• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (June 2015)

Mumei

I went to a bookstore that sells used english books near where I live. The Clerk or Owner wasn't the most pleasant man I've met, but I went home with a book on my hand.

The store didn't have much selections on Murakami's works. It was between a short story collection and the After Dark. So, I went with the After Dark.

It's surprisingly short. I'm pretty much halfway through the book and I reckon I will be done with it by tomorrow. So far I like that he acknowledge the reader as passive viewer of the events happening in the book.

I haven't read After Dark, but even the book I'm reading about his work mentioned that it was one of his weaker efforts. Curious to see what you think.

Ashes

Banned
On the missus's recommendation:

41qXeFRnX5L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Which makes this seem like an odd switch to make. I hope it doesn't color my perception of it. Would be happy to hear any thoughts on the book from those that have read it.

I haven't read this, but I'm gonna read it sometime this year. I have read Capote's other famous book - Breakfast at Tiffany.

In that book, the prose is very clean and crisp. Do please comment on the prose if you get a chance. I'm personally a big fan of Capote's prose.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Have you read this old article? I thought it was really interesting, especially the bits about Dostoevsky in Russian and how Pevear & Volokhonsky translated him:
“And this is how people speak,” Volokhonsky said. “We mix metaphors, we stumble, we make mistakes.”

I struggle with this idea, from time to time, when analyzing dialogue in works of fiction. The conflict is something like this:

Unless you're a master orator, you will trip up in your every day speech. Really, it happens all the time. It might've been different in an age when being "educated" meant being well-spoken to the point of ostentation, but even then, I doubt people were as eloquent as history books make them out to be. Speech isn't edited in the same way writing is edited, so if your intent, as a writer, is to create convincing dialogue, then you need to make their speech sufficiently flawed.

On the other hand, I thought the dialogue in Their Eyes Were Watching God was insufferable and I couldn't make it very far in A Clockwork Orange before the pidgin language ground my mind into a smooth pink-grey smear. Many of my most cherished bits of prose come in the form of dialogue spoken by characters who are, rather than speaking from their own life experience, directly channeling the words and ideas of their creator.

The question is, then, how to find the balance between dialogue that is believable and dialogue that is memorable?

Thanks for the recommendation, duckroll -- I sat down and devoured this book in the span of a couple of hours.

I was enamored with this book for the first half. For the first couple of pages, I was trying to remember if Murakami's writing was always so clunky, or if it was just the translation. I felt a similar way when I started Norwegian Wood. Then, with a snap of the fingers -- and just like when I read Norwegian Wood -- I was completely engrossed in the wonderful bittersweet sense of Murakami's description, characters, and situations. It's not a rich style of writing, nor is it sparse, but it hits with an accuracy of feeling -- not with the razor-sharp precision of a writing genius, but with the deep, affective understanding of a quiet and reflective imagination. "When I opened my eyes, Shimamoto was still moving her fingers along her skirt. Somewhere deep inside my body I felt an exquisitely sweet ache." That was the sensation of reading this book. I enjoyed the observations on only children, music, business practices, and love -- love as pain, as the failure to understand, as hurting another person deeply and, perhaps, irreparably, sometimes by doing absolutely nothing. About an inauthentic life without ambition and without struggle.

Unfortunately, my admiration began to flag in the latter half, in which the main character Hajime begins to act selfishly without recourse. He reflects and recognizes, but never really self-interrogates or changes. The object of his obsession, Shimamoto, is not properly fleshed out, and so I came to sympathize with both characters less, unlike Naoko in Norwegian Wood, whose suffering I came to understand in her idiosyncrasies, interactions, and character moments. In that novel, I came to sympathize with Toru's flawed love for her. Here, there is only Murakami's failure to communicate what, exactly, makes Shimamoto such a special individual, beyond the traits she possessed in childhood. Hajime's willingness to throw away everything for her, then, gave rise to my personal frustration with his self-absorption and lack of moral responsibility. As "real" as it may have been for his character, this lack of self-interrogation poisoned the water and cheapened the other reflections in the novel. The tenderness, the "exquisite ache" present in the first half of the novel disappears in place of this immature, escapist romance.

Ultimately I'm glad I read this. The characters are not as fleshed out or memorable as in Norwegian Wood, and as a result the novel loses power in its payoff. Still, at this particular moment in my life, a lot of these themes spoke to me. I've only read three of his novels, but I wish that Murakami would take the next step as a writer and start complicating and interrogating these melancholy, navel-gazing protagonists of his. As sublime and empathetic a feeling they might be able to provide as narrators, they always feel limited in their worldview and their ability to break down the doors to something more meaningful, both for themselves and for the reader. Their listlessness feels representative of Murakami's lack of ambition as a writer, or his willingness to break past his comfortable (yet still wise and fascinating, to a point) range. I want to read an ambitious, self-interrogative novel from him.

I'm on to this next:

Dresden

IjlUstK.jpg

I've gotten a little into My Struggle Volume One By Karl Ove Knausgaard. I started it after reading his nytm travel story a few months ago (totally worth reading; highlights include: shoving his arm into a toilet to dislodge it of shit; ruminations on how different america is compared to his homeland; wow, Canadians are fat; obsessing about his failings as a human being; his family; history of ancestry in two countries; reconnecting with long lost relatives; snow; his quirky driver-slash-camera man; etc, etc), and yes, I don't read much because videogames, but anyways it's very and delightfully readable. Props to the translator, without whom this would be an unbearable mass of words delivered in the same format as a Brandon Sanderson series.

The book opens up ruminating on death and moves to his childhood, where he talks about a vision he sees on tv, and how the shock and fear of it never translated to his father. Karl Ove the author wants to chronicle it honestly, but finds it impossible due to distance, and often can't help but talk with the authority or exhaustion of age, and in doing so tells the story of that incident more through the eyes of his father than he himself as a child.

Oddly enough it reminded me of a passage in Never Let Me Go, where the narrator is speaking of a scene in her childhood, about herself as a child dancing to the song with a doll in her arms. She imagines that the doll is a child and she the mother, and while dancing sees an older woman watching her, weeping. We see the scene through the child's eyes, but empathy lies with the older woman, and the narrator, who has already framed her narrative as that of a telling - a story told about a past, and thus she knows what will happen to the child too - can't help but relay that incident with the emotions of the woman rather than the child.

kYLRcu3.jpg

Also got Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir, which seems to be one of those dystopian romance things that are so popular with the YA crossover audience, but instead of fighting against a vaguely 1984-ish regime they're instead fighting against a vaguely Roman empire that's called the 'Martial' Empire. It's written in terse 1st-person present tense like the Hunger Games, and of the two protagonists, neither one can be distinguished by voice alone. And of course, one's a girl and one's a boy and their romance is writ in the stars.

I'm about halfway through Clive Barker's Coldheart Canyon. It's taking its time getting anywhere story wise but Clive's writing has always worked for me so I don't care, good read so far.

Necrovex

I basically said that Sanderson's prose is pedestrian, and Dostoyevsky in translation isn't much better. If you're going to use those two writers as a high watermark, well...

That's kind of why I like Sanderson's proses. When it comes to my personal preference in literature, the elegant nature of a prose ranks really low. I rather have something too simplistic (Sanderson) than too complicated (Lolita). I've said this before but I enjoyed A Little Life writing style since it isn't as simplistic as Sanderson's writing but I'm not going to stop at a line and try to comprehend what I'm reading like I did with Lolita.

Akahige

Finished The Pillars of the Earth recently, great book, smart storytelling having most of the book set within city and towns very close together, it made a long epic book feel down to earth and easy to visualize. The world and characters were very well developed, sometimes it meanders too much.

Started reading The Scarlet Gospels today, I finished book one which is around 115 pages in, feels like the surface hasn't been touched at all yet within the world so I'm not sure how well it's going to finish in only 230 more pages, it doesn't read disjointed just small but I guess all that I've heard about it over the years left me expecting something on a bigger scale. The prologue was nuts, most disturbing thing Barker has written in years.

VanWinkle

I basically said that Sanderson's prose is pedestrian, and Dostoyevsky in translation isn't much better. If you're going to use those two writers as a high watermark, well...

