• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (August 2014)

3684856.jpg

Been wanting to read some more Christopher Moore since I heard his next book would be a sequel to A Dirty Job, so I decided to jump into Fool.

Angst

61fyredjeUL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

75 % done and I'm loving it! It started out a bit slow but once they left Lonesome Dove
I still don't understand why it's called Lonesome Dove when only the first quarter of the book is spent there...
the pace really picked up.

hEist

finished in the last weeks:

18774020.jpg

enjoyed it, but somehow a bit to short for me. Specially in this world.
Any word, if there will be a sequel?
3/5

tuf01.jpg

loved it. good start, awesome character. a sequel would be nice, but after he finishes the other books.
4/5

19288043.jpg

really good
, but disappointed about the ending.
4/5

and it's the first time, that i don't have any books on my to-do-list. need some recommendations.

Is any Tom Clancy novel a must read? Never read one. Don't care for reading such a large series in chronological order, so I want to just try out the best one.

Start with Hunt for Red October, if you haven't seen the movie. That book went off like a bomb when it first came out. I was interning in D.C. at the time, and EVERYONE was reading it on the Metro, etc. Plus, it's fantastic.

So, it's widely known that they've changed the ending for the movie (which Flynn wrote the screenplay for, so it's blessed by her). Here's my guess, which you don't have to be a rocket surgeon to come up with:

He really IS going to kill her at the end.

Maybe
she kills him--------------------

Yeah apparently Ridley Scott has been shopping it for awhile but kept getting turned down by various studios but Amazon just gave the greenlight last month for The Man in the High Castle series.

http://deadline.com/2014/07/the-man-in-the-high-castle-just-add-magic-amazon-studios-pilots-809111/

Very exciting news for PKD fans!

If only Ridley hadn't just made Prometheus and proved he has no idea what he's doing.

61fyredjeUL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

75 % done and I'm loving it! It started out a bit slow but once they left Lonesome Dove
I still don't understand why it's called Lonesome Dove when only the first quarter of the book is spent there...

This is my favorite book of all time! I do a re-read every couple of years.

I'm about 3/4 of the way through Freedom (TM) and it's pissing me off. To the point of it's affecting my mood when I'm not reading it. I'm going to have to finish it soon just so I can be in a better mood.

daemon-freedom-cover-sm.jpg

The interesting thing about the first book is how it
completely changes direction on you about 7/8 of the way through. It changes who the good/bad guys are in a complete 180 and you're left wondering what exactly is going on. It was well done because it was so out of left field. The second book has some rote moments where you know exactly what's going to happen when it happens but it does manage to surprise every now and then.

besada

Banned
I'm taking a little Vokosigan break in between The Vor Game and Cetaganda to read some comics.

Currently reading a compiled War of Kings from Marvel. Caught up on God is Dead (which is a hilariously fucked up comic).

Then back to Cetaganda, plus maybe another one before the real deal -- Acceptance by Jeff VanderMeer -- comes out.

I'm also looking forward to the new Scalzi and new Hiaasen.

obin_gam

Last fall I started with the Horus Heresy books. I goth through the six (or thereabouts) first ones and then I had enough for one year.
Now I'm starting it up again beginning with A Thousand Sons by Dan Abnett
Thousand%20Sons%20audio.jpg

Am about 25% into it and it's a bit confusing I have to say. Now I think they are flying their consciousness around over a cursed mountain or something... I dont really get it...

Yesterday I read this
Tsukuru Tazaki had four best friends at school. By chance all of their names contained a colour. The two boys were called Akamatsu, meaning 'red pine', and Oumi, 'blue sea', while the girls' names were Shirane, 'white root', and Kurono, 'black field'. Tazaki was the only last name with no colour in it.

One day Tsukuru Tazaki's friends announced that they didn't want to see him, or talk to him, ever again.

Since that day Tsukuru has been floating through life, unable to form intimate connections with anyone. But then he meets Sara, who tells him that the time has come to find out what happened all those years ago.

Today I'm reading this
When Yuko Moriguchi's four-year-old daughter died in the middle school where she teaches, everyone thought it was a tragic accident.

It's the last day of term, and Yuko's last day at work. She tells her students that she has resigned because of what happened - but not for the reasons they think.

Her daughter didn't die in an accident. Her daughter was killed by two people in the class. And before she leaves, she has a lesson to teach...

But revenge has a way of spinning out of control, and Yuko's last lecture is only the start of the story. In this bestselling Japanese thriller of love, despair and murder, everyone has a confession to make, and no one will escape unharmed.

Re: Gone Girl -- Really? I thought the book's ending was okay after I thought about it.
Two crappy people deserve each other, no?

I'd prefer to think I live in a world where
two crappy people either divorce or one kills the other. Living together just to torture one another doesn't ring true - sorry.

Cyrus_Saren

Just started Last Argument of Kings by Joe Abercrombie. Hoping to get some more time to read since I am missing it and I have a considerable backlog at this point.

Hanzou

Last fall I started with the Horus Heresy books. I goth through the six (or thereabouts) first ones and then I had enough for one year.
Now I'm starting it up again beginning with A Thousand Sons by Dan Abnett
Thousand%20Sons%20audio.jpg

Am about 25% into it and it's a bit confusing I have to say. Now I think they are flying their consciousness around over a cursed mountain or something... I dont really get it...

How were the first few Heresy books you read? I know almost nothing about the 40K universe besides playing few video games, are they good?

Mathi

How were the first few Heresy books you read? I know almost nothing about the 40K universe besides playing few video games, are they good?
There are many different writers involved, so the quality of the series is all over the place, but I found most of them very enjoyable. Everything written by Dan Abnett or Aaron Dembski-Bowden is usually very good.
However, there are now 30 books in the series, so I wouldn't recommend starting with the Horus Heresy if you're completely new to 40k. There was a thread about 40k novels a few days ago here, that had a lot of good recommendations in it.

obin_gam

The first three in the series are great. Horus Rising, Falls Gods, and Galaxy in Flames.
They are a trilogy where we follow the Warmaster (basically the Field Marshal) Horus as he falls from grace through his own actions to save the galaxy. Think of it like the Star Wars prequels, except with a protagonist you actually like and care about, and with consequences that actually matters.

If you're trying the books out, at least read (or listen to) this trilogy. It sets up the whole universe in an exciting, dark and action filled way. The rest of the series are basically stand alone stories set either shortly after or at the same time as the Horus Rising events.

I'm really happy this thread exists. I've been looking to read a book...just any book, but I'm absolutely clueless. It's a hobby I used to enjoy but college and life happened but I'm ready to make this part of my routine again.

Dark_Places_cover.jpg

Just finished Dark Places, not as good as Gone Girl (which I liked the ending to!) but still a good read. Will check out Sharp Objects eventually but next up is The Last Policeman. I know nothing about it other than it's a trilogy and some people in this thread liked it. Thanks GAF.

The_Last_Policeman_book_cover.jpg

Rayven

aka surume
Finished Book of the New Sun: Shadow and Claw last night and immediately started Sword and Citadel.

Really enjoying the weird mysterious universe, but the story is a bit more meandering than the focused first part implied. There are scenes and characters on the way to the House Absolute that almost have a Wonderland vibe.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I just finished The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle and started this tonight

0j00Avv.jpg

Mr.Swag

Banned
D_Places_cover.jpg

Just finished Dark Places, not as good as Gone Girl (which I liked the ending to!) but still a good read. Will check out Sharp Objects eventually but next up...]
I also liked Dark Places, idk how many times she had to tell us about the protagonists large breasts tho. There's a small budget adaption in production. Cant wait.

I also need to read Sharp Pbjects.
When G, Flynn going to come out with another novel?
I would assume around Gone Girl film release for max hype, but I haven't read any news.

Cade

Finished Snowblind. Interesting book, ended up guessing the "killer last page" (King's words about the book, not mine) a few pages early, though I wasn't sure about a detail. Kind of had hoped the book would be scarier overall, but it was good enough.

NOW I'm starting The Sisters Brothers. Hype.

I also liked Dark Places, idk how many times she had to tell us about the protagonists large breasts tho. There's a small budget adaption in production. Cant wait.

I also need to read Sharp Pbjects.
When G, Flynn going to come out with another novel?
I would assume around Gone Girl film release for max hype, but I haven't read any news.

Not sure how small a budget it's going to be....they have an awesome cast.

Charlize Theron as Libby Day
Christina Hendricks as Patty Day
Nicholas Hoult as Lyle
Chloë Grace Moretz as Young Diondra Wertzner
Tye Sheridan as Young Ben Day
Corey Stoll as Ben Day
Andrea Roth as Diondra Wertzner
Sean Bridgers as Runner Day
Drea de Matteo as Krissi Cates
Addy Miller as Young Krissi Cates
Sterling Jerins as Young Libby Day
Shannon Kook as Young Trey Teepano

Finished the first law trilogy by audiobook. Loved it, for the most part. playing with and subverting tropes while still providing opportunities to enjoy things got reasons besides irony.

