• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wet Shaving |OT| The Cutting Edge of Grooming

Entropia

No One Remembers
I use only face lathering, I like it a lot. Maybe your brush is too wet? Have you tried watching the video that's posted on the store page you linked to?

Nope, didn't know it existed and oddly enough it's the same video that yyzjohn posted.

Editing so as not to double post:

1) Will try a different lathering technique tonight.
2) Ordered this blade sampler pack today http://www.fendrihan.com/double-edg...-astra-merkur-derby-p-230.html?cPath=116_4_14 curious to see if I can actually notice a difference in them!
3) Anyone try this soap yet? http://shavingyeti.com/ They just launched their site, getting a bit of discussion in reddit's DE Shaving sub-redidt, /r/wicked_edge. Was going to order, but $14 to ship to Canada put me off.

Just had my first shave with my new razor and it was fantastic, the Mach 3 is in the bin and I can't believe I haven't done this sooner. I used a derby blade but think I will change to a different one for my next shave.

Kadayi

Banned
Been using an Edwin Jagger for a few months now and honestly will never go back. Way better shave, an actual pleasure rather than a chore and a hell of a lot cheaper than using multi-blades.

Been using an Edwin Jagger for a few months now and honestly will never go back. Way better shave, an actual pleasure rather than a chore and a hell of a lot cheaper than using multi-blades.

I agree, I'm actually looking forward to my next shave and I can already feel the difference especially around my neck where I always get irritation and ingrown hairs. So glad I stumbled across this thread.

Giard

Reminder for the new page: I'm going to be adding new content to the OP, probably next weekend. If anyone has any links, videos, anything they would like me to add, just say so. I'll probably re-do the banners so it'll be prettier when using the dark theme.

Hey gaf, this thread reminded me of something : my great grandfather was a barber. He had a hairdresser salon before and after world war 2 in normandy, France. I think we have some pictures of him and my grandmother in front of the salon when it was destroyed by the US bombing normandy during june 1944. It was rebuilt after, and he worked there all his life.
Anyway I thought I could find some razors while going to my grandmother house. She passed away last july and almost all her appartment stayed as it was. I searched and found a lot of cool things like very old photos from the twenties, birth certificates from the XIX century. And I found one single razor.

exAblI8.jpg

It's a handmade french razor made in the center of France, a place well knowed for their blacksmiths. It's a model "Le Merle Blanc" (the white blackbird). The adress on the box is no longer used, it's a bakery now. I have no idea when it was done as there is no date on the box.
It's probably not one of the razors my great grandfather used. He was also selling razors in the salon, and I found a very old label on the razor indicating it was probably one he was selling.

When I asked my aunt about razors used back in the day, she told me everything was probably trashed more than 20 years ago when my grandfather and grandmother emptied the house of my great grandfather and mother after their death. There was a full box of razors, cisors, manual hair clipper, and it was trashed because well... It was the late eighties and all this had no value at all (and still has no value).

More photos : http://imgur.com/a/jIcxY

End of the story. ^^

Taborcarn

I'm not as knowledgeable about vintage straight razors, but that certainly is a beauty! I say get it professionally honed and try it out.

Great story, and lovely looking blade. I'd be neat if you got it cleaned up, and started using yourself. It looks to be in pretty good shape.

Is this recommended for shaving the head?

I tried using a DE on my head, but I found it too time consuming and inconvenient. I now use a HeadBlade with some cheap two blade cartridges. I do it in the shower, and the whole process is just way, way better.

Esch

Banned
Just got some pre-shave oil. Not necessary, but boy does it provide that extra layer of insurance you need if you wake up woozy in the morn and can't afford any cuts. I got the Art of Shaving oil in a kit, anyone recommend any cheaper everyday ones?

LogicStep

Great story, and lovely looking blade. I'd be neat if you got it cleaned up, and started using yourself. It looks to be in pretty good shape.

I tried using a DE on my head, but I found it too time consuming and inconvenient. I now use a HeadBlade with some cheap two blade cartridges. I do it in the shower, and the whole process is just way, way better.
www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00A4WN0TW/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1391786835&sr=8-1

That? Better in what sense? And in the shower, does that mean you don't use any shaving cream? I need an easier way to shave my head.

www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00A4WN0TW/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1391786835&sr=8-1

That? Better in what sense? And in the shower, does that mean you don't use any shaving cream? I need an easier way to shave my head.

I have an older model, but yep, that's the one.

I get the best shave with it, I get the fastest shave with it, I don't need a mirror, it'll take cheap, generic branded two blade cartridges. You can use whatever soap/cream you want. I've used everything from fancy shaving soaps, to canned cream, to bar soap, to hair conditioner.

For me, the HeadBlade has been great. I rid my face shaving routine of the expensive Gillette etc crap years ago, and believe me, I'd love to not have to deal with cartridges at all, but it just works too well for me to say no.

EDIT: Btw, I found hair conditioner to clog my pores and create ingrown hairs which really suck when they're on your head. I also use one of the homemade Tendskin recipes as a head aftershave. The shower, the headblade, proper soap/cream, and the tendskin recipe gave the best shave, and completely eliminated ingrown hairs. There's really nothing more I could ask for.

Arksy

So I've been wet shaving with a double edged safety razer for about a year now...here are my observations.

1. It's still really fucking difficult to shave the top of the lip, especially near the nose. It never quite reaches what a normal razor would.

2. You need to be careful every time you insert a new blade, the first shave with a new blade always turns your face into a shredded mess.

3. It feels a lot fucking better on your skin than a safety razor.

4. I get no more ingrown hairs, I got a Gillette fusion for christmas and I decided to give it a shot. Holy shit. I had a bunch of irritated ingrown hairs all around my lips...especially the hairs that grow really close to my lips on the side. It was painful.

5. You normally have to do two passes whereas a normal triple bladed razor takes a single pass.

6. King of Shaves shaving oil sucks. Big time. Somersets is much better but neither are anywhere near as good as a normal shaving cream or gel. That lather. I'm yet to use shaving soaps.

To anyone who is on the fence, do it. Get a double bladed safety razor or a single bladed razor, I guarantee that you won't regret it.

Yay new things to test out in the next couple of days. I bought a different pre-shave cream this time it is "3P Cream". Only heard good things about it. I currently use one from Proraso and I am happy with it but I am still in the "lets try out new things" phase.

What I am most curious about is my new Silvertip Fibre brush - until now I used a cheap boar brush so I guess there will be quite a difference. I thought a long time about if I should go pure/best/super badger or "artificial". I guess with my brush handling and inexperience the later option seems to be the better way. Furthermore I like that the Silvertip Fibre brush is in a small aluminium case for traveling. Last but not least I won a Castle Forbes shaving cream (30€ at retail ...) which seems to be quite good aswell. When I got everything I will report back :)

Giard

Thinking about making the switch, but need some beginner advice.

Razor - Edwin Jagger De89lbl Double Edge Safety Razor Chrome Plated Lined Detail, Chrome
Brush - Was thinking about the Tweezerman, but don't want it to fall apart on me
Soap/Cream - really have no idea here

You could get a great boar brush for about $20 if a Tweezerman scares you. Omega has some good ones. Whipped Dog makes great badger brushes and they're cheap.

As for the soap, RazoRock is great quality at great prices. Just choose a scent you like.

CobbFC09

You could get a great boar brush for about $20 if a Tweezerman scares you. Omega has some good ones. Whipped Dog makes great badger brushes and they're cheap.

As for the soap, RazoRock is great quality at great prices. Just choose a scent you like.
I'll probably end up getting the Tweezerman since it's pretty cheap and this is my first time. It's also available from Amazon which I prefer.

Time to look for a $10 shaving cream or soap.

EDIT - Searched around Amazon a bit and came across some stuff I'll probably order tomorrow.

Escali 100% Pure Badger Shaving Brush - $12.95

Proraso Shaving Soap, Sensitive 5.2 oz (147g) - $8.81

Taborcarn

I agree with Giard, neither the Tweezerman or the Escali are very good and will probably need to be replaced within short order. The Omega or Semogue boars are still inexpensive, and some models can be found on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CB8Q4Y/?tag=neogaf0e-20

As far badgers, I wouldn't go any cheaper than the Whipped Dog ones already mentioned.

A little bit more expensive are the WSP brushes, also available through Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C4J099C/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Once you go above $50, the badger options really open up more.

I have a question, ShaveGAF.

I recently bought a straight razor from The Art of Shaving near me, and I've been straight shaving on and off for a couple months now, but I'm struggling to find a place where I can find replacement blades for a straight razor. I'm looking for the long razor blades that are designed for a straight razor, not Gillette blades for a safety razor.

Is there anyplace that sells straight razor blades other than online or The Art of Shaving?
I'm nowhere near the retail store and I dont want to buy razor blades online without at first looking at them.

