• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (January 2010)

Ceebs said:
Currently reading this one. Not that far yet but seems like it may have some promise.

5166tI7zzbL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg
Boneshaker is great. I had a few minor issues with how it wrapped up but other than that it was a fun ride.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I'm currently reading a rather mundane paint-by-numbers fantasy novel. Then again, how many truly aren't? This one has potential because the setting matches the current weather conditions in RL:

9780316003414_388X586.jpg

But damn I love this cover.

Salazar

icarus-daedelus said:
GRATCH LUUUG RAAAACH ARRRRRRRGGG

The depressing and amazing thing is that you haven't even picked one of the top (or bottom) ten most preposterous and boneheaded things about the books.

I'm reading 'Red Seas Under Red Skies' by Scott Lynch. It's superb. Whereas Goodkind boasts that nobody edits his work, it's plain that Lynch's writing has been expertly pushed around.

I'm also into Edmund Gosse's memoir of religious disenchantment, 'Father and Son'.

_Isaac

I'm about to start a new book and have to decide between

Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer
x2qm4w.jpg

The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen
jztm49.jpg

A Game of Thrones by G.R.R. Martin
10pds02.jpg

I was leaning towards Everything is Illuminated because it's so short and I really enjoyed Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, but I can't seem to find my copy anymore :(
What do you guys say?

ZINN.jpg

Read the first chapter, then watched over 5 hours of Howard Zinn's lectures and downloaded You Can't Stay Neutral on a Moving Train. I'd always known that something was rotten in denmark, with regards to the version of history I'd learnt through the standard education system, but Zinn knocks me on my ass.

Burger

GDJustin said:
Just started. I'm in for a heck of a ride, aren't I?

Honestly the first ~100 pages haven't grabbed me. VERY hard to keep track of who is who, where things are taking place, etc. I am constantly re-reading, and flipping back to previous chapters to remind me who is so-and-so's nephew, dead brother, sister, etc.

I'm a patient reader, though. And it's obviously not been all bad.

Stick with it. I actually gave up where you are ages ago, and was convinced to pick it back up and start again recently. I nailed the 2nd book over christmas, and I'm eager to get started on the next.

Fleet of Foot said:
Has anyone read The Night's Dawn Trilogy by Peter Hamilton? I noticed it while browsing at Borders yesterday and decided to buy it on my Kindle. The whole trilogy is $7.99.

This looks loooooong. There are about 71,000 "locations" in the Kindle version, versus about 18,000 locations in A Clash of Kings, for instance. So yeah it will take a while. After reading it for several hours today, Kindle tells me I'm 3% done! But it's starting off really good.

I don't know how I've never heard of it.

I loved the Nights Dawn Trilogy, but preferred the Pandora's Star/Judas Unchained books more. I wasn't totally satisfied with the way it wrapped, but it was pretty awesome from start to finish, great hard sci-fi.

Still reading China Mieville's Iron Council. At this point, I'm liking it, but I don't see it eclipsing his previous New Crozubon novel, The Scar, which was a bona fide masterpiece.

Bulgakov's Master and Margarita, McDonald's Brasyl, DeLillo's White Noise and Wolfe's Soldier of the Mist should be next. But I'll probably get side-tracked with something or other, like the Songs of the Dying Earth collection, edited by Martin, which I've been looking at lately, along with Chris Wooding's Retribution Falls. And there's plenty more in the backlog.

Salazar said:
I'm reading 'Red Seas Under Red Skies' by Scott Lynch. It's superb. Whereas Goodkind boasts that nobody edits his work, it's plain that Lynch's writing has been expertly pushed around.

It got some criticism, but I really enjoyed it, too. Most hilarious moment:
When Locke and Jean are commanding their first - decidedly invisible - pirate crew.
Needless to say, Lynch has quite the wit.

PantherLotus said:
I'm currently reading a rather mundane paint-by-numbers fantasy novel. Then again, how many truly aren't?

More than you would think. Seriously, I thought I would dip into SF/F a few years ago and read all the good stuff. Only now do I realize that it's a life-long project.

Salazar

Yasser said:
n146001.jpg

just finished this, absolutely fantastic and i'm upset i can't find any of the author's other work in english

YES !

Oh, dear me. It is a terrific book. Fang is such an endearingly pathetic creature. Kyril Bonfiglioli's Mortdecai books might work as a stop-gap. Well, more than that - they are wonderful in their own right. The anti-hero, Charlie Mortdecai, is comical and insipid in a sort of similar (more of a rake, though) way.

Yasser

about 50 pages into "apathy and other small victories" and i'm not impressed. if i was 15 i'd have loved it and found it hilarious but now i'm reading this and thinking "wtf i could've written this. when i was 15"
Salazar said:
Oh, dear me. It is a terrific book. Fang is such an endearingly pathetic creature. Kyril Bonfiglioli's Mortdecai books might work as a stop-gap. Well, more than that - they are wonderful in their own right. The anti-hero, Charlie Mortdecai, is comical and insipid in a sort of similar (more of a rake, though) way.
i'll be sure to check that out as well. you sum up fang pretty much perfectly, right up to the end
:(
. i also loved the setting, the way society is depicted in the book was fascinating and how social interactions all seemed to be dual layered. i can definately see myself reading this every year or so

Got this one for Christmas:

blankslate.jpg

One of the best books I've read and a very great summary of current theories of mind and language without passing to much judgement over those who came before.

choodi

Banned
PantherLotus said:
I'm currently reading a rather mundane paint-by-numbers fantasy novel. Then again, how many truly aren't? This one has potential because the setting matches the current weather conditions in RL:

9780316003414_388X586.jpg

But damn I love this cover.

It is a rather by-the-numbers book (and series), but it is still entertaining in its own way I found.

I quite liked the world that he has created. The author is a geography lecturer and cartographer from New Zealand and his maps are absolutely fantastic (the maps in fantasy novels always catch my attention).

The cover is what got me too, but not the one you have here, this is the cover we got in Australia:

rkpts.jpg

Feep

Banned
Came highly recommended, but through the first hundred pages or so, I'm only mildly interested. This book is SO British. :D We'll see!

strangeandnorell.jpg

edgefusion

Jarlaxle said:
Do yourself a huge favor and after finishing that book forget that there are any sequels. The storyline ends there. You're welcome.

Unfortunately I have two of the sequels (christmas gifts). :lol

Reza_Neko

thomaser said:
Read two books in the last week of 09: Elizabeth Kostova's "The Historian" and Arto Paasilinna's "The Year of the Hare". Both very enjoyable.

41NKuyRY4KL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

The Historian is a surprisingly good, modern Dracula-tale. It's not without flaws, the plot being driven forward by a string of extremely unlikely happy coincidences the worst of them, but if you can overlook that, it's a worthy follow-up to Bram Stoker's Dracula. The historic detail is very impressive, and Dracula himself is terrifying.
Oooh, my mythology teacher recommended this book. She warned not to read it at night time lol.

Hari Seldon

I just finished the Soldier Son trilogy by Robin Hobb and hated it. Before I wrote Hobb off forever, I tried Assassin's Apprentice. Significantly better, and I finished it in 1 weekend.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
fanboi said:
http://nomon.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/feastforcrowsuk.jpg

Anyone know anything about the new book when it will come etc?

You're kidding, right?

I'm currently reading, "Winning the Losers Game". It's an investment book. Haven't finished it but I get the overall message "if you aren't rich don't bother and if you insist invest in index funds". Very readable.

Perhaps some of you can help me, I want to read something modern and perhaps existential. I don't want to read about killers, or dragons, or any fantasy. Something like "The Paperchase" movie. Something about modern life and business, etc.

Chorazin

41jtC8U4ooL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I'm about a quarter of the way through and it's been pretty amazing, a creepy re-imagining of Peter Pan. I can see why it won so many awards last year!

Salazar

otake said:
Perhaps some of you can help me, I want to read something modern and perhaps existential. I don't want to read about killers, or dragons, or any fantasy. Something like "The Paperchase" movie. Something about modern life and business, etc.

Nicholson Baker's 'The Mezzanine'. He wrote a novel about stockbroking, and then—like lifting the skeleton from a fish—removed all traces of plot, leaving it a book in the 'chosisme' tradition of acute scrutiny of the inanimate. It's deeply amusing and strange.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
voths.jpg

Written by Kilgore Trout of Vonnegut fame!
Actually written by Philip José Farmer

Fun sci-fi read.

FnordChan

I sat down and knocked out Under the Dome this weekend. As I mentioned earlier, the main bad guy is pretty over the top, but I didn't let that stop me from plowing through 500 pages or so in two days. It's one helluva page turner, and if King isn't exactly going for total realism he certainly does do an excellent job of taking the premise (a semi-permeable, impenetrable dome surrounds a small town), deciding how best to put the town through the wringer, setting up the dominoes, and then knocking everything down. It's definitely recommended for the King fan and for anyone intrigued by the premise.

I'm going back to pick up a book I left off reading several months ago, F. Paul Wilson's Crisscross. The reason I put it on hold had nothing to do with the novel itself, which is a solid entry in the Repairman Jack series, and I'm glad to be getting back to it. This time around our boy Jack is going up against the Other influenced equivalent of Scientology, which makes for a damn fine hook. I'm 2/3 of the way through and hope to have it wrapped up in short order.

