• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (July 2013)

Pau

I read the first volume of Chew which I really liked! The art is fun and the ideas are so crazy that even though I'm not a huge fan of food, I can't help but have fun with them.

3NqQiwG.jpg

Right now I'm reading through Ursula K. Le Guin's short story collection The Birthday of the World and Other Stories. She's already one of my favorite authors of all time, but the more I read of her, the more I fall in love with her stuff. One story in particular, "Solitude," just made me break down into tears. I'm trying to explain the feeling that Le Guin captures in most of her stories. Nostalgia might be the word. From both her worlds and characters, you feel how utterly time has passed and how you can't ever go back. But there is a joy in that it did happen.

I think she describes it best herself in the foreword which I tend to enjoy reading as much as her stories: "I went out to a place somewhat like the Earth we used to write about in the sixties and seventies when we believed in Atomic Holocaust and the End of the World as We Know It. I still believe in Atomic Holocaust, you betcha, but the time for writing stories about it is not now, and the world as I knew it has already ended several times." Just that last line.

I'm excited that I'm reading fiction again. I've felt like I haven't been able to enjoy it in so long. And Ursula K. Le Guin does stuff so naturally that I look at other authors and wonder why they haven't caught up yet. I love science fiction and fantasy, but these genres (as well as more "literary" fiction) have so many problems with gender and race that reading most novels just ends up making me more depressed than happy.

I'll tell ya - the guy has a TON of range - sci-fi, horror, his Dickens/Collins book Drood, etc.

But, yes, I liked The Terror and Drood both, but they were far too long. It's not a huge issue, but I find tedium in an otherwise good book especially annoying.
bit of an opposite view. I loved Hyperion and Endymion. thought The Terror was too long and tedious. I read the first of his recent Greek pantheon series and was likewise unimpressed.

Pretty confident you'll enjoy it. Like Sparky said, it is pretty lengthy, but I never got bored. I loved the atmosphere, the real life history aspect and just the eeriness of it.

Its already creepy - out in an area of the arctic where no other humans should be and they hear screaming in the distance? I'd be turrified.

Lumiere

Neo Member
Tonight, I finally finished:

Lyonesse book 1: Lyonesse (aka Suldrun's Garden) by Jack Vance
This was a slow read, not because it's bad but because it jumps around, back and forth, between a very large number of characters, and the sections almost feel like little self contained short stories. I had a tendency to read a section, feel very satisfied by it, and then put the book down for a while before picking it up again. In the end it all comes together very nicely, and I feel invested enough in several of the characters that I'm going to start the next book immediately.

Thanks for the review! I have this on my to-read list (together with the Dying Earth) and I'm actually more curious about it after reading your impressions. The only problem is that I have this huge omnibus edition that includes all three volumes, and just looking at its size scares me!
Right now I'm reading through Ursula K. Le Guin's short story collection The Birthday of the World and Other Stories. She's already one of my favorite authors of all time, but the more I read of her, the more I fall in love with her stuff. One story in particular, "Solitude," just made me break down into tears. I'm trying to explain the feeling that Le Guin captures in most of her stories. Nostalgia might be the word. From both her worlds and characters, you feel how utterly time has passed and how you can't ever go back. But there is a joy in that it did happen.

I think she describes it best herself in the foreword which I tend to enjoy reading as much as her stories: "I went out to a place somewhat like the Earth we used to write about in the sixties and seventies when we believed in Atomic Holocaust and the End of the World as We Know It. I still believe in Atomic Holocaust, you betcha, but the time for writing stories about it is not now, and the world as I knew it has already ended several times." Just that last line.
I loved The Birthday of the World! Then again, I loved pretty much everything I've read by Le Guin... but Birthday of the World stands out to me as one of the best between her (mostly fantastic) short story collections. I have a soft spot for the Hainish stories in particular.

And I agree about her forewords! I went to a reading she did a few months ago, and was delighted to see that she's really the same in person, and even after so many years. :]

Pau

I loved The Birthday of the World! Then again, I loved pretty much everything I've read by Le Guin... but Birthday of the World stands out to me as one of the best between her (mostly fantastic) short story collections. I have a soft spot for the Hainish stories in particular.

And I agree about her forewords! I went to a reading she did a few months ago, and was delighted to see that she's really the same in person, and even after so many years. :]
The only collection I read before this was Tales from Earthsea. She has so many! I'm at a bit of a loss of where to go next. Would you recommend any other collection in particular?

I'm so jealous you got to meet her! Right now she's #1 on my authors-to-meet list. I am also thinking about picking up her essays about writing. If her forewords are anything to go by, they must be lovely.

Krowley

Thanks for the review! I have this on my to-read list (together with the Dying Earth) and I'm actually more curious about it after reading your impressions. The only problem is that I have this huge omnibus edition that includes all three volumes, and just looking at its size scares me!

One thing I need to mention: the fact that I juggle several books at a time probably affected my reading experience on that book to some extent. Because it is structured in such an episodic style, it gave me great opportunities to set it down and go read something else for a while. Someone sticking strictly to one book at a time might have a very different experience with it.

Shin Megami Tensei IV put me in a particular mood, so I'm reading Engine Summer by John Crowley. One of those post-apocalyptic books where the main character emerges from a safe haven, but of course written with the usual Crowley lyricism. First person with lots of unexplained slang, but there's some elements of the story that have captured me.

It's not very long, so I expect to finish it within the next few days.

Mumei

There's a lot of books that look really interesting in this last page. The Birthday of the World, The Boy Detective Fails, Lyonesse, Age of Propaganda, The Angel's Game, Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk, I Am Not A Serial Killer, and probably a few others I missed scrolling through.

I recently finished reading The Story of the Stone (phew), which was phenomenal and something everyone who isn't terrified by the idea of a long family saga should read. I am about 20 pages away from finishing Geoffrey Chaucer's Troilus and Criseyde... I honestly haven't found it particularly interesting, which is why it has taken me so long to finish. And naturally I am reading The Annotated Lolita, which is fantastic. More of you should join us!

I also started Tony Judt's Postwar, which is amazing. I've never read any history about Europe in the postwar period so it's really a flood of new information for me. If anyone has recommendations for other books on the same time period I would be interested.

Oh, and lastly: I need this. Just look at this amazing promotional video. And it is huge! 15 x 8.8 x 2.2 inches. <333

TripOpt55

I jumped into Shadows Linger the second book in the Black Company series. Really liking it so far. Enjoying how they bounce between two perspectives this time.

Narag

Hawk Quest by Robert Lyndon

That was nice. More historical fiction I'm glad I gave a chance. First half felt like this disjointed mess where the story was as shallow as the characters who could be reduced to just their role in the party (i.e. swordsman, falconer, etc.)

It all came together in the second half as character motivations came to light providing the group with much needed depth, cast interaction hit its stride, the adventure became a lot less tedious, and it also seemed like the writing tightened up. Whether it was coincidence that this began when the Viking pirates showed up, I cannot say!

Just finished Deadhouse Gates. Man, there was a moment towards the end of that book that devastated me about as bad as anything I've ever read (just when I thought maybe ASOIAF had desensitized me to that sort of thing). Even 24 hours later I still feel upset thinking about it.

It was definitely a big step up from Gardens of the Moon, and I enjoyed that book quite a bit. I'm looking forward to digging into the third book now.

Mariolee

13.jpg

Hitchhikers Guide to the Universe Omnibus

I've only ever seen the 2005 movie and loved it. Only 20 pages in and I'm loving this as well.

Kallor

Just finished Deadhouse Gates. Man, there was a moment towards the end of that book that devastated me about as bad as anything I've ever read (just when I thought maybe ASOIAF had desensitized me to that sort of thing). Even 24 hours later I still feel upset thinking about it.

It was definitely a big step up from Gardens of the Moon, and I enjoyed that book quite a bit. I'm looking forward to digging into the third book now.

lol. Same.

I also enjoyed Gardens of the moon a good bit too, didn't find it half as confusing as people claimed it to be. Though, this series can make it troublesome to remember so many names and faces.

Nymerio

I think the third book is one of the best of the series (I'm at book 7 so I can't speak for the rest yet), you can look forward to that :)

bit of an opposite view. I loved Hyperion and Endymion. thought The Terror was too long and tedious. I read the first of his recent Greek pantheon series and was likewise unimpressed.

Yeah, I called it out as tedious. It's good, but waaaaaaay too long. Drood was waaaaaay too long as well. I *think* they're still worth reading, as Simmons clearly has skills. He just needs a ruthless editor.

ShaneB

Finished Old Man's War

My goodreads review..
"3.5/5

I liked everything except the “War” parts a hell of a lot. It started off funny and really did a great job of feeling like an adventure to the unknown which I always enjoy. I loved the setup, and the futuristic advancements being presented but I just never connected at all with any of the action elements and the constant planetary warfare, and just seemed like it dragged it down. I had wished there more of the ethical discussions that were briefly mentioned. "

yyzjohn

Banned
Finished Old Man's War

My goodreads review..
"3.5/5

I liked everything except the “War” parts a hell of a lot. It started off funny and really did a great job of feeling like an adventure to the unknown which I always enjoy. I loved the setup, and the futuristic advancements being presented but I just never connected at all with any of the action elements and the constant planetary warfare, and just seemed like it dragged it down. I had wished there more of the ethical discussions that were briefly mentioned. "

Have you read "The Forever War" by Haldeman?

ShaneB

Have you read "The Forever War" by Haldeman?

When I was deciding what to read next, it was basically either Old Man's War, or The Forever War :p It's certainly on my list to stuff I want to read asap.

edit: Deciding what to read next, and I'm thinking maybe Neuromancer is a fine candidate. I'll decide during my lunch break shortly.

What a convenient coincidence that I'm taking Philosophy classes right now.

It's a fun read. Sophie's World and Zen & The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance are great intro to philosophy books without the sleepy professor. The end of Sophie's World when the kids
break out into an orgy
is particularly amusing.

Lumiere

Neo Member
The only collection I read before this was Tales from Earthsea. She has so many! I'm at a bit of a loss of where to go next. Would you recommend any other collection in particular?

I'm so jealous you got to meet her! Right now she's #1 on my authors-to-meet list. I am also thinking about picking up her essays about writing. If her forewords are anything to go by, they must be lovely.
Of her collections, I've read A Fisherman of the Inland Sea, Four Ways to Forgiveness, The Wind's Twelve Quarters and The Unreal and the Real (volume 2). (and Tales of Earthsea, but you already read that one).
They're all very good, but my favorite is probably Four Ways to Forgiveness. It's a collection of 4 loosely connected novellas focused on two planets in the Ekumen setting. Also, I'd probably skip The Unreal and The Real vol. 2 since it's really a selection of stories from her other collections, and some of the best you already know from The Birthday of the World.

I agree that her non-fiction must be lovely :) I'll give it a try one day!

Nymerio

90% through Reaper's Gale. Holy shit. I think Sargeant Hellian has now become my favourite character. Ending Spoilers:
I hope Toc the younger isn't dead for good. I really liked him. I don't care if it'd be a cop-out, bring him back anyway. I want him to reunite with Tool. The scene where tool comprehends who that lone soldier was was brutal :/.

krrrt

I also started Tony Judt's Postwar, which is amazing. I've never read any history about Europe in the postwar period so it's really a flood of new information for me. If anyone has recommendations for other books on the same time period I would be interested.

Savage Continent was pretty good and informative. I'm on mobile and can't remember the author but it's pretty recent.

solid mike

It's a fun read. Sophie's World and Zen & The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance are great intro to philosophy books without the sleepy professor. The end of Sophie's World when the kids
break out into an orgy
is particularly amusing.

Is Zen & The...Maintenance a light read?

Piecake

I decided to start reading the Lyonesse trilogy and I am enjoying it so far. It is definitely well written, but the dialogue seems TOO well written, if you get my meaning. It doesnt seem believable that people would speak like that. I also feel that the character relationships are not given enough time to grow. So yea, those two things right there are keeping me from being sucked into the novel, but I will continue since I am still enjoying it.

I just got past a pretty significant point
that made me go WTF. I totally thought Suldrun and Allias were going to live happily ever after since it just seemed like one of those predictable high fantasy good guy wins novels. NOPE. I am starting to think that this is more like a tragedy now since Suldrun killed herself and her son will become emperor (prophecy). Kinda have the feeling that that is not going to be all peachy now.

Scratch that, I think I am going to give it up for a while. I would classify it as a grand epic, in the old sense. the problem being is that character development seems to suffer because of it. I can't really read a novel without believable characters. Perhaps i'll pick at it and eventually get through it

Wiktor

Finished:

wayne.jpg

Pretty nice. Satisfied my Bats cravings. I liked how it was pure Batman, no Robin or other nonsense, as well as the very Dark Knight like aproach (Wayne being near his 60) and focus on detective aspect. What I didn;t like is how weak the antagonist was. The book was pretty long, but it ended too quickly, just when it was starting to get truly interesting. They should have condensed the first half much more or just split the story into two books.

sC3H8EILXB.png

Loved it. Great premise and setting, plus as always with Sanderson absolutely kick-ass magic system. Plus the ending was just wonderful. Propably my favorite thing that Sanderson wrote.

Now I'm reading:
200px-The_Maze_Runner_cover.png

Nymerio

I liked the first maze runner book, the second and third are pretty trashy though.

Finished up Reaper's Gale yesterday. Ending spoilers:
Fuck that fucking Errant. Why the fuck did Trull have to die? I was so pissed, he was one of favourite characters :/. Aside from that the book was amazing. What I really liked were the dragons getting their asses kicked by Quick Ben and Hedge and later Silchas Ruin getting wrecked by Fiddler and Quick Ben. And fuck yeah Sargeant Hellion, getting drunk in a tavern during the invasion of Letheras. Another nice touch was Smiles cutting off the chancellors pretty hands, couldn't help but chuckle at that.

Krowley

I decided to start reading the Lyonesse trilogy and I am enjoying it so far. It is definitely well written, but the dialogue seems TOO well written, if you get my meaning. It doesnt seem believable that people would speak like that. I also feel that the character relationships are not given enough time to grow. So yea, those two things right there are keeping me from being sucked into the novel, but I will continue since I am still enjoying it.

I just got past a pretty significant point
that made me go WTF. I totally thought Suldrun and Allias were going to live happily ever after since it just seemed like one of those predictable high fantasy good guy wins novels. NOPE. I am starting to think that this is more like a tragedy now since Suldrun killed herself and her son will become emperor (prophecy). Kinda have the feeling that that is not going to be all peachy now.

Scratch that, I think I am going to give it up for a while. I would classify it as a grand epic, in the old sense. the problem being is that character development seems to suffer because of it. I can't really read a novel without believable characters. Perhaps i'll pick at it and eventually get through it

Yeah, it's very old fashioned in almost a fairy tale kind of way, probably more than it needs to be. I came to actually enjoy it because the style makes the more shocking occurrences feel even more raw. The fairy tale voice sort of lulls you to sleep, and then something that feels totally out of place happens and drags you back to reality.

But I can definitely see that being a problem for some. It makes the whole book feel somewhat distant and you have to fill in a lot of blanks when it comes to character development. The character traits are all well represented, and the characters are fairly unique (at least as much as most fantasy), but it's like you're viewing them through this skewed fairy tale lens that makes everything feel very formal and whitewashed, and you almost have to extrapolate what they would really be like.

I'm pretty sure Vance doesn't always write in quite such a distant fairy tale kind of voice--I have the sense that it was an artistic choice for this particular book in order to mimic the old-school epics or something like that--but I can't say for absolute certain because I've only scanned a few pages of his other books.

Ratrat

Well the Haunted Vagina certainly delivered. It exhausts it's premise before it ends but there's enough in there to keep you consistently amused. It wasn't really offensive either.

ymmv

Banned
Today's Amazon deal is 48 of the Hard Case Crime books: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht..._t=1401&pf_rd_p=1582812282&pf_rd_i=1000677541

I'm a sucker for these sort of books so I got all of them (a hell of a backlog now). The only one from this publisher is the new Stephen King book, which I thought was excellent. Keen to read my first Donald E Westlake book now.

That's a great, GREAT deal. It's a shame not all of the HCC books are available as ebooks. There are a dozen or so books in the series that are only available as paperbacks, some of them are even out of print. But I'm almost there. :)

And don't you love those covers!

412PflTrpYL.jpg
51OJpsuRStL.jpg
518zmlvZTgL.jpg

raindoc

No vacation for my body this year, so i decided to take my mind on a trip to the carribean and bought "On Stranger Tides" by Tim Powers and Crichton's "Pirate Latitudes". I'm halfway through Powers' novel and I love it. 4/5 parrots.

phoenixyz

Can anyone recommend anything with Time Travel in it? I read The End of Eternity by Asimov some time ago and I'd really like to revisit that theme. Preferably with a bit more crazy time travel stuff. Asimovs approach was pretty, well, "controlled".

escape-from-camp.jpg

All one can say is: Truth outflanks fiction.
I read a few pages of it. What's happening there is pretty much incomprehensible except on an abstract level. Suddenly all the problems us common westerners have appear in a drastically different light.

Top Bottom