• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (August 2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
novik-blood.jpeg

Is out today.

Please be excited.

Nearing the end of The Terror. I'll be glad to be finished. Its not that I dont like it - its ok - but it just feels like I've been reading this forever. Ready for a change of pace.

yepyepyep

Just finished The Luzhin Defence by Vladimir Nabokov. I really enjoy his writing style. Does anybody have any other recomendations by him other than Lolita?

I will probably start reading Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness soon.

FYI - I Am Legend is on sale today as a Kindle daily deal for $1.99. Excellent book. Don't let the movie scare you off. They're very different. The book is better in every way.

Can you tell us a little bit about why it's so good? This is obviously one of those legendary books I've heard a lot about, but I don't know anything about it. What's good about it?

Sure !
Well other than the fact that the writing is godlike, I think that the greatest aspect of the book is that it makes your brain work way more than most books without you even realizing it. I mean, when you look at it, the story is very simple : a student, named Raskolnikov, commits murder and then feels guilty (hence the title of the book). That is how the book is usually summed up and it's pretty accurate story-wise.

But the story, even if very interesting, is almost a "pretext" for Dostoyevsky, to describe his whole world and expose his idea. The story is essentially about what causes crimes to happen (is it poverty ? Is it just human nature ?), and the concepts of remorse and redemption (should we feel guilty if we kill someone ? After all, many great men in history are responsible for millions of death..). Throughout the book you'll constantly be asking yourself questions, and will probably be rooting for Raskolnikov (meaning not wanting him to get caught or turn himself to the police), which is quite disturbing because well, he's just a killer, there's nothing great or remarkable about him..

So yeah, to answer your question, I think that the reason it's so great is that it remains interesting to read (in the sense "damn I wonder what happens in the next chapter ?!") while being one of these few books that really make people "smarter" and make us realize that there is a lot to consider when talking about crimes and the way our societies should investigate/punish it.

Plus, the edition I read was divided in parts of 150/200 pages and it was a very good way to read it, by reading one part a day you'll have finished it in les than a week so I can only encourage you to read it !

P.S : Do not hesitate to tell me if something in my message is unclear, English not being my native language I'm not exactly sure of how clear I am..

Just finished The Luzhin Defence by Vladimir Nabokov. I really enjoy his writing style. Does anybody have any other recomendations by him other than Lolita?

I will probably start reading Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness soon.

pale fire, the opening still makes me laugh

suffah

Does maths and stuff
DqsDgPw.jpg

Currently working through book one of Thomas Covenant.

Eh. I'm about 200 pages in and finding it really boring. I just picked up Way of Kings yesterday and really want to start that, but I gotta finish this first. I hope it gets better...

I think this has aged really poorly. Everyone that holds it in high regard seems to have read it 20-30 years ago.

Just finished Emperor of Thrones (kind of a let-down IMO, loved book 1 and 2) and blasted through The Warded Man.

Reading book two now:

200px-The_Desert_Spear.jpg

I finished Edward Lee's Coven earlier today. What a wild book. While the cover, title and description makes it seem like a satanic or witchcraft themed affair, it most assuredly is not. It's actually a science fiction, alien story. Of course, since it's an Edward Lee alien story, there's bodies chopped in half, philosophical zombies, chronically masturbating women and penis eating clones. Filled with black humor and ridiculous moments, it's a heap of fun. That said, it isn't a perfect book. The characters are pretty hard to like. They're either rich and pretentious jerks, bitchy women or Lee's patented brand of redneck. At points the story gets so out of control, you can feel Lee losing the narrative, almost like he started tossing in crazy shit just because. Fortunately, he always managed to get the train back on the tracks just in time.

Since I'm really digging Lee, I thought I'd move on to his next book.

d3gTH1L.jpg

Lee describes this as his personal favorite.A blend of Silence of the Lambs and the Exorcist.

Windam

Scaley member
Just finished:

Just started:

I'd already read Blood of Elves when the Orbit version came out, but since Time of Contempt was published by Gollancz for the UK back in July, I decided to order it off Book Depository along with the Gollancz version of Blood of Elves so my bookshelf didn't look ridiculous. No way I was gonna wait until the end of this month for Orbit to get their copy out (which is the same damned translation). Gotta say, despite having the same translation by the same person, the Orbit version of BoE is cleaner than Gollancz's version, which I found contained a few spelling and format errors not present in the Orbit copy. Oh well, at least Gollancz has the superior cover. (Ordered the Gollancz version of The Last Wish yesterday to complete my trinity. Haven't decided on what I'll do with my Orbit copies of The Last Wish and Blood of Elves.)

