• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wet Shaving |OT| The Cutting Edge of Grooming

I just received my stuff :).

Will be using it today, wish me luck.

edit: Just shaved. It didn't go as smoothly as I thought...these razor don't fuck around. I used an Astra SP blade and got a decent amount of nicks and razor burns but I think it's because I fucked up the lather and didn't make it thick enough. Should I stick with the Astra SP next time i shave or try another blade?

That first shave is the same for everyone. Your technique will improve, and your face will adjust. Just keep doing what you're doing. It won't always be like this, but expect at least a dozen shaves before you and your face consider it second nature.

X-Frame

Does anyone have any recommendations on a good travel case to fit all my stuff?

I am used to bringing just my electric razor, but now I have the safety razor, shaving cream/soap, brush, razors, aftershave; and what do I do about needing a coffee cup to make the lather?

Thanks!

jcm

I am used to bringing just my electric razor, but now I have the safety razor, shaving cream/soap, brush, razors, aftershave; and what do I do about needing a coffee cup to make the lather?

Thanks!

I use this Dopp bag to carry everything. I keep my razor in this case, and my brush in this case. Truefitt & Hill sampler packs make excellent travel sizes, but I can usually fit a 100ml tube in my case too. I use whatever cup is in the room to lather with, but they almost always suck because they're too small. Oh, and DE blades are prohibited for carryons by the TSA. They'll take it if they find it.

Edit: Those Amazon links are for reference, but the Dopp bag is much cheaper elsewhere. Shop around!

Thanks!

I'm a face latherer anyways, so no cup. Arko stick, razor, brush, and aftershave in a random travel bag.

single blade or multi blade?

Most people here are using double edge on safety razors.

DE89Lbl-and-Blades-KP.gif

overcast

So I'm strongly considering a switch to wet shaving. Last few weeks have been hell with disposable razors. Shaving has been painful, and I've been getting razor bumps.

I plan on getting the Edwin Jagger shown above. I don't know which cream to get, and should I grab the Witch Hazel for after the shave?

So I'm strongly considering a switch to wet shaving. Last few weeks have been hell with disposable razors. Shaving has been painful, and I've been getting razor bumps.

I plan on getting the Edwin Jagger shown above. I don't know which cream to get, and should I grab the Witch Hazel for after the shave?

Proraso is a great cream to start with. I'm currently using the sensitive variety; might be best for your razor bumps.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001JHEY14/?tag=neogaf0e-20

And witch hazel is okay but you might want a balm, again for your bumps. I've tried Nivea in the past and enjoyed it.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GCQC6S/?tag=neogaf0e-20

This thread. I remember seeing the title and thinking, "you know, I always wondered what those blades were used for" Seriously, I saw DE blade pictures everywhere and had no idea what they were used for.

I'm pretty hipster though. I still use pomades and listen to 50's and 60's music.

I always wondered what they were for also, and when I found out, I always wondered how the hell did people use those kind of razors. They looked so confusing. About a year ago, maybe less? I started shaving in the shower with a cartridge razor and it was insane how much better it was. Such a smooth shave. I sorta fell in love with shaving then, it stopped being such a chore and it just kept going from there. Now I'm shaving with safety razors and experimenting with different blade assortment packs. It's odd how I think about it all the time now, heh.

Ryan_

Well, just had my first wet shave. Bought a Merkur HD, Merkur Blades, a rather cheap Omega badger hair brush and Prorasso Sandal Wood Shaving Cream.

It didn't go too bad. I did the downwards shave two times, like Mantic59 told me and it did feel a lot better than my Gilette Fusion I used before. It was still searching for the right angle, though, especially around the chin when you have to go down to your neck. Shit is difficult. But all in all, nice experience, especially with some Bonobo in the background.

Couple of quick questions for next time:

- I got a lot less lather from the Prorasso Sandal Wood tube than I expected. Could it be that I used too much water? Or is my technique/brush?

- How do you clean your razer inbetween shaving rounds? And after the shave?

- I still have these little rash-like bubbles on one side of my face from a horrible shave a week ago. They're almost not visible but still there nonetheless. Any idea how I can get rid of it? Or will it disappear if I stick to wet shaving?