I don't pretend to hold myself in high literary regard. I have no qualms with my preferences being seen as pedestrian by others who see themselves above this level of writing. I'm a fan of Sanderson's prose. I like that it flows well, and it allows me to read efficiently. The story is at the forefront, and the writing doesn't get in the way of that.

I'm not offended that you don't like it, and you certainly didn't need to edit your post out, but I don't think criticism of my preferences is necessary.

Ashes

Banned

Hard to talk about him when I don't understand Russian. But I'd not say I'd pick him out for his prose per say - translated or otherwise.

And not from that particular novel.

Having said this, his streams of conciousness stuff is, for me personally, right up there with the best.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
IjlUstK.jpg

I've gotten a little into My Struggle Volume One By Karl Ove Knausgaard. I started it after reading his nytm travel story a few months ago (totally worth reading; highlights include: shoving his arm into a toilet to dislodge it of shit; ruminations on how different america is compared to his homeland; wow, Canadians are fat; obsessing about his failings as a human being; his family; history of ancestry in two countries; reconnecting with long lost relatives; snow; his quirky driver-slash-camera man; etc, etc), and yes, I don't read much because videogames, but anyways it's very and delightfully readable. Props to the translator, without whom this would be an unbearable mass of words delivered in the same format as a Brandon Sanderson series.

The book opens up ruminating on death and moves to his childhood, where he talks about a vision he sees on tv, and how the shock and fear of it never translated to his father. Karl Ove the author wants to chronicle it honestly, but finds it impossible due to distance, and often can't help but talk with the authority or exhaustion of age, and in doing so tells the story of that incident more through the eyes of his father than he himself as a child.

Oddly enough it reminded me of a passage in Never Let Me Go, where the narrator is speaking of a scene in her childhood, about herself as a child dancing to the song with a doll in her arms. She imagines that the doll is a child and she the mother, and while dancing sees an older woman watching her, weeping. We see the scene through the child's eyes, but empathy lies with the older woman, and the narrator, who has already framed her narrative as that of a telling - a story told about a past, and thus she knows what will happen to the child too - can't help but relay that incident with the emotions of the woman rather than the child.

Where are you from, Dresden. As a Norwegian, it's weird seeing Karl Ove Knausgård being mentioned in this thread, though I've heard he has gotten a little bit of attention also in the United States recently? I've read all six volumes of "Min Kamp", and two of his earlier works, big big fan of his.

Same as last month, on account of not actually being able to read due to studying for the LSAT.

1aGcklJ.jpg

soon to be followed by The Rebel.

Haly

I was looking through my kindle purchase history and I kind of blame Mumei and Dresden for turning me into the "no fun allowed" monster I am today.

I used to be a swords and sorcery guy. I mean, I had taste, of course. I never read Goodkind and never really liked Rothfuss; but my purchase history was stuff like Game of Thrones and Iron Druid Chronicles (dropped this out of boredom by the third book), The Immortals, Bas-lag, The Company, Temeraire, Wool, Discworld...

Then this happened:

A Wizard of Earthsea (The Earthsea Cycle Series Book 1) Ursula K. Le Guin March 17,2013

The Tombs of Atuan (The Earthsea Cycle Series Book 2) Le Guin March 17,2013

The Farthest Shore (The Earthsea Cycle Series Book 3) Le Guin March 17,2013

Tehanu: Book Four (The Earthsea Cycle Series 4) Le Guin March 17,2013

The Other Wind (The Earthsea Cycle Series Book 6) Le Guin March 23,2013

Tales from Earthsea (The Earthsea Cycle Series Book 5) Le Guin March 24,2013

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Trilogy Bundle: The Girl with.. Stieg Larsson March 28,2013

Brokeback Mountain: Now a Major Motion Picture Annie Proulx April 4,2013

Soldier of the Mist Gene Wolfe April 6,2013

Shadow & Claw: The First Half of 'The Book of the New Sun' Gene Wolfe April 18,2013

Sword & Citadel: The Second Half of 'The Book of the New.. Gene Wolfe June 2,2013

The Urth of the New Sun: The sequel to 'The Book of the New.. Gene Wolfe June 14,2013

Nightside The Long Sun (Book of the Long Sun) Gene Wolfe June 14,2013

And from there it was all ogre:

Romance of the Three Kingdoms (with footnotes and maps).. Luo Guanzhong August 21,2013

If on a winter's night a traveler Italo Calvino August 24,2013

Two Boys Kissing David Levithan August 27,2013

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe Benjamin Alire Saenz August 31,2013

Bel Canto Ann Patchett September 4,2013

Crime and Punishment (Vintage Classics) Fyodor Dostoevsky September 8,2013

Pride and Prejudice (Illustrated) Jane Austen September 29,2013

The Count of Monte Cristo (Illustrated) Alexandre Dumas October 4,2013

Don Quixote Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra November 5,2013

The Art of War Sunzi December 4,2013

I rallied for a bit, remembered what it was like to be human:

Leviathan Wakes (The Expanse Book 1) James S.A. Corey February 11,2014

Caliban's War (The Expanse Book 2) James S.A. Corey February 14,2014

Abaddon's Gate (The Expanse Book 3) James S.A. Corey February 20,2014

But it was not to last:

The King in Yellow Robert W. (Robert William) Chambers February 21,2014

Blindness (Harvest Book) José Saramago February 28,2014

Between Here and the Yellow Sea Nic Pizzolatto March 12,2014

Kalpa Imperial: The Greatest Empire That Never Was Ursula K. Le Guin Angélica Gorodischer March 21,2014

Making of the Atomic Bomb Richard Rhodes March 28,2014

Part the Hawser, Limn the Sea Dan Lopez May 8,2014

Les Miserables (Word Cloud Classics) Victor Hugo May 10,2014

Oh I guess Cyan also takes some blame for it with his "book clubs".

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Sun Tzu's The Art of War bought a few months after the release of Europa Universalis IV

O.DOGG

I've been reading the Witcher books since the game came out. Finished The Last Wish, The Sword of Destiny, Blood of Elves, and today I started Time of Contempt.

Dresden

Where are you from, Dresden. As a Norwegian, it's weird seeing Karl Ove Knausgård being mentioned in this thread, though I've heard he has gotten a little bit of attention also in the United States recently? I've read all six volumes of "Min Kamp", and two of his earlier works, big big fan of his.

US, and it's probably more than a little bit of attention - sensation I guess? I'm certainly late to the party.

I used to be a swords and sorcery guy. I mean, I had taste, of course. I never read Goodkind and never really liked Rothfuss; but my purchase history was stuff like Game of Thrones and Iron Druid Chronicles (dropped this out of boredom by the third book), The Immortals, Bas-lag, The Company, Temeraire, Wool, Discworld...

there's only one way out: join the dystopian YA revolution.

Haly

There's only one way out: join the dystopian YA revolution.
Way ahead of you there.

The Hunger Games (Hunger Games Trilogy, Book 1) Suzanne Collins June 7,2011

Catching Fire (Hunger Games Trilogy, Book 2) Suzanne Collins June 8,2011

Mockingjay (Hunger Games Trilogy, Book 3) Suzanne Collins June 8,2011

Sun Tzu's The Art of War bought a few months after the release of Europa Universalis IV
I'll be honest. I developed a kind of fascination with the Mongol empire after playing EU4, and that was also why I picked up these two books at the same time:

The Art of War Sunzi December 4,2013

The Mongol Art of War Timothy May December 4,2013
In a moment of supreme nerdery, I considered how I could apply Art of War to my single player EU4 campaigns.

I'm just wrapping up Part 1 of The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. It's quite hard to judge it completely knowing that technically its just half of what is meant to be one big book, but I've really enjoyed it so far.

Once it's done I'm going to read The Shock Doctrine before I move onto The Way of Kings Part 2.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
US, and it's probably more than a little bit of attention - sensation I guess? I'm certainly late to the party.

wow! let's hope he's the spearhead Norwegian litterature needs to break into the bankgreat American market. Soon you all be walking around with your pocket editions of Dag Solstad, Kjartan Fløgstad, Stig Sæterbakken etc etc etc. It's about time. We haven't really had an international literary superstar since.. Knut Hamsun, I guess? :p

I'll be honest. I developed a kind of fascination with the Mongol empire after playing EU4, and that was also why I picked up these two books at the same time:

In a moment of supreme nerdery, I considered how I could apply Art of War to my single player EU4 campaigns.

:D Machiavelli is probably better suited for our MP sessions honestly

Haly

:D Machiavelli is probably better suited for our MP sessions honestly

I have How to Win Friends and Influence People on the backlog. So, one day, whenever I finish reading about the squeezing of sperm from whale... heads, I'll learn what diplomacy is.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I have How to Win Friends and Influence People on the backlog. So, one day, whenever I finish reading about the squeezing of sperm from whale... heads, I'll learn what diplomacy is.

It's much the same really

I feel like I should give Dostoievski another chance. Granted I read the Spanish translation, which is not as smooth and reader-friendly as English translations usually are (I always get a laugh comparing Italian Opera to its translation in English) and now that I know more about the author I could have a better understanding of his work.

kmax

Sword_of_Destiny_UK.jpg

Jumping straight to this one after finishing The Last Wish. Great stuff so far. Geralt is one smooth bastard.

Peru

Still haven't got round to my compatriot Knausgård - partly because I still feel like I get enough of him through the media coverage (and recently opinion pieces). I will do the first book at least.

Siegcram

After long neglecting the author as a whole and later on making the mistake of reading the horrible german translation, I've finally started to read Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides.
url

I'm halfway through Book 2 so far and it is living up to its considerable praise. Though I get the feeling the story might not be as focused as it could have been, it hits a variety of themes I'm deeply interested in, like fugitives, gender and different concepts of familial structure. An enjoyable read, with a congenial narrator, toing the line between humor, depression and education. Bumped up the Virgin Suicides considerably in my reading list.

Gnome

The Bartimaeus Trilogy.

My brother has been telling me to read them for the last 5 or 6 years. I'm now a quarter through the second book; it's above average YA fiction.

Bought all the Witcher books so I've started them. Well, I have up to Baptism of Fire cause the rest aren't published yet. I know there are fan translations.

Just started The Last Wish. Enjoying it so far. I'm not imagining Geralt as the one from the game for some reason. Maybe once I get more into it.

Apart from those books I've got into comics recently. Bought some by Gerard Way. Didn't enjoy the Killjoys but loved The Umbrella Academy. Gonna pick up some Batman, Watchmen, Scott Pilgrim soon.

thomaser

Still reading George Eliot's "Middlemarch". Nearing the end now after getting quality reading time on some flights last week.

Mumei

I struggle with this idea, from time to time, when analyzing dialogue in works of fiction. The conflict is something like this:

Unless you're a master orator, you will trip up in your every day speech. Really, it happens all the time. It might've been different in an age when being "educated" meant being well-spoken to the point of ostentation, but even then, I doubt people were as eloquent as history books make them out to be. Speech isn't edited in the same way writing is edited, so if your intent, as a writer, is to create convincing dialogue, then you need to make their speech sufficiently flawed.

On the other hand, I thought the dialogue in Their Eyes Were Watching God was insufferable and I couldn't make it very far in A Clockwork Orange before the pidgin language ground my mind into a smooth pink-grey smear. Many of my most cherished bits of prose come in the form of dialogue spoken by characters who are, rather than speaking from their own life experience, directly channeling the words and ideas of their creator.

The question is, then, how to find the balance between dialogue that is believable and dialogue that is memorable?

I'm not sure. I have not read a lot of fiction that attempts to capture the vagaries of everyday speech, but I suspect that the result would be something more artful than clear. When I speak off the cuff, I might get sidetracked, or have multiple digressions, or stop sentences halfway through as I rethink what I am going to say - and yet you would be able to follow along just fine. But in written form, that would be irritating to read. So, I think that even though ordinary speech is often flawed, we don't actually experience it as flawed - and would only notice it as flawed if we see it written out.

And I have occasionally transcribed for myself or for someone else - a short selection of an audio interview that had some element I wanted them to hear. And it's entirely possible for people to speak articulately and cogently off the cuff, in a way that reads smoothly when written out. I feel like most dialogue in fiction is sort of a slightly elevated form of that sort of articulateness, and most of the time I find it believable because my experience of ordinary speech and my experience of written speech are fairly similar, even if they aren't. I think that perhaps paradoxically it would almost feel less like real speech to me because I would experience it differently than I do actual speech.

I was looking through my kindle purchase history and I kind of blame Mumei and Dresden for turning me into the "no fun allowed" monster I am today.

Oh I guess Cyan also takes some blame for it with his "book clubs".

In some cases, Cyan and I both get credit!

Though I would like to point out that I read plenty of "lowbrow" literature. I read the second half of The Wheel of Time just this year!

Think I'm going to start A Little Life. I could use a good disillusionment of humanity. And a good cry. That too.

<3

Looking forward to hearing more!

wow! let's hope he's the spearhead Norwegian litterature needs to break into the bankgreat American market. Soon you all be walking around with your pocket editions of Dag Solstad, Kjartan Fløgstad, Stig Sæterbakken etc etc etc. It's about time. We haven't really had an international literary superstar since.. Knut Hamsun, I guess? :p

I'm not sure if he's doing well in sales (or if he is, by what metric), but just having flipped through the first few pages of reviews in the editions I've looked at, it's certainly a critical sensation.

Interesting. I'll give them a try. To be fair to Dostoevsky, I've only read him via Garnett...

I hope you like it!

I don't pretend to hold myself in high literary regard. I have no qualms with my preferences being seen as pedestrian by others who see themselves above this level of writing. I'm a fan of Sanderson's prose. I like that it flows well, and it allows me to read efficiently. The story is at the forefront, and the writing doesn't get in the way of that.

I'm not offended that you don't like it, and you certainly didn't need to edit your post out, but I don't think criticism of my preferences is necessary.

Well, that's why I deleted it originally. :) I'm really not a snob. My preference is for more complex prose, but I certainly enjoy stuff that is straightforward as well. In fact, I'm amazed when something is considered 'literary' but uses fairly simplistic prose to still weave what adds up to more than the sum of its parts. And I've been known to read the occasional fantasy and sci-fi, most of which is not challenging.

It's all good. And I'm not above you by any means.

Apt101

Well, that's why I deleted it originally. :) I'm really not a snob. My preference is for more complex prose, but I certainly enjoy stuff that is straightforward as well. In fact, I'm amazed when something is considered 'literary' but uses fairly simplistic prose to still weave what adds up to more than the sum of its parts. And I've been known to read the occasional fantasy and sci-fi, most of which is not challenging.

It's all good. And I'm not above you by any means.

Hemingway is about as simplistic as good writing gets and he is a legend. It isn't always about novel prose or complex writing.

Haly

(And of course, seeing this makes it pretty obvious exactly why Gamergaters and Sad Puppies hated this book so much.)

Didn't know this, but I'm not surprised.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Finally got around to reading Ancillary Justice, after hearing about how great it was for the last year or more.

Surprise! It is, in fact, pretty great.

The first half or two thirds or so of the story is a split narrative. We start twenty years in the past, when our protagonist is a powerful AI controlling a spaceship, who also directly controls a number of human soldiers (bodies, really) called "ancillaries." And then every other chapter is in the present, when our protagonist has been reduced from her former greatness as a starship to residing in the single remaining one of her ancillaries. The story of what she's trying to do now is wonderfully interwoven with the past story explaining how she got where she is today. Notably, the perspective of a powerful AI with multiple viewpoints and doing many things at once is nicely handled--you're always reminded of what the AI really is, but never overwhelmed.

The author does some other interesting things with the AI's perspective, most notably the fact that she's really bad at distinguishing between human genders and mostly doesn't bother, just generically referring to everyone as "her." This isn't as smooth as the multitasking aspect of her perspective--in fact it's quite jarring, especially at the points where we figure out a character's real gender from the other characters or from in-story cues, and then have to reimagine those characters. On the other hand, that's exactly the point, and it does make you think about things. (And of course, seeing this makes it pretty obvious exactly why Gamergaters and Sad Puppies hated this book so much.)

As far as the story itself, it's a compelling one. The narrative isn't action-packed, but it does pull you through and keep you turning the pages. There's enough going on, and enough twists and turns, to be quite satisfying. (There are a few things I wish the author had done slightly differently in the end to maximize reader satisfaction and minimize confusion, but hey, debut novel.) Overall, good stuff.

Now, go read Ancillary Mercy, I thought it was a much stronger novel than AJ (if not as surprising.)

TTG

Finally got around to reading Ancillary Justice, after hearing about how great it was for the last year or more....Overall, good stuff.

But, are you going to read the next one? Because that's where I find myself. It's just sort of ok and interesting enough to not quit on. The novelty for me was multiple instances of the same mind, however you want to define that, but it went mostly nowhere. The conventional sci fi move is to take an idea like that and tie it to some classic philosophical themes, amounting to an interesting meditation folded into the narrative.

So, it's pretty good and it's not creatively bankrupt like Revelation Space or something. I suppose I'll wait until I've run out of ideas for what to read next and come back to the series.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
r u from the future m8

Whoooooops. Meant Ancillary Sword.

But, are you going to read the next one? Because that's where I find myself. It's just sort of ok and interesting enough to not quit on. The novelty for me was multiple instances of the same mind, however you want to define that, but it went mostly nowhere. The conventional sci fi move is to take an idea like that and tie it to some classic philosophical themes, amounting to an interesting meditation folded into the narrative.

So, it's pretty good and it's not creatively bankrupt like Revelation Space or something. I suppose I'll wait until I've run out of ideas for what to read next and come back to the series.

I plan to! I thought the plot was interesting enough that I want to carry on, in particular with where it left off at the end.

AS is a very, very different novel from AJ.

Haly

Don't lie to us aiden, I know you have a draft of Ancillary Mercy.

&#3900; &#12388; &#9685;_&#9685; &#3901;&#12388; Give MERCY &#3900; &#12388; &#9685;_&#9685; &#3901;&#12388;

Matty77

Finally got around to reading Ancillary Justice, after hearing about how great it was for the last year or more.

Surprise! It is, in fact, pretty great.

The first half or two thirds or so of the story is a split narrative. We start twenty years in the past, when our protagonist is a powerful AI controlling a spaceship, who also directly controls a number of human soldiers (bodies, really) called "ancillaries." And then every other chapter is in the present, when our protagonist has been reduced from her former greatness as a starship to residing in the single remaining one of her ancillaries. The story of what she's trying to do now is wonderfully interwoven with the past story explaining how she got where she is today. Notably, the perspective of a powerful AI with multiple viewpoints and doing many things at once is nicely handled--you're always reminded of what the AI really is, but never overwhelmed.

The author does some other interesting things with the AI's perspective, most notably the fact that she's really bad at distinguishing between human genders and mostly doesn't bother, just generically referring to everyone as "her." This isn't as smooth as the multitasking aspect of her perspective--in fact it's quite jarring, especially at the points where we figure out a character's real gender from the other characters or from in-story cues, and then have to reimagine those characters. On the other hand, that's exactly the point, and it does make you think about things. (And of course, seeing this makes it pretty obvious exactly why Gamergaters and Sad Puppies hated this book so much.)

As far as the story itself, it's a compelling one. The narrative isn't action-packed, but it does pull you through and keep you turning the pages. There's enough going on, and enough twists and turns, to be quite satisfying. (There are a few things I wish the author had done slightly differently in the end to maximize reader satisfaction and minimize confusion, but hey, debut novel.) Overall, good stuff.
Who is the author? That sounds like something I would be really interested in.

Haly

Ann Leckie, she's a newcomer to sci-fi.
She is known principally for her 2013 debut novel Ancillary Justice, which won the 2014 Hugo Award for Best Novel[3][4] as well as the Nebula Award,[5] the Arthur C. Clarke Award,[6] and the BSFA Award.[7]

What a sweep. Winning all those awards with a debut novel.

Top Bottom