• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whale shows appreciation for helping hand from fisherman

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought this was pretty cool. I saw a video earlier today of some "marine biologists" removing a really, really set-in straw from the nostril of a sea turtle (or tortoise, or whatever), but the turtle was bleeding a bit and it didn't really get to express a "thank you" in some way.

Seeing this, though, is awesome. It legitimately looks like the whale sought some help and then thanked the fisherman.

VIDEO AT LINK.

1439541645373.jpg

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/w...n-sydneys-middle-harbour-20150814-giyyxv.html

The whale seemed to stare straight at him. Fisherman Ivan Iskenderian watched it swim within a metre of his boat in Sydney's Middle Harbour.

As the whale rose from the water, he saw a plastic bag and some fishing line stuck near its enormous mouth. He reached out his hand and snatched them away.

His friend Michael Riggio snapped a photograph of the close encounter, near Roseville Bridge, calling it a "once-in-a-lifetime" selfie.

Mr Iskenderian, 20, of Forestville, said he did not stop to think before touching the head of the massive mammal.

"It was a bit daunting but the whale was very calm," he said.

"He came up to the boat a couple of times, putting his head out of the water. There was a plastic bag and fishing line sitting on the side of his mouth, and it seemed like he wanted it taken off. So I dropped my phone, reached over and just grabbed it."

The young southern right whale then repeatedly slapped its fin on the water, he said.

"Apparently that's what they do when they're relaxed. It seemed quite happy. It could have been a kind of thank you."

Whale expert Geoff Ross said the mammal - weighing about 65 tonnes and roughly the length of a single-decker bus - deliberately came looking for a helping hand.

The selfies make me laugh, though, lol. But man, just how smart are these things? Magnificent creatures!

Nere

Poor whale, touching move but that friend of the fisherman really had to stay there and take selfies? Couldn't he take pics of the whale? Who cares for him and its his friend who did all the job anyway.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I've read about dolphins who have interacted with marine biologists doing something similar. It's pretty interesting trying to comprehend what sort of induction or deduction process is happening in their minds.

JDSN

Banned
Poor whale, touching move but that friend of the fisherman really had to stay there and take selfies? Couldn't he take pics of the whale? Who cares for him and its his friend who did all the job anyway.

Who gives a shit about all this?

Nere

Who gives a shit about all this?

Dunno I really find it weird when people feel the need to take a selfie during inappropriate times. What happened with just normal pictures of the event why do we have to shove ourself inside the picture too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom