• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (April 2015)

ShaneB

Still making my way through 'The Son'. Really liking it, but just been a bit busy and also slightly distracted since I know what I already want to read next. Excited to soon be able to read outdoors again as well!

Those Jeffrey Lent books sound like great reads as well Mak, put them on my to-read list someday.

Annihilation_by_jeff_vandermeer.jpg

Just started Annihilation. About halfway through in one evening. Quick read, should be done this weekend. Keeps you guessing what is going on.

I just finished reading Stephen King's Pet Sematary, for maybe the 3rd or 4th time. There's something about the setting that I really enjoy, and I've always sort of related with the main POV character's reluctant acceptance of the existence and capability of the hidden Indian burial ground. It's a dark take on the idea of wanting something so badly that you'll do literally anything to get it, regardless of how predictable the outcome may be. I love the subtle incorporation of Wendigo lore, and the slow build up toward the inevitable ending.

It's one of only a few books I've read that left me wanting to know more. What gives the burial ground its power? Was Jud's tale of the MicMac Indians' interaction with the Wendigo true? It's a fascinating read, and while I enjoy the teasing nature of King revealing just enough to cover his plot, the idea that there is more to know is inescapable.

Final thoughts, ending spoiler:
Gage's return is one of the most terrifying things I've ever read. A presumably ancient, evil presence occupying the reanimated body of a recently deceased toddler to antagonize and exact revenge on an old man decades after their previous interaction, then killing the child's grieving mother (with the allusion that she was partially consumed afterward), is almost too much to handle. The thing's conversation with Jud is chilling, though as final words go, Jud could have done a lot worse: "Come on and get your pecker out then, whatever you are. We'll see who fucks with who."

Nymerio

13431827.jpg

A really good zombie apocalypse story thus far. Protagonist is a captain in the army and a member of a top secret Army group with the mission of restoring order and providing aid should a cataclysmic event occur. The "zombies" aren't the typical dead return to life zombies, and so far I'm digging the author's take on them.

Just got this as well. I've been ready lots of fantasy lately so I figured it's time for something else.

bengraven

Slant of Light sounds great! And after hearing so many talk about it, I'll also be reading The Son.

And I won't have to break my frontier/old west reading streak. :)

Survivor is alright.

Does Palahnuik ever write something different though?

*character introduced*
*character has weird or disgusting quirk*
*character does something provocatively horrible to another person*
*character is barely redeemed*
*bittersweet happy ending*

AP90

Just started reading the John Carter of Mars Series by Edgar Rice Burroughs (Barsoom Series). Picked up the first 7 of 11 books on the kindle for $1!

I am enjoying it so far. Was intrigued after seeing the most recent Disney movie version. The books were written/published almost 100yrs ago. Supposedly star wars and other scifi movies/stories had some inspirations come from this book series!

Pilgrimzero

I was reading (audio book) Starship Troopers, but so far it's mostly a story about a guy in basic training, that just happens to have power armor and laser guns. Oh and the Captains and Drill Sgts actually truly give a shit about their trainees.

It's entertaining-ish enough BUT

I picked up the new Veronica Mars novel (audio version read by Kristen Bell) and it's pretty fun.

Probably start up Shogun after that. All 56 hours of it, good lord.

O.DOGG

Done with On Writing, I think I'll try reading William Gibson's The Peripheral again. I couldn't get far the first time I started it. I thought its lingo was confusing and it was impeding my progress. But now that I think about it, I may have not been really focused and in reading mood. It deserves another shot, now that I'm dedicated to reading regularly.

Went on an Audible credit spending spree. I got

Lies My Teacher Told Me
At Home: A Short History of Private Life
Washington: A Life
A People's History of the United States
The Forgotten Man
1177 BC

Finished reading Constitutional Calculus. I love seeing math and statistics applied to real world scenarios.

Constitutional Calculus is yet another book that shows that once again common sense and emotional responses often leads to baffling and inconsistent results in the betterment of human life. Ultimately, the common sense and emotional response in the field of law has shown that the people in power often act unreasonable. By treating things on a case by case basis as they have shown the delay of better treatment for all humans has happened consistently.

The book explores using math to try to reach better ways of assessing fair voting practices. Probably the most memorable aspect was the use of math and statistics to address if popular voting is the best way of handling things or if our current electoral college is best. The author shows the benefits of different ways of voting. Ultimately, what can be gathered from this is that the ranked voting combined with a Condorcet winner aspect (meaning they won the majority vote after voters ranked at least three or so of the candidates) generates a better type of response than a simple one person from each party type of aspect. The voting part also encompass the census and drawing lines for counties. I liked how it showed that people have complained of a racial bias for how line district are drawn and that more is needed to be done in trying to address this issue. I wont go into the spoilers of it but it was vastly fascinating using geometry, statistics, and a few court cases to show the issues of not using math or statistics for generating some minimum or maximum for saying how representative of the general population does this race make up. This led into a discussion eventually on jury selection which became a bit more complicated and is a field that still needs more research.

Overall as a person interested in the applications of math and statistics to the real world setting this was a great book. It requires at least some basic understating of probability theory, distributions, confidence intervals, and statistical significance.

Apt101

I am juggling two books:

n2Xwrfq.jpg

Horrorstör - I am just about finished with this, put off (well, forgot I was reading it) a while ago but am closing in on the conclusion now. Good modern horror, not great.

513AptjeXbL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

On Stranger Tides - I am fairly certain I read part or most of this one in the distant past, so I am re-reading it now and it's fantastic. If I did it read I forgot 90% of what I had read.

And since I am a party animal I picked up a Nook GlowLight tonight. I needed something for the nightstand and I keep leaving my tablet at the office. With the $5 credit it came with and some I already had on my B&N account, I picked up The Girl on the Train, which I am excited about getting into next.

I just finished reading Stephen King's Pet Sematary, for maybe the 3rd or 4th time. There's something about the setting that I really enjoy, and I've always sort of related with the main POV character's reluctant acceptance of the existence and capability of the hidden Indian burial ground. It's a dark take on the idea of wanting something so badly that you'll do literally anything to get it, regardless of how predictable the outcome may be. I love the subtle incorporation of Wendigo lore, and the slow build up toward the inevitable ending.

It's one of only a few books I've read that left me wanting to know more. What gives the burial ground its power? Was Jud's tale of the MicMac Indians' interaction with the Wendigo true? It's a fascinating read, and while I enjoy the teasing nature of King revealing just enough to cover his plot, the idea that there is more to know is inescapable.

Final thoughts, ending spoiler:
Gage's return is one of the most terrifying things I've ever read. A presumably ancient, evil presence occupying the reanimated body of a recently deceased toddler to antagonize and exact revenge on an old man decades after their previous interaction, then killing the child's grieving mother (with the allusion that she was partially consumed afterward), is almost too much to handle. The thing's conversation with Jud is chilling, though as final words go, Jud could have done a lot worse: "Come on and get your pecker out then, whatever you are. We'll see who fucks with who."

Micmac...isn't that the tribe in Haven (TV show)?

Just finished the book. That all these people involved walked away with millions is really something... When the author says these firms shouldn't be publicly traded like this since it removes all responsibility I can only agree.

I see that movie is on Netflix here. Will check it out later, thanks for the tip!

Also consider reading all the Devils are here by Bethany McClean. She is an excellent financial journalist and tells the story of the financial crisis from a different perspective. She is also widely credited with breaking the story enron was a huge fraud. Nice lady too.

Finished colorless tsukuru and bought the Martian on the kindle. Enough gaf recommendations plus a real life friend recommendation made me take the plunge. Haven't really started it but I'll check on when I have.

Cade

Fiiiiinally finished Station Eleven. Liked it quite a bit, ending was really good too. Moving on to
the-lies-of-locke-lamora-US.jpg
now. Been getting the fantasy itch and recently read a thread about the series... might as well give it a go.

Nymerio

Finished The Remaining yesterday. I'm not that big into zombies but I liked that one. 'Zombies' aren't the typical zombies and the the book moves the plot at a really fast pace. I'll probably check out the sequels but for now I'll look for something else.

