• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (January 2015)

I zipped through Wolf in White Van. I liked it, but I kept wanting something . . . more? I really liked all of the asides and the way he wove other characters, but I wished that there was a bit more of a narrative arc for Sean. I'm not sure what I would have added, or where he would have gone, but I feel like his major arc already happened and he was just letting us know where he stood now and I'd have liked to follow that arc a little more closely.

The Hermit

51oXKWrcYYL.jpg

16248196.jpg

I very nice insight of how our minds tend to work

Piecake

I finished up From Bloody Shirt to Full Dinner Pail. It was okay. It improved once it got to Benjamin Harrison, but overall I wasnt very impressed.

I am still listening to Freedom From Fear, but I am going to start reading these books:

I have read very good things about this book, so I have high hopes for it, especially considering it won the Bancroft Prize. What Hath God Wrought was excellent, so hopefully this will give me some different insight or new perspective on what I think is a fascinating period.

Update: I just read the prologue, and wow, I know I am going to love it. The author is a gifted writer. It is clear and concise, and so far, his analysis is fascinating and penetrating. It definitely has a different focus that What Hath God Wrought. What Hath God Wrought definitely had a pro-Whig bias. I have a feeling that this one will not. The narrative focus of the book is a bit different as well, so I am definitely glad I got it now. Hopefully the remaining 800 pages are as good as the first 6!

This book seemed right up my alley and something about it just pulled me to it. Hopefully it lives up to my expectations!

TTG

I would rate Dostoevsky's novels as such:

TBK
Demons
Notes from Underground
Crime and Punishment
The Idiot.

I think all of his work is excellent though. TBK is simply godly.

Oh man, I'm so bummed I missed out on the Dostoevsky conversation. My list:

Demons
Crime and Punishment
The Brothers Karamazov
This awesome short story collection

Funny, I would never recommend Demons to the uninitiated. It's the most plodding and aimless of the bunch, but Stavrogin being who he is, well he just shoots right up to the top, doesn't he? Past Marmeladov, Raskolnikov and Svidrigailov, old daddy Karamzov and Dimitri, the ridiculous man and the rest of them.

VanWinkle

Currently making my way through Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson. Honestly, 90% of what I've read over the last year has been from Sanderson. I started with Way of Kings and am now about half-way through his published works. He has become my favorite author ever. It made me kind of sad to read a few things in this thread about him treating writing like a 9-5 job or that he's the Marvel Pictures of fantasy novels, because I feel it belittles the fantastic, detailed work that's gone into what he's published. I feel like he creates more interesting worlds, magic systems, and characters than almost anyone in the fantasy business.

I was trying to read through a book a few months back called Promise of Blood by Brian McClellan. It was, for all intents and purposes, a good book, but I just couldn't get into it. I read about 30%, and I wasn't connecting to the characters, the world felt somewhat uninteresting and political, and the tone never shifted, with little to no breaks into humor or lightheartedness. Now, I'm reading Mistborn, which honestly feels kind of similar to that book, but I am captivated. I love these characters. He made the world just interesting enough to be mysterious and fun to learn about. There's humor when there needs to be some injected, but it's still a serious story with overarching things happening.

People talk about his prose. I love his prose. Prose doesn't have to always be poetic. You don't have to sludge through a book to find it well-written. His is simple, but not dumbed-down, concise, and written in such a way that when the action is moving, you're flying through what's going on, but when things slow down, so too does your reading. I like various types of prose, and I appreciate those who can write in really poetic, thought-provoking ways, but I fail to see how Sanderson's style is any less "worthy" of being highly-regarded.

Anyway, back to the book!

Piecake

Oh man, I'm so bummed I missed out on the Dostoevsky conversation. My list:

Demons
Crime and Punishment
The Brothers Karamazov
This awesome short story collection

Funny, I would never recommend Demons to the uninitiated. It's the most plodding and aimless of the bunch, but Stavrogin being who he is, well he just shoots right up to the top, doesn't he? Past Marmeladov, Raskolnikov and Svidrigailov, old daddy Karamzov and Dimitri, the ridiculous man and the rest of them.

Its been like 10 years since Ive read any Dostoevsky, so it is rather difficult for me to have a conversation on his works. The only thing I remember reading about Demons was that I found it the most 'entertaining' of all of his works. Though I can find a book with no plot entertaining so long as the characters are fascinating.

People talk about his prose. I love his prose. Prose doesn't have to always be poetic. You don't have to sludge through a book to find it well-written. His is simple, but not dumbed-down, concise, and written in such a way that when the action is moving, you're flying through what's going on, but when things slow down, so too does your reading. I like various types of prose, and I appreciate those who can write in really poetic, thought-provoking ways, but I fail to see how Sanderson's style is any less "worthy" of being highly-regarded.

Anyway, back to the book!

I don't think prose has to be poetic, dense, and flowery to be considered fantastic either. I think simple prose can be beautiful and evocative. I think Stoner by John Williams is a very good example of this. I don't think Sanderson can compare to Williams as a writer. That is not to say that I think he is a bad writer. I think he is good enough. It is neither a negative or a positive. It gets the job done and lets you focus on the plot, world, and characters.

If you think he is an excellent writer, that is fine by me. Everyone has different opinions on these things. I just wanted to point out that the people (or at least me) who say that Sanderson's prose is serviceable do not think that great prose is only limited to people who write like Nabokov.

Iksenpets

Banned
For the past few weeks, I decided to go fucking insane and start Gravity's Rainbow.

What have I done.

Hey, me too. I spent a big chunk of last year working through Infinite Jest and 1Q84, and have for some reason decided to continue my streak large novels. I'm just about at the halfway mark now.

Mumei

Hey, me too. I spent a big chunk of last year working through Infinite Jest and 1Q84, and have for some reason decided to continue my streak large novels. I'm just about at the halfway mark now.

I recently picked this up from the used bookstore. Whenever I get the itch to re-read it, I'll have this to go along with it:

TTG

I know next to nothing about Sanderson, but he sounds like the dude Stephenson was satirizing in Reamde. Do I have that right?(if I remember correctly, the main character is managing two separate writers for his mmo and one of them sounds a lot like this Sanderson) Ironically, that is one of the few books I've dropped having read past the halfway mark due to the page count. The action wasn't flagrantly bad, but a 1000+ page book devoted to action has to do better than what he had going on.

I recently picked this up from the used bookstore. Whenever I get the itch to re-read it, I'll have this to go along with it:

We should do a Gravity's Rainbow book club, that's the only way I would read the thing.

Cade

Was stuck with family and only had access to my Kindle so I, too, am reading The Explorer by noted author James Smythe, as well as Authority and NOTW still. Already 11% into it and I'm into it alright. Excited to see where this goes.

Converse

Banned
I'm finally reading Musashi by Eiji Yoshikawa:

f7159d81535c35d7a056b6e76304cd8f.jpg

It's one of the seminal samurai novels, an epic, fictionalized account of the life of Miyamoto Musashi (author of the Book of Five Rings). I adore it so far; it's like a more hardboiled, samurai-flavored Lord of the Rings with more humor and more eyeballs being punched out of their sockets. If it makes any sense at all, it's something I would have loved to have seen as a John Milius film.

Just finished The Cassandra Project. A near-future Sci-Fi conspiracy book about secret moon landings prior to Apollo 13. I liked it, but given the amount of teasing and leading throughout the book, the ending was kind of disappointing.

You've gone too far. Sanderson's characters are far more interesting and distinguishable than anything Scalzi puts down on paper.

If Sanderson is equivalent to the Marvel Cinematic Universe, then Scalzi is 20th Century Fox releasing Fantastic Four.

Jumping in on the Scalzi hate. I attempted to read Redshirts because based on the description, it seemed like a great premise, but after the prologue and first chapter, I had to drop it. It felt like I was reading a kids book.

"Blah, blah, blah." Duvall said.
"Blah, blah, blah." Dahl said.
"Blah blah!" Duvall said.
"Blah blah blah blah." Dahl said.
"Blah blah..." Duvall said.

etc, etc, etc. His writing drove me up the wall.

Wabba

I am reading Alex Ferguson's biography and Keepler: The sandman. The Sandman is a great book so far, so much tension and a really mysterious story.

I read Eat Pray Love for the first time, and enjoyed it. But, and this might just be me, it seemed to have a ton of parallels to The Divine Comedy. I don't mean that Italy is Inferno or anything, but the story structure is very similar. She even divides the three sections into further sections. This isn't a criticism or anything either - I just thought it had parallels and found it curious.

As for the book itself, and judging it only as a story and not as a real-life experience (is it? I seem to recall that that was a major component of the hype), it was a good "journey to the self" type of story, made believable in a modern setting. This wasn't the first time I've read something like this so I wasn't blown away, but I thought it made some good points. It didn't go as far into the journey as something like Siddhartha, but the protagonist (I'm looking at the story and the characters within at face value, and not to any real life circumstances that they correlate to) wasn't searching for the same things, so I don't feel like it needed to anyways. Again, it was good, and possibly profound to someone not experienced with this type of story.

X-Frame

Moving onto Ancillary Sword by Ann Leckie.

I read the first two chapters so far today, it's nice to return to this world! I liked Ancillary Justice quite a lot, it seemed like a refreshing change from the other SF/F books I read last year.

I also like to try and guess the genders of any prominent characters, and so far I have no idea. I'll just imagine them as whatever gender I want for now, haha.

51MguDFDWUL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Althane

On the topic of Superhero Books, in addition to After the Golden Age, I picked up The Astounding Antagonists.

I blew through Antagonists in the evening. Holy shit, I liked it. Was a bit pandering with memes and such, and the e-book could have used some editing (don't know why, but even small errors stick out like giant red lights in e-book format), but overall it was a ton of fun, just what I was looking for in a superhero(/villain) romp.

Maybe a wee bit heavy handed with making the villains (antagonists / heroes, the "good guys") dickish, but eh. It's superhero literature, what do you expect?

Reading, at the moment, Reza Aslan's Zealot:
zealot.jpg

Very interesting read, and, although I understand what market this book is being aimed at, Aslan could do more to fill out the footnotes for those who wish to read deeper.

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/f7/15/9d/f7159d81535c35d7a056b6e76304cd8f.jpg

It's one of the seminal samurai novels, an epic, fictionalized account of the life of Miyamoto Musashi (author of the Book of Five Rings). I adore it so far; it's like a more hardboiled, samurai-flavored Lord of the Rings with more humor and more eyeballs being punched out of their sockets. If it makes any sense at all, it's something I would have loved to have seen as a John Milius film.
I've had that book on my kindle wish list for ages. The kindle version is so expensive though. The way you described the book, I may have to just cave and buy it.

I am reading Mr. Mercedes at the moment, and it has been good so far.

Second book of Southern Reach trilogy done.

w356518.jpg

Well I did not expect the change in the narrative but a fascinating continuation regardless. For me, the curiosity into Area X was all the more heightened from the events set up. It took more time to adjust into the pacing, especially given the wholesome detail and background of different characters, however with progression it delivered the strange dread in moving forward. I'm beginning Acceptance now and I'm all buckled up.

Necrovex

I love Musashi. One of my favorite books. I need to get on reading my volumes of Vagabond, too!

I have a gigantic backlog of Vagabond ready to go when I go on my 16 hour flight to Joberg next week. First time reading through that manga to boot!

Celegus

I love Musashi. One of my favorite books. I need to get on reading my volumes of Vagabond, too!

Well something just shot to the top of my reading list. Looks awesome!

Piecake

The Rise of American Democracy: Jefferson to Lincoln is phenomenal.

I am only about 60 pages in, but is making me rethink and reinterpretate previously held beliefs. So far, I think it is relying too much on republican and democratic society perception to give a truly balanced look at the period, but that might change. Even if it doesnt, it will still be phenomenal. I would just recommend people read What Hath God Wrought in addition to this book.

Converse

Banned
I've had that book on my kindle wish list for ages. The kindle version is so expensive though. The way you described the book, I may have to just cave and buy it.

Highly recommended. It looks like the Kindle edition, expensive as it is, might be the most affordable choice -- the hardback goes for about $25 (even on eBay), and you'd have to track the paperbacks down in separate volumes. I really lucked out -- my neighborhood has an old phone booth that people use to swap books, so I got mine for free.

Well something just shot to the top of my reading list. Looks awesome!

This makes me more excited about moving forward, Mumei. And hope you're able to do so, Celegus.

Onto The Magician's Land, the third book in Grossman's trilogy. Honestly, this is some of my favourite fantasy in ages and ages. It's a sloppy shorthand to say that it's Narnia meets Potter meets Less Than Zero, but that's really not far off. And it's just the right side of metafictional to boot. I'll be sad when I've finished with these books...

Kawl_USC

Had a pretty good run of reading over the holidays. The extra down time was really nice and I'm going to continue to make an effort to keep reading as one of my main ways to use free time even when work picks up. I've been playing less video games since graduating college and starting my career, and I think the ease of being able to read for 30 minutes over lunch versus gaming is the reason I haven't fallen off as hard. Similarly, I've been listening to a lot more music proportionally since it's easy to listen and discover new stuff while working. I was curious if any one else has had some of the same experience in making the shift from school to work.

As for books:

19288259.jpg

This was a quick, fun read about an English professor and writer at a middling Liberal Arts college who gets tapped to write hundreds of Letters of Recommendation. He uses the letters as a chance to further personal agendas, vent frustration, and from time to time show some genuine affection for colleagues and students. Given that it's told only through LoR I was curious as to how it would play out. Overall, it was different than most of what I read and a pleasant change of pace. I'd probably rate it 3.5/5.

20174424.jpg

Taking a recommendation form Aidan's blog/best of 2014 list, I dug into this novel. As others in the thread have said this was excellent. Very different than most fantasy I've read in recent memory and up there with Ancillary Justice as recent books that distinguish themselves from the pack of conventionally plotted dreck. I wonder if the mystery aspect of both books plays into that. 5/5

18007564.jpg

Being roughly the hundredth person to comment on this book in the thread I won't say much other than to say I really enjoyed it and found the sense of humor fitting. I ended up buying physical copies as a gift for my father to try to get him to branch out a little past the Tom Clancy, Vince Flynn novels that he typically reads. 4/5.

20170404.jpg

I think I've seen a few other people in this thread mention this book. A pretty unique take on a post-apocalyptic setting with the focus on actors, musicians, and Shakespeare. It was interesting that the main character, in my opinion, dies in the first few pages before the apocalypse happens and the book then deals with the effects his actions have had on both the past and the future. Pretty short read that burned through in just over a day. 4.5/5.

20821087.jpg

For this one, I wanted to branch out from my usual genres and try my hand at some historical fiction (is that correct for a post WWI setting?) but with LESBIANS. Sarah Waters seems to be pretty well known for running with the theme of lesbians through time, and creating damn good novels. I found the book engaging enough and can't tell if I liked the first or second half more. There's a pretty significant event that occurs that changes the focus of the plot starkly. The ending fell a little flat for me. I suppose I just like to have a bit more closure and definitiveness at the end of books. Overall, I'm glad I branched out and tried something a little different. Not sure if I would read another of her books or not though. 3.5/5.

On the topic of finding recommendations for novels, does anyone else listen to Reading/Books/Publishing podcasts? I've been a big fan of Books on the Nightstand for the past few months and read several of these books after hearing them recommended there.

My first post in a reading thread - take it easy on me!

I usually have a fiction book and a non-fiction book going at the same time. It's nice to switch between the two.

For Fiction, I'm reading Pandora's Star by Peter F. Hamilton. About 40% through, but I'm not reading it too quickly.

ps_us.jpg

For Non-Fiction, I just started Running Lean, an actionable guide to implementing Lean Startup theory. We'll see how that goes. I have a few business ventures I want to start in 2015, so hopefully this helps out.

51tCIG3jMzL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Pastry

Banned
I'm reading Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell and The End of the Sentence. I'm really enjoying the latter and breezing through it but man I don't know what to think about Jonathan Strange. I'm about 80 pages in and having trouble getting into it. Does it pick up speed at some point?

Cerity

I don't usually look too much into premises and whatnot when it comes to books I've been recommended or I know are held in high regard but Hardboiled Wonderland & The End of the World really caught me off guard. So, so different from everything else of his that I've read.

valeo

I'm trying to get into the Martian. I really, really want to like it. I'm about half way through and it still seems so dry.. It's like MacGuyver in Space if MacGuyver took 3/4 of the episode explaining everything in far too much detail.

The humour is kind of flat too; it feels like that is the type of humour that would be coming from me if I decided on a whim to write a book one day - It just seems a bit amateur and quite a bit forced.

Like I said, was hoping I'd like it...Guess it's not for me!

Corum

Moving onto Ancillary Sword by Ann Leckie.

I read the first two chapters so far today, it's nice to return to this world! I liked Ancillary Justice quite a lot, it seemed like a refreshing change from the other SF/F books I read last year.

I also like to try and guess the genders of any prominent characters, and so far I have no idea. I'll just imagine them as whatever gender I want for now, haha.

51MguDFDWUL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I'm halfway through Ancillary Sword; I too have no idea about the genders of characters. I think a character is male based on their actions etc. and then when they're referred to as 'her' I'm confused all over again.

Regardless, it's a great series so far and I hope she (or he! :)) continues to write books within this universe.

Hmm. We talked about this question--does "good prose" mean "poetic"--a while back, also centering on Sanderson, funny enough. I think prose is much more complex than that:

I have nothing against Sanderson. I enjoy his books and frequently recommend the podcast he does with several other writers, Writing Excuses. But I think describing his prose as serviceable or middling is pretty reasonable.

I haven't posted in these threads yet, so forgive me for being a bit OT here. Cyan, are there any resources online you used to learn about the inner-workings of prose, or is this is all accumulated from your years or reading (and probably writing, from the sounds of it)? I'm a beginner writer, and I feel my general knowledge of prose is extremely lacking.

I'll definitely be back to properly post in these threads in the future, once I get more time for reading!

Nymerio

Started the Rithmatist yesterday. I saw Firefight on this page and went to goodreads to check it out and holy shit is Sanderson a prolific writer. I mean, I new that he pumps out tons of stuff but the amount of books I saw was kind of shocking. And most of the stuff completely went by me, I didn't even know there was a second Legion book. I think may go on a spree and go through some of the stuff I missed.

22443261.jpg

I'm about 30% or so in and like it a lot. The man has a way with magic systems, it's amazing. And he keeps coming up with new stuff.

Jag

Started the Rithmatist yesterday. I saw Firefight on this page and went to goodreads to check it out and holy shit is Sanderson a prolific writer. I mean, I new that he pumps out tons of stuff but the amount of books I saw was kind of shocking. And most of the stuff completely went by me, I didn't even know there was a second Legion book. I think may go on a spree and go through some of the stuff I missed.

I'm about 30% or so in and like it a lot. The man has a way with magic systems, it's amazing. And he keeps coming up with new stuff.

I think Rithmatist is part of his YA stuff. I love Sanderson, but wasn't a fan of Rithmatist. It was a bit too Harry Potter for me.

Nymerio

Yeah, I've seen it before and decided not to read it because it's YA but this time I just went with it because I was down for a fast read. You can definitely tell that it's for a younger audience but I'm not letting that keep me from enjoying it :)

Mumei

I haven't posted in these threads yet, so forgive me for being a bit OT here. Cyan, are there any resources online you used to learn about the inner-workings of prose, or is this is all accumulated from your years or reading (and probably writing, from the sounds of it)? I'm a beginner writer, and I feel my general knowledge of prose is extremely lacking.

I'll definitely be back to properly post in these threads in the future, once I get more time for reading!

I am not Cyan, but if you want lots of resources this thread might be the place to start on GAF.

Go and read this before doing anything else:

61Korem8uGL.jpg

Then, personally, I'd recommend this:

515tU%2BiTjJL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

It's far more practical, more about the stuff that they teach on writing courses - story arc, Aristotlean prose, form and mode. Lots of useful stuff in there - I use both books when teaching. They're written by amazing working writers (far too many HERE'S HOW TO WRITE! books are written by people with limited experience or publications to their names, which seems insane to me) and they're pretty much invaluable when you're just starting out.

Oh, and join the WritingGAF thread. I only found it the other day, but seems like a wonderful community for people who are actually trying to write and get better at this.

X-Frame

I'm halfway through Ancillary Sword; I too have no idea about the genders of characters. I think a character is male based on their actions etc. and then when they're referred to as 'her' I'm confused all over again.

Regardless, it's a great series so far and I hope she (or he! :)) continues to write books within this universe.

Ann Leckie did an AMA recently on Reddit and even she said she doesn't know what gender some characters are in the all-Radch scenes, haha. So really, it's whatever we want to make them, I love it.

I'm about 70% through Pines the first book in the Wayward Pines series, and wow what the hell happened to this book. It did not go the way I was expecting it to, at all.

Definitely enjoying it.

Cdammen

I'm halfway through...

200px-MichaelCrighton_StateOfFear.jpg

It's a thriller about global warming, it's quite entertaning and Chricton has done his research. He's almost making me think that all the Bond villain-eques schemes that the baddies are up to might work in real life :)

I'm also in the process of buying / lending and consuming photography books. My latest purchases:

1421085828-20150112-IMG_7835.jpg

...and tomorrow I'm gonna pick up some dutch and or german photography books from the library. I need to study composition and framing, I really enjoy Eggleston's framing, he includes a lot of stuff on the sides - I usually leave out stuff for even more minimal and focused look.

Cdammen

I thought he was a climate change denier in real life?
And he probably is, but he's still done a lot of research. Every statement is backed up by some sort of credible scientific source in the footnotes, I haven't checked them all but it's nice to see that he took the time.

I can say that yes I believe that global warming (whatever it might be) is happening, but I can't prove it for certain. My knowledge of global warming is shallow at best (like the rest of the populous I think) and based on some documentaries, and some brief articles. This book has at least made me curious about the parts, that as a whole, form this massive issue.

At the moment, halfway through the book, I can certainly see where he stands on the issue, but the protagonists seem to be split on the issue which is nice. It creates a nice traction :)

Top Bottom