• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whale testicle beer outrages conservationists

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stet

Banned
Straight from Wikipedia

Also here:

http://www.nammco.no/webcronize/images/Nammco/651.pdf

As well as straight from the IWC

So it appears populations in the North Atlantic are growing. As long as Iceland doesn't overfish their seas I don't see how you can object on a basis other than a moral one, which is totally fine.

That doesn't have anything to do with a species being endangered. There could be two of something left in the world who have a baby, but that doesn't mean the species is saved.

Whaling is done properly in Northern Europe, Minke whaling in Norway is done just fine, this is not the horror stories of what you usually hear in the media. Whale in food culture around these regions has been part of it for centuries and people respect the animals.

Whaling in waters in Northern Europe is done responsibly and it doesn't even meet the yearly Norwegian quota for Minke (think it's around 1k, but never that amount is caught). It's well regulated, nothing is overfished.

I had whale steaks in Iceland, it's really good. Part of the culture's cuisine in these parts.

Stet

Banned
Whaling is done properly in Northern Europe, Minke whaling in Norway is done just fine, this is not the horror stories of what you usually hear in the media. Whale in food culture around these regions has been part of it for centuries and people respect the animals.

Whaling in waters in Northern Europe is done responsibly and it doesn't even meet the yearly Norwegian quota for Minke (think it's around 1k, but never that amount is caught). It's well regulated, nothing is overfished.

I had whale steaks in Iceland, it's really good. Part of the culture's cuisine in these parts.

The Minke Whale is not endangered.

The Minke Whale is not endangered.

Yeah I know which is why it's caught and the quota designated for Minke I believe is not even met yearly. Whaling in these parts is responsible, people don't really understand it. I think people have been led to believe otherwise from what has been commonly told especially with what happens with Japan.

Stet

Banned
Yeah I know which is why it's caught and the quota designated for Minke I believe is not even met yearly. Whaling in these parts is responsible, people don't really understand it. I think people have been led to believe otherwise from what has been commonly told especially with what happens with Japan.

The Fin Whale is endangered. That's the species that they're harvesting for this beer.

Strax

Whale meat is in no way part of Iceland cuisine and it's a shame in a way. 95% of it is shipped to Japan and it just sits in a warehouse rotting.
I'd love some Minke Whale every now and then but it's rare to see it in stores

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom