• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (August 2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kallor

The first Malazan book is way more readable than I thought it would be. The number one thing I heard about this series was that you kind of have to force yourself through the first one, but all the others are great.

Constantly hearing that probably made me expect utter indecipherable nonsense. Sure, it's complicated and kind of throws you in the middle of events without explaining much, but I still have enough information to be able to keep up.

Absolutely how I felt. Went in expecting to be confused the entire time and quit halfway through. For me, the only trouble was remembering who was who.

Now get on that Deadhouse Gates.

Currently reading

UwrMw6d.jpg

and

G5OnNLT.jpg

Mr.Swag

Banned
The dream lives on!

Just started reading "Brilliance". It's fuckig Xmen.

Reminds me of the family guy ep with lame superpowers. It's good so far tho.

God I want to fall asleep already. Have to be awake in less than three hours and I can't fall asleep.

Finished 600 Hours of Edward. What a great book, the main character was so endearing and the story well-paced and compelling. Thanks to those who recommended it in this thread! It didn't leave me thinking there should be a sequel, so I was surprised to see that there is one in the works; should be interesting to see how that turns out.

Lumiere

Neo Member
I requested a few books for the digital catalog of the local library, and to my surprise they actually purchased a bunch of them after a couple of weeks. For some reason I always feel somewhat guilty when the library purchases something I've requested, so I checked all of them out and started reading right away.
I've gone through Octavia E. Butler's Xenogenesis trilogy this week and thought it was great, but also very unsettling and even disturbing at times.... well, in actuality, I'd say that all the Octavia E. Butler I've read so far has been great but also disturbing, especially Bloodchild. I have Parable of the Sower & sequel lined up as well and will probably be reading them next week.

I also just got DUST - ordered a signed copy of the ugly (self-published) edition and Hugh Howey actually shipped the signed copies early! Really looking forward to reading it, but the library deadlines are pressuring me into finishing all my library check-outs first D:

ShaneB

Finished 600 Hours of Edward. What a great book, the main character was so endearing and the story well-paced and compelling. Thanks to those who recommended it in this thread! It didn't leave me thinking there should be a sequel, so I was surprised to see that there is one in the works; should be interesting to see how that turns out.

:D Glad you liked it too

The sequel not in the works, it's out and readily available to read :) Edward Adrift.

Don't most people do this after movie/tv adaptation? Heck, I'm even picturing Tom Cruise when reading about Reacher. Which is weird, because in my mind I have his face plastered on this huge body :D

Yeah I figured. I can never read books after seeing the movie first though, so was just curious.

I did read Dance With Dragons after watching the first season of the show and was pleasantly surprised that I still pictured all the characters as I had before. Not sure if that will still be the case if Winds ever comes out.

Just finished this, the 3rd book in the Expanse novels. Apparently the author is under contract to make 4 more! Cant wait, I love these books and the characters within, reminds me of a mix between Mass Effect and Star Wars.

BjRoGne.jpg

This is my next one. Always heard good things about this and I've always wanted to read it:

YB4IBiL.jpg

NekoFever

Any books y'all refuse to read for a stupid reason?
There's a certain author which isn't that famous that ha authored three books I'll never read.

My reason?
He and I share the same exact name.

I fuckig hate seeing my name on a book I didn't write myself. Makes me sad, and makes my dream of being published one day, an unaccomplishable one.

On the name-sharing thing, I've got a friend called Dan Brown. He's something of a literary snob and used to be pretty religious, so it drives him nuts that people always talk about The Da Vinci Code whenever they find out his name.

Narag

Wool Omnibus (Silo, #1) by Hugh Howey

Didn't think this was all that good. It was somewhat entertaining but really hit or miss. I suppose how I can see how it's appealing to others with the dystopia and class struggle stuff but neither clicked with me. I'll probably reinstall Fallout at least so there's that much.

Don't get me wrong guys, I love my Kindle and wouldn't trade it for the world. But there are some things that are still better in paperback as long as the interface is so slow.

Have you used a Paperwhite? They are quite fast, fast enough for me anyhow. I have a bigger problem with the awful touchscreen, I'd like to also have physical buttons as well as an option to turn pages because I'm always misfiring it

El Daniel

A Storm of Swords

Have been reading A Song Of Ice And Fire everyday for the last 4 weeks, but now I really can't put this book down.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Have you used a Paperwhite? They are quite fast, fast enough for me anyhow. I have a bigger problem with the awful touchscreen, I'd like to also have physical buttons as well as an option to turn pages because I'm always misfiring it
I'm using a Paperwhite yes.

I need it to go faster.

I need to be able to do like, a special (maybe multitouch?) swipe that rapidly flips through pages.

Hanzou

51C4GfAHKZL._SL500_.jpg

This series is good. Damn good. Really happy I decided to sit down and read it, I've heard it only gets better from here.

I am looking at starting this series actually. What kind of "Fantasy" is it? Am I going to see wizards throwing fireballs and people going on adventures or is more of a society/political Drama that takes place in a fantasy world that has magic?

Piecake

I am looking at starting this series actually. What kind of "Fantasy" is it? Am I going to see wizards throwing fireballs and people going on adventures or is more of a society/political Drama that takes place in a fantasy world that has magic?

more focused on characters and society/politics. The magic system is pretty interesting as well. Not simply your typical fireball pew pew thing

Mumei

more focused on characters and society/politics. The magic system is pretty interesting as well. Not simply your typical fireball pew pew thing

Do you have any recommendations for a good typical fireball pew pew fantasy series? I'd like to read one sometime.

Hanzou

Do you have any recommendations for a good typical fireball pew pew fantasy series? I'd like to read one sometime.

I would recommend starting with the Legend of Drizzt book "Homeland" or the Icewind Dale series. Icewind dale series was written first but Homeland starts with Drizzt Being Born and how he got above land. Great D&D type books.

Dec

I've been reading The Witcher saga again. Never actually finished either of the games but I'm hoping maybe rereading/playing in chronological order will give me a bit of a push.

Piecake

I am honestly having a hard time thinking of one, lol. Does Discworld count? haha, if so, that.

When i think of traditional pew pew fireball fantasy I think of lord of the rings and its knock offs, and I really can't think of any good ones at the moment besides that. I know The Magician series by Raymond Feist is probably the next bet (tried reading it, didnt really like it) or the Belgariad by Eddings (tried it, but didnt like it).

Of course, the reasons why i didnt like it was that I really couldnt get into the characters.

I think the Long Price Quartet definitely has a very interesting magic system, so I personally would go with that if you just want some cool magic. Brandon Sanderson also always comes up with a cool magic system. Way of Kings is quite good. Mistborn focuses more on the magic system though. I didnt like it as much, but it was still good. Characters, their interactions, and the plot (not a blatant hero's journey) are also a lot more interesting than the ones that i mentioned in the previous paragraph

Haly

The MTG "novels"?

Granted, they are very inconsistent in terms of quality, and there's a wide variety of worlds and plotlines to pick from.

It's pretty much all pew pew magic though.

Just finished Erik Larson's The Devil In The White City. Amazing nonfiction, read like fiction. Holmes was one scary criminal genius psychopath, the depth of his planning and the way he manipulated everyone...

Starting Craig Dilouie's Tooth and Nail. It's like a zombie outbreak in Manhattan meets Black Hawk Down, an on the ground infantry view of the outbreak. Very thrilling so far. Recommended

tooth-and-nail.jpg

Haly

I think "pew pew fantasy" refers to the more simplistic D&D-esque fantasy books where good triumphs over evil and wizards are slinging spells like cowboys in a bad western.

Grudy

I've been meaning to start reading Agatha Christie's books but there are so many I don't know where to start. Any suggestions gaf?

survivor

Banned
I've been meaning to start reading Agatha Christie's books but there are so many I don't know where to start. Any suggestions gaf?

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd
And Then There Were None
Murder on the Orient Express
Hercule Poirot's Christmas

Outside of the second one, all of them feature Poirot which I personally prefer over Agatha's other detectives and the stories without one of her recurring characters.

Grudy

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd
And Then There Were None
Murder on the Orient Express
Hercule Poirot's Christmas

Outside of the second one, all of them feature Poirot which I personally prefer over Agatha's other detectives and the stories without one of her recurring characters.

Thanks a lot. I've never read detective/mystery books before so this should be a good start.

Jintor

I've always liked Feist's Magician. Just the first book though, it gets a lot more pew-pew afterwards. Except for the "of the Empire" series he did with Jenny Wurts which was absolutely fascinating since it was based more on an Asian/Japan-inspired fantasy universe

Anyway, finished this:

Hiroshima Nagasaki by Paul Ham

An amazing, well-researched tale that takes the simplistic assertion 'the atomic bombs were necessary to win the war without sacrificing even more lives' and puts it to the test.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Any books y'all refuse to read for a stupid reason?
There's a certain author which isn't that famous that ha authored three books I'll never read.

My reason?
He and I share the same exact name.

I fuckig hate seeing my name on a book I didn't write myself. Makes me sad, and makes my dream of being published one day, an unaccomplishable one.

Yeah me too, motherfucker got my name and writes shitty books with it. Bah.

Finished up Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill last week, really enjoyed it. Never really read much horror before but I liked being creeped out by a book. any more horror recommendations GAF? The scarier the better.

Started off Contact in the meantime too, about 1/4 into it. Seems pretty good so far, I like the hard science that Sagan uses, feels like I'm learning something. Hope it's good when the alien is revealed.

EvaristeG

Banned
maus+cover.jpg

This for the first time. Usually, books/movies/whatever about the holocaust irritate me because of the emotional angle, here it's more light hearted, and yet still very dark and sad. The medium is also used in an interesting manner. Good read so far.

ShaneB

Bit of a big post coming, so my apologies!

Finished
Emperor of Thorns by Mark Lawrence
Ending was so unexpectedly touching I ended up giving it 5 stars. Series is a great ride. Recommended.
Perhaps I'll have to check this series out than.

Just finished this, the 3rd book in the Expanse novels. Apparently the author is under contract to make 4 more! Cant wait, I love these books and the characters within, reminds me of a mix between Mass Effect and Star Wars.

re:Abbadon's Gate
I think it's 3 more plus a bunch of smaller novellas? Either way, yeah, I've loved the series and glad it's continuing on though. A mix between ME and SW is definitely not how I would describe it though :p It's all good, as long as you're enjoying it!

Yeah I figured. I can never read books after seeing the movie first though, so was just curious.

I guess it just feels odd sometimes, it's probably why I'm not giving the books 5's. The world building/self imagining is limited since I've got a reference point in my head from the first movie. It's not so bad now that I'm onto the third book and I'm really invested in what happens and the characters,etc, but it's just that little tiny bit that makes my mind wander about picturing it as the eventual movie instead of just enjoying the story per se.

Oh man! I just assumed (no idea why). Have you read it?

I sure have. I love both of them, and maybe everyone is sick of me talking about them :p I preferred the first book just slightly, but I gave both books 5/5 on goodreads with extremely positive recommendations.

eznark

Banned
Been seeing them recommended for years and I finally caved and read (listened to) Lies of Locke Lamora and Red Seas Under Red Skies. Awesome books. Really well written, clever, funny and still, at times, kind of brutal. Great reads. Really looking forward to the next one.

First fantasy books I've liked in a really, really long time.

I also read The City and the City recently. Probably the best novel I've read in...a decade? Fantastically well crafted, just great pure writing.

Been seeing them recommended for years and I finally caved and read (listened to) Lies of Locke Lamora and Red Seas Under Red Skies. Awesome books. Really well written, clever, funny and still, at times, kind of brutal. Great reads. Really looking forward to the next one.

First fantasy books I've liked in a really, really long time.

I also read The City and the City recently. Probably the best novel I've read in...a decade? Fantastically well crafted, just great pure writing.

According to amazon, the third book in the series called republic of thieves comes out in October. Super excited for that

eznark

Banned
According to amazon, the third book in the series called republic of thieves comes out in October. Super excited for that

Yeah, I looked into a bit after Red Sea. I guess there is also a collection of short stories that detail more of the Gentlemen Bastards escapades prior to Lies that will be coming out shortly after the third book.

Jag

Pretty much any Forgotten Realms series, with the aforementioned Drizzt books being a good start, although I would recommend Icewind Dale since that is where it started.

