• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whale testicle beer outrages conservationists

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strax

_-Cos3t7ovXPnnDrmmRGzzT7fpyaQAXGS-qTJAY8o__IjeDy4-WUB8B8jnp-EFJ11dh2w4JmbOKabsb9QhqxIa1_=s606

A year after outraging conservationists with a whale-meat beer, an Icelandic microbrewery is back with another outrageous marine mammal brew - this one flavoured with smoked whale testicles.

For the annual month-long winter celebration of Thorri, honouring the Norse god Thor, Stedji Brewery is whipping up Hvalur 2, the sequel to last year's popular holiday libation made with the endangered fin whale.

The International Whaling Commission issued a moratorium on commercial hunting of the fin whale - the second-largest-known animal on the planet after the blue whale -but after a two-year halt, Iceland resumed hunting the species in 2013.

Last year, the Whale and Dolphin Conservation Society said it was "immoral and outrageous" that fin whale meat was used in the first Havalur (Whale) brew. The group called this year's offering "a load of b*lls" and "highly provocative and a cheap marketing ploy."

"Right-minded people would no sooner drink beer brewed with whale testicles than they would order similar drinks made with tiger, elephant or rhino testicles, and our hope, of course, is that visitors to Iceland will treat this latest offering with the disdain it deserves," the organisation said in a statement.

The brewers see things differently.

"Actually, we don't consider the fin whale to be an endangered species here in the North Atlantic," brewery co-owner Dabjartur Ariliusson told the trade journal Beverage Daily. "We have a fisheries system in Iceland with all the fish kinds that is really self-sustainable and responsible."

Hence, whale meat again for this year's festival, which runs from mid-January to mid-February. Stedji, which opened in 2012, will brew 20,000 bottles, and one whale testicle is used in each batch.

Now, about that new taste ...

"We work the testicle by the old traditional way," he told Beverage Daily. "We smoke it with dried sheep sh**. This method gives it a unique smoked flavour, and we also get a bit of the meaty taste in the beer."

(Note: His brews highlight "the freshness of the Icelandic water," contain "NO extra sugar" and are "filtered and pasteurised.")

Mark your calendar: The release date is January 23. International shipping available.

Not your cup of tea? There are other traditional Icelandic delicacies to enjoy during the month of celebrations: putrefied shark, ram's testicles, sheep's heads and blood pudding.

Skal!

Link

Kinyou

"Actually, we don't consider the fin whale to be an endangered species here in the North Atlantic," brewery co-owner Dabjartur Ariliusson told the trade journal Beverage Daily. "We have a fisheries system in Iceland with all the fish kinds that is really self-sustainable and responsible."
Great that this is for him to decide what species is endangered or not, and not for organizations like the IUCN which regards the finwhale as endangered.

Ofcourse you don't see it as endangered, not with all that money in your face. Shits terrible and not a single one of these people will understand that until it's too late.

ATF487

"We work the testicle by the old traditional way," he told Beverage Daily. "We smoke it with dried sheep sh**. This method gives it a unique smoked flavour, and we also get a bit of the meaty taste in the beer."
Sign me up!

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Straight from Wikipedia

Surveys during the summers of 1987 and 1989 estimated of 10,000 to 11,000 between eastern Greenland and Norway.[70] This shows a substantial recovery when compared to a survey in 1976 showing an estimate of 6,900, which was considered to be a "slight" decline since 1948.

Also here:

http://www.nammco.no/webcronize/images/Nammco/651.pdf

As well as straight from the IWC
Fin whale populations were exploited throughout the North Atlantic. Present total abundance in the North Atlantic is over 35,000 animals although not all areas have been surveyed. Assessments of the population status in the central North Atlantic and off West Greenland have shown populations there to be in a healthy state.

So it appears populations in the North Atlantic are growing. As long as Iceland doesn't overfish their seas I don't see how you can object on a basis other than a moral one, which is totally fine.

It's not made clear in OP if the whales are killed to get this drink? If so, what do they look like?

Like ivory with elephants? Google search what "ivory elephant death" looks like, get scarred for life.

DBT85

It's not made clear in OP if the whales are killed to get this drink? If so, what do they look like?

Like ivory with elephants? Google search what "ivory elephant death" looks like, get scarred for life.

I don't think there exists a donor programme for cetaceans where they carry a little card around in their waistcoats.

They hunt the whales, kill them, then use a nut for a bunch of beer.

The demand of whale meat in Iceland is tiny, so most of the consumed stuff goes to Japan.

Even if these animals weren't killed(they are), they are taking away their potential to procreate, something that may as well be a death sentence when the population is lower than it should be and they keep taking more whales out of the equation by killing them for some drink with "mystical powers"(aka bullshit).

Game4life

Banned
Murderer deserves to be arrested. Fking Asshole.

Edit anyone who agrees with this are some sick people that I hopefully never have to meet.

Who thinks to themselves "oh I got to try out this beer made from whale testicles?"

Or who says "you know what? I'm going to make a beer out of whale testicles."

When I hear whale testicles, it doesnt make me thirsty.

Strax

Edit anyone who agrees with this are some sick people that I hopefully never have to meet.

Grilled Common Minke Whale is really tasty. Never tasted Fin Whale tho.
Dolphin tastes like dry chicken.

DiscoJer

Even if they're not killed, cutting off the testicles is probably not gonna go well with conserving the species...

I am reminded of a cartoon that showed an umbrella stand made out of an elephant's foot, then in the next panel, showed an elephant with a wooden leg.

edit: It was a crutch and a wastebasket. (Far Side)

Cerity

Yo these dudes wouldn't be setting up their own whaling boats and going out there to purposely hunt fin whales for their testicles. It'd be a byproduct of the catch that Iceland already catch yearly. If whale nuts aren't in demand and Iceland actually has a surplus of them, these guys are actually doing a good job by using more of it.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
What the fuck, they kill whales to make fucking beer? That's disgusting. Fuck these losers.

The fuck? You do realize that it's not the brewery that goes out of their way killing whales for the testies?

Whales are regularly hunted in Iceland for meat and other byproducts. They buy them off the fisheries since testicles see little use otherwise I guess.

Strax

The fuck? You do realize that it's not the brewery that goes out of their way killing whales for the testies?

Whales are regularly hunted in Iceland for meat and other byproducts. They buy them off the fisheries since testicles see little use otherwise I guess.

Whales in Iceland are mostly hunted so they don't eat all the food that fish eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom