stopped teaching young people how to think and reason and just taught them how to repeat whatever the person they admire/the authority figure in their life said. The problem we didn't anticipate is that a whole lot of people that are admired or are "authorities" are gd idiots.

And when you have a cult of personality it becomes harder to defy anything they say, even if it blatantly doesn't make sense(think emperors new clothes). So you've got terrence Howard saying his bizzare math nonsense like 1×1 is 2 and the top Podcaster on Spotify, a grown middle aged man saying something so completely and blatantly incorrect as to where an 11 year old grade schooler could easily correct it.

Now granted the moon landing conspiracies are nothing new. But the fact it hasn't died as a concept is telling in and of itself about how we operate not as rational beings but as feeling ones. In some ways thats preferable but in others it is dangerous. Sometimes both.

Cyberpunkd

This was a while back, more than 10 years ago, so I may be a bit fuzzy on the details but I remember hearing Neil deGrasse Tyson talk Rogan through all the ways we could be sure that the moon landing took place and Rogan then came around to the idea and accepted that it wasn’t staged. Him going back to deciding he no longer believes it is kinda damning.
Yes, because we need to JUSTIFY FUCKING MOON LANDING, amirite? This is not damning enough?

„Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience”.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Yup. Timecoded:

Matt Walsh is stuck defending the reality of the moon landing after going on Rogan to talk about his movie.

It's really grim out there, tbh, when you talk with average people. A lot of folks don't even believe space is real anymore. There's so much brain rot being consumed.

Christ I just listened to that episode the other day and was near yelling at the radio, ffs Joe! Stop spreading bullshit to your fanbase, lots of em are morons FFS.. was uncomfortable listening to Walsh trying to be diplomatic and refute it as nice as he can, definitely needed some Professor Dave on the show,at least he has the balls to call an idiot and idiot

DKehoe

Yes, because we need to JUSTIFY FUCKING MOON LANDING, amirite? This is not damning enough?

„Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience”.
Yeh, we shouldn't need to. A single weirdo going on about conspiracy theories isn't worth your time. But in that case with Rogan years ago I think someone like Neil deGrasse Tyson, whose primary role is to be an educator, engaging with him is worthwhile. Back then the podcast wasn't as big as it is now but it still had a sizable audience who were hearing Rogan make claims based on half-baked "evidence" and might start adopting those views. So having someone publicly go through those claims and debunk them in a clear and understandable way can help nip those kind of ideas in the bud. The balance of the effort being put in vs the potential impact it could have can mean it's worthwhile. Unfortunately, Rogan has slid back into that stuff. A healthy amount of skepticism is good but I think a lot of conspiracy theorists get a kick out of being able to say "you don't really believe that do you?" They get to be the smart ones who aren't fooled by the things that pretty much everyone else accepts as true.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Ugh just the way he looks in that thumbnail screams smug dumbass.

I wonder what his explanation is for GPS. He'd probably say something like "well video games don't need it, what's that tell you"
That’s Matt Walsh in the thumbnail, not Joe Rogan! Matt defended the reality of the moon landing to Joe, and did a good job standing his ground, despite not having a scientific background.

It’s a more straightforward thing to shut down if you have a STEM background since you can address the claims directly, e.g., yes the Van Allen belt exposes you to radiation from charged particles when you pass through, but the Apollo astronauts passed through it at 25,000 mph. Radiation harm is dose dependent, which is a function of intensity and time. It’s not good for you but similar to getting a chest x-ray, totally non lethal for the time spent in it. The overall dose of radiation was higher after leaving the Earth’s vicinity since cosmic rays aren’t being blocked by the atmosphere and magnetosphere, and they spent much more time out in space for the week getting to the Moon and back.

BlackTron

That’s Matt Walsh in the thumbnail, not Joe Rogan! Matt defended the reality of the moon landing to Joe, and did a good job standing his ground, despite not having a scientific background.

It’s a more straightforward thing to shut down if you have a STEM background since you can address the claims directly, e.g., yes the Van Allen belt exposes you to radiation from charged particles when you pass through, but the Apollo astronauts passed through it at 25,000 mph. Radiation harm is dose dependent, which is a function of intensity and time. It’s not good for you but similar to getting a chest x-ray, totally non lethal for the time spent in it. The overall dose of radiation was higher after leaving the Earth’s vicinity since cosmic rays aren’t being blocked by the atmosphere and magnetosphere, and they spent much more time out in space for the week getting to the Moon and back.

Oh man I posted this first thing in the morning on my phone after thinking man Seth Rogan looks different. I better watch the video first next time, my face probably looked dumber than the thumbnail when I posted this.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Christ I just listened to that episode the other day and was near yelling at the radio, ffs Joe! Stop spreading bullshit to your fanbase, lots of em are morons FFS.. was uncomfortable listening to Walsh trying to be diplomatic and refute it as nice as he can, definitely needed some Professor Dave on the show,at least he has the balls to call an idiot and idiot
I agree but having the discussion so we can definitely find the point of nonsense is good. I listed to JRE all the time. You're not going to get some packaged news well versed discussion. That's why I like it. You can get your relevant share of info of all things throughout all sorts of sources and podcasts. It's a good age minus the stupid censorship.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

I find it oddly fascinating that Rogan is using the Van Allen belt, among other things, as contributing evidence towards his skepticism, vis a vis a lens of "don't just trust what you're told; you must analyze it yourself". However, the same scientific method and sources that demonstrate the Van Allen belt, also demonstrates landing on the moon. If he's going to question the authority of the science behind traversing through the Van Allen belts, he would logically also have to question the foundation behind the Van Allen belts existing in the first place.