Taborcarn

Can you post a picture or the model of the kind you got? Different types take different blades. If you have the Dovo Shavette, it should take regular DE blades snapped in half. Just keep it in the wrapper and fold them along the center, they actually snap pretty easily. Otherwise there are pre-snapped ones like this:
http://www.razorbladesandmore.com/content/perma-sharp-professional-single-edge-razor-blades

As for buying blades locally, choices are pretty limited. Pharmacies or dollar stores may have them, but they are usually rebranded Dorco blades from Korea, and not the best quality. My advice would be to get a sampler pack of different blade brands online, so you can find a type you like then make a larger order.

Vio-Lence

Banned
upgraded to a Merkur Futur 2 weeks ago. Big improvement from my Edwin Jagger. Had to replace the EJ because the threads of the head were trashed. The Merkur is built like a tank. Razor for life.

Can you post a picture or the model of the kind you got? Different types take different blades. If you have the Dovo Shavette, it should take regular DE blades snapped in half. Just keep it in the wrapper and fold them along the center, they actually snap pretty easily. Otherwise there are pre-snapped ones like this:
http://www.razorbladesandmore.com/content/perma-sharp-professional-single-edge-razor-blades

As for buying blades locally, choices are pretty limited. Pharmacies or dollar stores may have them, but they are usually rebranded Dorco blades from Korea, and not the best quality. My advice would be to get a sampler pack of different blade brands online, so you can find a type you like then make a larger order.

Yup, the Dovo Shavette. I want to use my Gillette blades but I dot like the blade only coming halfway on the safety guide. Seems like good long blades are near impossible to find retail.

Instead of lurking on here I decided post in this thread. The other day while on a little getaway to Las Vegas I discovered the art of shaving shop. I got for the first time a straight razor shave from the barber there and wow what an experience. I was hooked! Previously my shave routine was with a fusion cartridge in the shower with soap and not shaving cream. I went all out in buying quite the setup with the 4 elements of the perfect shave kit and the muhle safety razor with some merkur blades. Very excited to try this tonight when I get back home. I've always since I started shaving have had problems with razor bumps and burn on my neck hoping this will help.

Instead of lurking on here I decided post in this thread. The other day while on a little getaway to Las Vegas I discovered the art of shaving shop. I got for the first time a straight razor shave from the barber there and wow what an experience. I was hooked! Previously my shave routine was with a fusion cartridge in the shower with soap and not shaving cream. I went all out in buying quite the setup with the 4 elements of the perfect shave kit and the muhle safety razor with some merkur blades. Very excited to try this tonight when I get back home. I've always since I started shaving have had problems with razor bumps and burn on my neck hoping this will help.

Straight Razor shaving is tough shit if you've never tried it before.

My advice is to stay away from major veins and arteries.

Var

I have been thinking of trying out shaving with a straight razor, but it seems like just about everywhere is sold out of the ones I have seen recommended for beginners. Is there some kind of shortage or something? Anyone know a good place I can pick up a good starter set that is in-stock?

Taborcarn

I think there actually is a shortage on those preferred types of steel, or so I've heard.

If you don't mind vintage, there's Whipped Dog. They won't be pretty, be they'll be in good working order and sharpened. It's the cheapest you'll probably find them too.
http://www.whippeddog.com/products/view/sight-unseen-razor

Vintage Blades has some Dovo and Boker kits in stock:
http://www.vintagebladesllc.com/shop/Basic-Straight-Razor-Sets/

And Straight Razor Designs seems to only have the Thiers-Issard in stock, those are a bit of a step up in price:
http://www.straightrazordesigns.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=117

Var

I think there actually is a shortage on those preferred types of steel, or so I've heard.

If you don't mind vintage, there's Whipped Dog. They won't be pretty, be they'll be in good working order and sharpened. It's the cheapest you'll probably find them too.
http://www.whippeddog.com/products/view/sight-unseen-razor

Vintage Blades has some Dovo and Boker kits in stock:
http://www.vintagebladesllc.com/shop/Basic-Straight-Razor-Sets/

And Straight Razor Designs seems to only have the Thiers-Issard in stock, those are a bit of a step up in price:
http://www.straightrazordesigns.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=117

Thanks! The Vintage Blade kits look pretty good.

CobbFC09

I agree with Giard, neither the Tweezerman or the Escali are very good and will probably need to be replaced within short order. The Omega or Semogue boars are still inexpensive, and some models can be found on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CB8Q4Y/?tag=neogaf0e-20

As far badgers, I wouldn't go any cheaper than the Whipped Dog ones already mentioned.

A little bit more expensive are the WSP brushes, also available through Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C4J099C/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Once you go above $50, the badger options really open up more.
Wish I had seen this sooner. Thanks for the suggestions though.