Apt101

I finished Horrorstor, and got sidetracked with The War of the Roses by Dan Jones. I'm only several chapters in, and he's not telling me anything I didn't already learn (retained, at least) in college regarding that era in nobility, but it's fascinating the way he tells it.

The 2014 James Tiptree Jr. awards were announced - the winners, long list and honor list.

If you don't know, what is the Tiptree Award?
In February of 1991 at WisCon (the world’s only feminist-oriented science fiction convention), award-winning SF author Pat Murphy announced the creation of the James Tiptree, Jr. Award, an annual literary prize for science fiction or fantasy that expands or explores our understanding of gender.

The award is named for Alice B. Sheldon, who wrote under the pseudonym James Tiptree, Jr. By her impulsive choice of a masculine pen name, Sheldon helped break down the imaginary barrier between “women’s writing” and “men’s writing.”

The Winners:
Monica Byrne’s The Girl in the Road
Jo Walton’s My Real Children

The long list and honors list (which in and of themselves make great reading/suggestion lists), can be found at the James Tiptree, Jr. Literary Award Council website:

http://tiptree.org/

Congrats to all of 'em!

Finished Slowly We Rot by Bryan Smith. I've always liked Bryan Smith. The books I've read of his have been fun, entertaining and fast paced horror rides that aren't afraid to push the limits. This one was easily his best novel, and probably one of the best zombie books I've read.

Set long after a zombie apocalypse has occurred, humanity is pretty much done. Mother nature has started reclaim the cities, and the zombie threat is slowly rotting away to nothing. Noah lives alone in a remote mountain cabin and hasn't seen another human in years. If he isn't fending for his basic survival, he is struggling with crushing isolation and suicidal impulses. When his sister reappears after nearly seven years, she forces Noah to leave his refuge. Lost and confused, Noah needs something to live for. He decides to undertake a cross country trip to reconnect with an old college girlfriend. He knows she's likely dead, but it doesn't matter. He needs something to give his existence meaning. As he crosses America, Noah not only has to fight the remaining zombies and the crazed remnants of humanity but his own personal demons.

Slowly We Rot is much more than just a zombie apocalypse novel. Sure it's filled with shocking moments, terrible violence and graphic horror, but its also heartbreaking. Noah is an alcoholic. Bryan Smith does an amazing job portraying the hopelessness and weakness Noah feels as he struggles with his addiction. It feels honest and it feels real. Noah is self-aware enough to know what he's doing to himself, but he feels overwhelmed by the urge to drink. Much like the zombies that are relentlessly compelled to consume his flesh, Noah is driven to drown his pain in liquor. It's easily one of the best zombie novels I've ever read, and highly recommended if you're even remotely interested in the genre.

I just started this:

8755661.jpg

I love me some Edward Lee, and so far Creekers is no different.

Zona

220px-Charles_Stross_-_The_Rhesus_Chart.jpg

Poor Bob, I know the series is Lovecraftian but it hits harder when you like the protagonist. Lovecraft's work has always been creepy to me in that whole Cosmic horror way but the protagonists are distant reserved figures I've never really made a connection with. I know exactly why Stross killed off
Angleton
but he was still one of my favorite characters. He cast a long shadow though and as the series comes to a head Stross probably felt Bob had to come into his own.

Finished Slowly We Rot by Bryan Smith. I've always liked Bryan Smith. The books I've read of his have been fun, entertaining and fast paced horror rides that aren't afraid to push the limits. This one was easily his best novel, and probably one of the best zombie books I've read.

Set long after a zombie apocalypse has occurred, humanity is pretty much done. Mother nature has started reclaim the cities, and the zombie threat is slowly rotting away to nothing. Noah lives alone in a remote mountain cabin and hasn't seen another human in years. If he isn't fending for his basic survival, he is struggling with crushing isolation and suicidal impulses. When his sister reappears after nearly seven years, she forces Noah to leave his refuge. Lost and confused, Noah needs something to live for. He decides to undertake a cross country trip to reconnect with an old college girlfriend. He knows she's likely dead, but it doesn't matter. He needs something to give his existence meaning. As he crosses America, Noah not only has to fight the remaining zombies and the crazed remnants of humanity but his own personal demons.

Slowly We Rot is much more than just a zombie apocalypse novel. Sure it's filled with shocking moments, terrible violence and graphic horror, but its also heartbreaking. Noah is an alcoholic. Bryan Smith does an amazing job portraying the hopelessness and weakness Noah feels as he struggles with his addiction. It feels honest and it feels real. Noah is self-aware enough to know what he's doing to himself, but he feels overwhelmed by the urge to drink. Much like the zombies that are relentlessly compelled to consume his flesh, Noah is driven to drown his pain in liquor. It's easily one of the best zombie novels I've ever read, and highly recommended if you're even remotely interested in the genre.

Sounds good to me. Going to pick this one up at some point.

mdubs

Banned
murakami.png

Enjoying it quite a lot right now, I'm about half way through. I like the way the story is going a lot more than I expected considering some of the reviews, I see what was meant by this book being the long version of "On Seeing the 100% Perfect Girl" (a story which I loved). I was worried this book wasn't going to compare favourably to the other Murakami works I enjoyed such as Sputnik Sweetheart but have been pleasantly surprised.

Finished Well of Ascension, I enjoyed it, but pacing could use some tightening up, especially during the middle, Zane's character and the love story between Elend and Vin are a drag.

Necrovex

Completed Flash Boys today. Not as good as The Big Short, but it was still a very enticing read. Lewis continues to prove that he is a master when it comes to financial writing.

I am aiming to complete the rest of Naruto at the moment. I am on volume 70, so I may finally finish this blasted series today.

My next book is going to be the second book of the Harry Potter franchise, Chamber of Secrets. Let's see if this book holds up as well as the first book did.

Completed Flash Boys today. Not as good as The Big Short, but it was still a very enticing read. Lewis continues to prove that he is a master when it comes to financial writing.

In Lewis's defense, I think The Big Short will be seen as THE definitive account of the 2008 crisis and as a classic in financial writing.

Reminds me of the time someone said to Joseph Heller (to paraphrase) 'You've never written anything as brilliant as Catch-22.' to which Heller replied, 'Who has?'

Necrovex

Completed Naruto. I still feel sad how much the quality dropped towards the end. I just remember how much I loved the first part. The final hundred chapters dreadfully needed an editor.

JGLS

*character introduced*
*character has weird or disgusting quirk*
*character does something provocatively horrible to another person*
*character is barely redeemed*
*bittersweet happy ending*

I'm reading this (Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk, my first book of his) and although I'm enjoying it so far, I've found the characters, themes, and the overall story structure way too similar too Fight Club (despite only having watched the movie several times, and not read the book) which is disappointing. I was thinking of either reading Choke or Damned in the future, but now I don't know. I'll probably finish it tonight or tomorrow (100 pages remaining) and I'll move on to one of these:

The-rules-of-attraction.jpg

200px-Lot49.jpeg

74416.jpg

Piecake

I think I am going to take a break from reading. My whole educational theory/how we learn binge actually got me interested in taking up my Chinese again. I studied it for about 4-5 years, but never became truly advanced. I think one of the main problems was that I was being taught through rote memorization, which is just shitty.

Now I actually have some new found confidence that I can actually master it if I just listen to a shit load of audio and read a lot of books. No rote memorization! So yea, I bought a bunch of graded readers in Chinese, which should be pretty fun. First up, an abridged adapted version of a sherlock Holmes story. Hope it is good.

War Eagle

The_Hero_of_Ages_-_Book_Three_of_Mistborn.png

I am about to begin 'part two' (about 120 pages in) during my lunch break today. I loved the first two books and can't wait to see how this trilogy ends!

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Tim Powers is the best name in the world. Looks like he's written a bunch of interesting stuff but I mostly see On Stranger Tides listed in these threads; is that a good place to start reading his work?

The Anubis Gates is one of my favourite novels, and, in my opinion, much superior to On Stranger Tides.

Chidori00

Banned
Currently reading 1984 by George Orwell and loving it. Also just finished reading Jack London's White Fang and Call of the Wild, both very good.

Top Bottom