• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are some good games about death?

LakeOf9

Looking for games that deal with the concept and issue of death beyond the usual video gamey way. I don’t mean death as a game mechanic as much as I mean the story has something to say about death. Are there any good games like this? I’ve heard of the spiritfarer, and it’s on my radar.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Spiritfarer for sure. Could also check out What Remains of Edith Finch. Life is Strange deals with death and loss, as well.

Adding Hellblade, The Walking Dead (telltale), Grim Fandango, and Undertale (kinda) to this as well.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

1725.jpg

apps.28362.67453348098260763.a9f96429-c651-425e-97d2-e8861561f15f.f7b26f7f-73d8-4f53-9f3b-4d9e4e4d23f0

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

That Dragon, Cancer

Exactly what you're asking for talking about the topic in a non-videogamey way

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Spiritfarer for sure. Could also check out What Remains of Edith Finch. Life is Strange deals with death and loss, as well.

Adding Hellblade, The Walking Dead (telltale), Grim Fandango, and Undertale (kinda) to this as well.
With no context that would be a morbid statement.

n01jN8k.png
N3EjKdm.jpeg
1BIGrYA.jpeg

It's not a game specifically about death, but death is a big element in the story thematically (if not the dominant one). I also guarantee it's unlike any other game you have likely played, and probably a more unique experience than any single other game being mentioned ITT.

The English translation came out ~ 2 years ago but until then it was a Japanese exclusive. It's also one of, if not the, last Quintet game ever made. Seriously, give Planet Laika a play; I'll be replaying it again over the holidays.

A good runner-up I could throw in there is Cosmology of Kyoto. I need to replay this one again sometime, but it was a very enjoyable play the first time around. Also packed with a lot of interesting info on myths and historical events of Kyoto during feudal periods.

Murdered Soul Suspect
Fatal Frame 2: Crimson Butterfly

Some good walking simulator games as well:
Whats left of Edith Finch
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
Vanishing of Ethan Carter

Top Bottom