• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (March 2015)

Jintor

The Thrawn Trilogy is great.

I wanted to grab the X-Wing series but the sample really turned me off, the formatting is rubbish.

ShaneB

Was in a bit of a funk with what to follow up the last book I read, that sense of wondering if anything would be as good, and kept bouncing back and forth. I see the Kindle daily deals and it seems they did their part in choosing something I should really love, and the reviews seem incredible, so I'll start this next.

Thrown by Kerry Howley
20949601.jpg

X-Frame

In that case, read Halo: The Fall of Reach, Halo: First Strike, Halo: Ghosts of Onyx, all of them by Eric Nylund, and Halo: Glasslands(written by a different person, part of a new trilogy, set around Halo 4) follows them. I've only read the first one from the new trilogy, not sure about the quality of the later two. Rest can be skipped.

Is Glasslands somewhat of a sequel to Ghosts of Onyx? That was my favorite of the 3 or 4 Halo books I read as I liked all the Spartan characters in that one, and the ending left on a huge cliffhanger if I remember correctly.

fakefaker

How was Cold Hillside?

It was good, a bit draggy at times, but some moments really moved me. The world building was remarkable, original, very realistic and held nothing back which was refreshing. If you're willing to read fantasy that's more about politics and characterization, then I think you'll enjoy it.

Is Glasslands somewhat of a sequel to Ghosts of Onyx? That was my favorite of the 3 or 4 Halo books I read as I liked all the Spartan characters in that one, and the ending left on a huge cliffhanger if I remember correctly.
I forgot tons of details, but I remember half of the story is about the Spartans and Dr. Halsey after they went to a Shield World, the other half is ONI dealing with some shady shit.

braves01

Banned
After a long hiatus, I finally finished The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell last night.

Boy, it really went straight up Harry Potter near the end, and am I to understand that *big picture David Mitchell novels spoiler*
all his books are interconnected or in the same universe? Or is it just distracting, cheap, tongue-in-cheek references to his older books?
. The writing's still really good for the most part in the smaller episodic chunks and for a few of the main characters, but I found the overall sweep of the plot pretty weak and the pop culture references annoyed me. Especially the Bieber name drop. Am I just over David Mitchell? Someone please redact my memory of the bad parts.

huxley00

I gave up on The Saint. It was interesting, but not what I'm in the mood for, and moved on to:
Ubik(1stEd).jpg

which I am devouring. Blew through a quarter of it in a single sitting and with any luck will finish it today. I love it.

I just picked up a collection of his short stories from the library, I love his writing so much. I guess I like "weird" in general, HP Lovecraft, Dick etc.

As a public service announcement, I'd highly recommend people pickup a local library card. You can login to their website and easily download e-books right to your Kindle. It helps me save quite a bit of money.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
So, the 2015 Hugo Award Nomination period closed last night at midnight. I posted my final ballot, which includes lots of good SFF-related stuff, but I thought it would be fun to repost my Best Novel selections here, too.

• City of Stairs by Robert Jackson Bennett — Even as I was startled by its twisted depth, I adored every moment I spent with City of Stairs. Colonialism lies at its centre, and RJB handles it with equal parts boldness and delicacy. The ruined beauty of Bulikov and its fallen gods haunted me long after I turned the final page.
  • Ancillary Sword by Ann Leckie (Review) — Will Ancillary Sword be able to recapture its predecessor’s lightning-in-a-bottle success? Probably not, but it’s one of the year’s best novels and, due to its more focused storyline, smoother narrative, and introspective thematic elements, I actually liked it better than Ancillary Justice. No sophmore slump for Leckie.
  • The Eternal Sky Trilogy by Elizabeth Bear (Review) — Calling on the Wheel of Time rule, I’m including Bear’s trilogy here as a bit of a self-indulgence and pie-in-the-sky dream scenario. The Eternal Sky trilogy — Range of Ghosts, Shattered Pillars, and Steles of the Sky — is a fascinating epic fantasy that eschews the tired medieval tropes the genre is known for and replaces with a vivid world based on the Turkish-Mongolian khanates of 13th century Asia.
  • The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison — In a modern fantasy landscape that is littered with the broken corpses left in Grimdark’s wake, Katherine Addison (a pseudonym for Sarah Monette) is a shining light, a beacon of nostalgia and hope on the horizon.
  • Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel (Review) — A quiet, riveting post-apocalyptic tale that succeeds because Mandel avoids playing prophet of the apocalypse and shifts focus to the intense personal relationships of the novel’s various protagonists. Beautiful.
Just missing my ballot was The Mirror Empire by Kameron Hurley and Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer (thanks, GAF!) Anyone else nominate for the Hugos? What were your favourite SFF reads of 2014?

After struggling to get through the fourth book of The Dresden Files I think I'm done with the series. It's not that I really dislike it, I just get bored while reading it. It largely feels like paint by numbers or very formulaic. With this fourth one especially. It never seemed even important to remember any of the characters. You pretty much meet everyone once and then it gets down to the ending and some people you hopefully remember the names of get revealed to be behind everything. Then nothing really comes out of a large aspect of the first half of the book. I'm just not sure I'm interested enough to continue the series.

Take it from someone who is six or seven books into the series: you've made a wise decision. They all follow almost the exact same story flow, nothing has any sort of long term consequence, and the writing just isn't great. I end up reading a new one when I can't think of anything else to read or stuff is on hold at the library.

So, the 2015 Hugo Award Nomination period closed last night at midnight. I posted my final ballot, which includes lots of good SFF-related stuff, but I thought it would be fun to repost my Best Novel selections here, too.

I look to your lists for suggestions, so I'm grateful. City of Stairs and Annihilation are two favorites. I have everything else on your list already queued up on Goodreads.

Necrovex

Finished the Martian after three days (my free time nowadays amazes me), and it was a very well written survivalist story.

After some thought I'm moving onto Harry Potter. My opinions have been colored for years and I want to revisit JK's works. Since I last read the last book a decade back, I'm counting it for the 50/50 challenge. Suck it!

Take it from someone who is six or seven books into the series: you've made a wise decision. They all follow almost the exact same story flow, nothing has any sort of long term consequence, and the writing just isn't great. I end up reading a new one when I can't think of anything else to read or stuff is on hold at the library.

Good to know.

Up next for me to read:

20170404.jpg

I take it these are pretty good? Haven't read Scarrow yet...

'I really don't need this kind of competition... It's a great read'
(Bernard Cornwell )

Scarrow does great accurate historical detail, and writes good action sequences so I can forgive slack characterisation, although the main protagonists get fleshed out over the series ... It's as good as any of the other 'Roman' historical novels (excepting Robert Graves) and better than most.

His Standalone novel on the great siege of Malta: The Sword and the Scimitar is damned good also.

'I really don't need this kind of competition... It's a great read'
(Bernard Cornwell )

Scarrow does great accurate historical detail, and writes good action sequences so I can forgive slack characterisation, although the main protagonists get fleshed out over the series ... It's as good as any of the other 'Roman' historical novels (excepting Robert Graves) and better than most.

His Standalone novel on the great siege of Malta: The Sword and the Scimitar is damned good also.

Thanks! Not concerned about shallow-ish characterization - it's not like Cornwell is a master of character, either. Doesn't mean I don't love his writing.

obin_gam

I had to jump out of Green Mars. It became terribly slow after about 50% of the book and I just couldnt get myself to care anymore. Too bad. Red mars was one of the best books I've read in my life. This was just... bad.

Jumping into something quite a lot lighter now as a change of pace.
Am a couple of chapters into it and while I wish it could be more 1 story instead of several small happenings, it's entertaining enough to not bore me.
it's also fun to get the opportunity to start reading the new Star Wars canon from the beginning. I never got to do that with the Legends stuff, so now I will instead try to devour as much as possible. Tarkin is the best one yet though.

20174424.jpg

Just finished: City of Stairs

Great book. Did see some of the twists coming a mile away. Don't know if that was intended or not. Pretty unique universe, loved the characters (Sigrud is the man) and looking forward to more later this year. Pre-ordered City of Blades already, so I don't forget in time.

Going to browse through the thread for some recommendations and see what I have on my Kindle to read still.

Zona

I've read City of Stairs, The Goblin Emperor, and Hyperion. All where excellent in there own way. City of Stairs had the imagination of China Miéville without the seemingly pathological reliance on a word of the day calendar and thesaurus. The Goblin Emperor was a wonderful bit of Court Intrigue with a much more Optimistic outlook then I've recently seen in this apparent era of Grimdark. Hyperion felt slightly dated but I liked the Canterbury Tales in Space theme. Thank you to everyone who recommended them.

I also got halfway through Royal Assassin by Hobb but have had to give it up. It's not that it's badly written, far from it, it's that the main character seems to be suffering from a realistically portrayed case of depression which is not something I want to be reading about in my current mental state. I may pick it back up in brighter days as I hate to leave a book unfinished but it's just not for me right now.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
20174424.jpg

Just finished: City of Stairs

Great book. Did see some of the twists coming a mile away. Don't know if that was intended or not. Pretty unique universe, loved the characters (Sigrud is the man) and looking forward to more later this year. Pre-ordered City of Blades already, so I don't forget in time.

Going to browse through the thread for some recommendations and see what I have on my Kindle to read still.

I've read City of Stairs, The Goblin Emperor, and Hyperion.

Picked up City of Stairs and The Goblin Emperor.

Will start one of them next.

Yesssss. RJB continues his domination of GAF's reading time.

Narag

So I've been pushing through the Rothfuss stuff and couldn't quite understand why The Wise Man's Fear seemed to be reviled compared to The Name of the Wind as it seemed to just be more of the same until...

This is as bad as his feud with notMalfoy at notHogwart's in the first book.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The book was a critical and commercial success, debuting at the top of the New York Times Fantasy list.[8][9] It also reached the top of the New York Times '​ Hardcover Fiction list approximately three weeks after its release.[10] Author George R.R. Martin blogged that "The Wise Man's Fear was worth the wait. I gulped it down in a day, staying up almost to dawn reading, and I am already itching for the next one. He's bloody good, this Rothfuss guy."
laugh.gif

Dresden

It really bugs me that the fairy's patter isn't capitalized for reasons, unless she's referring to herself, in which case the i is now an I. I'm sure Rothfuss is just hinting at her narcissistic self-regard that trivializes everything else around her to a sadly uncapitalized state.

bengraven

Speaking of narcissists, I love Rothfuss but we better get some payout in the next book. I've never read a writer who asks 50 questions for 1 he barely answers.

Ok, I haven't read The Road, so maybe he dumbs it way down. But I have read Blood Meridian, and, uh... what?

You should read it.
Should I?
Yes.
So it's good?
Yes.
Yes.
Yes.
I think I will.
You should.
I will.
Good.
We carry the fire.
Fuck'n right.

bengraven

9850443.jpg

I'm liking it a bit so far. Definitely wears it's "post-modern western" badge on it's sleeve (aka the "I'm a literature novel, not a 'western' thank you") thanks to the heavy emphasis on dialogue and allegory over actual description. Reminds me of The Hawkline Monster: A Gothic Western in that regards, which as I said after I read that book was neither gothic nor western. But I have to say I'm enjoying it much much better than that horrid piece of shit.

It's a rambling series of encounters in the old west with two brothers that have some really enjoyable dialogue.

25% in and just got to the "California" section and honestly kind of hoping it starts going faster or we get some more to the plot than sibling abuse and horses.

We all carry the fire.

Damn, started thinking about it and saw some gifs on GIS and damn...

I can't watch the film, I canNOT watch it. The book devastated me.

It was good, a bit draggy at times, but some moments really moved me. The world building was remarkable, original, very realistic and held nothing back which was refreshing. If you're willing to read fantasy that's more about politics and characterization, then I think you'll enjoy it.
Excellent. Thanks.

Nuke Soda

Within the last 90 pages of The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater, it is a sequel to The Raven Boys.

It is alright, but it feels like sequel the book, hopefully that makes sense. What I mean is that it feels like the first book, but on a slightly bigger scale. We learn more about the three Raven Boys and honestly I don't like any of them; Gansey is manipulative, Adam is sexist, and Ronan is a horrid hypocrite. Blue sadly is not a character, she is more like a set of wacky clothes wearing a person. Though I must say The Grey Man and Maura (Blue's Mother) are pretty interesting, a book with a case of way more interesting side characters. Don't get me wrong, I still want to finish it and read the sequel to see where this story goes. I just unfortunately don't care about the characters, but then again a good story is more than likable characters. Hopefully my opinion changes by the ending, which I hope to reach tonight.

Piecake

51AWFQN8WzL._SL500_AA300_PIaudible,BottomRight,13,73_AA300_.jpg

Just finished listening to this and it was quite fascinating. It really is rather amazing that no one ever told me this stuff when I was in school or college.

The-Well-of-Ascension.jpg

Yeah I'm late on this one. I'm enjoying it though. Grabbed the whole trilogy because I had read the first one a few years ago and loved it but for reasons I can't remember never did pick the others up despite intending to. I'm fixing that now.

