• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (January 2013)

Ceebs

11/22/63 by Stephen King

It was a solid novel that I guess I enjoyed overall, but there were some pretty long stretches where my interest waned. I guess in my time travel stories, I'm more interested in paradoxes and consequences than I am in the struggle to adapt to daily life in the past. This story is about 5% of the former and 95% of the later. I have the same problem with a lot of Connie Willis books.

I'm also convinced Stephen King doesn't understand what "Butterfly Effect" means despite referencing it a whole lot in the book.

Next up I'll probably read Ship of Fools or Zoe's Tale in preparation for The Human Division.

This is what made the book so interesting to me.

Also never read Insomnia, but thought the Derry portion of the book was fine.

Sleepy

finally started on Lullaby

One of the better Palahniuk books, but that isn't really saying much. I read all of them until Haunted so I feel I can make that judgment.

Reading this one again:

200px-Inherent_vice_cover.jpg

Just curiously, have you read It or Insomnia? I always wondered how the long part of the book that takes place in Derry works for people who haven't read either. Personally I thought it was great. Loved seeing Bev and Richie. Only part of the book I didn't like was the bit about the future
where everything goes to hell. Felt like a major tonal shift. I think he said the ending was suggested by his son, so maybe that's why.

I actually haven't read either, and
wondered why there was a certain thread there that seemed to come out of nowhere and wasn't resolved by the end. I figured it (specifically the sinister presence he would "sense") was something that would play out towards the end, but while reading the book I felt it was a little out of the blue whenever he brought it up. By the end I'd mostly forgotten about it so when the expected revelation about the thing never came, it didn't bug me. I also didn't realize Bev and Richie were from a different novel. They were integrated well from my standpoint as they seemed like a natural plot device and didn't feel out of place in the story at all. Looking back, I guess it was a little abrupt how quickly they were introduced and then disregarded, save for a few references here and there, but at the time I didn't find anything about them odd.

I actually enjoyed everything about Derry. Maybe because I half-suspected the dark atmosphere of the town had something to do with the time travel aspects, and I tend to be more interested in that side of things than the actual day to day stuff. It was the Jodie stuff that I found to drag (heartwarming though it was).

I actually liked the dark nature of the ending even if it didn't quite gel with the atmosphere in the rest of the book. I would have preferred a more extensive discovery period with a few more details. As it is, it felt really rushed. But I imagine King only wanted to go into as much detail as he would need to to convince the reader that undoing the last 5 years/500 pages of friendships and good deeds was necessary. In that, I think he was successful, and I thought the book's closing sequence was done especially well.

I wanted there to be more about the Yellow/Black/Orange/Green card guys and the nature of the time travel in general but I can't fault King for not writing the book I expected.

I've been meaning to read It, and I'll definitely get to it for this year's 50/50.

f0rk

Finised The Man in the High Castle last night. Was very enjoyable, with believable characters fitting into an interesting (and quite scary) alternative fiction.
I will say though, after finishing it I feel so dumb.
The book was written by the oracle and the world isn't real? I read the wikipedia article after and realised I didn't understand what was happening in the Japanese trade guys last chapter where he was going crazy. But what is their perception of reality if it's not the real one? Or is there no true version of events? Like Grasshopper had the allies win WW2 but was a completely different world to ours. Think I might be missing something
Had a small problem with how the Japanese where pretty much written as the good guys compared to the Nazis, but didn't mention they got to some pretty fucked up shit in the war as well and probably would have after. Or maybe it's just that different universe, I don't know.

On to The Great Gatsby now.

kinn

speaking of Sci-Fi, any recommendations for a good space-opera-ish novel that has strong characterization (if the characters suck and dont feel 'real' ill hate it)? I havent read much sci-fi at all, but id like something with space ships and galactic travel. Also not really interested in a short story structure so I think Hyperion is out

Basically, I want Game of Thrones in space

As some GAFers have already said, i also suggest:

Leviathan-Wakes.jpg

And Revelation Space series. Anything by Alstair Reynolds actually. Pushing Ice and Chasm City were birlliant.

Heechee Saga by Frederik Pohl also. Although Ive only read the 1st two books.

Also highly suggest the Lost Fleet series as well.

Azincourt by Bernard Cornwell

I don't even know how I came across this but I'm sure glad I did. It was hard to put down at times and proved to be thoroughly satisfying althoughI had a few quibbles, namely the occasional quip that reminded the reader how far they were removed from the time period or how some characters were simply caricatures. Historical fiction genre specification aside, it seems like it might appeal to gritty low fantasy fans what with the peasant life is shit and the ignoble nobility.

I remember his Warlord Chronicles being very addictive.

Epcott

diamondage.jpg

Finished this...
As with Snow Crash, it ended abruptly, but still an interesting read. My first post-cyberpunk book.

Are there any Neal Stephenson books that loosely tie into this, similar to how
Nell's teacher in this is alluded to be an elderly Y.T. from Snow Crash?

I actually haven't read either, and
wondered why there was a certain thread there that seemed to come out of nowhere and wasn't resolved by the end. I figured it (specifically the sinister presence he would "sense") was something that would play out towards the end, but while reading the book I felt it was a little out of the blue whenever he brought it up. By the end I'd mostly forgotten about it so when the expected revelation about the thing never came, it didn't bug me. I also didn't realize Bev and Richie were from a different novel. They were integrated well from my standpoint as they seemed like a natural plot device and didn't feel out of place in the story at all. Looking back, I guess it was a little abrupt how quickly they were introduced and then disregarded, save for a few references here and there, but at the time I didn't find anything about them odd.

I actually enjoyed everything about Derry. Maybe because I half-suspected the dark atmosphere of the town had something to do with the time travel aspects, and I tend to be more interested in that side of things than the actual day to day stuff. It was the Jodie stuff that I found to drag (heartwarming though it was).

I actually liked the dark nature of the ending even if it didn't quite gel with the atmosphere in the rest of the book. I would have preferred a more extensive discovery period with a few more details. As it is, it felt really rushed. But I imagine King only wanted to go into as much detail as he would need to to convince the reader that undoing the last 5 years/500 pages of friendships and good deeds was necessary. In that, I think he was successful, and I thought the book's closing sequence was done especially well.

I wanted there to be more about the Yellow/Black/Orange/Green card guys and the nature of the time travel in general but I can't fault King for not writing the book I expected.

I've been meaning to read It, and I'll definitely get to it for this year's 50/50.

I agree about wanting to know more about the mechanics of how the card guys work. At the same time, King usually stays away from explaining too much of the "how" when it comes to that kind of thing, which I think helps it stay just mysterious enough.

I forgot to mention my one other complaint with the book (which I still mostly really liked): I never really bought the main character's motivation. It seemed like it was his friend who was REALLY convinced about the necessity of what he wanted to do, and the main character needed remarkably little convincing.
So by extension, it seems like when he falls in love, it was harder to believe that he would risk losing that relationship by being present at the scene of the crime/attempted crime.

I think you'll like It based on what you said; the town of Derry is basically an evil character itself.

I agree about wanting to know more about the mechanics of how the card guys work. At the same time, King usually stays away from explaining too much of the "how" when it comes to that kind of thing, which I think helps it stay just mysterious enough.

I haven't read much of King, but the last thing I remember reading by him was Under the Dome, and he didn't go into much explicit detail upon the big reveal there, but I thought it was just enough (and I *really* liked Under the Dome). I guess looking back, it would have probably seemed out of place for there to be anymore exposition on mechanics than there already was.

I forgot to mention my one other complaint with the book (which I still mostly really liked): I never really bought the main character's motivation.

I had the same thought when reading it, but I chalked it up to having been a child of the late-80s/90s. I knew it was probably a little bunk, but I convinced myself that if I'd grown up closer to that period I'd totally buy it. And that became a much harder sell for me at the same point it did for you.

Still I was harsh, but overall I did enjoy the read and really like Stephen King as a writer, (which might be one of the least controversial things ever said).

TheWraith

Yes, first post on Neogaf ever! Have read so many great suggestions on this thread in the past months it's time for me to give back!

Was on a McCammon fix recently and read:
swan-song.jpg

Having heard lots of great things about this one as one of the finest post-apocalyptic novel ever, on par with The Stand, I'd say its even a step above from The Stand. Great characters overcoming great hardship with the right balance between the plausible and the supernatural. A very proper ending as well I thought. Can't recommend it enough, in my all-time favorites for sure.

Also McCammon:
n935.jpg

Reads like a A-class John Carpenter-flick but only better. Real engaging characters are placed in a Texan town that gets visited by an otherworldly bounty hunter. Totally gripping, read it over 3 days just couldn't stop.

Now onto more recent books, real fun so far:

ColdDays340.jpg

Yes, first post on Neogaf ever! Have read so many great suggestions on this thread in the past months it's time for me to give back!

Welcome to GAF TheWraith.

Dear lord those McCammon covers are hideous. Good books though. I enjoyed the Stand more personally for the gruesomeness if nothing else.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
I finally finished reading the last ten percent of The Great North Road. It pains me to say it but I think it's my least favourite of all of Hamilton's novels. The first 90% was brilliant. Such a great ride. The way he closed off the myriad of story threads in the last ten percent left a bit to be desired.

I guess I'd still recommend it for the journey up to that point. Although if you were debating between that and another of Hamilton's novels to start off with, I'd go for something like Fallen Dragon instead.

I'm now debating what to read next. It's tempting to continue on with The Diamond Age. But I might power on through The Lost World again just for a change of pace before I do.

I finally finished reading the last ten percent of The Great North Road. It pains me to say it but I think it's my least favourite of all of Hamilton's novels. The first 90% was brilliant. Such a great ride. The way he closed off the myriad of story threads in the last ten percent left a bit to be desired.

The more I think about that book, the more I loathe it. I don't think it would have been half as bad if 90% of the Newcastle shit was edited out.

And yeah the ending was pretty weak.

Stinger sounds awesome, Wraith. Definitely gonna put that on my list.

Suttree.JPG

Bleak as hell, but damn if I didn't grow to love it. Almost done, need to get back into it to finish the last 30 or so pages I have left. Definitely my favorite of McCarthy's books that I've read so far.

Suttree.JPG

Bleak as hell, but damn if I didn't grow to love it. Almost done, need to get back into it to finish the last 30 or so pages I have left. Definitely my favorite of McCarthy's books that I've read so far.
:)

Definitely his Ulysses.
Written over a span of 30 years so it can get tedious but I love that slow burn.

TheWraith

Welcome to GAF TheWraith.

Dear lord those McCammon covers are hideous. Good books though. I enjoyed the Stand more personally for the gruesomeness if nothing else.

Hah yes they are, although the newer versions are even worse they can't get any more generic than that.

Welcome Wraith. Love the sound of that Stinger book. Only McCammon book I've ever read is Swan Song (which was great).

Cool, if you dig McCammon definitely also check out "The Wolf's Hour". WW2 Werewolf Agent gets sent into Nazi-Occupied Europe, with some great evil Nazi-Villains and a definite Raiders-kinda vibe!

Are there any Neal Stephenson books that loosely tie into this, similar to how
Nell's teacher in this is alluded to be an elderly Y.T. from Snow Crash?

I don't think so. I know that Cryptonomicon and the Quicksilver trilogy are tied together, but the rest are all standalone.

I'm taking a course on network security so I might get back into Cryptonomicon. I love that book.

Celegus

Just finished Sabriel by Garth Nix. Anyone else read the other books in the series? I found the plot a little thin and it didn't explain enough of the world and magic systems in place. There are a lot of systems and seemingly interesting things in place, but I still just don't understand how they work. Maybe I've just been too spoiled by Brandon Sanderson who spells out all the rules, who knows.

ShaneB

Nearing the half way point with Marooned in Realtime, really loving it after getting over the initial hump of confusion, really wish I had read peace war first instead of summary, but ah well.

Already thinking of the next book, in the mood to go through a classic, I had Catcher in the Rye all lined up, but maybe with the Idle Book Club having just finished a podcast on Great Gatsby, maybe I'll do that instead.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
The more I think about that book, the more I loathe it. I don't think it would have been half as bad if 90% of the Newcastle shit was edited out.

And yeah the ending was pretty weak.

That's a good point. If the sitcom style crime drama was removed, it'd make the story much more concise / focused. It ended up serving no real purpose in the end anyway.

Mitsuho

Banned
Just finished Sabriel by Garth Nix. Anyone else read the other books in the series? I found the plot a little thin and it didn't explain enough of the world and magic systems in place. There are a lot of systems and seemingly interesting things in place, but I still just don't understand how they work. Maybe I've just been too spoiled by Brandon Sanderson who spells out all the rules, who knows.

Many YA books can be a little thin. I felt that the lack of magic rule explanations were intentional given the author wanted you to feel Sabriel's plight as it relates to her lack of teachers about how to be an Abhorsen and who's information she should trust.

Right now I'm listening to Song of Ice and Fire book three, Storm of Swords (digital books on tape I downloaded using my library's subscription to Overdrive) and reading When Beauty Tamed the Beast.

Victarion

I just finished reading chapter 26 of The Name of the Wind. It was just incredible, felt like reading The Silmarillion again.

Videoneon

caveman-mystique-pop-darwinism-debates-over-sex-violence-martha-mccaughey-paperback-cover-art.jpg

I'm on the last of five chapters, it's about a hundred pages not counting the fairly lengthy introduction (which was...surprisingly difficult to read.) It's quite interesting. It spends less time than I anticipated on picking apart pop culture things - most of the time it looks at branches of science that bleed into social theory and inform pop culture (sociobiologist, evolutionary psychologists, and etc. articles being published and then referenced in things like Men's Health and even Time magazine) and people even writing their own stuff like Silverback Gorilla Syndrome.

Other topics that I appreciated include the politics of academe / value-neutrality of science not completely true in certain branches or topics that some disciplines delve into, alongside talks of homosexuality and mating patterns/genders of some species. I also found the light discussion on the paradigm shift from religion as informing the WASP heterocentrism to "evolutionism" taking that role. The book was more than I expected, though quite short anyway. It's an accessible read, and very happy to have read it. Only have miniscule complaints with it, like humor that was awkwardly placed and over-ambitious handling of multiple perspectives (although you know where she stands, sometimes her words send mixed messages about different camps)

I finished The Shadow of the Torturer. Now starting The Claw of the Conciliator

There are just so many beautiful ideas in these books. Say for example, in the beginning of The Claw,
the way he
describes the Wall dividing two worlds as the book cover divides the two books

of course there's a lot i don't get. How could the Claw fall on his lap so easily? Isn't this the thing people have been looking for for centuries? And what's up with Severian seeing his old master that's been long dead? and the hovering building... well I hope it all makes sense in the end.

Lumiere

Neo Member
I finished The Shadow of the Torturer. Now starting The Claw of the Conciliator

There are just so many beautiful ideas in these books. Say for example, in the beginning of The Claw,
the way he
describes the Wall dividing two worlds as the book cover divides the two books

of course there's a lot i don't get. How could the Claw fall on his lap so easily? Isn't this the thing people have been looking for for centuries? And what's up with Severian seeing his old master that's been long dead? and the hovering building... well I hope it all makes sense in the end.
A lot is explained by the end of The Citadel of the Autarch - these books definitely call for a re-read in order to catch all the details that make sense in hindsight.

Hope you enjoy the rest of it! Those are fantastic books, I want to read more of Wolfe after going through them.

DrSlek

Mostly non-fiction nowadays. Just cannot get back into fiction....I guess I'll never finish the Dark Tower series.

Currently reading Human Instinct by Professor Lord Robert Winston
human-instinct-how-our-primeval-impulses-shape-our-modern-lives.jpg

Piecake

jhegaala-789529.jpg

Well, just got done reading that, and it was quite good. I think I'm going to take a bit of a break from Vlad Taltos though. I started to feel a bit burned out by the end, so i want something different

I'm either going to start the Vorkosigan Saga or give an Alastair Reynolds novel a shot. Not sure which yet

Vyer

Was on a McCammon fix recently and read:
swan-song.jpg

I would recommend Boy's Life. I read it many years ago and enjoyed it a great deal. It's not strictly 'horror' though, although I'm not much of a horror guy so fair warning.

The Dog Stars by Peter Heller

This book got such good praise, but I guess it just wasn't for me. The choppy stream of consciousness style distracted me more than it should have. And I couldn't relate to Hig at all. I have a special place of dislike in my heart for drifter characters, I guess.

Jasper was the best character in the book, probably because he was a dog.

friday

Currently in the middle of The Iron Council. It's Second book of China Mieville I have read, the first being The City and The City. I have been enjoying it quite a bit. The world is really interesting, the different races and remade are very cool.

0330492527.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

thomaser

Has anyone read Borges' non-fiction? I'm picking up the short story collection, but I was wondering if the non-fiction is worth grabbing

Yep, I've read it, and it's great. It was years ago, so I don't remember much of it, but I recall enjoying it a lot. Borges is a worthy read no matter what he wrote about.

LProtag

Has anyone read Borges' non-fiction? I'm picking up the short story collection, but I was wondering if the non-fiction is worth grabbing, as well.

I'm about halfway through the short stories. Let me know how this is if you pick it up. I feel like I'd really enjoy his non-fiction, because his writing is great. A lot of his short stories are literary criticism as it is.

Sleepy

Yep, I've read it, and it's great. It was years ago, so I don't remember much of it, but I recall enjoying it a lot. Borges is a worthy read no matter what he wrote about.

I'm about halfway through the short stories. Let me know how this is if you pick it up. I feel like I'd really enjoy his non-fiction, because his writing is great. A lot of his short stories are literary criticism as it is.

Which is why I feel maybe the short stories are enough, but tho's rec is making me reconsider. Thanks for the info, etc.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
200px-WoT01_TheEyeOfTheWorld.jpg

A little more than halfway through Wheel of Time's first book The Eye of the World. It's ok, prose is bit odd at times and the plot isn't exactly enthralling, but I'll reserve judgement till the end, given how much love the series gets and everything I'll continue on for a few more books even if this and the following ones don't exactly blow my socks off.

DagsJT

2001243361-260x260-0-0_The_Golden_Compass_His_Dark_Materials_Book_I_by_Ph.jpg

Just finished and gave it 5/5 on Goodreads, excellent book.

Now to decide between:

Gary Noesner - Stalling For Time
John Scalzi - Old Man's War
Ken Grimwood - Replay
Vince Flynn - American Assassin

Kisaya

Just bought The Girl Who Played With Fire today :') Very excited to read it while commuting to work and school.

Piecake

200px-WoT01_TheEyeOfTheWorld.jpg

A little more than halfway through Wheel of Time's first book The Eye of the World. It's ok, prose is bit odd at times and the plot isn't exactly enthralling, but I'll reserve judgement till the end, given how much love the series gets and everything I'll continue on for a few more books even if this and the following ones don't exactly blow my socks off.

If you feel like this from the first book I would say that there isnt a good chance youll end up liking the series

I really dont like the series myself

Manik

Just about to finish up Ship of Fools after seeing so many people recommend it on here and I found it an utter blast; just so much fun to read.
However, it's the first sci-fi book I've picked up in some time, so was hoping someone could recommend me something to go for next - ideally something similar to Ship of Fools (low on technobabble, fast paced with maybe a bit of mystery). I'm a bit out of the loop since it's been so long!

I haven't read much of King, but the last thing I remember reading by him was Under the Dome, and he didn't go into much explicit detail upon the big reveal there, but I thought it was just enough (and I *really* liked Under the Dome). I guess looking back, it would have probably seemed out of place for there to be anymore exposition on mechanics than there already was.

I had the same thought when reading it, but I chalked it up to having been a child of the late-80s/90s. I knew it was probably a little bunk, but I convinced myself that if I'd grown up closer to that period I'd totally buy it. And that became a much harder sell for me at the same point it did for you.

Still I was harsh, but overall I did enjoy the read and really like Stephen King as a writer, (which might be one of the least controversial things ever said).

Sorry, missed your post until now. I was also born in the 80's, and that's a good point.
It might be a generational gap sort of thing (if you were alive during the assassination, it was huge, you'd definitely stop it if you could, etc.).

Re-reading the Talisman now (SK/Peter Straub), haven't read this in many years.

Top Bottom