- Is a cold splash and some classic Nivea cream good as an after-shave treatment?

I want to thank the OP and everyone else who made this thread happen. It seriously is a big improvement for me and without you guys I would never have thought about this as an actual option or find the courage to actually purchase everything and try it out. This really is the beauty and magic of GAF as it goes way beyond games and their its subcultures.

Ryan_

It's a shame to see how dead this topic has become.
If I knew, I probably wouldn't have bought my set and taken the plunge.

Oh well.

Taborcarn

Have you continued to keep it up? Has it been working ok for you?

To answer some of your questions:
It's hard to make a judgement about your lather without seeing it, but it's possible there was too much water. Try starting with a drier brush and add a couple drops at a time as you go.

I fill up my sink, and swish the razor head in it to wash off the lather as I go. Afterwards I put it under some running water and pat it dry with a towel. Once a week I use some scrubbing bubbles on it to dissolve any soap scum.

Continuing to wet shave and improving technique should help with bumps. Also check out a product called Tend Skin if it's really bad.

That's a fine post-shave routine. Nivea also makes very good aftershave lotions.

ramyeon

Oh well.
While it's surely a shame the thread isn't so active anymore, that shouldn't affect your decision to switch to wet shaving! Keep it up and those skin irritations will most likely go away, ever since I made the switch it's just nice to have a comfortable shave to look forward to every morning.

Ryan_

Have you continued to keep it up? Has it been working ok for you?

To answer some of your questions:
It's hard to make a judgement about your lather without seeing it, but it's possible there was too much water. Try starting with a drier brush and add a couple drops at a time as you go.

I fill up my sink, and swish the razor head in it to wash off the lather as I go. Afterwards I put it under some running water and pat it dry with a towel. Once a week I use some scrubbing bubbles on it to dissolve any soap scum.

Continuing to wet shave and improving technique should help with bumps. Also check out a product called Tend Skin if it's really bad.

That's a fine post-shave routine. Nivea also makes very good aftershave lotions.

While it's surely a shame the thread isn't so active anymore, that shouldn't affect your decision to switch to wet shaving! Keep it up and those skin irritations will most likely go away, ever since I made the switch it's just nice to have a comfortable shave to look forward to every morning.

Thanks for the replies!

Well, the second shave I had was a little worse than the first. This time I hadn't used any water so the lather dried up rather quickly and made it for a lot more resistance.

The third time was better again since I used some more water but still I believe I don't get enough latter for the amount of cream I put in my bowl.
The shaving itself is ok. Especially around the chin is a bit more painfull and resisting. The cheeks are pure bliss to shave though.
All in all, it's a matter of keeping at it, I guess.

We'll see how it goes tomorrow!

Oh well.

I'm not too worried about this thread dying down. Personally, I'm still trying to save up enough to take the plunge. People might not post here like they used to, but that is not deterring me. There has been a lot good info poste in here, and the continuous feedback/suggestions/encouragement keeps my hopes up.

overcast

Proraso is a great cream to start with. I'm currently using the sensitive variety; might be best for your razor bumps.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001JHEY14/?tag=neogaf0e-20

And witch hazel is okay but you might want a balm, again for your bumps. I've tried Nivea in the past and enjoyed it.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GCQC6S/?tag=neogaf0e-20
About to grab this plus the razor I mentioned this weekend when I get paid.

Do I need a brush right away or can I just apply with my hands? I don't really have the money for a brush.

stn

Soooooo, I've been trimming "down there" with a razor. Process is slow, methodical, and I apply lots of soap. Any other recommendations? Thanks.

Do I need a brush right away or can I just apply with my hands? I don't really have the money for a brush.

I mean a brush is pretty integral to the wet shaving process. It helps tremendously at softening the hair and making it easier to shave.

But for hands, use your fingers and apply the soap in a circular motion on your face. That always got it to be lathery for me.

A Tweezerman brush is $10-$15 and is perfectly fine. They're carried in supermarkets, drug stores, Amazon, etc.

Giard

Sorry to those who are disappointed that the thread is not really active anymore. Some posters have tried to contact the mods so that they could move the thread back to off-topic, but they refuse to. Off-topic community is a good idea for popular megathreads, but here we have under 10 frequent posters.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Sorry to those who are disappointed that the thread is not really active anymore. Some posters have tried to contact the mods so that they could move the thread back to off-topic, but they refuse to. Off-topic community is a good idea for popular megathreads, but here we have under 10 frequent posters.

It doesn't even really make sense to call us a community. It's just a thread about products.

I just placed an order for a Muehle R89, some blades, proper shaving cream (I already used a very cheap one for my Gilette Fusion) and hopefully in a few days I can report back and get some information on what I did wrong.

Giard

I just placed an order for a Muehle R89, some blades, proper shaving cream (I already used a very cheap one for my Gilette Fusion) and hopefully in a few days I can report back and get some information on what I did wrong.

Great choices!

The Tabac I bought 2 years ago is starting to fade away... I think it's my favorite soap to date. I'd love to try some home-made ones though, like Mike's Natural Soaps.

Great choices!

The Tabac I bought 2 years ago is starting to fade away... I think it's my favorite soap to date. I'd love to try some home-made ones though, like Mike's Natural Soaps.

I tried with shaving cream first today - I heard it is easier. After some reading I thought I rather prepare more than in the end get in trouble. So after a hot towel I used a pre-shave cream, then the shaving cream (which really makes great foam with no effort at all) and then started shaving. First with the grain (?) and the second time against it. Had to leave out some spots because of a bad shave a few days ago but the rest went really smooth. I dare to say even with the current euphoria this is a really good way to shave and I didn't even need to get bandaids or something :)

It takes time but I guess this is the only negative thing I can find.

giga

Just switched from Derby to Astra blades. SO much better, wow. First time use and I didn't even get one cut. I have a whole sampler pack to go through now, including the highly praised Feather blades.

Have you check out Whipped Dog? I think it was last mentioned around February.

http://www.whippeddog.com/

You can get a silvertip brush for around $30, maybe a bit more. Looks like he'll get more in stock this week. I got a 36mm handle one for $36 six months ago and it's still going strong.
Whoa. That's crazy. I'm about to order a 24mm one myself now. Here's the real question though--black, marble or ivory handle? All are resin.

qUko+

X-Frame

Random question, but with a DE safety razor, can flipping the razor over extend it's life or no?

I see that the razors I have had one side with a 1 and a 2 on it, and the other side has a 3 and a 4 on it .. what are those for?

Giard

That black silver handle looks amazing.

Random question, but with a DE safety razor, can flipping the razor over extend it's life or no?

I see that the razors I have had one side with a 1 and a 2 on it, and the other side has a 3 and a 4 on it .. what are those for?

Flipping as in... turning it around? I think I do this without realizing it. If I had to guess, I would say that it was included when calculating the blade's average lifespan, so no.

I believe the numbers on the blade are for manufacturing purposes only.

I am not experienced enough to really compare quality but I tried "each" side (1 to 4) twice and didn't notice any big loss of quality. I guess using it even more might result in bad cuts but so far so good.

X-Frame

Flipping as in... turning it around? I think I do this without realizing it. If I had to guess, I would say that it was included when calculating the blade's average lifespan, so no.

I believe the numbers on the blade are for manufacturing purposes only.

No, I literally mean opening the cartridge and flipping the blade, haha. So if you had the 1 & 2 side up for a few shaves, flipping the blade so now it's on the 3 & 4 side up. I just assumed that if the blades are cutting in 1 direction each time, that flipping the blade would make the blade somewhat newer.

And I do turn it around without realizing it as well.

Taborcarn

Flipping the blade shouldn't have any noticeable effect on wear and tear. From what I've read, the numbers on the blade are only part of the manufacturing process, they mean nothing to the end user.

bjscott05

Just used a merkur slant 37c today for the first time. Paired it with some Astra blades and really enjoyed the shave. Definitely cuts through my neck hair better than a normal DE.

X-Frame

I've used the Shark blades, the Astra Platinum's, and now the 7 AM's, and I can barely tell a difference between the 3 so far.

I've used a package of 5 of them before moving onto the next one. Should I try and use different ones in quicker succession so that I can notice differences within a week? Because when the time comes when I run out of the sampler, I don't really know what blades to get.

Jumping on this shit. I've been alternating between Gillette Fusions and an electric razor (yeah, yeah I know) for the past few years. Can't stand electric and the Gillette cartridges are killing my wallet.

Anyways, so far I ordered:
- Edwin Jagger DE89L
- 20 Pack of Astra Blades
- 10 Pack of Feather Blades
- Proraso Shaving Kit

Not sure if I need a bowl or if I'm missing anything else. If I usually don't shower before shaving should I get some pre-shave stuff?

Giard

I've used the Shark blades, the Astra Platinum's, and now the 7 AM's, and I can barely tell a difference between the 3 so far.

I've used a package of 5 of them before moving onto the next one. Should I try and use different ones in quicker succession so that I can notice differences within a week? Because when the time comes when I run out of the sampler, I don't really know what blades to get.
If you can't tell the difference, just buy the cheapest I suppose. If you have Feather blades, you will see a difference. How many times are you using each blade?

Jumping on this shit. I've been alternating between Gillette Fusions and an electric razor (yeah, yeah I know) for the past few years. Can't stand electric and the Gillette cartridges are killing my wallet.

Anyways, so far I ordered:
- Edwin Jagger DE89L
- 20 Pack of Astra Blades
- 10 Pack of Feather Blades
- Proraso Shaving Kit

Not sure if I need a bowl or if I'm missing anything else. If I usually don't shower before shaving should I get some pre-shave stuff?
A bowl is not necessary if you build lather on your face. I'd say that what you've ordered is perfect, if you end up liking it you can look into other stuff.

PS. Dating-Age is at its fourth OT and is in Off-Topic. Comics fans get a new thread every month in Off-Topic. Here, we still have a post from August at the top of the current page, and we're in Community. :|

X-Frame

If you can't tell the difference, just buy the cheapest I suppose. If you have Feather blades, you will see a difference. How many times are you using each blade?

I use a blade maybe 3 times on average between switching it out, is that wrong?

SUPREME1

Banned
I picked up a tube of Institut Karite of Paris shave cream.

Anyone ever use the stuff?

Got it at a drugstore during lunch. Smells good, looks thick.

The packaging and tube scream class baby!

bjscott05

I picked up a tube of Institut Karite of Paris shave cream.

Anyone ever use the stuff?

Got it at a drugstore during lunch. Smells good, looks thick.

The packaging and tube scream class baby!

I thought about getting the after shave balm which is supposed to be pretty good. Let me know how it works out for you.

Arksy

I started wet shaving with a double bladed safety razor this year.

I still have an issue doing the top of the lip, especially near the nose. If anyone has any tips I'd greatly appreciate it!

I also don't feel like I'm getting as close a shave as I usually got with one of those 900 blade monstrosities, but it is a lot more enjoyable.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Mrs. AlteredBeast got me a Parker and a huge sampler pack for Christmas, along with a boar hair brush (I think?) and a nice sandalwood/shea butter soap.

awwwwww yeah!

Started out with Feather, which I have heard are the sharpest and I am loving it. The water is fine, brethren, come on in!

Taborcarn

Welcome to all those new to Wet Shaving! I've been using a DE for a little over and year and I'm still enjoying the whole process. It's my little Zen moment each morning.

And as my Christmas present to myself, I just ordered my first straight razor and strop. Watch out folks, the DE is a gateway drug.

Welcome to all those new to Wet Shaving! I've been using a DE for a little over and year and I'm still enjoying the whole process. It's my little Zen moment each morning.

And as my Christmas present to myself, I just ordered my first straight razor and strop. Watch out folks, the DE is a gateway drug.

I think I might jump to that next just see what it's all about. Hopefully curiosity won't kill the cat ;-)

Taborcarn

Yes, I got myself a Parker shavette last month as an experiment. I only used it a handful of times, but I've been able to get some decent shaves out of it. It helped me cement my decision to pull the trigger on the straight razor.

Top Bottom