• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (March 2011)

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished the four books of Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun. I'm still trying to think over and digest what I just read. What a series.

tn1000x700-AD%20March%202011.jpg

bengraven

Starship Troopers - I'm eating up BSG right now, so I'm finding myself wanting similar works. I created a thread and got some great suggestions of further reading and for now I'm going to finish this and move on to the Honor Harrington novels.

Catching Fire - Been reading the Hunger Games. They're straight up Battle Royale with an American teenage angle and a good dystopian future so I can't stop reading. I enjoy the books, though they're dreeeearily Twilight-ish with a very, very melodramatic female lead occasionally and a tired, but better than Twilight love triangle.

The Acts of King Arthur and His Noble Knights - I never realized Steinbeck wrote this, but based on a GAFfer's recommendation I picked it up on Amazon. I'm currently writing a dystopian Camelot novel, so the last two books here have been valuable.

Danielsan

xsSSY.jpg

daytripper
It may not quite fit the thread seeing as it is a comic, but my god what an amazing book. Started today and I'm about halfway through. It's so well written and the art and colouring are gorgeous.

bengraven

No worries man, there's always a few people reading comics in these threads. Some people only read comics and post them in this thread. :p

Danielsan

bengraven said:
No worries man, there's always a few people reading comics in these threads. Some people only read comics and post them in this thread. :p
I'm not a huge comic man myself, but this one is something else. I'd call it a work of art.

Esnel Pla said:
Well, in the last few days I finished The Sheltering Sky, which I really got to loving in the second half, and started and finished One Foot in Eden by Ron Rash. It's a fantastic book if you like contemporary Southern fiction.

I haven't decided what to read next. Might be another Southern novel or I may continue brushing up on my required reading. I'm on my way towards an Education degree and am not as well read in High School reading lists as I'd like to be.

So, GAF, what were some of your favorite books from your required reading lists?
Probably my favorite required book I read in school was Brave New World. Scifi was my favorite genre as I was growing up so stuff like BNW, Farenheit 451, and 1984 really appealed to me. Of course, the overarching themes of unjust authoritarianism rather appealed to my inner surly teen rebel.

It took me a while to have appreciation for the more historical stuff but now I count To Kill a Mockingbird and Crime and Punishment among books I enjoyed.

I still don't see what the fuss is over The Catcher in the Rye and The Great Gatsby. I didn't like them then and I don't like them now. Unlikeable, unrelatable protagonists with nonsensical conflicts.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
New Stephen King book announced, due out in November of this year. Sounds interesting:

On November 22, 1963, three shots rang out in Dallas,
President Kennedy died, and the world changed.

If you had the chance to change history, would you?

Would the consequences be worth it?

Jake Epping is a thirty-five-year-old high school English teacher in Lisbon Falls, Maine, who makes extra money teaching adults in the GED program. He receives an essay from one of the students—a gruesome, harrowing first person story about the night 50 years ago when Harry Dunning’s father came home and killed his mother, his sister, and his brother with a hammer. Harry escaped with a smashed leg, as evidenced by his crooked walk.

Not much later, Jake’s friend Al, who runs the local diner, divulges a secret: his storeroom is a portal to 1958. He enlists Jake on an insane—and insanely possible—mission to try to prevent the Kennedy assassination. So begins Jake’s new life as George Amberson and his new world of Elvis and JFK, of big American cars and sock hops, of a troubled loner named Lee Harvey Oswald and a beautiful high school librarian named Sadie Dunhill, who becomes the love of Jake’s life—a life that transgresses all the normal rules of time.

bengraven

Guileless said:
New Stephen King book announced, due out in November of this year. Sounds interesting:

Jake Epping is a thirty-five-year-old high school English teacher in Lisbon Falls, Maine, who makes extra money teaching adults in the GED program. He receives an essay from one of the students—a gruesome, harrowing first person story about the night 50 years ago when Harry Dunning’s father came home and killed his mother, his sister, and his brother with a hammer. Harry escaped with a smashed leg, as evidenced by his crooked walk.

Not much later, Jake’s friend Al, who runs the local diner, divulges a secret: his storeroom is a portal to 1958. He enlists Jake on an insane—and insanely possible—mission to try to prevent the Kennedy assassination. So begins Jake’s new life as George Amberson and his new world of Elvis and JFK, of big American cars and sock hops, of a troubled loner named Lee Harvey Oswald and a beautiful high school librarian named Sadie Dunhill, who becomes the love of Jake’s life—a life that transgresses all the normal rules of time.

I'd read that. SK has always put his love of the 60s in his novels, though rarely (if ever) has actually set it during that time. I think I'd enjoy reading him basically reminisce while telling a fantastic tale.

For the people reading Washington - how 'dry' is it? Would someone that wants to read it after a long day of work be incredibly bored with it? Or is it more on the level of a David McCullough book where you're learning but its fascinating as well?

Guileless

bengraven said:
I'd read that. SK has always put his love of the 60s in his novels, though rarely (if ever) has actually set it during that time. I think I'd enjoy reading him basically reminisce while telling a fantastic tale.

I really liked the short story Heart in Atlantis about the 60s college students dealing with the possibility of getting drafted.

Kawl_USC

Guileless said:

I for one am terribly surprised at the exotic locale that the main character comes from. King is really shaking things up having Jake come from Small Town, Maine.

Joking aside, that does sound interesting and King's last novel, Under the Dome was the first book I read on my Kindle and I loved it as I have most of King's stuff. So I'll most likely be picking this up when it comes out.

Guileless said:

I like how paragraphs 1 and 2 aren't even remotely related, other than they share a guy named Jake.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
bengraven said:
Starship Troopers - I'm eating up BSG right now, so I'm finding myself wanting similar works. I created a thread and got some great suggestions of further reading and for now I'm going to finish this and move on to the Honor Harrington novels.

Make sure you also read The Forever War by Joe Haldeman and Old Man's War by John Scalzi. Two novels that take a similar motif but execute it more enjoyably.

Maklershed said:
For the people reading Washington - how 'dry' is it? Would someone that wants to read it after a long day of work be incredibly bored with it? Or is it more on the level of a David McCullough book where you're learning but its fascinating as well?

Well, Chernow has won the Pulitzer for a reason. Still, I think the main draw of this Washington (as opposed to all the others), is how complete Washington's papers are now, versus what other biographers had access to. Still, I've only read the first few chapters, which suffer from what ALL bios of Washington suffer from: his early years just aren't that well known, so all bios breeze through them, which, while not their fault, is frustrating nonetheless. I'm eager to read the rest, however...

Guileless

Reading 1,000 page monster hardcovers (which this new King book is supposed to be) is much easier on the Kindle. I haven't read Under the Dome yet but it is popular in these reading threads and most people like it. I haven't read any Stephen King at all since Dreamcatcher. I had a job in school watching the door of a sorority house at night and his long pageturners got me through many nights.

FCIC Report.

I recently got a kindle and I have to resist the urge to buy nearly everything I hear about on public radio/The Daily Show. Anyone have tips for resisting this temptation?

bengraven

Cyan said:
Ah, I see there's already a 500 page thread on this. Should've known better. :neogaf

Oh hey, welcome to the party Cyan! Sorry, someone drank the last of the punch an hour ago, but we put the last of the pizza away in the fridge, so you should be able to get a plate together. Sorry but only anchovies left.

Invisible_Insane said:
FCIC Report.

I recently got a kindle and I have to resist the urge to buy nearly everything I hear about on public radio/The Daily Show. Anyone have tips for resisting this temptation?

Yeah, but I'd get in trouble. hahaha

Reading-Gaf I need some help. I haven't really read anything in a while. I think my last novel I read was either A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore or Swan Song by Robert R. McCammon. But lately I haven't really been into reading and haven't been able to get into a book. Well I have Under The Dome that I have been really wanting to read but my concern is will I be drawn in? My only experience with SK is the Dark Tower series and Duma Key. DT series I loved until book 5 at which point I wish I had just stopped reading, and Duma Key I wasn't a fan of at all.

With how I took to the DT series and Duma Key would you recommend Under the Dome? Also taking into account that A Dirty Job and Swan Song may be two of my favorite books I have read in a long time.

Kawl_USC

Invisible_Insane said:
FCIC Report.

Download samples of everything you are thinking of buying. Let your thoughts on them stew for a day or two before you make any purchases. I find that usually after I do this I realize that hey, I already have 3 dozen other books on the Kindle and on my bookshelf ready to go and while that book sounds interesting, its not interesting enough to drop 10 dollars on when I have plenty of other stuff to read. Plus I find this time allows the NEW SHINY phase to pass on the idea of a book and you can better gauge your actual interest. Of course sometimes you just say fuck it and buy a book right when you see it cause you know you are gonna read nothing else until that book gets read.

Just my two cents that have helped me get over buying like a dozen books in the span of a few hours since I know that the vast majority of those books will not get read immediately.

Bliany

Danielsan said:
daytripper
It may not quite fit the thread seeing as it is a comic, but my god what an amazing book. Started today and I'm about halfway through. It's so well written and the art and colouring are gorgeous.

Love the cover. I'm going to have to check this out.

Just finished this. Was my first Arthur C Clark novel and I really enjoyed it. I'm going to have to check out 2001.
5494270645_26056b8f29.jpg

Time to move on to something a little heavier.
5494270717_fefd721f37.jpg

Blatz

HiroProtagonist said:
51DUM%2BeQbbL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Best new fantasy out. Amazing. If you haven't read The Name of the Wind, you must.

Best release day ever. I'm seriously geeking out right now.

Edit: I'm(?)

This!

Guileless

I do the same as Kawl_USC. Whenever I hear about something interesting or read a review of a book that sounds good, I download the free Kindle sample (or if there's no Kindle version put it on my wishlist). I created a sample folder that has 30-something samples in it that I go through when I feel like trying something new. It's free so there's no reason not to try the sample first.

danwarb

thomaser said:
41nVGTV6o0L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë, for the second time. The Bedford edition with critical studies. Heathcliff is such an awesome character...
I've just read this for the first time, while working my way through a load of the free classics on iBooks & kindle. My only previous familiarity with the story being the Kate Bush song, it was good.

Finished reading Better, by Atul Gawande, and Jamie Carragher's autobiography this past week.

Part way through The God Instinct, by Jesse Bering; motivated by the evolution thread.

Danielsan

Bliany said:
Love the cover. I'm going to have to check this out.
I finished it just now and I highly recommend it. First time a comic made me tear up, and multiple times to boot. It's a celebration of life and definitely a book that I imagine I will return to more than once.

I will probably start my fourth Murakami book, Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, tomorrow. Looking forward to it.

Currently Reading (Most progress to least):
Philip Pullman - The Amber Spyglass
Dave Barry - History of the Milennium (So Far)
Richard Dawkins - The God Delusion
Douglas Adams - Last Chance to See
Ayn Rand - Atlas Shrugged

Reading next:
Greg Bear - Halo Cryptum
Jeff Smith - Bone (One Volume Edition)
Frank Herbert - Dune Messiah

I probably have too many in-progress novels, but I tend to jump between them fairly often (i.e. one next to the toilet, one at the nightstand).

finowns

zmoney said:
Just finished The Wise Man's Fear, and i'm afraid that I'm going to have to wait another 3 years to find out what happens to Kvothe next. Good news is that Pat Rothfuss is having a book signing here in Boston in 2 weeks so I can ask him if he plans on trying to get that book written any faster. I just need to know what happens next lol.

He actually said that the third book was likely to come out sooner. But it would take as long as it took to be finished. :(

He also said he would like to do more stories in the same world. Without Kvothe I don't know how I feel about that.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
finowns said:
He actually said that the third book was likely to come out sooner. But it would take as long as it took to be finished. :(

He also said he would like to do more stories in the same world. Without Kvothe I don't know how I feel about that.

From what I'm hearing, the third volume, The Doors of Stone, needs as much work as The Wise Man's Fear, due to all the additional/changed content in the first two volumes. I wouldn't start worrying about it until 2014 at the earliest.

aidan said:
From what I'm hearing, the third volume, The Doors of Stone, needs as much work as The Wise Man's Fear, due to all the additional/changed content in the first two volumes. I wouldn't start worrying about it until 2014 at the earliest.

Did anyone notice on his acknowledgements page:

"To my clever beta readers, for their invaluable help and toleration of my paranoid secrecy."

He beta tests his manuscripts? Is that normal? And more importantly: How do I become a beta reader?

finowns

HiroProtagonist said:
Did anyone notice on his acknowledgements page:

"To my clever beta readers, for their invaluable help and toleration of my paranoid secrecy."

He beta tests his manuscripts? Is that normal? And more importantly: How do I become a beta reader?

Jim Butcher does this.

finowns

zmoney said:

Yes, but how do I become a beta reader.

Probably have to get involved when an author is new. Butcher uses people from his message boards that have been there since Storm Front came out.

I've swapped a colossus for a behemoth; finished Wise Man's Fear and started:

51FKUEeqMhL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It's a bit melodramatic and annoying thus far, but it's the finale of Malazan's main narrative thread, so it's difficult to look away as the largest convergence yet approaches. A pity that so few of the players are ones which populated the earlier books - there has to be a comparative lack of connection with many of these Johnny-come-lately Ascendants and the like. Not far into it, though.

finowns said:
Interesting Theories:

Lady Lockless (sp?) being Kvothes Aunt. His mother being the elder sister who ran off with the Ruh.
Ambrose becoming the King Kvothe Killed.

That first one is pretty good and would explain a lot about the severity of her reaction to Kvothe.
As to the king Kvothe kills, I've been confused as to whether or not he has done that yet, probably because I haven't read the first volume since it came out. But I guess it would be too neat a story if the ending is that Old (okay, middle-aged) Kvothe has to go on a suicidal rampage to kill the King and end the war he started. Ambrose makes sense, too - although wouldn't a dozen or so people have to die for him to sit on the throne? It would be interesting to see what could make that happen, if it does actually happen.

zmoney said:
Good news is that Pat Rothfuss is having a book signing here in Boston in 2 weeks so I can ask him if he plans on trying to get that book written any faster. I just need to know what happens next lol.

Things will not go anything like you think it will if you ask him that.

Krowley

I haven't read anything in ages, so I decided to tackle "The Book of the New Sun" by Gene Wolfe. I've been hearing that it's the best Sci-Fi/Fantasy book of all time and other similar praise for a while now, so I finally decided to give it a go.

To make a long story short, I almost made it to the end of "Shadow and Claw," which comprises the first two books, when I finally got frustrated with the constant self-indulgence and tossed it.

Gene Wolfe is very clever and he's a good writer, but when the choice is between entertaining the reader and showing how clever he can be, he always chooses the latter option, at least in this series. He's created a fascinating world, but reading his book is like viewing that world through a filthy pane of glass. You pick up specks here and there, but large portions are purposefully hidden so that the author can make the reader work harder. I don't mind being an active participant in the reading experience, but there is a limit to my tolerance for that sort of gamesmanship, and he just crossed it. There were parts of the book that I really liked, but they were too few and too far between.

I may try some of the author's other books at some point in the future because I did see some praiseworthy things, but it won't happen for a while.

Commodore

The Count of Monte Cristo, for the first time. 300 pg/20% in and I'm hooked. I've known the story a long time, but the novel itself is something else. Love my Kindle.

Dresden

Krowley said:
I may try some of the author's other books at some point in the future because I did see some praiseworthy things, but it won't happen for a while.
Book of the Short Sun is better. Give that a try later.

Top Bottom