• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (June 2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazza

Finished 'Transcendent' at lunch time, nearly finished with the Xeelee sequence now.

I just 'Resplendent' of Destiny's Children series then a jump back to the main series with 'Gravity Dreams' and it will sadly be another Scifi series finished.

Nezumi

Finished:

The_Black_Company.jpg

I liked it quite a bit. It's really refreshing to read something that just simple and pure fun. Magic is flashy and does not seem to follow any apparent rules but that is OK because who needs rules when you can have flying carpets instead :) The "reveal" at the ending was quite foreseeable but I certainly want to read more. So I started:

Shadows_Linger.jpg

I'm also still listening to:
girl-who-circumvented-fairyland.jpg

Which is simply wonderful. Nothing more nothing less. Everyone who at least enjoys fairy-tales a little bit has to read this book.

MarshallH

Neo Member
I should be receiving

cdcover_med.jpg

and

bestnewhorror24.jpg

sometime this week, so that's what I'll be reading this month.

The latter book is a yearly anthology of short horror stories. I love the series, not just for the great stories, but also because it introduces me to writers I haven't heard of before. If you like short horror stories (which is not for everyone, tbh), check out this series.

obin_gam

Anyone reading or have read Ancillary Justice? How is it? What other kind of sci-fi does it compare to?

fakefaker

Anyone reading or have read Ancillary Justice? How is it? What other kind of sci-fi does it compare to?

Its good, but can be off putting at the start, so you have to get used to the author's style till it breaks your will and you enjoy it.

Sorry I have allergies and they're curbstomping my head right now and I don't know if that helped you at all.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I liked it very much but as fakefaker said, the narrative structure takes some getting used to and for certain readers that can be a dealbreaker.

It's space opera. I don't have a comparison ready on hand because I'm not well versed in this sub genre but in terms of scope its comparable to Star Wars, with an intergalactic civilization whose history spans millennia serving as the backdrop of the story.

What really sets Ancillary Justice apart is the protagonist, who is the AI of a spaceship. In sci-fi, there is a tendency to write AI as people, with human mannerisms and personalities. By blurring the line between organic intelligence and artificial intelligence, these characters are used to question what it means to be human. Ancillary Justice, however, concerns itself with the other side of the coin: what is life like as an AI? That's what makes Ancillary Justice a singular story in my eyes and one of my favorite books in recent years.

About to finish:

th_196fed19a57c6bc2e3b62660cdf2abbd_CityofBonesbyMichaelConnellyUS.jpg

Then onto:

th_196fed19a57c6bc2e3b62660cdf2abbd_LostLightbyMichaelConnellyUS1.jpg

In the past month I've read 7 Michael Connelly books. Even though some of the things that will happen are a bit predictable (Harry hooks up with some woman who doesn't stick around, Harry gets in trouble with his superiors, etc.) I really love Harry Bosch and Connelly is a great mystery writer. I'm reading all his books in publication order and I'm looking forward to getting into the Mickey Haller series since I loved The Lincoln Lawyer movie.

The latter book is a yearly anthology of short horror stories. I love the series, not just for the great stories, but also because it introduces me to writers I haven't heard of before. If you like short horror stories (which is not for everyone, tbh), check out this series.
I haven't read this yet (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JUC8PN8/?tag=neogaf0e-20) but a friend of mine from college wrote the intro. It's on my to read list, but I tend to read horror in the fall for moody reasons.

Pau

Finally finished all of Gene Wolfe's The Book of the Long Sun. My first thought: Wow, that was really Catholic. :p

ShaneB

Finished up A Dog's Purpose. Really loved it, just debating how to review it since I do think I prefer 'The Art of Racing in the Rain' that I read earlier this year. So maybe I'll give it 5/5 since it's easy to recommend, but just denote it to a 4.5/5. Certainly makes me wish I had a dog =( I can definitely see why you like it so much Mack.

The hardcover sequel is actually on sale at Chapters for a few bucks, so I might just go pick that up and start that next. What's interesting though is that while I was reading it, I was thinking to myself how great it is to be reading something that feels like it could only be a book, and wonder how the heck a movie like this would be, and sure enough, in the acknowledgements, it says it's going to be a movie soon.

Death of a Red Heroine by Xiaolong Qiu

It was good for a police procedural set in Shanghai in the 90s. I liked the different perspective, all the passages about food and tea, but I could do without all the poetry. I wonder if the other books in this series are better because this first one was a bit meandering in the middle.

Deep in the middle of Karl Schroeder's Lady of Mazes right now:

51yh6ApwDBL.jpg

It's a prequel to his novel Ventus and takes a look at what technologies would be available to a post-human (or nearly post-human) society, and what they might mean to us. And in particular, what would it mean to have them taken away. Characters in the novel grow up with the availability of a ever present virtual reality called Inscape, that they can live in and out of at a moments notice.

Jo Walton (Hugo and Nebula award winner), did a nice write up on it here.

kinn

How is that series? I have the 1st book but I haven't started it yet.
Yeah its a brilliant series. Never read anything from this author before. But decided to based on GAFs opinions. GAF, Never lets me down!

Highly recommend it mate!

Just got to the end of Part 3.

Goddamn it, Kaladin.

Yeah, im blazing through this book....well blazing for me anyway!

*internet fist bump*

internet fist bumped back!

Have we ever done a poetry book for book of the month?

I don't believe so. Here's Cyan's list ...

The Making of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes (April 2014)
Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut (Mar 2014)
Blindness by José Saramago (Feb 2014)
The Quiet American by Graham Greene (Jan 2014)
If on a winter's night a traveler by Italo Calvino (Sept 2013)
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov (July 2013)
Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand (Feb-Mar 2013)
The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky (September 2012)
Catch-22, by Joseph Heller (January 2012)
The Shadow of the Wind, by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (December 2011)
Blood Meridian: Or the Evening Redness in the West, by Cormac McCarthy (Oct 2011)
The Master and Margarita, by Mikhail Bulgakov (Sep 2011)
The Count of Monte Cristo, by Alexandre Dumas (Aug 2011)
Master and Commander, by Patrick O'Brian (July 2011)
The Happiness Project, by Gretchen Rubin (June 2011)
A Visit from the Goon Squad, by Jennifer Egan (May 2011)
The Afghan Campaign, by Steven Pressfield (Apr 2011)
Stranger in a Strange Land, by Robert A. Heinlein (Mar 2011)
Flashman, by George MacDonald Fraser (Feb 2011)

Tragicomedy did a few book club threads too but he didn't do any poetry books.

ShaneB

Moving onto the sequel, bought the hardcover on sale. So wanted to give the first a 5/5, but I think I prefered 'The Art of Racing in the Rain' oh so slightly, still a wonderful book though.

Now reading...

A Dog's Journey: A Novel by W. Bruce Cameron
13167796.jpg

Jintor

Oooh, I'll throw it on mine, too. Been on a real true-crime kick recently, but almost all true-crime is single event only - I prefer "daily life" style stuff. "A year in..." sorta thing

fakefaker

Death of a Red Heroine by Xiaolong Qiu

It was good for a police procedural set in Shanghai in the 90s. I liked the different perspective, all the passages about food and tea, but I could do without all the poetry. I wonder if the other books in this series are better because this first one was a bit meandering in the middle.

I was looking at this last night after watching Young Detective Dee: Rise of the Sea Dragon as I wanted something to read like the movie. Thanks for posting the review!

ShaneB

Oooh, I'll throw it on mine, too. Been on a real true-crime kick recently, but almost all true-crime is single event only - I prefer "daily life" style stuff. "A year in..." sorta thing

Yeah, you've been all about the true crime, police procedural, crime fiction, etc etc, so I thought I'd point that out to you. Could be a hidden gem that I'd like as well.

Jintor

Yeah, you've been all about the true crime, police procedural, crime fiction, etc etc, so I thought I'd point that out to you. Could be a hidden gem that I'd like as well.

The funny thing is I haven't read that many, technically speaking. I read a lot of sample chapters and drop a lot before I actually buy the books

The final two hundred pages in Ways of King is some god-tier stuff. Words of Radiance is a kick-ass second installment.