Did my first shave last night and boy was it great. Definitely tough to reach up near the bottom of your nose, but everywhere else was fine. Had a couple nicks in a few places but that was it. Glad I made the switch.

Tablo

Ah I really need to get the confidence to do this, I just use shaving cream and disposable blades. Don't really use aftershave too, just wash my face after, sometimes with foamy stuff from Aveda. I'm just scared of nicking my face lol.

Finally settled on a blade type and got some new soap, that should be me set for a long while. Also got a styptic pencil after getting a small nick then bleeding for 45mins!

Azulsky

So ive been looking for a reason to get into wet shaving and my Braun finally died.

Can anyone recommended a DE starter set thatt is sub $100.

Cr0wn0

For about 10 years I used a Merkur Futur and got what I thought was a decent shave. I picked up a 1960 super speed a few weeks ago and used it yesterday. Probably the best shave I've ever had.I used the same technique blades and brush that I always have but the result was way different.

Do you guys have use multiple brushes? Are boar better for certain things ? I have a Simpson super badger right now but I thought about adding another brush into the rotation.

Giard

So ive been looking for a reason to get into wet shaving and my Braun finally died.

Can anyone recommended a DE starter set thatt is sub $100.

ItalianBarber has some good beginner kits.
http://www.italianbarber.com/facebook-promo
I'd go with the one priced at $49.99 or $59.99. You'd also want some blade samples.

Do you guys have use multiple brushes? Are boar better for certain things ? I have a Simpson super badger right now but I thought about adding another brush into the rotation.

Some people prefer boar brushes for harder soaps.

Tokubetsu

Cross post from GAF-Hop but on recommendations from Eschaton I jumped into wet shaving with a safety razor, results:

(I'm using the eucalyptus & menthol proraso, and the merkur long handled safety razor with the blade it came with and a tweezerman brush)

My skin feels fucking amazing. Smells great too with the menthol shit.

I used the merkur blade that came with the handle but there was some problem areas. Namely the corners bottom jaw area (near your ears) I did a poor job on. I also did a poor job of my jaw line edge basically. I couldn't figure out how to properly tackle that versus my old mach 5 ways, couldnt tell if the blade was touching my skin, if I had used too much lather etc and I didn't want to cut my self.

I also used too much soap I think because it was taking a bit lather up but I think I got a handle on it once I "restarted' and went at it again. Live and learn!

Definitely gonna keep this up but I think I might try a different blade?

Also, I need after shave ideas. I'm thinking balm rather than splash because I think I lean more towards to sensitive skin side of things.

DJ_Lae

My wife picked me up a surprise gift for our anniversary (I knew a handmade shaving bowl was coming but not this) - a razor with a handmade purple heart and malachite handle. It feels really nice, especially coming from the cheap Lord I've used for years.

ibhaavBiPZTdGI.jpg

Colour doesn't quite come through in the photo, but I appreciate that the handle is light and the head is on the heavier side, as it makes it easier to control.

Azulsky

So i have been shaving every other day with my DE and I use ASB but is there some cream or treatment I should put on my face on the off days?

Taborcarn

I like Aveeno Men's Face Scrub, it's a bit abrasive but less so than other scrubs. It's good for off days.

My wife picked me up a surprise gift for our anniversary (I knew a handmade shaving bowl was coming but not this) - a razor with a handmade purple heart and malachite handle. It feels really nice, especially coming from the cheap Lord I've used for years.

ibhaavBiPZTdGI.jpg

Colour doesn't quite come through in the photo, but I appreciate that the handle is light and the head is on the heavier side, as it makes it easier to control.

That's a cool handle, congrats!

rykomatsu

Didn't realize this OT existed :) Straight razor user here - Dovo Palisander

Cat used my old brush as a toy and it disappeared so got myself a 2-band badger brush as a gift with a cocobolo handle. Quite sexy looking if I may say so myself...24mm I believe is the size...

2-band-badger.jpg

Zizbuka

Banned
Wanted to give the safety razor a try, picked up a razor from China for $2 (yes, that two dollars with free shipping), a box of 100 Astra blades for $8. Figure I'm set for a while, no way I'd go back to the expensive 5 blade monstrosities.

Thought I'd pick up a better razor, now that I know I'm sticking with safety, but this one's just fine. I'm really surprised more razors aren't butterfly, that's my only complaint. Changing blades feels cumbersome, especially in the shower, but I'm only on my second blade.

Razor: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0050HO9MI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Top Bottom