Cherry picking the premise to fit a conclusion is not sound reasoning.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I find it oddly fascinating that Rogan is using the Van Allen belt, among other things, as contributing evidence towards his skepticism, vis a vis a lens of "don't just trust what you're told; you must analyze it yourself". However, the same scientific method and sources that demonstrate the Van Allen belt, also demonstrates landing on the moon. If he's going to question the authority of the science behind traversing through the Van Allen belts, he would logically also have to question the foundation behind the Van Allen belts existing in the first place.

Cherry picking the premise to fit a conclusion is not sound reasoning.
Conspiratorial thinking, scientific illiteracy, too many psychedelics, too many concussions, being friends with Eddie Bravo, etc. Take your pick…

EverydayBeast

ChatGPT 0.1
We’re producing more viral sensations today, we saw it with “hide your kids hide your wife”, saw it with “catch me outside” girl, and now Hawk Tua girl.

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief and Nosiest Dildo Archeologist
Come At Me Bro How Bow Dat GIF

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
This was a while back, more than 10 years ago, so I may be a bit fuzzy on the details but I remember hearing Neil deGrasse Tyson talk Rogan through all the ways we could be sure that the moon landing took place and Rogan then came around to the idea and accepted that it wasn’t staged. Him going back to deciding he no longer believes it is kinda damning.
Didn't know that he went all-in and mentioned it on his latest comedy special, too. Saw this clip come up:

Haven't watched the whole special since the buzz is pretty dire.

He respects, Musk, but thinks the moon landing was fake? My eyes are crossed, right now...
I don't think he does, after walsh responds to him he says "I'm not saying we didn't go to the moon", and later when walsh talks about hoax believers, he says he's not one of those.
I think he's just entertaining the things he thinks are weird about the moon landing, not that it didn't happen at all.

JCK75

The problem with the moon landing is there are some things that were faked and that hurts the credibility of the source, but I fully believe we went there.. the problem is the people feeding him this info just lie about every part of it to where it makes it sound suspect until your realize we have been back several times.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Rogan is, and will always be an absolute tool and an idiot. A living proof you don’t need to be smart to be successful, just lucky. The guy is dumb as a log, it’s obvious the moment you listen to his podcast.
It's so strange to hear this nasty sentiment directed at Joe Rogan. I assumed most people (guys?) had one or two friends in high school or college that believed in conspiracy theories. Never in my wildest dreams would I consider not liking them, or not spending time with them, because they believe in these absurd theories. There's so much more to a person than his or her most bizarre beliefs.

I think this might be a blue collar, working class thing. The common man (Joe Rogans target audience) doesn't seem to judge others as much.

Last edited:

Aesius

But have any of you guys done DMT???
I remember when Joe first went "viral" on the internet in like 2005/2006 talking about DMT. I'm pretty sure it was pre-YouTube or maybe during its first year or two of existence. He went on some rant about how humanity was a cancer on the planet and if you look at big cities from the air, it looks like cancer growing and spreading. Then he somehow tied all of that into DMT.

He's basically been the same guy the entire time he's been famous, which is part of what has made him so successful. Even with all his money and influence now, he still can't resist diving into conspiracy theories and "two stoned guys on the couch" discussions.

jason10mm

Gold Member
The problem with the moon landing is there are some things that were faked and that hurts the credibility of the source, but I fully believe we went there.. the problem is the people feeding him this info just lie about every part of it to where it makes it sound suspect until your realize we have been back several times.
VnRm3hg.gif

Controversial opinion for sure. I don't think he cares much about any of this stuff, just shooting the shit, loving life.

He strikes me as a guy that would never take an orbital flight though :p

Yup. Timecoded:

Matt Walsh is stuck defending the reality of the moon landing after going on Rogan to talk about his movie.

It's really grim out there, tbh, when you talk with average people. A lot of folks don't even believe space is real anymore. There's so much brain rot being consumed.

And yet, people still trust him and Bill Maher more than anyone in the media (this was a recent poll, not me making up hyperbole), because they'll actually criticize extremes on all sides of a given issue, and have a respectful conversation with people they disagree with. That sort of thing is a rare commodity these days.

However, yeah, this was very disappointing to see. I get that the government and media did a lot of things over covid to make people lose faith in their institutions, and pretty much no one was attacked more than Rogan, but you still have to still treat everything with logic and reasoning rather than a default state of blanket distrust. That's just not healthy.

Didn't know that he went all-in and mentioned it on his latest comedy special, too. Saw this clip come up:
I saw the special first. Rogan continues to be a quite mediocre comedian, unfortunately. However, I thought Rogan going all-in was when he mentioned the moon landing doubts on his show. In the comedy special, I thought he was mostly kidding.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
It's so strange to hear this nasty sentiment directed at Joe Rogan. I assumed most people (guys?) had one or two friends in high school or college that believed in conspiracy theories. Never in my wildest dreams would I consider not liking them, or not spending time with them, because they believe in these absurd theories. There's so much more to a person than his or her most bizarre beliefs.

I think this might be a blue collar, working class thing. The common man (Joe Rogans target audience) doesn't seem to judge others as much.
Surround yourself with brain rot and you will become brain rot. Doesn’t mean Joe’s a bad guy though. On the contrary, he seems to really care about his friends and proactively elevates everyone in his life. Very respectable behavior.

But never in my life have I seen so many people believe in such incredibly dumb things as in current_year. Joe is not helping matters with what he puts out there. Same goes for most of the rest of the people in the top 10.

Top Bottom