• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (December 2012)

I finished 1984 yesterday and sheesh that was one depressing book....

And for that reason I am now reading The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I am only 20 or so pages in but I already love the humor.

Wow, congrats to everyone who met their reading challenge! What a great year for books, right?

I finished this year off with Gillian Flynn's first novel (after loving Gone Girl so much):

Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

The plot/mystery isn't as good as Gone Girl, but the characters are some scary stuff!

Done! Really had to scramble this last week to finish a bunch of books, but so worth it.

Ashes

Banned
Most of the books I read this year, have been 5*
And 9/10 are on the greatest ever books lists. I guess that's what happens when you chose from those lists..

edit: The only exceptions to excellent books are: Thorn of the Rose [because I wanted to read a gaf recommended book] (I don't recommend it); The Hunger Games, [I wanted to read at least one best seller book series [Also I just wanted to read a trilogy too] (I recommend it, if you don't mind no-so-good-writing skills; and the Last Guardian [last book in the Artemis Fowl series, which is why I read it. :p]

edit: I love that Cyan wrote #recommended, after stating that these were his 5* reviewed books. :p

Not in order, just as I remember them.

1. The Perks of Being A Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
2. Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami
3. Anathem by Neal Stephenson
4. A Game Of Thrones by George RR Martin
5. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
6. Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
7. Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
8. The Sign of Four by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
9. A Case in Scarlett by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
10. The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
11. Minimalism: Assorted Essays by Joshua Fields Millburn & Ryan Nicodemus
12. The Stranger by Albert Camus
13. Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
14. Someday This Pain Will Be Useful To You by Peter Cameron
15. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime by Mark Haddon
16. Solaris by Stanislaw Lem
17. The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
18. Island by Aldous Huxley
19. Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
20. Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell
21. The Invention of Morel by Adolfo Bioy Casares
22. Demian by Herman Hesse
23. The Fault In Our Stars by John Green
24. The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
25. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
26. Looking For Alaska by John Green
27. Signal to Noise by Neil Gaiman and Dave McKean
28. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick
29. Steppenwolf by Herman Hesse
30. Genesis by Bernard Beckett
31. The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien (re-read)
32. A Clash of Kings by George RR Martin

My goal was 30, so I made it. There's some big books on the list too, so I'm proud. I'm still reading a bunch of long books, including Storm of Swords, Cryptonomicon, and Brothers Karamazov. Mostly the last one, which is great.

Best book I read this year is Island by Huxley. A dazzlingly intelligent philosophical novel on a utopia with a lot to say and think about. I can't pick a second favorite; there's too many. I hated the Hunger Games trilogy and liked John Green's stuff.

Post impressions if you can please...

I'm about halfway through All The Pretty Horses and it's probably the most romantic western thing i've ever experienced. And I mean romantic in terms of amplifying all of the beautiful and nice things about riding horses through Texas and Mexico and downplaying or smoothing over the bad. Cormac is obviously in his element with this book, feels like the exact book he was born to write. I'm loving it so far.

Top Bottom