• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (March 2011)

Yasser

still making my way through money by martin amis and still thoroughly enjoying it but have also started "when you are engulfed in flames" by david sedaris. not great but certainly a lot more commute-friendly than amis for me, in fact i should be done with it by the end of week and then i'll concentrate on money or start volume 1 of the paris review interviews

hiryu

HiroProtagonist said:
51FKUEeqMhL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

10th and final book! I haven't been this excited in probably a decade.

51DUM%2BeQbbL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Best new fantasy out. Amazing. If you haven't read The Name of the Wind, you must.

Best release day ever. I'm seriously geeking out right now.

Edit: I'm(?)

I just got both today too. Which should I read first? I'm thinking Erikson since it ends the series.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Currently reading The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. Everywhere I read suggested reading these short stories first even though they come later in the time-line. I've always liked Sherlock Holmes and I'm really enjoying them so far, though from a modern readers perspective the casual mention of cocaine abuse is a little bizarre. It's just something Sherlock and Watson bicker about from time to time. These days if someone wrote a character who abused drugs it would take up the whole of their character and be a major plot point. I can't imagine anyone writing about it casually. It makes me wonder what sort of things people write about today that will be considered strange in a hundred years time.

Burger

51H%2BdNOvVrL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Supposed to be totally average, but I'm a sucker for disaster flicks, and I thought Waterworld was alright :(

51DE7TJXVGL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Second time through this. Rereading the whole series in hopes that Dance is coming soon.

250px-Longroad1.jpg

Going through the DT trades at the moment. Pretty decent.

DanDeschain said:
Second time through this. Rereading the whole series in hopes that Dance is coming soon.

I imagine his series will air on HBO, the books will all jump back up to the top 10, and suddenly Dragons will be done just in time to take advantage of his new expanded audience. It seems like a smart move, but it's still shitty for those of us who have been waiting forever. I guess we'll know soon enough.

I'm still suffering through the last 150 pages or so of this beast.
51bd-liy9GL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

It comes so highly regarded, but I can't really understand why. It's like a Jane Austen novel but without any of the legitimate historical value. It's chock full of manners and customs of the period, but very little actual substance.

This is my fourth attempt at it and I'm determined to finally make it through, but I'm starting to get impatient. I wanna read that new Rothfuss joint. I know it's tropey and stereotypical but at least dude writes good prose.

justin.au

Browsing the TV section at my uni's library and found this beast:

uNFNU.jpg

One of the best TV shows of the last decade. I really love the section "Malcolm's Sent Items".

Lissar

Reluctant Member
MacGurcules said:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images...ow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
It comes so highly regarded, but I can't really understand why. It's like a Jane Austen novel without any of the legitimate historical reference. It's chock full of manners and customs of the period, but very little actual substance.

This is my fourth attempt at it and I'm determined to finally make it through, but I'm starting to get impatient. I wanna read that new Rothfuss joint. I know it's tropey and stereotypical but at least dude writes good prose.

I can feel your pain with this one. Though I honestly thought it would have been a good book if she had cut out about half the pages. She just went on too long on really useless details that didn't forward the plot or characters in the slightest. Some authors really need a lesson in brevity. It took me several sessions spread out over half a year to finally finish it. It is interesting that the book comes so highly praised, as I've never met a person who enjoys it. Most people I meet say "This is a book that I wanted to love but I just couldn't quite do it..."

Brainboy

GEB.jpg

Gödel, Escher, Bach by Douglas Hofstadter. It's quite long and quite dense at times, but I'm really enjoying it nonetheless. I've had it on my shelf for years - I'm not sure what prompted me to finally start reading it properly, but I'm glad I did! I would recommend it to anyone who is even remotely interested in Gödel's theories (although, as the title suggests, it's not only about that!).

After this heavy dose of non-fiction, I'll probably get The Wise Man's Fear. I absolutely loved The Name of the Wind when I read it last winter, after all.

thomaser

MacGurcules said:
51bd-liy9GL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

It comes so highly regarded, but I can't really understand why. It's like a Jane Austen novel but without any of the legitimate historical value. It's chock full of manners and customs of the period, but very little actual substance.

If it's any consolation, I thought the last 1-200 pages were by far the best parts of the book.

I Am Now

Banned
Zwei said:
I'm reading this once again. I read TGG is high school of course, but I don't think I was able to appreciate it back then..
Excellent choice, my friend.

I just finished Soulforge and Brothers in Arms so I'm gonna re read the Dragonlance Chronicles:
dragons_of_autumn_twilight__frontcover_large_53wdn9q3V6fHZBs.jpg

HiroProtagonist said:
51FKUEeqMhL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

10th and final book! I haven't been this excited in probably a decade.

Best release day ever. I'm seriously geeking out right now.

Edit: I'm(?)

Tell me more about this.

I've already bought A Wise Man's Fear and am currently reading it.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Wow, it's been years since I read any Dragonlance. I used to collect the series between the ages of 12-14. I didn't read them anymore after that, until I was 18 and feeling nostalgic. I didn't read the original trilogy which I hear isn't so bad, just one of the other trilogies... I think having to do with elves, I can't remember specifically which one. It was so badly written, my memories were forever tarnished. Not only was the writing bad, but the plotting was terrible. Plot points that they'd bring up which would suddenly disappear into the ether. The experience has made me very wary about which books I decide to re-read.

thomaser said:
If it's any consolation, I thought the last 1-200 pages were by far the best parts of the book.
I'm kinda feeling that. In general, it seems to gradually increase in quality as you go. Unfortunately, it seems to be on track to follow this curve.

js%2Bmn.gif

Dresden

Finished Flashman and the Angel of the Lord, Flashman and the Mountain of Light, and Flashman and the Dragon recently.

I really am Flashman'd out--I want to read The Great Game but that's about it. Really am going to take a break from Flashman and just start this:

The%2B900%2BDays.jpg

I'm reading a couple of good books at the moment. The first is about British Hong Kong and its handover to China in 1997:
2uscq6g.jpg

The second book is about a British journalist living in Buenos Aires during 1993-1996:
5djrkh.jpg

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Ruthless: An Extreme Shock Horror Collection (An Anthology)
5197TsrKwsL._SS500_.jpg

I started reading this little collection right here. The first story seems pretty decent so far.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
crowphoenix said:
Yup. Still reading through this. I have to say, this has one of the worst beginnings I've ever read, but holy shit is the book fantastic.
yeah, super slow and plodding at the beginning, but it's picking up now.

phage

Neo Member
I'm actually reading SIASL right now (just reached the midpoint of the story). What a coincidence.

This is what I read before that. I thought it was brilliant:

oryx-and-crake-22.jpg

Fjordson

I finished The Big Sleep a few days ago. Very good stuff, but I was ready to get back into some sci-fi:

qs2q7k.jpg

I bought this years ago and got maybe 80 pages in, but never ended up getting too far into it. I honestly can't remember why I got bored of it, seems crazy now. After dusting it off yesterday and starting over from the beginning I'm already 230 pages in. I love the Canterbury Tales style with all of the individual stories and the mystery of the Shrike and the Time Tombs is fascinating to me. I also like the backdrop that the Hegemony provides. I already have The Fall of Hyperion on my Kindle since I know I'll be tearing through this fairly quickly.

Dresden

MacGurcules said:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51bd-liy9GL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg[/IMG]

I thought it was boring. Just dump it. Anything that takes four tries to read probably isn't worth your time.

Vard

Finished re-reading Sputnik Sweetheart. So sad.

Next I'm looking forward to picking up where I left off in The Long Ships, finally.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
62570375.JPG

Adam Smith is about the epitome of bland academic style, so it can get quite boring in places (I don't particularly care about the state of agriculture in 18th century England), but it can be very interesting at times to witness the foundation being laid of modern economic thought.

Salazar

Mgoblue201 said:
Adam Smith is about the epitome of bland academic style, so it can get quite boring in places

He didn't impress as a conversationalist, either. There are some snarky comments early on in Boswell's Life of Johnson.

phage said:
I'm actually reading SIASL right now (just reached the midpoint of the story). What a coincidence.

This is what I read before that. I thought it was brilliant:

oryx-and-crake-22.jpg
Are you gonna read The Year of the Flood? Its good. Not so much a sequel to Oryx and Crake but the stories are kind of intertwined. You'll notice a few nods to Oryx and Crake if you pay attention.

Hari Seldon

Crovax33 said:
I'm about 50% through the Count of Monte Cristo on my Kindle. It's damn good, but super time intensive. My gf said that from 50% to 75% of the way through it is the best part, so I'm excited.

Best book I ever read. I got the Audible version which was outstanding.

BigNastyCurve said:
Tell me more about this.

I've already bought A Wise Man's Fear and am currently reading it.

This is the tenth book of the "Malazan Book of the Fallen" series written by the Canadian Elf Steven Erikson. It's epic, (legit epic, not internet-era epic) dark, high fantasy with a few *cough*hundred*cough* characters including: gods, demons, multiple races(Non-Tolkien), mages, dragons, and assassins - all strewn across multiple continents.

Some people love it, and some can't get past the first book - Gardens of the Moon. I don't really remember much of Gardens, but obviously I enjoyed it enough to move on, and 9,500 pages later here I am at the last. I've read a lot of fantasy, not everything - but I'm trying (well, the good stuff atleast), and I'm putting this series first on my long list of favorites. Suck it GRRM! Put down the pizza and suck it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malazan_Book_of_the_Fallen

Gardens of the Moon (1999)
Three_Gardens_of_the_Moon.jpg

Deadhouse Gates (2000)
Deadhouse_Gates.jpg

Memories of Ice (2001)
Memories_of_Ice.jpg

House of Chains (2002)
House_of_Chains.jpg

Midnight Tides (2004)
Midnight_Tides.jpg

The Bonehunters (2006)
The_Bonehunters_1st_ed.jpg

Reaper's Gale (2007)
Reaper%27s_Gale.jpg

Toll the Hounds (2008)
Tollthehounds.jpeg

Dust of Dreams (2009)
DustofDreams_cover.jpg

The Crippled God (2011)
TheCrippledGod.jpg

Goody

Well, in the last few days I finished The Sheltering Sky, which I really got to loving in the second half, and started and finished One Foot in Eden by Ron Rash. It's a fantastic book if you like contemporary Southern fiction.

I haven't decided what to read next. Might be another Southern novel or I may continue brushing up on my required reading. I'm on my way towards an Education degree and am not as well read in High School reading lists as I'd like to be.

So, GAF, what were some of your favorite books from your required reading lists?

Kawl_USC

Esnel Pla said:
Well, in the last few days I finished The Sheltering Sky, which I really got to loving in the second half, and started and finished One Foot in Eden by Ron Rash. It's a fantastic book if you like contemporary Southern fiction.

I haven't decided what to read next. Might be another Southern novel or I may continue brushing up on my required reading. I'm on my way towards an Education degree and am not as well read in High School reading lists as I'd like to be.

So, GAF, what were some of your favorite books from your required reading lists?

Slaughterhouse 5 - Vonnegut
Fahrenheit 451 - Bradbury
To Kill a Mockingbird - Lee
The Poisonwood Bible - Kingsolver

To name a few. I'm sure there are some more favorites that I had to read during high school but these few stick out. I know many people here really dig some Austen and Bronte so they are probably good places to hit up if you haven't read them extensively. I know Crime and Punishment used to be the staple book for 12th grade English and most people find it wonderful.

As for what I'm reading, I'm absolutely thrilled to be reading The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss like many others in the thread. I'm finding it to be just as enjoyable as the first was when I read it two years ago, although I am a little hazy on the specific details from The Name of the Wind. I am enjoying it immensely regarldless.

Also thinking about reading the book club book, but with three exams and a problem set due before Friday and then Spring Break arriving, I don't know if I will have the time to read that in addition to Wise Man's Fear.

finowns

51ZQ%2BYN6EyL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The sequel was good. Liked the Name of the Wind better though.

Being really picky: I was disappointed about a huge scene that Rothfuss just kind of ignores
Kvothe on trial.

Some of the conversations were a little wonky for example the man-mother argument and Denna interactions
Surprisingly there is little to no relationship development between them. Denna chapters are very repetitive covering the same ground we have read before over and over again.

Interesting Theories:

Lady Lockless (sp?) being Kvothes Aunt. His mother being the elder sister who ran off with the Ruh.
Ambrose becoming the King Kvothe Killed.

Wes

venison crêpe
51N7pu5yGVL._SS500_.jpg

Brought on a whim. Only just started. Not much in the way of development going on but it's quirky.

Pollux

Just finished The Wise Man's Fear, and i'm afraid that I'm going to have to wait another 3 years to find out what happens to Kvothe next. Good news is that Pat Rothfuss is having a book signing here in Boston in 2 weeks so I can ask him if he plans on trying to get that book written any faster. I just need to know what happens next lol.

Monocle

Monocle said:
http://i.imgur.com/Wrosp.jpg
Not my picture.
Smoke and Mirrors: Short Fictions and Illusions by Neil Gaiman (Thanks to GAF. People in the Gaiman thread were talking about how Murder Mysteries is the best short story he's written. I hadn't read it so I grabbed the book you see above.)
Update: Murder Mysteries was fantastic. Reminded me why I love Sandman so much. Anyone who's on the fence should absolutely pick up Smoke and Mirrors.

eznark

Banned
zmoney said:
Just finished The Wise Man's Fear, and i'm afraid that I'm going to have to wait another 3 years to find out what happens to Kvothe next. Good news is that Pat Rothfuss is having a book signing here in Boston in 2 weeks so I can ask him if he plans on trying to get that book written any faster. I just need to know what happens next lol.

Great idea, I'm sure you'll be the first to ask. Get that "areyoydoneyetareyoudoneyetareyoudoneyet" ball rolling. Authors love that.

Top Bottom