• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are some commercially released games that were either unable to be finished to the credits or required some trickery to beat?

wvnative

I am one of the few who thinks gaming is better than it's ever been with high quality game after high quality game coming out and the overall polish is at least way above what I recall from gen 7. Despite that, I think today's games are inflated and bloated with a lot of busy work. So despite me enjoying current games I like to go back and play games that were more focused on fun. My jam is the 6th generation of consoles.

Last year I got the True Crime games for christmas on my OG Xbox. Sadly just now getting to them. Streets of LA was so badly damaged my Xbox won't boot it. Oh well I just skipped to the second game, True Crime New York City

Weird one this game. Horrible framerate, glitchy as all hell... but despite all the issues... I found myself loving it. Very popcorn movie-ish. Fast paced gun combat, missions aren't too long but no checkpoints. It reminds me of how I remember this gen in general, enough challenge to bite but without being frustrating. I may get yelled at for saying this but I like this way better than the PS2/Xbox GTA games.

Here I am loving the crap out of this game, doing mission after mission. Then I get to a mission titled "Human Cargo"

This mission involves chasing a guy through a warehouse while taking out his goons with crowbars. Your climbing up cargo containers, lifting them up and jumping across them. I like the mission itself well enough.

At the end of the mission you get to a guy on a cargo container and enter a mini game where you shove him. You shove him by tapping rapidly A or X. You don't have to even tap that fast, just in tune with the character's shove animation. When you get to the edge you simply push B to FINISH HIM. Except, when I pressed B, Nothing happened. Maybe you tap it? Nope. After repeated failures I whip out my Ipod Touch (Cause I still am living in 2008 baby) and google this...

Turns out the xbox version is bugged and it won't accept the B input during this mini-game. Now most people say it is beatable but you have to do a lot of weirdness like turbo A and B together which is kind of hard to do. Despite my best efforts this ain't worked for me. Some also suggest going into Debug Mode and either let him shove you off, climb back up and you can fight him normal or you can skip the mission. Alas I can't get the Debug code to work either.

It may not be impossible to beat but I imagine most people who got this far probably quit. It got me thinking, sucks they didn't have the ability to push game patches back then to fix this. Then I got to wondering, are there any other games that were either unbeatable by normal means or required some weird things like cheats or other glitching to finish?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
This page has a ton (and I mean a ton) of examples of games being unwinnable either due to glitches or players doing incredibly weird things to break them:

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/UnwinnableByMistake

Obviously the link isn't a replacement for this thread, since people can still post any they've experienced.

Helios

Had a lot of trouble with the escape sequence near the end in Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth on PC. I can't remember exactly what the issue was but I think the game speed was tied to the framerate which would make the section broken no matter what you tried. It was extra annoying since that was the final part of the game. So either you would look up the ending or do what I did which was to use a hex editor to give myself a faster run speed. Nowadays there are fan-made patches and cheats.

Top Bottom