The change of translators between the two books is a bit annoying. The new translator, David French, has a somewhat drier writing style than Danusia Stok, and it seems like he translated word-for-word at certain points (never mind that he changed Dandilion to Dandelion). It's pretty off-putting, but I love The Witcher, so I'll deal with it.

Dec

Just finished:

Just started:

I'd already read Blood of Elves when the Orbit version came out, but since Time of Contempt was published by Gollancz for the UK back in July, I decided to order it off Book Depository along with the Gollancz version of Blood of Elves so my bookshelf didn't look ridiculous. No way I was gonna wait until the end of this month for Orbit to get their copy out (which is the same damned translation). Gotta say, despite having the same translation by the same person, the Orbit version of BoE is cleaner than Gollancz's version, which I found contained a few spelling and format errors not present in the Orbit copy. Oh well, at least Gollancz has the superior cover. (Ordered the Gollancz version of The Last Wish yesterday to complete my trinity. Haven't decided on what I'll do with my Orbit copies of The Last Wish and Blood of Elves.)

The change of translators between the two books is a bit annoying. The new translator, David French, has a somewhat drier writing style than Danusia Stok, and it seems like he translated word-for-word at certain points (never mind that he changed Dandilion to Dandelion). It's pretty off-putting, but I love The Witcher, so I'll deal with it.

Man I don't like those covers at all. I can't wait a decade so I ended up reading the fan translations of the ones that aren't in English, but I'll buy all the official translations as they come out in hopes that they get the remaining ones out a little faster.

Great recommendation. Do you like Calvino? Your name reminds me of one of his novels.

yes, those short stories are where i got the name from. it's the only calvino i've read and keep meaning to go back to him but my backlog is massive and i've been too busy to get much reading done in the last few months

Bazza

Halfway through Pyramids by Terry Pratchett at the moment, started the Discworld books on the 4th, i cant put them down 5 and a half books in just over a week is ridiculous.

Droplet

I just finished reading The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. I really loved it and would definitely recommend it in a heartbeat. Started up The Master and The Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov while also reading A Game of Thrones, which I started a while ago but put down since I'd already seen the first season. Martin's use of similes makes me laugh, since most of them boil down to something like, "It was hot, like fire", and sentences don't really go in the order that they make sense with. Not that a translated Russian novel reads much easier, but it's odd that I have to go back and read a sentence over a couple times in order to figure out who was doing what action because the order didn't make it clear.

I'm also considering reading something by Murakami in the future. What's something good for someone who's never encountered his work before?

Nic

Neo Member
Halfway through Pyramids by Terry Pratchett at the moment, started the Discworld books on the 4th, i cant put them down 5 and a half books in just over a week is ridiculous.

I know what you mean, I adore Pratchett.
I've just started reading "Feet of clay", after having finished "Interesting times" and "Maskerade" last week.

I've also finished reading Neil Gaiman's "The ocean at the end of the lane", what a great book.

Wurst

novik-blood.jpeg

Is out today.

Please be excited.

Is it worth it to continue reading this series?
Only read the first installment years ago and never brought myself to read further.
I have to say, it's intriguing that Novik is using different continents and cultures in each novel. And I do have the first 4 books in my bookshelf!

npm0925

Completed Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence. It is a sort of a Book of the New Sun / Black Company / Kingkiller hybrid (an immoral badass in the far future that resembles the distant past). There are some hiccups in the quality of the writing, a lot of inconsistency when it comes to anachronistic speech, and it seems as if the author frequently chooses expediency over reality with one razor thin escape after another. Despite those qaulms, I love the first person perspective and was compelled to finish the book in 3 days. It was refreshing to read a comparatively simple piece of fantasy after GRRM's complex works.

Just finished Heroes Die by Matthew Stover. I was really enjoying the book and then the ending happened. The ending was just so cookie cutter... Takes everything that they were building towards and just chucks it out the window at the same time using one of my most hated tropes to kill one of the villains.

It is lengthy. Sorry you're not digging it more, man.

No need to apologize. I do like it and its an interesting story. Its just way too long for my tastes. I think a good 100+ pages could have been taken out of the
man hauling / ice hike
part of the story. I'm finally getting to the point where stuff is going down.

noal

Banned
Finished Cell by Stephen King. I Enjoyed it until the end which I felt was a little rushed but the story and premise kept my enjoyment levels up.

Just started with Duma Key.

StiLt

First time I tried to read it, maybe 20 years ago or so, I put it down after about 100 pages. I picked it up last year and ploughed through the trilogy, but for me it falls into the "eh" category. It's solid, but I feel like maybe it didn't stand the test of time very well. Also, at least in book one Donaldson uses the word "seems" way too often. It's one of those words that in our writer's group we call "weak." The fact that we had just been talking about in our group when I read this book made it stand out even more and drove me bonkers.

And now it will drive you bonkers. Sorry.

Spot on assessment, I'd have to agree. Not just age though. I smashed through all of them as they came out and they were still firmly in the "eh" category.

Haly

Oooooooo.

And it's the second to last one, isn't it? :( There better be some
resolution to Lawrence and his plot threads in England

I haven't read it yet but if my friend's reactions are any indication lolololol.

(They're in Japan this time, home of the water dragons.)

It's very sweet and romantic though. There's nothing quite so pure as human/dragon love.
Is it worth it to continue reading this series?
Only read the first installment years ago and never brought myself to read further.
I have to say, it's intriguing that Novik is using different continents and cultures in each novel. And I do have the first 4 books in my bookshelf!
Yes. It flips flops between excitement and travelogues but Naomi goes above and beyond to make each society different and to challenge the main characters' preconceptions about human-dragon relations.

Still need to read this series, got the 1st 3 books downloaded just not started on them yet, perhaps i will look into these when i have finished the Discworld books.
That will be a long time but no rush!

Man, this reminded me I need to pick up Crucible of Gold like, yesterday.
Crucible of Gold was pretty good, if a bit travelogue-y. Dragon-centric South America was very interesting though.

Finished Kingmaker already. Kinda short but was a fun read, enjoyed it.

Picked this up on a whim and hooked me from the first page.

The Door Into Summer by Robert A. Heinlein

No need to apologize. I do like it and its an interesting story. Its just way too long for my tastes. I think a good 100+ pages could have been taken out of the
man hauling / ice hike
part of the story. I'm finally getting to the point where stuff is going down.

Yeah agree with that.

i'm only 50 pages into this behemoth of a book and am finding it difficult to press on.

Hmm, sounds kinda interesting. Let me know if you power through and if it gets any better.

Jarlaxle

Just finished Heroes Die by Matthew Stover. I was really enjoying the book and then the ending happened. The ending was just so cookie cutter... Takes everything that they were building towards and just chucks it out the window at the same time using one of my most hated tropes to kill one of the villains.

I enjoyed that book but am getting a little fuzzy on the ending.
Wasn't the villain sent back to "Caine's" world at the end. I don't remember him dying. Unless you meant the actor that betrayed them.

It's nearly impossible to find a copy of the second book unless you want a used one or you're into digital downloads. I still like a good book in my hands and would really love for them to do a reprint. Oh well, I'll keep waiting.

KidDork

I read The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant back in the Eighties and loved them. With the second trilogy I couldn't get past the first book. I'd come to Donaldson after reading Tolkien and then the first Shannara book, so there was a bit of a shock with Lord Foul's Bane. Having said that, I've never liked anything else Donaldson has done, so maybe this was his KISS ALIVE album for me.

I've been trying to get through Harlan Coben's "Deal Breaker" for the past couple of months, but I always find myself doing something other than reading a book, lol.

Pau

novik-blood.jpeg

Is out today.

Please be excited.
Oh the last of these I read was the one that took place in Australia I think. They seemed to be getting more boring with each new installment. Has it picked back up? I loved the first three.

I've been going through Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee. Shit's so incredibly fucked up and we just glossed through it in the several U.S. History courses I've taken throughout the years.

Haly

Oh the last of these I read was the one that took place in Australia I think. They seemed to be getting more boring with each new installment. Has it picked back up? I loved the first three.

I skipped the Australia one entirely.

The South America one (Crucible of Gold) was decent.

I'm reading Winter is Coming: Symbols and Hidden Meanings in A Game of Thrones on my Kindle and furthermore this:

I really like it so far (50 pages in).

Can someone recommend me a good (crime) novel that mindfucks the shit out of me? Something in the vein of Shutter Island or The Murder of Roger Ackroyd?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom