• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (August 2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fakefaker

Old prose is funny. It's a lot of pontificating and people being slain with no actual descriptions of the killing. A lot of "and then this happened and then THIS happened".

Just wait till you get to page 1000 and repetition starts setting in. Oh wait, I meant at 700...no wait at 500...no wait at 300....

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
"I am called Chen Gong. My aged mother and family are in the east county of Dongjun. I am deeply affected by your loyalty and uprightness, and I will abandon my office and follow you!"

A short time later...

Wei Hong replied, "I have long desired this but, so far, have not found a person fit to undertake the task. Since you, Cao Cao, have so noble a desire, I willingly devote all my property to the cause."

Cao Cao's charisma stat must be off the fucking charts.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
Night Film book trailer is fun:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxAqFvoTtEg

there's also some "found footage" on her yt channel as well.

60 pages in, fun so far. Hoping it reminds more of Flicker down the line. And i get (good) goose bumps on the pages with the bird insignia. Joe Hill was right about one thing, that's a lot of italics

Having said that,
I found the finally twist entirely unnecessary, and I think the chapter where McGrath sits with Cordova in the nursing home is a far more natural (albeit neatly unambiguous) end point). The way the actual ending plays out just seems so artificially ambiguous to me.

I agree completely with the spoilered part. It made me like the book a little less because of how it resolved. Definitely
trying too hard to leave it open ended when it didn't need to be.

But my question is, (Cordova's daughter spoiler)
so did Cordova's daughter have a terminal illness? Or did she really think some evil devil worshipping stuff was happening? It's so hard to keep each character's realities straight

Mumei

Old prose is funny. It's a lot of pontificating and people being slain with no actual descriptions of the killing. A lot of "and then this happened and then THIS happened".

Yeah, this is one of the problems I had with Three Kingdoms. It didn't feel like an epic story so much as a series of events. I really liked some of the characters, but it wasn't in the sense that they were complex, fully-realized characters that I could actually imagine existing; they were portrayed as (semi-)legendary figures who performed nearly (or entirely) unbelievable feats.

I liked it for what it was, but it took me a lot longer than it ought to have to finish because of it.

If you want a classic chinese novel, you should read The Story of the Stone (Dream of the red Chamber). Mumei knows whats up

It is fantastic and everyone should read it.

Dai Yu > Bao Chai

Narag

Indiana Jones never pretends that there is no reason for him to be doing the things he is doing. There is limited call back in those stories in part to convey that this is just kind of what he does. In Inferno, it's like this is a wholly different parallel universe where none of the other events ever took place. It's especially bizarre because in the other books he DOES touch on past escapades.

I wonder if it was a failed attempt to convey the urgency of the situation.

Akahige

Finished Song of Kali by Dan Simmons, great book

and now onto
uryDwia.jpg

about 200 pages in so far, this book is pretty fucking expansive, almost double the words per page compared to Song of Kali and atleast 400 pages longer.

Paganmoon

Finished WebMage last night, wasn't at all what I was expecting. Thought it'd be more Cyberpunk than fantasy, but ended being pretty much only (urban) fantasy.
Bit let down by it to be perfectly honest.

Characters didn't really resonate with me, and the storytelling had too many Macguffins and Deus Ex moments where new things get added suddenly to the story out of nowhere. It seemed like the author didn't have the world he was building clear in his mind and was just building it as he went along.

My search for a good fantasy/cyberpunk/sci-fi crossover continues...

Bazza

Finished Reaper Man last night, i think its possibly my favorite Disc world book so far. The structure was quite odd,
basically 2 standalone story's (Bill Door and Windel Poons the Zombie Wizard) that didn't tie in-together directly till the last few pages. The supporting characters in this book were brilliant, The Archchancellor, Dean and The Bogeyman where my favorites in this time round.

Krowley

Finished Song of Kali by Dan Simmons, great book

and now onto
uryDwia.jpg

about 200 pages in so far, this book is pretty fucking expansive, almost double the words per page compared to Song of Kali and atleast 400 pages longer.

It's been a lot of years, but I remember thinking Carrion Comfort was truly great. Maybe even one of the best horror novels I've ever read, right up there with Stephen King's best work.I'll probably tackle it again soon myself just to make sure I'm right.

I also need to read Summer of Night again, which, if memory serves me (also read it ages ago), is just as good as Carrion Comfort, or maybe better.

I really love Simmons as a horror writer.

eznark

Banned
I wonder if it was a failed attempt to convey the urgency of the situation.

Guy stops at gives lectures on the importance and history of random art every chapter. He has time for an internal monologue of "fuck me, again??!" or "last time some lunatic did this I stopped them this way so..."

Angst

Currently reading:

hitler.jpg

in German, so it takes some extra time. Haven't made it very far. Hitler has woken up on a park bench in Berlin, 2011. Pretty funny when he adressed the kid in a football t-shirt as "Hitlerjugend Ronaldo".

After Er ist wieder da I will start on Dust.

sgossard

Currently reading this, about halfway through and really digging it.
SeC04Sh.jpg

I was never a Stones fan by any measure, and almost never read bios, but this has me quite enthralled. I would like to know if there are any comparable books about Led Zeppelin?

There's this one

586516.jpg

And I assume you know about Keith Richards' auto-bio Life.

dream

I agree completely with the spoilered part. It made me like the book a little less because of how it resolved. Definitely
trying too hard to leave it open ended when it didn't need to be.

But my question is, (Cordova's daughter spoiler)
so did Cordova's daughter have a terminal illness? Or did she really think some evil devil worshipping stuff was happening? It's so hard to keep each character's realities straight

I mostly took
Inez's explanation of events at face value, particularly when McGrath was able to corroborate the dates Ashley underwent treatment, so I think the cancer explanation is probably the truth. To me, her dramatic behavior stems from her upbringing, which seems like a way to neatly explain all of the novel's histrionics. Having said that, I don't think I can completely discount the paranormal hijinks of the novel--the snake figurine's shadow moving independently seems to signify that there's something else going on.

Nozem

I read this, and I liked it. I've never read anything from Pratchett before (yes yes, shame on me, i know). Planning to pick up the sequel soonish.

UWKJMKb.jpg

KidDork

TYxF9Gj.jpg

I thought I'd take a break from Lee. Since I'm in the middle of revisiting The Crow movies, I thought I'd give this book a shot. I love Poppy Z. Brite. I love The Crow. Hopefully two great tastes, taste great together. I guess I'll find out.

The Crow: Clash By Night by Chet Williamson was my favourite of the Crow novels. Curious as to what you think of Brite's take on the property.

Finished The Dogs of Riga, a Wallander mystery novel. The author's depiction of Wallander was the highlight, even if the plot gets a little bit unbelievable towards the end. I have never planned on visiting Riga, and this novel did nothing to sway my decision.

Undecided what to read next.

Picked up Night Film today. Got the hardcover for $12, couldn't resist at that price. Glad I did with all the webpage screencaps and stuff, doubt it would look as nice in my kindle.

Anyway, about 30 pages in and already hooked.

Fireblend

Banned
Finished Anansi Boys.

so_good.gif

Anyway, I'm hesitant about ordering Night Film, because even though it sounds like something I'd love, I don't like hardcovers as I do most of my reading on the bus or outside, and in my house they tend to collect dust unless it's December and I have time to spare. That's why it's taken me so damn long to get through 1Q84 (well, that, and it's a really lengthy read) and I don't want to make that same mistake.

Anyone have any idea when the paperback version for that will be releasing? I also decided to wait for the paperback versions of both The Shining Girls and Mr. Penumbra's for the same reasons. At least for Mr. Penumbra's it's only a month's wait.

So, having never read anything by Stephen King, I'm going ahead and ordering The Shining as my third book for this next batch.

Just finished Smiley's People, really good, much easier read than the first 2.

Reccomend me the best choice between:

Under The Dome
The Stand
The Reality Dysfunction
The Godfather
No Country For Old Men

FnordChan

Man, I love that book. It's the perfect conclusion to the Smiley/Karla trilogy. Next up on your le Carre reading list, let me recommend A Perfect Spy, so long as you're in the mood for a solid, literary kick in the teeth.

Under The Dome
The Stand

I can't comment on the other three, but if you decide you want to sit down and read a massive slab of Stephen King, absolutely go with The Stand. I like Under The Dome very much - it's a fast paced pressure cooker and is loads of fun - and I recently enjoyed re-reading it via audio book. That said, The Stand is a perennial fan favorite for a reason: it does an amazing job of depicting a terrifying apocalypse and you will get completely caught up in the fate of the survivors. Even with a second half that isn't quite up to the first, The Stand is one helluva read.

FnordChan, about to start in on The Way of Kings

Nezumi

Finished:

abfl-square-400.jpg

I forgotten who it was but thanks to person who recommended this. Fun book that, while it certainly didn't reinvent the fantasy genre, managed to stay away from being generic and full of stereotypes. The two main characters are really likable and the overall plot quite interesting even if some of the twists were a bit foreseeable. The ending left me wanting for more which is always a good thing, so I'll guess next up is:

abfk-square-400.jpg

Oh and like I mentioned before the narrator does a really good job as well.

Pau

Almost finished with Rocket Girl. I like reading about the Cold War and it's scientists, and it also serves as some inspiration before I restart my education in STEM.

I do have some issues with it: it's written by the Mary Sherman Morgan's son, and he does take a lot of liberties in the story aspect. I'm not sure how I feel about that, but I've also written about some of my dad's experiences and done the same thing. So I understand as a writer you kind of have to. But I guess I'm realizing that whatever thoughts we attribute to our parents probably say more about us than they do about them.

He also tends to go on some unnecessary tangents, but overall I'm enjoying it.

lightus

Reccomend me the best choice between:

Under The Dome
The Stand
The Reality Dysfunction
The Godfather
No Country For Old Men

The Stand if you want something longer. No Country for Old Men otherwise. They are both great books.

Cheers guys. Gonna go for NCFOM since I can probably breeze through that, then make a start on The Stand (which has an amazingly simplistic yet effective cover btw)

The Crow: Clash By Night by Chet Williamson was my favourite of the Crow novels. Curious as to what you think of Brite's take on the property.

Lazarus Heart a 90s era Poppy Z. Brite novel. That is to say the prose is gorgeously written and every other character is gay and Goth. While those trademarks are in place, the other hallmarks of his 90s output, erotic sex and graphic violence, are practically non-existent. Of course, this isn't too surprising. I don't think a licensed book in the vein of Exquisite Corpse would fly.

I really enjoyed the way he expanded on the mythology. It was nice to have some rules established for the resurrected to follow. The twist of having the Crow unable to lead Jared Poe to his intended target was unique, and helped drive the story away towards a more gray kind of revenge. The glimpse of the afterlife where the crows gather to ferry the dead was also a really nice sequence. The serial killer Poe was tracking down was suitably paranoid and deranged. His obsession with killing transgendered and homosexuals was creepy as hell.

While I've seen all the films, and read a bunch of the comics, I've never read a Crow novel before. Since I really like this one, I might check out the others. Clash by Night seems to be really different, so I might get that one.

But right now, I've started reading:

FLuAE4x.jpg

This is the first Kathe Koja I've read. I'm only a few pages into it, but I'm really enjoying it so far.

It's such a unique title that I immediately thought of this post on the previous page:
I finished Neal Stephenson's Reamde. Certainly the lesser of his work that I've read, but still fascinating, sort of like a Bourne chain of events with a dry sarcastic sense of humor and a nerd's fascination with certain details. Could have been shorter with less characters, but as it was I guess it worked alright.

Currently reading Mother Night by Vonnegut. I like it when I find one of his books that still feels fresh.

Might get a few more percentage points through Brothers Karamazov before meandering elsewhere.

EDIT: Finished Mother Night. Good stuff.

Dresden

Reading Bel Canto by Ann Pratchett. It's been long enough since I last read it that, though the general shape of the story remains in my mind, the prose itself feels fresh.

. . . and so it was a cold autumn rain and the streets were waxed in a paper-thin layer of wet red leaves.

Many similar passages with good tactile imagery. Pratchett is a pretty good writer, and it's nice to just savor a good line or two now and then. Pleasant read.

Piecake

Finished:

abfl-square-400.jpg

I forgotten who it was but thanks to person who recommended this. Fun book that, while it certainly didn't reinvent the fantasy genre, managed to stay away from being generic and full of stereotypes. The two main characters are really likable and the overall plot quite interesting even if some of the twists were a bit foreseeable. The ending left me wanting for more which is always a good thing, so I'll guess next up is:

abfk-square-400.jpg

Oh and like I mentioned before the narrator does a really good job as well.

Yup, I quite enjoyed it. LIke you said, it isnt amazing, but it is executed very well. Good characters, interesting story, and the pace is just right.

Currently reading:

hitler.jpg

in German, so it takes some extra time. Haven't made it very far. Hitler has woken up on a park bench in Berlin, 2011. Pretty funny when he adressed the kid in a football t-shirt as "Hitlerjugend Ronaldo".

After Er ist wieder da I will start on Dust.

I want to read this, but my high school German will not suffice. Damn you, aging!
(and not practicing. Easier to blame something else though)

SolKane

Finished "The Black Dahlia," was very impressed by the prose. Picked up "The Big Nowhere" and one of Ellroy's earlier books, "Brown's Requiem."

TTG

I've been engrossed by some of the public domain stuff available through the Kindle store(yea, finally got one) for the last week or so. Before I finally get back to my regular reading habits, anyone have a recommendation on that front? It's a sort of vague area, classic works that are available to the public for free(or cheap, that's fine too) through the estore, but I figure I can't be the only one who fell into that rabbit hole.

Just to give a point of reference to the stuff I've been reading on the kindle: The Picture of Dorian Gray, War of The Worlds, Don Quixote, Plato's Dialogues...

Started reading 'A People's History of the United States' by Howard Zinn recently. So far it's a really interesting read, and a perspective of the start of colonization that I have never heard this in depth before.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
I really like hard scifi and just finished Greg Bear's Eon (which wasn't exactly hard scifi but hit the right notes). After scouring the internet I found another Greg Bear novel, Blood Music which seems pretty interesting. Hoping to find time to get into it this weekend.

I really like hard scifi and just finished Greg Bear's Eon (which wasn't exactly hard scifi but hit the right notes). After scouring the internet I found another Greg Bear novel, Blood Music which seems pretty interesting. Hoping to find time to get into it this weekend.
I'm 2/3 of the way through Eon myself. Pretty good, although the whole Soviet Union being the bad guy thing was tough to get past at first.

Mumei

I've decided that just reading Gravity's Rainbow is slowing me down (since I'm not always motivated to read it), so I've started Barabbas. It is one of those rare fiction books that I found by myself while walking around the library, as opposed to having someone recommend it to me or finding it in a list somewhere or something like that. I quite like it so far.

Checking out Under the Dome. I like King's characters, but jesus he writes way too much. Lawyer like - his books could stand to be 30% shorter.

fakefaker

Couldn't finish Goldenland Past Dark by Chandler Klang Smith as it was boring me to tears. I was only around 60 pages to being done and I couldn't give a damn. Hopefully her writing will get better with her next novel...

And to deal with those tears, The Big Book of Adventure Stories by Otto Penzler!

bboas.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom