• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading (May 2012)

Daigoro

The-Forever-War-Cover1.jpg

I don't know anything about it other than its short and considered one of the best stories (sci-fi or otherwise) ever written. So i'm pretty hyped.

ive been eyeballing this one myself. ive been in the mood for some good sci-fi and saw that one on Amazon. didnt buy it yet, but im interested.

I hope they push the Kindle firmware so I can hide my bloody progress bar soon. That thing kicks my OCD tendencies around like nobody's business.

are they doing this for all models or only certain ones? i have a kindle keyboard and i would really love to disable the progress bar. bugs the shit out of me.

Barry Hughart's last Master Li and Number Ten Ox novel. It slays me what the publishers did to him.

9GvhC.jpg

i read one of the books a long time ago and remember loving it. havent reread it since or any of the other books. looks like the tirlogy is on Amazon for $10 on Kindle. i think im going to check it out.

what did the publishers do to him?

edit: im reading his wiki page now.

edit 2: i bought it, so this is what im reading now (the trilogy).

huh i only had Story of the Stone, so i never read the first book! damn. starting it now!

Ratrat

Halfway through Kafka on the Shore by Murakami. Also finished Red Seas Under Red Skies which was quite a bit worse than the first book. Adult Locke is an awful character.

Fou-Lu

Halfway through The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss. Do we know how long he is planning the series to be?

The Kingkiller Chronicle is to be a trilogy, so only one more book. However, Rothfuss has stated that he plans on continuing to write in the world he created for this series for as long as he can. He has yet to say anything about whether or not he will continue Kvothe's tale.

Frost_Ace

That book and the sequel A Wild Sheep Chase are the only two Murakami books I sold after I read them and don't intend to buy again. Wasn't really bad or anything but I thought it was pretty weak against the rest of his work.

Which one of his books would you suggest me to buy?

T.O.P

Banned
Gonna have a 12+ hours flight on June so i'm preparing something in my eReader

Zombie addict here so i instantly grabbed Feed and Deadline from the previous posts (no ebook in italian yet, gonna try them in eng) :D

Also just bought Hunger Games, want to understand all the fuss around it

How did you feel about this one after finishing it? I started reading this the other day but I got so bored after chapter 3. I ended up starting to read another book that grabbed me right away. Just wondering if I'm missing out on anything amazing.

In all honesty, I just felt it was OK. There were certain "scenes" that really grabbed me, but overall it was kind of meh. The ending was really weird, too.

Picked all three of these up for $.99 as a Kindle Deal of the Day. Absolutely fantastic young adult novels about two teenagers on a planet where everyone can hear each other's thoughts. The ending of the first book is heart-wrenching. I'm about a quarter of the way through the third. You can buy the whole trilogy together as one book on Kindle.

jpUG2.jpg

MHUrf.jpg

6fwDA.jpg

DirtRiver

Ender%27s_shadow_cover.jpg

Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card

I finished the Ender's saga last week with the Children of the Mind and was ready for more stories on thi s universe, especially from Bean who was one of my favorite characters from Ender's Game(and is proving to be way more interesting now that he is a main character himself).

Those wanting to read The Forever War: Do it. It's an excellent sci-fi book although sometimes disorienting with how much time passes from each chapter to the next.

i read one of the books a long time ago and remember loving it. havent reread it since or any of the other books. looks like the tirlogy is on Amazon for $10 on Kindle. i think im going to check it out.

what did the publishers do to him?

edit: im reading his wiki page now.

edit 2: i bought it, so this is what im reading now (the trilogy).

huh i only had Story of the Stone, so i never read the first book! damn. starting it now!

I'm on the hunt for non-western fantasy and this is among the best out there. You'll love the first novel!

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
The_Brothers_Karamazov.jpg

Just started this one. My first Dostoevsky novel.

So far so good, but goddamn at all the commas. Still need to get used to that.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
After that I'll tackle

076536543X.jpg

Though I haven't gotten it yet. Ordered it last week so most likely it will be here today.

I am just finishing up book 2 of this series. It's fantastic, so much better than I thought.

acc_2010odys.jpg

I'm tearing through this right now. Loved the first book and movie. This isn't as good as the first but I still really like it.

038533348X.jpg

I'm in the middle of this, too. It's starting to lose it's momentum but I still enjoy Vonnegut's writing style. His social commentary is still one of the best.

mzl.fyvfntlt.320x480-75.jpg

Always wanted to know more about this man. It's dense but I'm really enjoying it.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Halfway through The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss. Do we know how long he is planning the series to be?

Like stated above, it is supposed to be three books to tell Kvothe's story. Remember Kvothe saying he needed three days to tell his story?

He could always call book Three King Killer Chronicles Day 2.5

I'm on around page 780. It's been an enticing read, but like the first book he needs to hire a decent editor to shorten specific arcs. Trebon took forever in the first book and the same thing happened in the second book with
Bandit and Felurian
arcs.

Re-read
Halo_-_The_Fall_of_Reach.jpg

After not having read any Halo books for a good few years, I decided to revisit the series, starting with the fall of reach. While this book isn't a masterpiece, it's still one of my favorite "fun" reads. It provides such an interesting look into the history of the Spartans, it really transcends the source material. Almost makes me want to play some Halo again. Anyone else read any of these books?

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Went to the library a few days ago and picked up

Everything Here is the Best Thing Ever
In Which Brief Stories Are Told
Big Sur

I've got 2 weeks and finished 1 book so far. I might finish early.

Blatz

Now reading...
51OL%2BYxNulL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-63,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Really looking forward to the Gentlemen Bastards Book 3 and the new Joe Abercrombie book. They should both be out this year, hopefully.

NekoFever

Filling a hole in my back catalogue at the moment:

GGqbu.jpg

I'm almost finished with Restaurant at the End of the Universe and really like it all so far. The asides and nonsense explanations for things are just brilliant.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
A Game of Thrones.

It's amazing to me how well HBO has adapted the book into a killer show.

gcubed

Filling a hole in my back catalogue at the moment:

http://i.imgur.com/GGqbu.jpg[/IM1G]

I'm almost finished with Restaurant at the End of the Universe and really like it all so far. The asides and nonsense explanations for things are just brilliant.[/QUOTE]

absolutely love those books. Just finished up Neuromancer. Fan-freaking-tastic.

DieH@rd sold me on Feed, i'll give it a try.

Just finished 2010: Odyssey Two. I'm not a fan. I thought it was decent but I enjoyed the structure of 2001 a lot better than the sequel. I'm not going to finish the series knowing it's more of the same of 2010.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
I cannot recommend this enought! BRILIANT zombie novels about post apocaliptic future where mankind managed to survive the initial zombie pandemic, but are still chained in fear [everyone is infected and can potentialy become a zombie]. Fantastic characters, good story, excellent environment, and insane endings [in both novels].

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/8/2010/05/340x_grant_feed-mm.jpg[img]

[img]http://www.abload.de/img/deadline-coveru7zyp.jpg[img]

If you like zombie genre, you can rarely find better books than these two. [B]Both were nominated for Hugo awars for best novel[/B] [Feed in 2011, Deadline in 2012 [awaiting results]].

I've listened to audiobooks, and both were great.[/QUOTE]

Been looking for a [I]quality[/I] zombie book besides World War Z, so I'll have to give these a look.

Currently reading/rereading (haven't finished all of them) -

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/D6jkz.jpg
The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

God I love adams's writing.

meijiko

9EjP7.jpg

Currently reading this until the next Mortal Instruments book comes out in five days. So far I like it better, but TMI is kind of a guilty pleasure of mine.

Lumiere

Neo Member
Just finished reading this:

51h87Duc9IL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-64,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Started this two days ago, I got it earlier last month when it was still in Prime's lending library and it's been very interesting so far.

51cga9q7zFL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-69,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Finished Eight Skilled Gentlemen, which was just so amazing I can't put it into words. Barry Hughart is such a talent...I wish he'd come back to writing novels.

Anyway, did a 180 and started Chuck Wendig's new novel BLACKBIRDS:

feNGQ.jpg

Which has one of the coolest covers I've ever seen. It's a frenetic read and hard to put down.

Ceebs

Finished Eight Skilled Gentlemen, which was just so amazing I can't put it into words. Barry Hughart is such a talent...I wish he'd come back to writing novels.

Anyway, did a 180 and started Chuck Wendig's new novel BLACKBIRDS:

feNGQ.jpg

Which has one of the coolest covers I've ever seen. It's a frenetic read and hard to put down.

I instantly think of Death from Sandman when I see that.

Jintor

Goddamnit I hope I got paid yesterday and it's just taking time to clear my bank. Can't even afford $5 Kindle books right now :|

Davedough

I need a recommendation Lit-GAF.

I have a hankering for Greek Mythology. I want a non-fiction recount of the Greek God structure as a whole from Hades in the Underworld, through Tartalus and all the way up to Mount Olympus, outlining every God and Demigod in their ranks and how they relate to one another. The problem I'm having is finding a book that doesn't read like a dry college text book. Anyone know of something that can satiate that need and preferably has a Kindle format?

I've begun a read-through of Marshall McLuhan's "The Mechanical Bride," which almost seems like a description of the modern world but which reads as pure prophecy when you take into account the fact that it was written 60 years again. Golfham.

I have a hankering for Greek Mythology. I want a non-fiction recount of the Greek God structure as a whole from Hades in the Underworld, through Tartalus and all the way up to Mount Olympus, outlining every God and Demigod in their ranks and how they relate to one another. The problem I'm having is finding a book that doesn't read like a dry college text book. Anyone know of something that can satiate that need and preferably has a Kindle format?

I certainly cant help you. I certainly have the same recommendation request though.

Dresden

You could try The Greek Myths by Robert Graves. I don't know if it has a Kindle release, though.

coldvein

Banned
juuust about to finish the dream of perpetual motion by dexter palmer. pretty good. my first "steam punk ish" read.

Top Bottom