Started listening to the first of the standalone novels in the same setting. Massive narrator downgrade. I think the original guy comes back for a more recent book though

OTE=ph33nix;125470634]I'm really happy this thread exists. I've been looking to read a book...just any book, but I'm absolutely clueless. It's a hobby I used to enjoy but college and life happened but I'm ready to make this part of my routine again.[/QUOTE]

Any kind of preference to help people give recommendations?

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Finished up the Enchiridion of Epictetus. I really enjoyed it. Much more accessible than Of Peace of Mind by Seneca and right up there with Meditations. Lots of food for thought, and so now I'm working on "The Golden Sayings of Epictetus".

These books have inspired me to examine myself and my behaviors and how I react to stimuli. I appreciate them. I noticed that there was a desperate lack of "Stoicism quote" images on Facebook so I actually started a group where each day I've been putting some quote I've found meaningful onto an original photograph.

I know, guys. The fuckin' world of high art over here :/

thomaser

Finished Tokyo (also called The Devil in Nanjing) by Mo Hayder. Have to admit that I didn't have high hopes, due to the ugly, cheap-looking cover of my version. But I was luckily wrong. It's an original, thoughtful crime-novel. The plot jumps between two stories: one in the present time, where a troubled girl travels to Tokyo with no money and no plan except to find a video she once read about that documented the Rape of Nanjing. She is obsessed with this, and is willing to do anything to get it. She meets the guy who owns the video, an old Chinese professor, but he is unwilling to let her see it until she does him a big favour. The other story takes place in 1937, during the Rape of Nanjing, and tells of how the Chinese professor lived through those days. The two stories are heavily intertwined, and lead to encounters with the yakuza and one of the most frightening killers I have read about. The book does feel contrived at times, with some cheap ways to create conflict and some fairly unbelievable developments. But it is, on the whole, very well written, with great characters and settings, and a well-researched and harrowing historical connection.

Now, on to the last part of Oscar Wilde's complete works: The "Essays, Selected Journalism, Lectures and Letters". I bet there's a lot of good stuff in there!

What's your opinion on the sequel and the prequels? I'm considering reading the prequels later, but I've seen some negative reviews online.

I never read them. My dad introduced me to Lonesome Dove, and he didn't enjoy the other books. He and I have very similar tastes, so I never tried them.

Still one of my favorite books of all time. If you like this, you should also read the others in the series. I would read them in order of publication. Kinda weird but Lonesome Dove is actually Book 3!

I like "adventure" books of all kinds. Whether it be historical fiction, sci-fi/fantasy, war novels, survival stories, whatever they might be. I feel like I've exhausted most of the good historical adventures, so I've started getting more into the sci-fi and fantasy. So much content.

I recently finished the following series. The first book was AMAZING! The 2nd two were great, but didn't have that sense of mystery and discovery like the first one.

silosaga.jpg

Most recently, I read Leviathan Wakes. Not bad, but I am not tempted to jump into Book 2 immediately. I will probably pick it up at some point.

51Ys51PMPYL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I also finished the following 2 books, and I am just dying for the third one to come out:

WoK-WoR.jpg

Reading those led me to the following, which I just started last night. Looking forward to a long epic.

228665.jpg

ShaneB

I'm really happy this thread exists. I've been looking to read a book...just any book, but I'm absolutely clueless. It's a hobby I used to enjoy but college and life happened but I'm ready to make this part of my routine again.

Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend is certainly what I seem to always recommend, and there are always great books mentioned in these threads. Hope you stick around!

ah Lonesome Dove, certainly something I should read myself one of the days. I even started it a while ago before moving on.

I'm really liking 'Life Among Giants', but it just feels like a long read, so just seems pretty slow going.

duckroll

Finished Gone Girl. I liked it. It's definitely a high concept pulp thriller - the premise is improbable, yet engaging because of the quirks in the narrative and how strange things seem, it's artificially constructed to deceive and appear clever at key points of the story, but in the end the pacing is so brisk it's hard to put down. I can definitely see why Fincher got attached to the project too. It's totally his "thing" even though it doesn't seem like it on the surface.

More thoughts about the divisive ending:

I think it was perfectly fine, and a fitting ending to the narrative format of the book. About half way through the story it becomes incredibly clear that the nature of the thriller is not the alleged crime, but rather the psychological game between Nick and Amy. It also becomes clear that the meta layer of the narrative is as important as the actual events - both characters are making their case to the reader, trying to sway opinions one way or another. They're both really fucked up people who desperately need vindication for what they have done and who they are. As such there is no clear answer for the conclusion.

In the end they both technically got what they wanted, but neither are really satisfied with it. They continue their game long after the audience has lost interest, and whether one eventually does kill the other no longer matters. What was important was that they both know that they lost in a way, while also realizing that the things they wanted most is a sort of illusion.

It'll be interesting to see how the ending is changed in the film. I suspect that while certain outcomes might play out differently, the tone of the ending will largely remain the same. There has to be a lingering sense of dissatisfaction for both characters for the ending to be thematically consistent with the story itself.

Finished Authority. I actually liked it just as much, if not more than than Annihilation. Such a delightfully weird, horrific series of books. Control is another great character and I cannot wait for Acceptance.
Control and Ghost Bird getting up to all kinds of hijinks in Area X, aww yiss. Edit: Or maybe not, just read the description for Acceptance and sounds like it's about a totally different expedition.

Now reading:

18812405.jpg

I've heard good things so I'm looking forward to reading this.

Finished Gone Girl. I liked it. It's definitely a high concept pulp thriller - the premise is improbable, yet engaging because of the quirks in the narrative and how strange things seem, it's artificially constructed to deceive and appear clever at key points of the story, but in the end the pacing is so brisk it's hard to put down. I can definitely see why Fincher got attached to the project too. It's totally his "thing" even though it doesn't seem like it on the surface.

Totally agree with all your points, including your thoughts on the ending. I was a little disappointed but upon reflection, the ending seems appropriate. Gillian Flynn wrote the screenplay for the movie as well, so I'm curious to see what changes she makes to the story to make it more accessible for movie audiences.

Any kind of preference to help people give recommendations?

I have to be honest, I wouldn't have too much of an idea, but for starters, something fictional. And something with comedy?

I am just going to dive into what I see recommended here and then I will know my tastes more. It's like dating as a teen :D

Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend is certainly what I seem to always recommend, and there are always great books mentioned in these threads. Hope you stick around!

ah Lonesome Dove, certainly something I should read myself one of the days. I even started it a while ago before moving on.

I'm really liking 'Life Among Giants', but it just feels like a long read, so just seems pretty slow going.

I will check that out, thanks!

Epcott

The Great Hunt: Wheel of Time Book II by Robert Jordan.

What have I gotten myself into? At least this series will tide me over until The Winds of Winter (I hope!)

MoodyFog

6a010535ce1cf6970c0147e06846e8970b-pi

Started reading this, Ask the Dust by John Fante.
I love it so far, and I can certainly see how he influenced Charles Bukowski.

Alucard

Banned
Finished these so far this month: (after not really reading for 4 months or so)

chris-jericho-undisputed-book.jpg

An entertaining account of Jericho's career from his WWE debut until his first WWE return. Enjoyed the backstage details, as well as the rock and roll road stories with Fozzy. 4/5

tough-sht.jpg

As foul-mouthed and linguistically eloquent as you'd expect from Kevin Smith. The life advice isn't ground-breaking, but it's a nice reminder of things we all know. (do what you love, find a way to monetize it, be good to people, etc.) There are some hilarious stories in here too. And Bruce Willis is an asshole. 4/5

Jonathan_Wright_Heretics_sm.jpg

A speedwalk through the history of heresy in Western Christianity. Compelling stuff when he takes the time to delve into things, but this is more of a primer for the topic with various names strewn throughout as touchstones that demand deeper research on your own. Still, fascinating, objective, and a good starting point for those interested in the topic. 3.5/5

Now, I'm going to go back to a book I started and put down mooooonths ago...
220px-Miche_poland_1st_ed.jpg

As a native Pole, I'm intrigued. About 150 pages in out of 600+.

9780553260113.jpg

Started slow and is surprisingly different from the film. Enjoyable read thus far and I'm hoping to finish it up this week sometime.

Managed to get Identy/Supremacy/Ultimatum/Imperative for quite cheap not long ago and was putting the series off for a while. Kind of regretting it now. Good stuff.

Also got Brad Thor's Black List HC for $5 at Barnes earlier today. So that's nice.

6a010535ce1cf6970c0147e06846e8970b-pi

Started reading this, Ask the Dust by John Fante.
I love it so far, and I can certainly see how he influenced Charles Bukowski.

Yeah the guy was awesome. I've only read Dreams of Bunker Hill but it was great. As you say, I can see how Bukowski (I noticed a lot of similarities between Bunker Hill and Post Office) and Hunter S Thompson were possibly influenced by him.

I am about 130 pages into The Way of Kings. Pretty interesting, but it hasn't quite hooked me in yet.

Wait for it .. wait for ittttttttttt ...

Such a good book. And the series only gets better.

Top Bottom