• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (April 2015)

Orujv.jpg

Join www.goodreads.com and join the NeoGAF Group.

Support GAF authors:
aidan (Hugo Award winner): http://aidanmoher.com/blog/
AngmarsKing701: Ahvarra: The Heart of the World
cosmicblizzard: Freeze Kill
Elfforkusu: Wrath of Flight
Fidelis Hodie: Derek Agons Slays a Dragon
H.Protagonist: Dead Endings
Plasticine Live Undead
whatevermort: The Explorer

GAF Recommends!

Education/History
Book Recommendations for Particular Areas of Study
History Books
Best Factual Books on War (WWI/WW2 and Beyond)

General/Fiction
Horror Fiction
Books of 2010
Lengthy Books
Summer Reading
Must Read Books That Came Out in the Past 10 Years
Scary Books
Non-western literature
Novels with great world building
Top 5 Books of 2013 as voted by GAF
Historical Fiction

Sci-fi/Fantasy
NPR Top 100 of Sci-Fi/Fantasy as of 2011
Best Sci-Fi You've Ever Read
Sci-Fi Novel Series
Forgotten Sci-Fi Novels
Space Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books
Fantasy and Science Fiction That is Worth Reading
Fast Pace Action Sci-Fi/Fantasy Books
Dresden's Favorite Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Cyberpunk Fiction
Fantasy Recommendations
Modern Fantasy and Hidden Gems
Fantasy Books
Epic Fantasy
Fantasy Literature
Post-apocalpytic Books
The Best Science Fiction/Space Opera Books

Explore
The 40 Best Sci-Fi Books According to Reddit
100 Books Every High School Student Should Read
100 Greatest Sci Fi Novels
100 Best Novels
The Sci-Fi Masterworks List
Africa's 100 Best Books of the 20th Century

Kindle Links
Free Kindle Books
Amazon Kindle Search - set alerts for free or price drop Kindle books

Online Book Stores
http://www.bookdepository.com/ Free shipping World Wide, cheap.
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/ Free shipping Word Wide, cheap.

Sci-Fi & Fantasy
http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/
http://aidanmoher.com/blog/
http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.com/

Free Audio Books
http://podcastle.org/ Free Fantasy audio books.
http://www.archive.org/details/audio All sorts of stuff.

Shelved Threads
What are you reading? (March 2015)
What are you reading? (February 2015)
What are you reading? (January 2015)
What are you reading? (December 2014)
What are you reading? (November 2014)
What are you reading? (October 2014)
What are you reading? (September 2014)
What are you reading? (August 2014)
What are you reading? (July 2014)
What are you reading? (June 2014)
What are you reding? (May 2014)
What are you reading? (April 2014)
What are you reading? (March 2014)
What are you reading? (February 2014)
What are you reading? (January 2014)
What are you reading? (December 2013)
What are you reading? (November 2013)
What are you reading? (October 2013)
What are you reading? (September 2013)
What are you reading? (August 2013)
What are you reading? (July 2013)
What are you reading? (June 2013)
What are you reading? (May 2013)
What are you reading? (April 2013)
What are you reading? (March 2013)
What are you reading? (February 2013)
What are you reading? (January 2013)
What are you reading? (December 2012)
What are you reading? (November 2012)
What are you reading? (October 2012)
What are you reading? (September 2012)
What are you reading? (August 2012)
What are you reading? (July 2012)
What are you reading? (June 2012)
What are you reading? (May 2012)
What are you reading? (April 2012)
What are you reading? (March 2012)
What are you reading? (February 2012)
What are you reading? (January 2012)
What are you reading? (December 2011)
What are you reading? (November 2011)
What are you reading? (October 2011)
What are you reading? (September 2011)
What are you reading? (August 2011)
What are you reading? (July 2011)
What are you reading? (June 2011)
What are you reading? (May 2011)
What are you reading? (April 2011)
What are you reading (March 2011)
What are you reading (February 2011)
What are you reading (January 2011)

What are you reading (December 2010)
What are you reading? (November 2010)

What are you reading? (October 2010)

What are you reading? (September 2010)

What are you reading? (August 2010)
What are you reading? (July 2010)

What are you reading (June 2010)
What are you reading?(May 2010)
What are you reading? (April 2010)
What are you reading? (March 2010)
What are you reading? (February 2010)
What are you reading? (January 2010)
What are you reading? (December 09)
What Are You Reading (November '09)
What are you reading? (October 09)
What are you reading? (September 09)
What are you reading? (August 09)
What are you reading? (July 09)
What are you reading? (June 09)
What are you reading? (May 09)

Polari

It's really rich and descriptive, which makes it difficult to get through at times. Similarly though, when you're in the mood and can devote to it a good long spell it's really rewarding.

34506.jpg

I'm about half way through this so far, I'm having a lot harder time with this than I did The Color of Magic. I'm still enjoying it and the sense of humor, but the stream of the story is a lot harder for me this time around without it being those short style stories like it had in Color. I'll probably just try to bust through it to get it over with faster.

justjohn

Started reading Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantell and I had to stop about 7% in as it was far too dry. think I will watch the bbc series instead.

Now reading The Black Count about Alexandre Dumas' father and really enjoying it.

LifEndz

13431827.jpg

A really good zombie apocalypse story thus far. Protagonist is a captain in the army and a member of a top secret Army group with the mission of restoring order and providing aid should a cataclysmic event occur. The "zombies" aren't the typical dead return to life zombies, and so far I'm digging the author's take on them.

Big-E

Started The Thousand Sons in the Horus Heresy. I just finished Stoner based on GAFs recommendations and I liked it a lot. Quick read and wish I read it earlier.

Rafavert

Am currently reading Brave New World. Depressing stuff... Got Kafka by the Shore and Lord of the Flies waiting in line, but Kafka is the Portuguese translation (which is a translation made from the Italian which was made from English which was made from Japanese....), so I'm not to keen on that.

Osorio

Am currently reading Brave New World. Depressing stuff... Got Kafka by the Shore and Lord of the Flies waiting in line, but Kafka is the Portuguese translation (which is a translation made from the Italian which was made from English which was made from Japanese....), so I'm not to keen on that.

Brave New World is depressing because it predicted the future correctly in so many ways. Sometimes it feels like an introspection into the contemporary American psyche.

Rafavert

Brave New World is depressing because it predicted the future correctly in so many ways. Sometimes it feels like an introspection into the contemporary American psyche.

Indeed.

I've recently read 1984 as well. It's interesting to see how both those books present similar, yet so different futures. One is based on submission of the masses through ignorance and constant vigilance to eliminate "threats". The other simply CREATES individuals who are fit for the society at hand who are kept happy without needing to think much.

At the end of the day, I guess both see societies where thought is limited (by limiting the language itself or by limiting one's ability to do) in order to prosper. Depressing and ominously realistic.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Reading Abercrombie's Blade Itself. After trying to read it a few years ago and finding it pretty terrible, it's actually quite enjoyable.

obin_gam

Still struggeling to finish Acceptance by Vandermeer. It's not good. Luckily I have only 1½ hours left of it (it's on audiobook.)

After that I plan to listen to Master & Commander by O'Brian
ARoZHMU.jpg

34506.jpg

I'm about half way through this so far, I'm having a lot harder time with this than I did The Color of Magic. I'm still enjoying it and the sense of humor, but the stream of the story is a lot harder for me this time around without it being those short style stories like it had in Color. I'll probably just try to bust through it to get it over with faster.

Dont give up! Sir Terry's bibliography is a treasure trove!

200 pages into "The Name of the Wind" since Sunday.

Afterwards, I plan to finally get around to "Jurassic Park" (been sitting on my shelf for awhile).

Mr.Swag

Banned
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";158410765]First-time reader of these authors:

515jmuwjs8lvqoni.jpg
9780062080233rgpzf.jpg

No, no it is not.[/QUOTE]
I suggest Geimans 'Neverwhere'. Great book that I liked alot more than American Gods.

The Ultra Thin Man since I've completely given up on reading A Clockwork Orange. That slang is just too high of a wall to cross.

moojito

Speaker for the dead. It's completely different from Ender's game so far, but pretty good nonetheless. After seeing Interstellar so recently, I was surprised to see the issue of time differences between people travelling at light speed and those left behind/at the destination dealt with given how long ago the book was written. It's not something you see mentioned a lot in sci fi.