How is this? It's been a long while since I touched a Hitchens book.

It is my first time to read him, but its as witty as he talks, very interesting and contains a lot of references to authors I haven't heard of, at least so far. I'd say give it a go and read it.

Wiktor

Finished:
halo-cryptum-a-saga-dos-forerunners-greg-bear-8576658674_200x200-PU6eb9bb4b_1.jpg

Mixed feelings. The setting is nice and it's written well, but the book is very passive, the lead just gets ferried around for a sight seeing tour. Will take a break before I start the next one

Started reading:
bk15sg_800x600-300x225.jpg

Very very nice so far. Love the series.

And I'm almost done with listening to
joyland.jpeg

It's slightly weird, because barely anything dramatic has happened up untill the point I've reached and yet I'm loving it. Really sells the whole amusement park life. The way King narrates is just plain wonderful and he got some truly remarkable lines there. Ones that made made me stop during walks and pause the file because I needed a moment to go "WOW"

Fxp

At_the_mountains_of_madness.jpg

Read it as a kid, that was some scary book back then. Still impressive, looked up images on Google to compare others "vision" and mine.

Next:
2940013718531_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

hEist

currently half into The Emperor of All Maladies

7170627.jpg

but need a break of it. So started yesterday Shift (Silo #2)
so far it's good.

17306293.jpg

btw. i need your help Book-GAF.
my girl friend is into the Jack Reacher Books and read them all. I'm not a huge fan of this books, but i need some recommendations for our vacations for her. Any suggestions? Already suggested the Bourne books, but she "knows" the movies and don't like them either (wtf...) Any suggestions are appreciated.

Wiktor

my girl friend is into the Jack Reacher Books and read them all. I'm not a huge fan of this books, but i need some recommendations for our vacations for her. Any suggestions? Already suggested the Bourne books, but she "knows" the movies and don't like them either (wtf...) Any suggestions are appreciated.

The whole Creasy series by A. J. Quinnell. Man on Fire movie was based on the first one, but there's a lot more and even that first entry is completely differnt in novel format aside from the very basic premise of a guy taking vengeance for a little girl dying.

From more recent books Mitch Rapp series by Vince Flynn is excellent too.

Too practical!

I actually don't have my library card for here in NYC. D:

I bet NYC library has a great ebook lending system. If you have a kindle, you should check it out.

I was looking at this last night after watching Young Detective Dee: Rise of the Sea Dragon as I wanted something to read like the movie. Thanks for posting the review!

Heh, the Inspector Chen series is a different time period (more modern day) and is not fantasy at all, but if you want to read something set in China, then go for it.

Jarlaxle

I'm reading Emperor of Thorns by Mark Lawrence.

I'm only 45 pages in so far. I'm enjoying this series but it's also not setting my world on fire. Reading at a very leisurely pace. I find it takes a little time to get into these books.

survivor

Banned
uZnMbc1.jpg
Wjt4wmW.jpg

Finished reading Delusions of Gender, very informative, lots of stuff I had no idea can affect how someone thinks or approaches career choices, hobbies, and so on. The test scores studies were pretty interesting, subtle changes to wording or environment can have a decent effect on the choices of people. It's also pretty depressing to read all these old statements from scientists about how women think or what they are capable of doing. Wonder how 100 years from now, how people will look at our current studies and conclusions regarding gender.

Also finished reading The Lifecycle of Software Objects. A pretty interesting story on how developing a human AI might look if we had the technology. The approach would be to raise virtual pets, but with infinite potential at growing from experience and learning from their environment. I liked some of the ideas explored, but ultimately the story never explored the concept in great enough details to connect with me on the same level as Asimov's short stories.

Fuck. Yeah. Awesome poetry: the scientific, with the philosophic, with the particular. Everything that is right with contemporary poetry.

If you liked that you may dig this:

9780393341140_198.jpg
Thanks, will add it to the backlog, been searching for some modern poetry.

Pau

I've started The Thirteenth Tale on a friend's recommendation but really disliking it. Really don't care about any of the characters and it feels like it's trying to be Rebecca and all mysterious but it really just comes off as trite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom