• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (August 2014)

kswiston

Last Argument of Kings by Joe Abercrombie. Currently 3-4 chapters in. Going to be interesting once I finish this since I am not sure what I should read next. There's so many other books I have to go through that I don't know where to start.

I'd take a bit of a break first, but Abercrombie's following three novels are all part of that same larger story. Best Served Cold is probably the most loosely related (though it does move forward the overall world narrative), but a lot of the main and ancillary cast members show up in The Heroes and Red Country.

Althane

I'd take a bit of a break first, but Abercrombie's following three novels are all part of that same larger story. Best Served Cold is probably the most loosely related (though it does move forward the overall world narrative), but a lot of the main and ancillary cast members show up in The Heroes and Red Country.

I've been listening to Abercrombie's books, and have just finished The Heroes.

I'm tempted to take a break, just because the unrelenting darkness gets tiring after a while, but Abercrombie manages to keep you going with dark humor, and occasional bright spots and happy moments, in a world that's pretty shit.

I'm actually thinking of getting a different audiobook, finish it, then wrap up Abercrombie with Red Country.

Maybe a lighter and fluffier Fantasy or SF series would be good. I've read most the standard (Dresden, Iron Druid, Thieftaker, etc) SF/F, and much of the Epic ones (although Book of the Fallen is... intense). I'd go for Prince of Thorns, but... again, something lighter and fluffier might be better received. Any suggestions?

kswiston

I've been listening to Abercrombie's books, and have just finished The Heroes.

I'm tempted to take a break, just because the unrelenting darkness gets tiring after a while, but Abercrombie manages to keep you going with dark humor, and occasional bright spots and happy moments, in a world that's pretty shit.

I'm actually thinking of getting a different audiobook, finish it, then wrap up Abercrombie with Red Country.

Maybe a lighter and fluffier Fantasy or SF series would be good. I've read most the standard (Dresden, Iron Druid, Thieftaker, etc) SF/F, and much of the Epic ones (although Book of the Fallen is... intense). I'd go for Prince of Thorns, but... again, something lighter and fluffier might be better received. Any suggestions?

The lead character in the Broken Empire trilogy (Prince/King/Emperor of Thorns) is a bigger bastard than most of the characters in Abercrombie's books.

If you want a 180 in tone, you could try something by John Scalzi. I just finished Agent to the Stars, which was an entertaining mix of comedy and sci fi. Redshirts was also pretty good if you are a fan of Star Trek or similar sci fi shows. I have heard good things about Old Man's War as well.

leakey

Just read The Sun Also Rises. Amazing work by Hemingway.

Picking back up on Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevsky.

Jimothy

Trying to branch out into iction and picked up Master and Margarita and Shadow of the Wind at the strand this week. I just started M&M a couple days ago and I'm already a third done with it. I think I may go on a Russian novel binge after this.

suzu

Prince of Thorns' protagonist is... definitely not light and fluffy. hah

Yeah, echoing kswiston's suggestion. Redshirts, by John Scalzi.

Just finished Fevre Dream by George Martin, I loved it which kind of surprised me. I would definitely recommend it.

I love that book. Really genuinely fun take on the vampire mythos, in a way that I hadn't read before. Not easy.

I'm currently about to finish Authority (like everybody else on this board), which is very good - and, interestingly, I'm seeing far more House Of Leaves in this series than maybe I originally thought that I would - and then it's probably onto Acceptance. Unless I take a break for

18651980.jpg
, which I've heard very good things about.

Kuraudo

Banned
Got a little way into Pratchett's Dodger and it just didn't grab me at all. Worth pushing on?

Nope. I find his recent books have really dropped off. Dodger was the one that finally made me give up reading them after something like seventeen years :(

huxley00

I love that book. Really genuinely fun take on the vampire mythos, in a way that I hadn't read before. Not easy.

I'm currently about to finish Authority (like everybody else on this board), which is very good - and, interestingly, I'm seeing far more House Of Leaves in this series than maybe I originally thought that I would - and then it's probably onto Acceptance. Unless I take a break for

18651980.jpg
, which I've heard very good things about.

