• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (January 2011)

Dresden said:
Might also want some voting system to choose next month's book. Have the thread starter toss up three authors--I don't know, ali, oe, jacq, whatever--and for whatever author that gets chosen, the OP chooses a book by them.
Vard said:
Just adding my opinion about our book of the month / book club

- separate thread (either on GAF or directly on our GoodReads group page). I think it would be better on GR actually, but I'm not sure how many of us use GR. Also, can you spoiler tag on GR? Hmm.

- we should decide on the book of the month the month before; I don't think we gave enough time this month, especially for those who want to buy it online and have to wait for it to get delivered. Like... Next week we should know what February's book will be!

- maybe add milestones so people have a goal to reach or can read it at a similar pace? I think that's how real book clubs work anyway. Ex: get to Ch. 6 by the 10th and the halfway mark by the 15th. Maybe I just know I'd be lagging behind everyone else without something like that to shoot for, heh.
I'm all for both these ideas.

wrowa

Vard said:
Just adding my opinion about our book of the month / book club

- separate thread (either on GAF or directly on our GoodReads group page). I think it would be better on GR actually, but I'm not sure how many of us use GR. Also, can you spoiler tag on GR? Hmm.

- we should decide on the book of the month the month before; I don't think we gave enough time this month, especially for those who want to buy it online and have to wait for it to get delivered. Like... Next week we should know what February's book will be!

- maybe add milestones so people have a goal to reach or can read it at a similar pace? I think that's how real book clubs work anyway. Ex: get to Ch. 6 by the 10th and the halfway mark by the 15th. Maybe I just know I'd be lagging behind everyone else without something like that to shoot for, heh.
Seperate thread please, a huge chunk of people wouldn't be aware of the book club if it happens on the GR group page.

Apart of that, everything sounds really great. I love the idea of a GAF book club, but it really needs to be organized better. So far it was a nice idea, but it lacked pretty much any kind of actual execution.

Vard

Yea, it's probably best kept as a separate thread on GAF actually. More participation that way, plus spoiler tagging.

Cyan's format is good I think. I'd be down to create the thread too, but I'm not reading this month's and somebody who is should! (Nothing against the book either, as it sounds interesting, but unfortunately I found out about it too late.)

So, we can improve with - explicit milestones, further notice of next month's book, and ideally more discussion/voting before a book gets picked so we know enough of us are on board with the idea!

KidDork

Anyway reading:

841HL.png

like it so far

I'm on the fence about this one. Does he go deeply into discussing the Yakuza or is it more about how he was pressured to quit? Had it in my hand yesterday, but my inner Scrooge McDuck waughed over the $18 price tag.

Recently finished:

419W%2B%2ByjchL._SL500_AA266_PIkin3,BottomRight,-24,34_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Wasn't as good as I expected. A nice easy read but nothing amazing, though I will read the second book before I decide whether or not to continue with the series.

Currently reading:

51WC999OnyL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

About 1/4 of the way through, really enjoying it. :D

Picked up House of Mystery: Room and Boredom (tpb #1) (Vertigo, 2007) by accident because I mixed it up with Madame Xanadu and was pleasantly surprised. Although I'm not overly familiar with the background of all the Dreaming/Sandman/Able&Cain Vertigo stuff, beyond the first few pages it didn't play a center role so far. The framing architecture (and main plot/story of the series) is enjoyable and moves along at a good pace and the embedded stories are a refreshing change of pace and mood.

Therefore also purchased and read the second trade House of Mystery: Love Stories for Dead People which expanded the main plot line as well as advancing it. The embedded stories in this volume provided backstory on all the main characters which while nice didn't provide the same level of reprieve as the embedded stories in the first trade. Still a good read though.

For non-comics I have been continuing on with the Vorkosigan omnibuses. Currently finishing Miles Errant. Finished with the short story and Brothers in Arms so just Mirror Dance left. Enjoyable reads as the previous novels were and the change from a mainly Barrayar setting to more adventures elsewhere with the Dendarii is nice.

BanShunsaku said:
Recently finished:

Storm Front Pic

Wasn't as good as I expected. A nice easy read but nothing amazing, though I will read the second book before I decide whether or not to continue with the series.

It took me until around the end of book 4 before I was caught and engaged in the Dresden File universe. I didn't think the first 3 novels were particularly strong or motivating. I know some people get hooked on third novel or earlier though. I'm not sure what kind of time investment you want to put into it to see if your fancy is eventually tickled but I would say don't be too hasty to decide it's a lost cause (or not).

Salazar

B.K. said:
I want to read The Divine Comedy. What's the best translation of it?

I have W.S. Merwin's "Purgatorio" - I don't in general rate him as a poet, but this is pretty damned fine.

Salazar

icarus-daedelus said:
I have The Divine Comedy as translated by some guy named Allen Mandelbaum, which some other guy named Hugh Kenner says is "The English Dante of choice.".

Yes :lol He is a little crazy (not quite G. Wilson Knight crazy), but you can probably trust him.

grumble

BanShunsaku said:
Recently finished:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/419W%2B%2ByjchL._SL500_AA266_PIkin3,BottomRight,-24,34_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg[/img ]

Wasn't as good as I expected. A nice easy read but nothing amazing, though I will read the second book before I decide whether or not to continue with the series.[/QUOTE]

I've just read the first three books this last week. I have mixed reactions about the series. Overall the series so far is decent B-level fantasy, about on par with Abercrombie.

Pluses:

-Interesting core idea. Urban fantasy is rare.
-Somewhat interesting magic system, though poorly explained.

Minuses:

-Characters often act irrationally, and can be inconsistent
-World too black-and-white. More morally grey actions would add depth and realism to the plot. Protagonist too 'good' to be realistic. Possibly written for a less mature audience?
-Writing style is decent but unexceptional.

_Isaac

I just finished The Stranger by Albert Camus.
It was a fun little read. The version I got had a lame cover with just a picture of Camus on it.
Kp3cT.jpg

I am now a little ways into A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers
It's a really fun read so far even though not much is happening. A great style of writing. A lot of character.
Q1daU.jpg

I was however thinking of starting The Traveler by John Twelve Hawks. I am not interested in this book in the least. It also has a gross cover. (I couldn't find my version online). It's a scifi book, and I don't do well with scifi. I kinda feel obligated to read it now. My cousin let me borrow it because I let him borrow my copy of The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, which as we all know is a masterpiece. I only read one or two chapters, and I can't get into it. Have any of you guys read it?
eC8ek.jpg

grumble said:
I've just read the first three books this last week. I have mixed reactions about the series. Overall the series so far is decent B-level fantasy, about on par with Abercrombie.

Pluses:

-Interesting core idea. Urban fantasy is rare.
-Somewhat interesting magic system, though poorly explained.

Minuses:

-Characters often act irrationally, and can be inconsistent
-World too black-and-white. More morally grey actions would add depth and realism to the plot. Protagonist too 'good' to be realistic. Possibly written for a less mature audience?
-Writing style is decent but unexceptional.

Not if you are into romance novels =X

Pretty accurate analysis of the first few books though.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I have ended my non-reading streak and I'm so embarrassed. I'm reading "the accidental billionairs". It's a shame, I know. But it's so compelling...

Coldsnap

the-metamorphosis.jpg

First read, finding it fascinating. I need to read some published articles on the book because I'd really like to hear peoples interpretations.

evilpigking said:

True. The Dresden series starts to really open up and hit its stride around five books in. Summer Knight and the volumes immediately following it were the turning point. It's one of those cases where the writer's growth correlates directly with the quality of their work.

Dresden

Finished Conquistador. Just a nice, badass adventure novel.

I know I should dig in on all the fantasy shit that's piled up on my bookshelf, but I can't motivate myself.

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë

Finished reading it tonight. Loved loved loved it.

What a timeless classic! This was my first time reading Jane Eyre and I can see myself revisiting it again in a few years. Initially, I thought the beginning was slow and I couldn't understand what the fuss around this book was about, but now I realize that it serves as a perfect explanation of Jane's character and her actions in her adult life.

Bronte's writing is so good at conveying emotions and moods. Her characters' introspections are illuminating and touching. This is navel-gazing done right.

At its heart, Jane Eyre is a romance novel, but not a kind of lusty, throbbing organs romance. The emotions in this novel left me breathless sometimes. When things were good, I felt elated along with the characters. When things turn sour, as I dreaded they would, I was just as tormented as the unfortunate parties involved.

Even though I couldn't empathize with some of Jane's decisions concerning Mr. Rochester, I still respected her for her strength of character for doing such difficult tasks.

This novel is just lovely. I'm curious how the new film will interpret it.

Now, on to our bookclub book.

Long time reader, first time poster. After finding a few books to read, I found a copy of this book:
51NLgeKL5KL.jpg

And I am enjoying it. Only a few chapters in, but I like the writing style. I know I should be reading other books, but this book is so darn fun.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
sparky2112 said:
Finished this myself a few weeks ago. Overall, I really, really liked it. When you finish, I'll spoiler tag something about the ending and see if you agree...

300 pages to go. Almost there

I am automatically in love with anyone who makes their posting name Amory Blaine. <3

Halfway through The Age of Innocence and not digging it as much as some other books from that period. Think I might read The Custom of the Country soon, since it's in the same compiled volume. Itching to start The Golden Bowl instead. Doing a project this semester on American fiction between 1880 and 1960 and I have NO IDEA yet what to do. Last time I did something on that period, I wrote about Hubert Selby, Jr. and Frank Norris, which was great fun and I might end up revisiting it, but I'd rather find something new.

finally got
n355985.jpg

I'm a few chapters in and so far it's really fantastic stuff. I'm all for the book club idea. I think I should expand and read more stuff now that I've exhausted most of the scifi and fantasy classics

Laekon

Amory Blaine said:
atlas_shrugged.jpg

Gonna take a while.

In a lot of sections you can skip 10 to 20 pages ahead and not miss anything. I'd even say that aleast 300 pages in the middle of the book could be cut without affecting the story at all.

KidDork

_Isaac said:
I was however thinking of starting The Traveler by John Twelve Hawks. I am not interested in this book in the least. It also has a gross cover. (I couldn't find my version online). It's a scifi book, and I don't do well with scifi. I kinda feel obligated to read it now. My cousin let me borrow it because I let him borrow my copy of The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, which as we all know is a masterpiece. I only read one or two chapters, and I can't get into it. Have any of you guys read it?

Ugh, that cover. I remembered my wife read it last year, a friend having recommended it to her. All she could remember of the book was that she enjoyed it--her tastes run to Abercrombie, Scott Lynch, GRRM, and Tad Williams to give you an idea of what she likes.

Thanks for the recommendation, Salazar.

Salazar

KidDork said:
Thanks for the recommendation, Salazar.

There is a breathtakingly badass moment early on in it when he is being babysat by an old Yakuza gran who runs the undertaking business. Etched in my mind.

Benjillion said:
Long time reader, first time poster. After finding a few books to read, I found a copy of this book:
51NLgeKL5KL.jpg

And I am enjoying it. Only a few chapters in, but I like the writing style. I know I should be reading other books, but this book is so darn fun.

Yeesh, I've never seen a more blatant attempt by an artist to associate something with WoW.

SumPog

Neo Member
3,096 Days by Natascha Kampusch
It's about how she, Natascha Kampusch, was kidnapped and then was put in a 5 square metre cellar by a paranoid, crazy song of a bitch for 8 years.

LaserBuddha said:
Someone must pick The Book of the New Sun series for the book club. It will be the most awesome and epic book club thread ever.

Never heard of that series, but I looked it up and it sounds really interesting. Gonna see if I can find them anywhere.

LocoMrPollock said:
Never heard of that series, but I looked it up and it sounds really interesting. Gonna see if I can find them anywhere.

As long as you are comfortable with the use of an unreliable narrator, you should find it to be an amazing piece of work. The quotes on the dust jacket about it being the best ever sci-fi, etc, are there for good reason.

It has been called sci-fi's Ulysses.

grumble

evilpigking said:

Actually, I did think of one other urban fantasy series. Charles Stross has a few books out which are a lot of fun to read, and I'd say are better than the Dresden Files.

They're called the Bob Howard - Laundry series:

Atrocity Archives (won a hugo award!)
Jennifer Morgue
A couple of available-online novellas
The Fuller Memorandum

Great books!

Amory

Laekon said:
In a lot of sections you can skip 10 to 20 pages ahead and not miss anything. I'd even say that aleast 300 pages in the middle of the book could be cut without affecting the story at all.

Yeah I've heard that. My uncle read the book and I asked him about it, and he said ultimately he enjoyed it but that there's a huge chunk of the book dedicated to beating you over the head with her ideas and views in case you're not understanding them naturally from the story. I imagine I'll skip that part.

Salazar

Reading:

John Bayley's Iris.
Roy Porter's Flesh in the Age of Reason.
Al Alvarez's Risky Business.
Jonathan Rose's The Intellectual Life of the British Working Classes.

All extremely good.

mjc

I bought a copy of Child 44 on my Nook in anticipation of the reader thread...bummer that it won't happen now. Oh well, should be a good read anyways.

Dresden

LaserBuddha said:
As long as you are comfortable with the use of an unreliable narrator, you should find it to be an amazing piece of work. The quotes on the dust jacket about it being the best ever sci-fi, etc, are there for good reason.

It has been called sci-fi's Ulysses.
I love Gene Wolfe, but reviewers are so excitable.

I'd be down for a Flashman Book Club selection.

Flek

Banned
KidDork said:
I'm on the fence about this one. Does he go deeply into discussing the Yakuza or is it more about how he was pressured to quit? Had it in my hand yesterday, but my inner Scrooge McDuck waughed over the $18 price tag.

hmm iam like 3 or 4 chapters in the book and so far he talkes about how he became editor in tokyo and his work there. Investigating to get scoops etc. really really interesting honestly! I already missed some stations on my train because i was reading this book :lol

anyway 18 USD? i payed like 10 USD (8 euros) for it

Top Bottom