I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to be reading next, but after watching the second installment of Red Riding last night I broke down and ordered a copy of David Peace's 1974. Hurrah for incredibly bleak British crime fiction!

FnordChan

Skittleguy

Ring a Bell for me
Finally finished Blankets (so great).

Moving onto:
8ba60b572298f3cbaa877430dd0fea8b.jpg

Get all my pleasure reading out of the way before school starts.

Mifune

Mehmber
63033.jpg

Man, I'm so happy to finally get into Bolaño. This book is wonderful.

116760.jpg

Now this is an interesting one. Reads like a crazy woman's diary or book of poetry. Very very tight and funny.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Salazar said:
Nicholson Baker's 'The Mezzanine'. He wrote a novel about stockbroking, and then—like lifting the skeleton from a fish—removed all traces of plot, leaving it a book in the 'chosisme' tradition of acute scrutiny of the inanimate. It's deeply amusing and strange.

I "looked inside" and did not like. Thanks for the suggestion though.

FnordChan

otake said:

Having been published 15 years ago I suppose it's not really modern, but how about Micoserfs by Douglas Coupland?

FnordChan

besada

Banned
6okf3m.jpg

A new hard-boiled Ambergris novel. Following that, I have the latest Puppeteers book by Niven, and the newest Greg Bear, Mariposa.

Karakand

Cyan said:
Heh. Well, what would you put in the canon if you had your druthers?
Not everything in it is bad, it's just stuff that everyone reads month after month after month--a collection you read to make you the rank and file Book GAFer. Whether you deem that good or bad is up to you.

Dizzan

MINI Member
iceman.jpg

Just finished this. So disturbing that this guy existed. Not the most well written novel (unnecessary repetition) but it is so compelling I just couldn't put it down.

Now reading a much smaller, but powerful book.

night.jpg

bengraven

Cyan said:
Read a few books on vacation, all sci-fi/fantasy.

200px-Painted_man_cover_small.png

Peter Brett's The Warded Man.

Standard good vs evil fantasy (humans vs demons), but an interesting setting. In a post-apocalyptic future, demons arise from the earth every night and kill any humans they find. The only defense is to hide behind wards, magical symbols painted onto houses and city walls. It's a war of attrition and the humans are slowly dieing out, as a single mistake in your wards means near-certain death. Naturally, our hero decides he's sick of hiding, and sets out in search of a way to fight back.

It's a debut novel, and it kind of shows, but it's not bad. A well-realized setting, and the characters are fun. I'm not sure I agree with the way he structured it, but it works. First in a trilogy, with the second out in April.

I felt the same way you did; the world is fairly bland, but the concept behind the story is amazing. The demons rising up every night gave the night time this horribly tense feeling and was the best start to a world I've seen in modern fantasy lit.

Unfortunately I just wasn't feeling a lot of the story. That said, I'll be picking up the sequel in April and am anticipating it.

FnordChan said:
under_the_dome.jpg

I'm about halfway through Stephen King's Under The Dome and thoroughly enjoying it. Okay, so the main bad guy is pretty over the top, but I'm happy to roll with that. If nothing else, my belief that I should never live in a small town in Maine has been nicely reinforced so far.

FnordChan

I thought this was really great, by the way.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
bengraven said:
I felt the same way you did; the world is fairly bland, but the concept behind the story is amazing. The demons rising up every night gave the night time this horribly tense feeling and was the best start to a world I've seen in modern fantasy lit.

Unfortunately I just wasn't feeling a lot of the story. That said, I'll be picking up the sequel in April and am anticipating it.

I just got a copy of the sequel, The Desert Spear, today. I'll be jumping into it as soon as I'm done with my current read. It's a fair bit longer than The Painted Man/The Warded Man.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
bengraven said:
Good, give us a heads up review of it when you're done!

Definitely. I'll be writing one for my blog, so I'll be sure to give you guys the heads up. I know Brett has some fans here.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
_Isaac said:
I'm about to start a new book and have to decide between

The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen
jztm49.jpg

I was leaning towards Everything is Illuminated because it's so short and I really enjoyed Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, but I can't seem to find my copy anymore :(
What do you guys say?

The Corrections is marvelous and it will feel like you read another of the big books of the last 10 years. Martin shouldn't even be on your list, you're way beyond him. And not because he's a genre author.

bengraven

aidan said:
Definitely. I'll be writing one for my blog, so I'll be sure to give you guys the heads up. I know Brett has some fans here.

Definitely. I'm curious to know whether his writing has improved most of all. He told a damn fine tale, but the writing was still a bit amateurish.

Top Bottom