• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are some of the rarest or hard to find Gamecube games?

I'm somewhat of a video game collector, so I'm always interested in what's rare in my collection. I know the Gamecube has only been around for a couple years, but there are already some games that are becoming increasingly hard to find. The rarest games, as far as I can tell, are
NCAA Basketball 2K3
and MLB Slugfest 2004.
I have also never personally seen a copy of Samurai Jack.

What are some other titles you think are rare? Any particular titles you've personally found hard to come by?

AniHawk

Puyo Pop Fever. 447 sold in July (which brings us to a grand total of 447).

Transworld Surf: Next Wave had sold 18 copies by last June.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Well, aside from the kiosk demo discs...

From what I've heard, Cubivore is somewhat hard to find, although I've come across new copies occasionally.

I've only seen two copies of Ogre Battle.

I've heard from a fairly reliable source here at GAF that the GC Micromachines title was distributed in stores along the west coast, then immediately recalled. From all I can tell, there is no official record of it ever being released, but supposedly west coast (California only?) Toys R Us stores briefly had copies. If this is true, I'd bet that this would have to be the rarest title...

Alcibiades

The Twin Snakes ;)

but seriously, there's Cubivore, Bandai's cartoon-based wrestling game, Puyo Pop Fever apparently, maybe Virtua Striker and RE2/RE3/CV aren't rare, but they are hard to find...

that said, nothing wil match NCAA 2k3's rarity I think...

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
AniHawk said:
Puyo Pop Fever. 447 sold in July (which brings us to a grand total of 447).

Transworld Surf: Next Wave had sold 18 copies by last June.
Did they release Transworld Surf in just one store or something? I can't even imagine how that's possible.

Shiggy

TimeSplitters 2: I didn't find a shop in Germany, where I could buy it...

3 Engel für Charlie: One of the worst GCN games (developed by Ubisoft)

Rhage

Wtf, 447 copies? You serious?

Not that hard to believe I suppose, EB isn't even carrying it at all and I couldn't find it anywhere until about 2 weeks after release.

Idiots

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
In australia MGS:TTS is a rare find. I rang about 10 EB stores and none of them had it. It was only by luck that I found a pre-owned copy of it one day.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
M3wThr33 said:
I've never seen Dr. Muto or Crash Nitro Kart for the Cube. I know they exist, but not to my eyes.
I also have never seen either of these games.

All others mentioned in this thread I have seen on shelves at some point, even Puyo (saw it at WalMart).

Ristamar

None are truly rare, AFAIK, as long as it's not an import, especially with online vendors being a common, easy purchase route.

Grubdog

Banned
Scrow said:
In australia MGS:TTS is a rare find. I rang about 10 EB stores and none of them had it. It was only by luck that I found a pre-owned copy of it one day.
It was discontinued after the initial shipment, which was pretty much only for people who pre-ordered and a few here and there in every 100th store. Same with a lot of games here. Hell, Ikaruga wasn't even released here at all. =\

Bog

Junior Ace
I think the rarest GC game is that one college basketball game from Sega. The year before they changed to ESPN.

Scrow said:

It's pretty easy to get from online stores actually.

The hardest GameCube game to find in Australia (that was released fairly recently) is James Bond: Everything or Nothing. IMPOSSIBLE to find (at least in WA)

ge-man

SonicMegaDrive said:
Ultimate Muscle.

Come to think of it, I haven't seen a copy of that in a while...

I have a copy, but I got that when it first came out. I think it's distribution was extremely limited--the only places I saw it was places like Gamestop and EB. Considering there's a Sunday morning cartoon, I'm surprised it made more available at stores like Wal-Mart.

One game I haven't seen in a LONG time is Super Monkey Ball 2.

Ristamar

Tritroid said:
Skies of Arcadia Legends is definitely one.

Even used copies are going for 50 bucks on Ebay now.

You can't be serious. Are people really that dumb? I hope these people buying it are at least not within the continental US or Canada.

Memles

Ristamar said:
You can't be serious. Are people really that dumb? I hope these people buying it are at least not within the continental US or Canada.

Agreed...why, I've seen a fair amount of copies recently, actually.

ge-man

robojimbo said:
The GCN version of SEGA Soccer Slam seems pretty rare. I almost never see it and when I do it's never under $50.

I haven't seen new copies, but used are easy to find. I bought one at Gamestop the other day.

Memles

shoplifter said:
Pretty sure it's GH now, so it should start popping up more.

I've seen copies at Wal-Mart, Future Shop and North Haverbrook, and by golly it put them on the map.

Yeah, at EB too, picked up mine for $25 Canadian.

bjork

Huh, wow. Aside from Transworld Surf and Puyo Pop and the sports game (I don't really buy sports titles), I own all of those games... go me!

etiolate

Banned
It must be a regional thing, because a lof of these games listed besides Cubivore and Soccer Slam are in abundance in California Fry's and Gamestop stores.

Ristamar

etiolate said:
It must be a regional thing, because a lof of these games listed besides Cubivore and Soccer Slam are in abundance in California Fry's and Gamestop stores.

Or just online, in general. When I think rare games, it's generally not stuff I can just snag off the internet at a regular or reduced price from a large vendor.

Shompola

Banned
SonicMegaDrive said:
Somebody told me Phantasy Star Episode I&II is rare, but only Version 1.0. I didn't know they made 2 different versions...

yah the game was in great demand thanks to that bug in the game. As I know Sega has released the game with that bug fixed.

Top Bottom