VanWinkle

Yeah I'm late on this one. I'm enjoying it though. Grabbed the whole trilogy because I had read the first one a few years ago and loved it but for reasons I can't remember never did pick the others up despite intending to. I'm fixing that now.

Most people disagree, but that one was my favorite of the three, although I really loved all of them.

Lumiere

Neo Member

• City of Stairs by Robert Jackson Bennett — Even as I was startled by its twisted depth, I adored every moment I spent with City of Stairs. Colonialism lies at its centre, and RJB handles it with equal parts boldness and delicacy. The ruined beauty of Bulikov and its fallen gods haunted me long after I turned the final page.
  • Ancillary Sword by Ann Leckie (Review) — Will Ancillary Sword be able to recapture its predecessor’s lightning-in-a-bottle success? Probably not, but it’s one of the year’s best novels and, due to its more focused storyline, smoother narrative, and introspective thematic elements, I actually liked it better than Ancillary Justice. No sophmore slump for Leckie.
  • The Eternal Sky Trilogy by Elizabeth Bear (Review) — Calling on the Wheel of Time rule, I’m including Bear’s trilogy here as a bit of a self-indulgence and pie-in-the-sky dream scenario. The Eternal Sky trilogy — Range of Ghosts, Shattered Pillars, and Steles of the Sky — is a fascinating epic fantasy that eschews the tired medieval tropes the genre is known for and replaces with a vivid world based on the Turkish-Mongolian khanates of 13th century Asia.
  • The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison — In a modern fantasy landscape that is littered with the broken corpses left in Grimdark’s wake, Katherine Addison (a pseudonym for Sarah Monette) is a shining light, a beacon of nostalgia and hope on the horizon.
  • Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel (Review) — A quiet, riveting post-apocalyptic tale that succeeds because Mandel avoids playing prophet of the apocalypse and shifts focus to the intense personal relationships of the novel’s various protagonists. Beautiful.
Just missing my ballot was The Mirror Empire by Kameron Hurley and Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer (thanks, GAF!) Anyone else nominate for the Hugos? What were your favourite SFF reads of 2014?
I haven't read the Eternal Sky trilogy yet (will remedy sometimes this year, hopefully), but I loved everything else on your list (including those that just missed your ballot) =] I'd say that my very favorite is The Goblin Emperor, with City of Stairs a close second.

Overall I was very happy with the 2014 releases I've read so far, hope this year is as good!

World War Z'a premise is interesting, however I don't think Max Brooks is good at writing people. There are interviewees from all over the globe, and most of them feel fake, artificial, to me. It seemed like the author didn't know how to write people of different nationality and ethnicity at all, they were all filled with clichés, and both stereotyped and eager to stereotype other people(profiling, throwing nicknames around...). Special terms were unnecessarily brought up with explanations dumped on you for no good reasons other than a pathetic attempt to add more flavor, to make it all seemed more "authentic". I mean who talks like that? Normal people would replace them with easier to understand names that achieve the same thing. Right now I'm a quarter in, not sure if I should continue reading.

Nymerio

What's with this cover? Didn't the mistborn carry these glass daggers? What's with the huge ass sword? Or did she use some sword from the koloss at one point?

Necrovex

I'll follow your reading suggestion in between breaks of my Harry Potter reread.

I also forgot how much I enjoyed this series. The Gaf opinion must have really tainted my perception of it. A third of the way of the first book and I'm really liking it.

Nymerio

Ah, ok. I think some glass daggers would look cooler on the cover. I think I'll have to re-read the books at one point, it's been some time since I've read them.

So I've been pushing through the Rothfuss stuff and couldn't quite understand why The Wise Man's Fear seemed to be reviled compared to The Name of the Wind as it seemed to just be more of the same until...

This is as bad as his feud with notMalfoy at notHogwart's in the first book.

My eyes are burning after reading that. I'm sure it's a fine book - as was the first - but that's some terrible writing right there.

X-Frame

I'm halfway through The Crimson Campaign and it is non-stop page turning action. I'm impressed Brian McClellan has been able to keep it up for so long and I still have another 300 pages to go.

I am enjoying a lot better than the first one so far, Promise of Blood.

Jintor

I brought a copy of (Discworld's) Night Watch with me to Japan. I guess I'll read it again for the... what... fifth, sixth time?

Vale, Sir Terry.

Top Bottom