Amen! I am not even a big vampire fan, I think I just love Martin's writing style so much, so easy to read. It really took me to a place where I felt like I was seeing and feeling riverboat life and culture. I loved how it
basically brought you the life and death of river life as well as the life and death of the old vampire way

ShaneB

Finished up Life Among Giants last night, gave it 3.5/5. I still think there is something there to recommend if it sounds interesting to you, but the middle part just dragged on for me. Only near the end did it ever feel like it hit that "What happens next!?" feeling.

Will decide what is next later on.

Finished up Life Among Giants last night, gave it 3.5/5. I still think there is something there to recommend if it sounds interesting to you, but the middle part just dragged on for me. Only near the end did it ever feel like it hit that "What happens next!?" feeling.

Will decide what is next later on.

Finished it last night and gave it a 3 also. I enjoyed it for the most part but yeah, got a little boring in the middle there.

One little gripe I had
was the way Sylphide died, saw it coming from a mile away
. But still pretty enjoyable overall, with a fun cast of characters.

ShaneB

Finished it last night and gave it a 3 also. I enjoyed it for the most part but yeah, got a little boring in the middle there.

One little gripe I had
was the way Sylphide died, saw it coming from a mile away
. But still pretty enjoyable overall, with a fun cast of characters.

Yeah about the ending
I don't think I saw it coming a mile away, but I was definitely thinking it was not going to end as planned, I wondered if it would've been Kate there.
Still something I'm glad to have read, so that's all that matters I suppose. I've been thinking maybe those GFL books might be next, I need something fun.

I'm currently about to finish Authority (like everybody else on this board), which is very good - and, interestingly, I'm seeing far more House Of Leaves in this series than maybe I originally thought that I would - and then it's probably onto Acceptance.

Same. A few posters pointed out the snippets of dialogue from the first book that appear in the second, which is awesome and I probably would have missed. It actually makes me want to re-read House of Leaves. Can't wait to see what Acceptance has in store. Only a few more weeks!

Guys, guys, guys!

It has taken me eight books in the Discworld realm, but I finally get it. This book is good. So. Damn. Good.

It is laugh out loud funny. I never laugh when reading a book. Never. My heart is a cold, smooth stone. I don't go for quirky humor. I have enjoyed a few of the previous Discworld books, none of them were stellar must-reads.

Until now. Guards! Guards! is one of the most enjoyable and fun fantasy stories I've ever read. It is awesome. The characters are great. Captain Vimes is the bee's knees. Carrot is hilarious. I want to read a side story focusing exclusively on Sergeant Colon and Corporal Nobbs, and all the ridiculous situations they find themselves in (or cause!).

Everything is so self-aware, and plays off popular fantasy dragon tropes to perfection. Guards! Guards! has single-handedly rekindled my passion for the Discworld series, and I'll be diving immediately into the next book in the series. If this isn't Pratchett's best work, please tell me right now what is!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Yeah, although you don't have to.

Each "storyline" has its own distinct flavor and recurring themes so you can pick and choose. My personal favorites are the Guards, Death and the Witches. Not too fond of Rincewind or the one-offs.

Zona

About to start Pratchett. Would you recommend reading the books in publishing order ?
Personally yes, so long as it's understood that the first two are not representative of any that come after. Reading them in publishing order really brings out all the little jokes and continuity nods that Pratchett fills the world with.

About to start Pratchett. Would you recommend reading the books in publishing order ?

Without question. I realize you can follow individual storylines as branches within the series, but don't! Every book builds off of characters and concepts introduced in previous ones.

It may not be essential to read them in publication order, but you will miss out on so much if you don't. The same characters, locations, and ideas pop up time and time again. Pratchett clearly wrote his novels with the understanding that his reader would be familiar with what came before.

Having said that, the quality of the first couple of books is several steps below what follows. They aren't bad books, but the writing is a bit sloppier and the stories meander more. Also, the humor isn't nearly as effective or refined.

Well I think my reading order so far has gone 1- long time gap-4-33-reread 1 due to intervening years-34- 8 (in progress)

The reading order doesn't seem to matter all that much for enjoyment, as long as you start with a beginning of some sub-story. I guess reading 1 first was kind of helpful for general disc knowledge.

The constant references have worked equally well as humorous references when I already knew what they were talking about, and as further development of a concept when I gained new info.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=876953

Just wanted to make sure you guys saw this. Our own aidan, who you probably know from posting in these threads, has won a Hugo Award. :D

Congrats Aidan! Give that man a tag!

Congrats Aidan!

Wow, that's all KINDS of awesome. Bravo!!!!

Congrats, Aidan! That is so awesome!

Whoa! Congrats Aidan!

Thanks, all! I'm still sort of reeling from the weekend. Here's a picture of the trophy (and an empty cup)!

oReY65q.jpg

Yeah, although you don't have to.

Each "storyline" has its own distinct flavor and recurring themes so you can pick and choose. My personal favorites are the Guards, Death and the Witches. Not too fond of Rincewind or the one-offs.

Personally yes, so long as it's understood that the first two are not representative of any that come after. Reading them in publishing order really brings out all the little jokes and continuity nods that Pratchett fills the world with.

Without question. I realize you can follow individual storylines as branches within the series, but don't! Every book builds off of characters and concepts introduced in previous ones.

It may not be essential to read them in publication order, but you will miss out on so much if you don't. The same characters, locations, and ideas pop up time and time again. Pratchett clearly wrote his novels with the understanding that his reader would be familiar with what came before.

Having said that, the quality of the first couple of books is several steps below what follows. They aren't bad books, but the writing is a bit sloppier and the stories meander more. Also, the humor isn't nearly as effective or refined.

Well I think my reading order so far has gone 1- long time gap-4-33-reread 1 due to intervening years-34- 8 (in progress)

The reading order doesn't seem to matter all that much for enjoyment, as long as you start with a beginning of some sub-story. I guess reading 1 first was kind of helpful for general disc knowledge.

The constant references have worked equally well as humorous references when I already knew what they were talking about, and as further development of a concept when I gained new info.

Ok thank you all !

ShaneB

It is laugh out loud funny. I never laugh when reading a book. Never. My heart is a cold, smooth stone. I don't go for quirky humor.

Tsk tsk on you! Quite a few of the books I have read have had me in hysterics!

Really fun books.

Perhaps they shall be next. Would work to burn through them before the season starts. Will see when I browse my Kobo later.

edit: Also, grats aidan! That is one awesome trophy to display.

Guys, guys, guys!

It has taken me eight books in the Discworld realm, but I finally get it. This book is good. So. Damn. Good.

It is laugh out loud funny. I never laugh when reading a book. Never. My heart is a cold, smooth stone. I don't go for quirky humor. I have enjoyed a few of the previous Discworld books, none of them were stellar must-reads.

Until now. Guards! Guards! is one of the most enjoyable and fun fantasy stories I've ever read. It is awesome. The characters are great. Captain Vimes is the bee's knees. Carrot is hilarious. I want to read a side story focusing exclusively on Sergeant Colon and Corporal Nobbs, and all the ridiculous situations they find themselves in (or cause!).

Everything is so self-aware, and plays off popular fantasy dragon tropes to perfection. Guards! Guards! has single-handedly rekindled my passion for the Discworld series, and I'll be diving immediately into the next book in the series. If this isn't Pratchett's best work, please tell me right now what is!

Dammit, Tragic, stop adding shit to my to-read list. I'm in (starting at the beginning, of course). Will report back.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
For me it's Reaper Man > Night Watch > Thud for the GOAT Discworld books.

And yeah, Aching is legit, although you could see his writing slipping in some of those novels. It's really sad :(

Caode

I really enjoyed the Darth Bane books, which surprised me because I thought nearly every SW EU book sucked, save Zahn's books.

I'm really only starting to get in to the EU books, I've heard very good things about the Darth Bane trilogy - so I'll start with that and see where I go from there. I have picked up Heir to the Empire too, but I kind of want to avoid any post-ROTJ stories until after Episode VII, even though they're non-canon, I just want to go in to it completely fresh.

Just read the first essay in David Foster Wallace's 'A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again'.

This should be right up my alley, but his writings always rub me the wrong way.

Just read the first essay in David Foster Wallace's 'A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again'.

This should be right up my alley, but his writings always rub me the wrong way.

Heh, I'm reading this now, too. About halfway through the cruise essay and I'm enjoying it (though he does put a dark spin on everything). I'm going to reserve judgment until I finish the entire compilation. Really hoping I enjoy it, too, because I bought Infinite Jest a while back when it was on sale.

Thanks, all! I'm still sort of reeling from the weekend. Here's a picture of the trophy (and an empty cup)!

oReY65q.jpg

Was this picture taken in an interrogation cell in jail? My, how you've fallen in such a short time. (kidding)

Also, found the recording of Aidan accepting his award! http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/51500276 (around 00:46:00)

You know how when you start a book, you kind of have an idea where it's going? Then sometimes, it takes a completely different turn. It becomes a completely different book than you expected, but you still can't stop reading it?

We Are Not Ourselves by Matthew Thomas
Yep, it's one of those books. I'm a little more than halfway in. Even though it's taken an even darker turn, it's still really, really good. Highly recommended if you like a good cry once in a while.

Cush

I'm about halfway through Game of Thrones and I just cannot get into it. Should I put it aside and come back to it, push through, or just forget it? If it weren't another 400 pages, I'd definitely push through, but now I don't know.

Krowley

I'm about halfway through Game of Thrones and I just cannot get into it. Should I put it aside and come back to it, push through, or just forget it? If it weren't another 400 pages, I'd definitely push through, but now I don't know.

If you're not into it yet, It might not be your kind of thing.

It took me a while to get into it, mostly because there were so many POV characters to get accustomed to, but by the halfway point I was totally addicted.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I'm really only starting to get in to the EU books, I've heard very good things about the Darth Bane trilogy - so I'll start with that and see where I go from there. I have picked up Heir to the Empire too, but I kind of want to avoid any post-ROTJ stories until after Episode VII, even though they're non-canon, I just want to go in to it completely fresh.

I think Zahn's trilogy (his other SW books are good to, but not as good) make up the best SW story to be had in any medium. Give them a read!

KidDork

Guards! Guards! is one of the most enjoyable and fun fantasy stories I've ever read.

Glad you enjoyed it. True story: I first came to Guards! Guards! in hospital after abdominal surgery. My wife sat beside the bed and read it to me. A terrible mistake. We were both in tears laughing, then I'd have to lean over to hold my stitches because I felt sure I'd popped them. This went on for a week. Laughter mixed with OW OW okay just one more page.

Wonderful book.

suzu

Steles of the Sky, by Elizabeth Bear
Prince of Fools, by Mark Lawrence
The Widow's House, by Daniel Abraham

Had free time and blasted through these in the last two months. I enjoyed them all. :) I'll pick something non-fantasy next, haha.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Steles of the Sky, by Elizabeth Bear
Prince of Fools, by Mark Lawrence
The Widow's House, by Daniel Abraham

Had free time and blasted through these in the last two months. I enjoyed them all. :) I'll pick something non-fantasy next, haha.

You're a good person.

Finished Galveston this morning. Fantastic book. Loved it. I felt like it had a lot of elements of James Ellroy, which is a great thing in my opinion. Can't wait to read more from Pizzolatto.

Started Drood. Only 10% in so far and really enjoying it. Also, I appreciated the call out to
The Terror

Drood by Dan Simmons

The Gunslinger.

It's rather dull so far. I'll stick with it though as The Dark Tower series does sound like something that will tickle my fancy and it's a relatively short book.

kswiston

The Gunslinger.

It's rather dull so far. I'll stick with it though as The Dark Tower series does sound like something that will tickle my fancy and it's a relatively short book.

The Drawing of Three was a lot more entertaining than The Dark Tower. I will have to finish that series some day. Never read past book 4.

Top Bottom