• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (February 2014)

Ratrat

I'm thinking of reading Game of Thrones after I finish Band of Brothers, but I don't know if I should. I'm not sure I'll like it and I hate to waste the money on something I'll never finish. I've never read any fantasy books before and the only fantasy movies I can think of that I've ever watched are the Lord of the Rings movies, and I hated them. What do you think GAF, should I try it, anyway?
It's often cited as fantasy for people who hate fantasy. It kind of ruined the genre for me as everything else seems trite or juvenile in comparison. I'd definitely give it a shot.

Seanspeed

Banned
Afaik the sample is about the first 15% or so of the book. Not your typical snippet.
No, but by comparison to the size and scale of the story, the first 15% of the first book could barely even be considered scratching the surface. I think it would be a shame to judge anything by that little amount.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Just finished reading Stranger in a strange land. I'm not sure what I think of it. It has some interesting ideas, but it wasn't as profound as Foundation, Dune, or Ender. I guess it was a little to weird for me.

Gonna read left hand of darkness next.

I found Stranger in a Strange land horribly sexist and homophobic.

TTG

No, but by comparison to the size and scale of the story, the first 15% of the first book could barely even be considered scratching the surface. I think it would be a shame to judge anything by that little amount.

I don't know what the issue is in the first place. The price is so miniscule(in this case a whopping 5$) that whatever impediment it represents is only notional. The real investment is time. Anyway, I think ASOIAF and LOTR are a lot alike. Elves and Dwarves apart, they're the same genre. Written with the same driving purpose in mind, entertainment first and foremost. One is aimed more towards children with the wizards and such, the other is about one step up in age demographic. I'm going with ASAOIAF all the way though, not many books can carry such a great page-turning pace throughout considering the length.

Finished John Shirley's Wetbones. Wow. It absolutely lived up to its reputation. The story was gripping and the villains suitably fucked up. The titular killings were jawdropping. Shirley did not skimp on the gore. I definitely regret not reading this tale of psychic horror earlier.

Up next:

5sFHBuh.jpg

I've been meaning to re-read this for quite some time. I doubt anything new will live up to Wetbones, I figure now would be a good time to read an old favorite I haven't visited in years.

Mumei

I don't know what the issue is in the first place. The price is so miniscule(in this case a whopping 5$) that whatever impediment it represents is only notional. The real investment is time. Anyway, I think ASOIAF and LOTR are a lot alike. Elves and Dwarves apart, they're the same genre. Written with the same driving purpose in mind, entertainment first and foremost. One is aimed more towards children with the wizards and such, the other is about one step up in age demographic. I'm going with ASAOIAF all the way though, not many books can carry such a great page-turning pace throughout considering the length.

I don't agree with this characterization of LotR. Tolkien invented the word "Mythopoeia," and The Lord of the Rings (along with posthumous releases such as The Silmarillion and The Histories) have him incorporating themes from a host of mythological sources from Western culture, almost as a synthesis. And as I recall the original impetus for the worldbuilding was to create a world for his fictional languages. In all, it's always seemed like his primary audience was himself, making the sort of story and universe that drew upon his biggest interests - philology and mythology.

Of course, I agree it's a work that can be enjoyed by children, and the surface level trappings do certainly have that primal appeal, but I think that characterizing it as aimed towards children doesn't do justice to what it tries to do.

Shengar

I don't agree with this characterization of LotR. Tolkien invented the word "Mythopoeia," and The Lord of the Rings (along with posthumous releases such as The Silmarillion and The Histories) have him incorporating themes from a host of mythological sources from Western culture, almost as a synthesis. And as I recall the original impetus for the worldbuilding was to create a world for his fictional languages. In all, it's always seemed like his primary audience was himself, making the sort of story and universe that drew upon his biggest interests - philology and mythology.

Of course, I agree it's a work that can be enjoyed by children, and the surface level trappings do certainly have that primal appeal, but I think that characterizing it as aimed towards children doesn't do justice to what it tries to do.

The Hobbit is clearly aimed toward childre, but LotR? It's about Tolkien's ambition creating his own Eddas than anything else.

Aw man, you're scaring me.

I'm about halfway through and its a bit ridiculous, but I'm still hanging on! If it continually gets worse, I'm going to subconsciously blame this on you, you know that right?

Sorry! *_* If it does fall short, I'll recommend you something else!

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
A_Dance_With_Dragons_US.jpg

A little over halfway through the book now. Interestingly enough, I find Daenerys' chapters to be the most boring (considering how integral she is to this book in particular). The politics within her campaign just aren't as engrossing as those in Westeros, so I find oftentimes her storyline more plodding than anything.

I really love Reek's chapters and whatever chapters Stannis is in, however. I've always had a soft spot for Stannis. I forget who says it, but after reflecting on all the candidates for the throne he or she closes it with Stannis, saying something like, "...and everyone hates Stannis." It's true, and that's why I find him both hilarious and absolutely intriguing.

Bran's chapters are quite good as well.

And, of course, Tyrion's chapters are always engrossing no matter what.

A_Dance_With_Dragons_US.jpg

A little over halfway through the book now. Interestingly enough, I find Daenerys' chapters to be the most boring (considering how integral she is to this book in particular). The politics within her campaign just aren't as engrossing as those in Westeros, so I find oftentimes her storyline more plodding than anything.

I really love Reek's chapters and whatever chapters Stannis is in, however. I've always had a soft spot for Stannis. I forget who says it, but after reflecting on all the candidates for the throne he or she closes it with Stannis, saying something like, "...and everyone hates Stannis." It's true, and that's why I find him both hilarious and absolutely intriguing.

Bran's chapters are quite good as well.

And, of course, Tyrion's chapters are always engrossing no matter what.
Dany has been turned into a Twilight level lovestruck teenager.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Dany has been turned into a Twilight level lovestruck teenager.

Yeah, it's fucking weird. Her chapters are a stark (pun intended) contrast to the rest of the book/series. You're right, they read like a Twilight novel at times.

ShaneB

I have a hard time recommeding ASOIAF just because I'd rather someone not read them and wonder if they'll ever be finished. If it was finished, by all means yes read them, but right now? ehhhh.

I finished up Sky of Stone. I really loved all three of the Coalwood books, just reminding me a lot of my hometown, and the books were full of people I wish I could've met and got to know. Great epilogue in Sky of Stone as well, what a life Homer Hickam Jr has led, and an inspiration for myself.

Debasertron

Neo Member
I've tried to read Brave New World a few times and I have a hard time making it more than four or five pages. Something about it is just really hard to read to me.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels that way. Given it's critical praise for what it does (on the level of 1984[personal favorite of all time, real original I know]) I feel like I almost have to read it, but in the beginning when they're talking about like the fertilization and essentially growing humans I just get so bored. I get it, he's trying to establish that "they have almost perfected growing humans" and it's supposed to set up the tone for everything in the book, but it's almost way too detailed to be interesting. Pseudo-Science is cool, but the magic of it kind of gets ruined when you exacerbate all the details.

TTG

That's fair, and I completely forgot about how much work went into the fictional language(s?). That's real passion, not pandering to a demographic or some bit of pragmatic planning to make the books more lucrative. Truth is, I haven't so much as looked through a LOTR book since like the eighth grade. I was going by my(now rather hazy) impressions versus the author's intent.

survivor

Banned
I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels that way. Given it's critical praise for what it does (on the level of 1984[personal favorite of all time, real original I know]) I feel like I almost have to read it, but in the beginning when they're talking about like the fertilization and essentially growing humans I just get so bored. I get it, he's trying to establish that "they have almost perfected growing humans" and it's supposed to set up the tone for everything in the book, but it's almost way too detailed to be interesting. Pseudo-Science is cool, but the magic of it kind of gets ruined when you exacerbate all the details.

I found the opening chapter pretty weak and took me 2 tries to go through it. To be honest I'm not a big fan of Brave New World's writing style, but I do like the ideas and themes explored in the novel.

Jintor

I was reading for Anya's chapters, she seemed like she had the most interesting life of the lot.

But then Martin was like, nope, ain't no heroic fairy tale for ya'll

:(

Debasertron

Neo Member
I found the opening chapter pretty weak and took me 2 tries to go through it. To be honest I'm not a big fan of Brave New World's writing style, but I do like the ideas and themes explored in the novel.

As flimsy as an excuse as it is for me to read a book that I don't actually enjoy reading, that is kind of the same reason I'm trying to read it. I'll probably get through it eventually, but It's going to be a schlep.

desh

I found Stranger in a Strange land horribly sexist and homophobic.
I didn't get a strong homophobic vibe, but I definitely felt it was misogynistic. I just don't get why it seems to be always mentioned in the same breath with the greatest sci fi books of all time, e.g., NPR's top 100 had it at 17.

Lumiere

Neo Member
I didn't get a strong homophobic vibe, but I definitely felt it was misogynistic. I just don't get why it seems to be always mentioned in the same breath with the greatest sci fi books of all time, e.g., NPR's top 100 had it at 17.
At times I wonder if the abridged version wasn't actually better! Even with the misogynistic vibes I still thought some of the beginning was interesting enough, but the second half completely lost me.

Was a big disappointment overall, I had high expectations given that it seems to receive a lot of praise. It was also my first Heinlein, and I'm afraid I lost all inclinations to read more of him now - I had also picked up The Moon is a Harsh Mistress at the same time, but now I really don't feel like reading it anymore :/

I remember seeing a Prophets of Science Fiction episode about Heinlen and how he gained a huge hippie following from that book and he absolutely hated it because he's basically what we would call a Tea Partier today and he despised hippies and everything they stood for.

TTG

Finished rereading 1984 today. Took me only three days, considering the tone it went quickly. If I hadn't known/resigned myself to the ending, I think it would have been more torturous.

Anyway, as I mentioned earlier, it's so satisfying to go back to something I loved as an adolescent and not have to cringe in shame. The book is fantastic. What hit me this time was the despair, the loneliness and downright insanity of "doublethink". It's creepy as hell! It also, of course, retains all those ideas that now sound prophetic. There are others however that haven't garnered as much attention that are just as relevant, it reminds me a little of Fahrenheit 451 in the way passages can sound sometimes.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Finished Ancillary Justice. Really like it and looking forward to the next book. Reminds me heavily of Temeraire, and the whole Captain/Ship bond thing.

Piecake

Currently reading this. Its well written and gives a good summary of the events so far, so nothing really earth-shattering or amazing. Hopefully it will get to those levels once I get passed the build up and into the war, but I am not there yet.

Probably the most interesting tidbit was the author describing the differences between Chinese and Japanese nationalism at the time. He claimed that China's was extremely patriotic, but a lot more civic and secular, while Japanese nationalism was rooted in spiritualism of Zen Buddhism and the the German notion of Blood and Soil.

KmA

Took a long break from books and am finally getting back into the groove. Currently reading "Before They Are Hanged" by Joe Ambercrombie. I have a really hard time following the action (this is a general problem I have with books in general, not specifically this book) but other than that it is really engaging.

902715.jpg

survivor

Banned
Since Blindness was making me hate humanity, I wanted to take a break and read something more cheerful so I went with The Little Prince since it was pretty short. Anyway the ending sure was something else, didn't expect an
open ending like this. Will the poor flower survive the sheep? ;_;
92JjBHj.jpg

Anyway, back to reading more about blind people suffering.

TTG

Just picked this up for 1.99, it's a Kindle daily deal:

I don't read a lot of nonfiction, but it appears this book has won a lot of awards and recognition. And the subject is interesting.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there

It says male homosexuality is flat out wrong several times.

^-- Yes. And it was one of those books where I felt like I missed out by reading the *unabridged* version. What a slog.

On a different note, I read this novella this weekend:

If You're Not Yet Like Me by Edan Lepucki

Disclaimer: I know the author and think she's great.

It was exactly what I was in the mood for. Some cynical humor and light reading. She's coming out with a new book soon that's a little dystopian and post apocalyptic. Can't wait for it!

California by Edan Lepucki

Lumiere

Neo Member
Finished Ancillary Justice. Really like it and looking forward to the next book. Reminds me heavily of Temeraire, and the whole Captain/Ship bond thing.
I really liked Ancillary Justice as well - found it a bit hard to get into at the very beginning, but once I got used to the writing style I enjoyed it a lot. Was a bit disappointed that it ended where it ended so I can't wait for the sequel!
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is really really good. Still the only Heinlein I've read though
Sounds like I should give it a try after all! I did already pick up the paperback a few hours ago so I'll add it back to my reading list. :)

Ratrat

Finished Rendezvous with Rama. Excellent SF with a good ending. Wait, what's that about
coming in threes??
. There ARE SEQUELS? I kind of like the way it left things...

Are they worth reading or better not knowing?

ciridesu

Finished Hunger Games... How do people like this trite? Horridly written teenage drivel from a hack writer. Jesus Christ.

That came off as quite extremely negative, but oh well! Just my opinion. Currently on Meditations from Marcus Aurelius (the Gregory Hays translation), and it still continues to amaze me how timeless quotes can be. Evernote here I come!

Also bought off quite a few books yesterday and started a bit on Iron Curtain: The Crushing of Eastern Europe, 1944-1956. Will get on to that properly soon. Still on pace for the 50 books challenge as I've almost hit six thus far. Going to get a bit harder now that exams are nearing and nearing though, but should be fine.

QP3

Gates_of_Fire_hardcover_image.jpg

Gates of Fire

My friends were raving about it so I thought I would give it a shot. Only about 50 pages in so far but it already seems promising.

Any other novels similar to it that are worth reading?

Gates_of_Fire_hardcover_image.jpg

Gates of Fire

My friends were raving about it so I thought I would give it a shot. Only about 50 pages in so far but it already seems promising.

Any other novels similar to it that are worth reading?

Oh! I liked that book! It was a nice meaty read. I really enjoy the minutiae of war, so it was right up my alley.

For similar books...Maybe the Saxon Stories (Viking goodness and on my list to read) by Bernard Cornwell? Or Shōgun? Not quite the same, but immerse. If it's the period you like rather than the historical war angle, though, then I'm not sure. If it's just historical fiction you're enjoying, then there are LOTS of great options. :D

Finished Live Girls by Ray Garton. Always nice to revisit an old favorite and have it be as good as you'd remembered. It's tightly written, fast-paced and filled with good characters. Since it was written in the late 80s, it really transports you back to that era of New York. Easily one of the best vampire books around.

Up next:

1112967.jpg

I read the original short story years ago in the Skipp and Spector edited Book of the Dead. Finally thought I'd read the novel version.

QP3

Oh! I liked that book! It was a nice meaty read. I really enjoy the minutiae of war, so it was right up my alley.

For similar books...Maybe the Saxon Stories (Viking goodness and on my list to read) by Bernard Cornwell? Or Shōgun? Not quite the same, but immerse. If it's the period you like rather than the historical war angle, though, then I'm not sure. If it's just historical fiction you're enjoying, then there are LOTS of great options. :D

Thanks for the suggestion! Funny you should mention the Saxon Stories. I was just at the library and picked up a book that I thought I would like. When I got home and saw your reply, I googled the Saxon Stories and lo and behold the book I had picked up was the most recent entry in the series!

Top Bottom