If you want great old school Fireball Fantasy (a new sub-genre), then go pick up the Dragonlance series starting with Dragons of Autumn Twilight. No one pew pews better than Raistlin Majere!

I actually haven't read these books since they came out in the mid-80s and I was an impressionable kid, but I still have a soft spot for them.

Blitzzz

Just finished Sophie's World, moving onto this

Prisoner of Heaven

Any other Zafon fans here? What did you think of pic related?

I just finished it last week. Great supplemental book if you enjoy the series, but it comes up short as a standalone book. Did you read Angel's Game?

Enjoying Moonwalking with Einstein a lot. The narrator is excellent and I've learned a few things even though it's not a self help book.

The Curse of Chalion is starting to slow down a bit for me. The main character is a little too knowledgeable about everything. The guy was just a soldier that liked to read.... how does he have such a deep understanding of politics and the underlying wheelings and dealings?

Bazza

Im halfway through Wyrd Sisters after starting the Discworld series last weekend, i cant put them down. I finish 1 book and i'm buying the next on Kindle immediately after.

Haly

Im halfway through Wyrd Sisters after starting the Discworld series last weekend, i cant put them down. I finish 1 book and i'm buying the next on Kindle immediately after.

Sweeeeeet. Pratchett didn't really hit his stride until Guards! Guards! so it's uphill from here.

Seanspeed

Banned
Finally read the last book in the Revelation Space series.

9IyIu5g.jpg

It started off slow but got pretty good a little ways in. The problem was that so much was unresolved near the very end still that I was really wondering how they were going to end it within such a short period of time. Made me worried. And sure enough, the ending was very unsatisfying. Very little closure, certain important things were given just a few sentences of page time, and there was a good amount left unexplained.

Kinda disappointed overall, even though I enjoyed it still. I think the author's at his best when discussing the science-y stuff. He does a really good of throwing up interesting ideas and incorporating them into the story well. He's not quite as good at character development, though.

I'm torn on reading some of the side story books of his in the Revelation Space universe. Maybe some other time. For now, I'll be starting on The Way of Kings. I'm not feeling terribly adventurous and a lot of people seem to really like this, so I figured I'll give it a go.

Narag

Pretty much any Forgotten Realms series, with the aforementioned Drizzt books being a good start, although I would recommend Icewind Dale since that is where it started.

If you want great old school Fireball Fantasy (a new sub-genre), then go pick up the Dragonlance series starting with Dragons of Autumn Twilight. No one pew pews better than Raistlin Majere!

I actually haven't read these books since they came out in the mid-80s and I was an impressionable kid, but I still have a soft spot for them.

IIRC both suffer from this adherence to the ruleset and you can pretty much envision where the dice rolls would be. Another issue is The first Icewind Dale and the first Dragonlance trilogy suffer from one character in each being handled much more carefully compared to the rest who seem like they're just along for the ride. Drizzt and Raistlin respectively.

I've a soft spot for then myself but figure people ought to know what they're getting into.

DqsDgPw.jpg

Currently working through book one of Thomas Covenant.

Eh. I'm about 200 pages in and finding it really boring. I just picked up Way of Kings yesterday and really want to start that, but I gotta finish this first. I hope it gets better...

Mifune

Mehmber

The premise was so brilliant that I wish I found the plot more compelling. But it's still a wonderful book. And one I love to recommend to people just to see their eyes light up when I tell them what it's about. It really is an ingenious idea.

DqsDgPw.jpg

Currently working through book one of Thomas Covenant.

Eh. I'm about 200 pages in and finding it really boring. I just picked up Way of Kings yesterday and really want to start that, but I gotta finish this first. I hope it gets better...
First time I tried to read it, maybe 20 years ago or so, I put it down after about 100 pages. I picked it up last year and ploughed through the trilogy, but for me it falls into the "eh" category. It's solid, but I feel like maybe it didn't stand the test of time very well. Also, at least in book one Donaldson uses the word "seems" way too often. It's one of those words that in our writer's group we call "weak." The fact that we had just been talking about in our group when I read this book made it stand out even more and drove me bonkers.

And now it will drive you bonkers. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom