• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WGA Covering Game Writers (not just film and TV)

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
http://biz.gamedaily.com/features.asp?article_id=8115&section=feature&email=

"The true purpose of making a video game is to create a truly interactive and immersive experience in both gameplay and story, and it is this that defines it ultimately as a unique form of art," Crystal Dynamics' Mannerberg & Fernandez

"There are now three major categories of screen-based entertainment: TV, movies, and games," WGAw secretary-treasurer Patric Verrone

Edit: The article itself is (in my admittedly biased opinion) a good read with lots of good quotes from Legacy of Kain and Advent Rising peeps about the rising legitimacy of storytelling in games. The WGA promoting better contracts for game writers is just sorta what set off the feature idea.

GDJustin said:
The article itself is (in my admittedly biased opinion) a good read with lots of good quotes from Legacy of Kain and Advent Rising peeps about the rising legitimacy of storytelling in games. The WGA promoting better contracts for game writers is just sorta what set off the feature idea.

I dunno, seems like a giant PR from the Writers Guild to drum up more business and dues.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
The WGA accepting videogame writers isn't mentioned until the very end, and makes up about 250 words of the 1100 word article :)

Although it's implied by the opening line of the black text (second paragraph, depending on how you classify it).

I guess the rest of it kind of glazes past because it's a "duh" level statement made: "stories can be really important to games when done well". I totally agree, but then it jumps into convergence and benefits and the 'world' of contract game writing.

Thanks for pointing out the article though; now at least I know enough that I can start investigating further.

Top Bottom