This sealed my hatred for Wall Street.
Everyone was really just like "well, fuck everyone else and what happens in a few years, need to get my bonus now." Totally disgusting. There should really be more regulation on these companies. And banks split up so they can't become so powerful and infect all parts of the economy.

And like the author says, it is amazing that the people making the rules and doing the regulations are the ones who couldn't make it at the actual Wall Street firms. This should be the other way around, so the regulators have the best people!

Nymerio

Still making my way through Tower Lord. It was a bit of a rough start because I remembered basically nothing from the previous book and couldn't find any good summaries about what happened so far. Most of the stuff did come back to me though while reading and I really like the book. Not really sure why people hate on the book because Vaelin isn't the only pov anymore, I enjoy all the characters and I'm not sure how the book would even work with only Vaelin as the pov because the plot stretches multiple locations.

Everyone was really just like "well, fuck everyone else and what happens in a few years, need to get my bonus now." Totally disgusting. There should really be more regulation on these companies. And banks split up so they can't become so powerful and infect all parts of the economy.

And like the author says, it is amazing that the people making the rules and doing the regulations are the ones who couldn't make it at the actual Wall Street firms. This should be the other way around, so the regulators have the best people!

The ratings companies like Standard & Poor, and Moody's should have been prosecuted for rating Collateralized Debt Obligations (probably the riskiest bonds that have ever existed) as Triple A

Also, if you enjoyed the book, check out the movie Margin Call ... it's excellent (as has a truly Stellar cast)

Finished They Thirst by Robert McCammon. Great vampire book. I really appreciated the epic level of the story telling. It's very much a product of the early 80s, so there's a ton of dated references and attitudes present. The characters are fun and plentiful. A lot of POV characters are developed only to die off or become vampires a few chapters later. It definitely added to the scope of the story. The only downer is the overtly religious slant it takes during the closing chapters. I really could have lived without that, but otherwise it was a fun ride. It was the first McCammon novel I've ever read, but certainly won't be the last.

Just started:

25146855.jpg

I've read a couple of Bryan Smith novels, and this one is so far turning out to be the best yet. I'll probably have this sucker done tonight or tomorrow.

No problem here, thanks for all you do.

Does that explain the weird OP?
{rtf1ansiansicpg1252
{fonttblf0fswissfcharset0 Helvetica;}
{colortbl;red255green255blue255;red255green255blue255;red0green0blue0;}
deftab720
pardpardeftab720partightenfactor0

f0fs28 cf0 cb2 expnd0expndtw0kerning0
outl0strokewidth0 strokec3

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Finished Les Boulevards de ceinture today. Still have plans to do a scifi novel inbetween the french books. So, now it's 2001: A Space Odyssey before heading back into Modiano and Rue des Boutiques Obscures. Then it's on to The Martian and the second volume of In Search of Lost Time. That's the plan for now atleast. :)

ACE 1991

Tenth of December by George Saunders. I have been on a bit of a short stories kick recently, and am open to suggestions!

Number45

Can anyone recommend a good accurate Kindle version of The Three Musketeers? Been meaning to read it, but as with all older (and not natively English) books it seems like a bit of a minefield finding the best option.

Available on Amazon UK if possible, thanks. :)

Currently re-reading:

latest

Wolves of the Calla

Found out recently that there's now an eighth Dark Tower book, so I'm going back through them in preparation.

Narag

34506.jpg

Took me three attempts to get through it but that last go everything seemed to gel in that second half.

Can anyone recommend a good accurate Kindle version of The Three Musketeers? Been meaning to read it, but as with all older (and not natively English) books it seems like a bit of a minefield finding the best option.

Available on Amazon UK if possible, thanks. :)

Currently re-reading:

latest

Wolves of the Calla

Found out recently that there's now an eighth Dark Tower book, so I'm going back through them in preparation.

Well, it's not really an eighth book so much as a side-story to book four.

Started the Harry Potter series for the first time

On the third book now.

Nice easy read. Though I still dont understand how they avoid muggles since apparently Wizard land isnt an alt dimension but just...hidden from muggles?

Top Bottom